01.

Listen To My Heartbeat [ON HOLD]

 

“Jiji ah, I’m home,”

 

It was late in the evening and Jongdae has just come back home from work. As an architect, he had to make sure to double check and go through all the plans again and again. Loosening his tie, he put down his briefcase on the desk table and poked his head in the kitchen. There was no food being served on the dining table and Hyeji is nowhere to be seen. Luckily, he already had a quick dinner at a nearby restaurant. Jongdae sighed. Ever since they were married, Hyeji had never cooked for him. It is like they were only in an empty-shell marriage. He knew Hyeji is still uncomfortable with him but every day, he keep on reminding himself that one day, Hyeji would come out of her shell and will start to treat him like a real husband.

 

Opening the refrigerator, he poured himself some milk and helped himself to an apple. I wonder if she’s already in bed. With that in thought, he quickly threw the remnants of the apple into the bin and washed his hands thoroughly, wiping them clean afterwards. He climbed up the steps and went straight to their bedroom. Twisting the doorknob, he opened the door slowly, afraid that Hyeji might be sleeping. Instead, she was leaning her back against the headboard, reading a novel and did not even realize Jongdae was home. Closing the door, he tip toed towards the end of their bed. He had always liked it when Hyeji was reading. The way she tilted her head as in confusion, the way her eyebrows would furrowed showing her deep concentration and the way her eyes would blink as if not expecting whatever the sentences that she had just read.

 

Jongdae allowed himself a couple of minutes to gaze at his lovely wife before clearing his throat. Hyeji’s head immediately snapped up from the book towards him who was standing in front of her. Her eyes widen. But the next thing that she makes, hurt him. As soon as her head snapped up, she looked back down into her book, pretending to concentrate. Even though she had done this several times, he still feels hurt whenever Hyeji decided to just ignore him. Masking his face with false bright smile, he attempted to catch her attention again.

 

“Not feeling sleepy yet?”

 

He had asked her this to which Hyeji just replied him with a shrug. Feeling slightly dejected, Jongdae went into the bathroom which was connected to their bedroom. Once inside, he looked himself in the mirror and the person looking back at him seems like a different person. This person’s eyes hold so much emotion in him that it was amazing that he is still sane. After finishing discarding his work clothes, he stepped underneath the shower head and turning on the faucet. Closing his eyes, he let the water pellets ran down smoothly on his body as if it can help to soothe the pain that he was feeling at the moment.

 

As soon as he stepped out from the bathroom, his eyes fall on the form lying down on the bed, sleeping soundly. Jongdae just shake his head as he put on a wife beater and a pyjama pants. From the first day they arrived in this house, Hyeji had warned him not to sleep to which he had treated this as a joke. But later on, he decided to comply to her wishes as he did not want to make her more uncomfortable. Climbing on the bed, he situated himself next to her and he can see that she had placed two pillows between them, creating a barrier which means that both of them cannot crossed the boundaries. Lying down on the bed, he faced Hyeji, studying her sleeping expression. This is the only time where he gets to look at his wife over and over as it brought a calming effect to him. If only she opened up more to me…

 

“I love you, Hyeji.”

 

The next day, Jongdae has gone to work as usual in the early morning. Hyeji on the other hand was munching on her breakfast in the kitchen. Before he went off, he rushed to her and planted a quick peck on her cheek which earned him a glare from her. Smiling nonchalantly, he waved goodbye and went out of the house. Hyeji huffed. Feeling annoyed by his early action, she began to wipe her cheek with the back of her hand. The nerve of him. Glancing outside the kitchen windows, her eyes follow Jongdae’s car backing out of the garage and zoomed out of sight. Taking a final sip of her latte, she went to the sink and washed the dishes.

 

Not long after that, there was a firm knock on the front door. Rinsing the last mug, she wiped her hands on a dry towel while striding towards the door, her lips forming a wide smile. A postman greeted her as she opened the door and after thanking him, she closed the door carefully. Looking down at the letter in her hands, she squealed in excitement. She practically skipped the whole stairs in order to get to her bedroom to read it. Hyeji searched her bottom drawer and pull out a pink heart shaped box. Sitting on the bed, she opened it, revealing a pile of letters. Unsealing the letter that she had just received, her eyes roamed through the content.

 

My beloved Jiji.

How are you? Did that guy treats you well? Did he do anything to you?

I’m sorry for not replying your last letter sooner since I got busy nowadays. Guess what? I’ve been offered a job as a model and the pay was quite good too. Remember what I said before? That I will come back for you once I’ve got a better job? Well, I’m planning to save all of my savings for our wedding ceremony in the future. Wait for me, okay? J

And by the way, I’ve got good news for you. Next week, I’ll be doing a photo shoot just around your area since the theme is something to do with green and nature. So, I was hoping if we could meet during my break time, how was that? I’ll be waiting for you. No need to write back. Just make sure you’re there next week, okay love?

I love you. Always.

Sincerely,

Your one and only,

Baekhyunnie.

 

Upon finished reading it, Hyeji brought the letter on her chest. Ever since she was married with Jongdae, both Baekhyun and her have been keeping in contact secretly. Baekhyun would not let a simple marriage ruin his dream of making her as his bride. They had agreed to formulate a plan so that Jongdae would file a divorce on her. Hyeji’s ignorance of his attempts to communicate with her was also a part of the plan as she was quite sure that by doing so, will increase the chances of him initiating the divorce. Hyeji placed the letter gently upon the piling letters in the box and closed it slowly. Putting it back inside the bottom drawer, she exhaled a sigh. Too bad we can’t contact each other by phone though. She knew Jongdae will get suspicious. Spreading her arms wide apart, she flopped down on the bed, facing the ceiling wearing a silly smile. She can’t wait to meet her boyfriend next week.