Comforting a Hurt Hyung

Growing Up: Sehun Style

Sehun, as the maknae, had always been cared for. He may deny this fact, he may refuse the care sometimes and he may spite the others for looking out for him, but deep down, he has always quite liked it.

It was nice, being cared for, allowed to be clumsy or immature as the youngest. His hyungs had no choice but to tolerate his brattiness and give in to his whims. Most of them, even Junmyeon, would complain about how annoying and irresponsible he was, but not Chanyeol.

Chanyeol was always there, a ready smile on his face, a shoulder to lean on, a constant and vulnerable victim to his pranks and an ear to listen to his serious thoughts and mindless whining. All this and not one word out of his mouth on Sehun's juvenile habits.

But Sehun was already nineteen. He was an adult now. He had been for the past few months, actually, and the fact that he had not changed one bit had unsettled him. It was true that he was still the youngest and so it was still his hyungs' obligation to take care of him, but the instances when he found it annoying and unnecessary had increased. His hyungs still babied him and he figured, it was probably because he DID act like a child most of the time.

"So man up." Luhan told him over the phone, when, one day, Sehun completely flipped out after Luhan cooed on the phone after he heard Sehun's voice and then proceeded to rant about how everyone treated him like a baby and how he was so tired of that. "They keep treating you like a child because you act like a child. I'm sure you know this. And so, if you want them to start treating you like an adult, it's only logical for you to start acting like an adult, right? Take some responsibility, it doesn't have to be big, and you don't have to rush, but take small steps. They'll add up soon enough."

And that is why, when one day at the airport, a resounding thud was heard after most of the EXO-K members had gone through the sliding doors and Sehun had, excited to go home, walked faster and left his Chanyeol hyung behind, Sehun was the first to count the members and turn his head to see Chanyeol, walking slowly with a slight limp, one of his hands on his forehead and his face set in a grimace. He did not see what happened, but judging from the worried looks on the fangirls' faces and their screams of 'Oppa, gwaenchanayo?', the resounding thud must have been Chanyeol getting into an clumsy accident again.

Sehun met him halfway, putting an arm around his waist. "Oh hyung, what happened?"

"Door closed on me. Squished. Hurts." Chanyeol muttered, his voice thick. He sounded like he was about to cry.

"Hey, shhh. Let's get to the other members first." Sehun said, slightly propping Chanyeol on his shoulder, letting his hyung lean against him as they walked towards the rest of EXO-K where everyone had worried looks on their faces and Junmyeon quickly rushed to Chanyeol's side, flitting about nervously. Sehun briefed him about what happened and assured Junmyeon that he would attend to Chanyeol.

"We'll get ice on that as soon as possible, okay? For now, here." Sehun opened his arms and Chanyeol burried his face on the younger's shoulder. "Everything hurts." The taller whined, his voice muffled by Sehun's jacket. Sehun could only shake his head slightly at his hyung's current state. If the thud was that loud and Chanyeol was like this, then it really must have hurt a lot. Sehun didn't know or care much about taking care of other people, seeing as he was the one who was always taken care of, but right now, he wished he did, so he would know exactly what to do in order to make his hyung feel better.


In lieu of all the things he didn't know, he wrapped his arms around his hyung and rubbed his back in a manner which he remembered his mother doing to him when he was hurt or sick. He didn't really know what to tell Chanyeol to make him feel better, but he knew he had to say something, and so he said: "Hyung, I don't know what to say to assure you everything's gonna be fine, but you can keep on leaning on me until you feel fine because it's the only thing I can do."

The taller chuckled weakly and turned his head to bury his face deeper into the side of Sehun's head. "Thanks, maknae.”

Sehun smiled to himself. Sure, he couldn't be very responsible yet. Sure, he couldn't mature right away; but if he could come to his hyung's aid and be a shoudler to lean on, he would. It was a small step alright, but it was a start.

"Our baby's growing up!" Jongin quipped from the side and he felt Chanyeol's warm breath tickle his neck when he chuckled at Jongin's teasing. He felt his face flush and he made a mental note to get back at Jongin later.

Sure he was 'growing up'; but he was definitely in no rush.

"No rush at all." He muttered as he made plans to show Kyungsoo all of the pictures Jongin had of him and all of the KaiSoo fanfics he had on his laptop. It sounded like a great plan.