When Everything is Falling Apart

When Everything is Falling Apart

 

- Kyuhyun & Yoona - 

That moment in life when we feel that everything is falling apart, when all the things that we thought to be in the right place, are not in the first place, when we feel that we’re all alone in this world, that no matter what we do, we will just end up getting hurt. Kyuhyun got used to it, for many times already, he already knew what it feels like to be left alone by his family, friends, and loved ones.

First, his father died because of a brain tumor. They thought that continuous medication will help him live longer but it seems like that his life already had its end point. Several months until finally they moved on, accepted the fact that his father will never come back. When his mother opened her heart to another guy, he knew that his mom already forgot the pain that his dad left. Well, it’s a good thing though.

But his older sister was against it, for her, no one can ever replace their father’s position in their family and his sister ended up leaving them as well, packed all her things and left a note saying: “I dont need a mother like you. It was hard for Kyuhyun and her mother to accept that she chose to leave without even clearing things out. His sister is like his best friend, the closest person in his heart but finding out that she left without saying any goodbye to him scratched a big wound in his heart.

The day of their graduation in college, he thought that it was the end and a start of a new journey but that thought slowly vanished as he found out that his best friend, Donghae, didn’t come in the ceremony. Their dreams to work in one company, to build their own company slowly faded. But he didn’t stay still and wait for his return. He went to his apartment to talk to him but found an empty one. Kyuhyun searched to every place possible until one night, he found Donghae outside their school.

Finding Donghae didn’t solve anything because finally he learned that he was a drug dealer for all this time. He didn’t just let him go away, telling him that he has a chance to change but Donghae finally decided and chose this path.

 

Im sorry, Kyuhyun-ah.

 

Those were his last words before he left Kyuhyun that day.

The last person he thought who will stay by his side, chose to leave him as well. It’s been months since he last saw her but still her memory always lingers on his mind, he actually misses her a lot. Until now, he can forget this woman.

She actually likes rainy days, especially when she’s staying over his apartment. Sometimes she’s making excuses just for Kyuhyun to allow her to stay for a night, though Kyuhyun really likes it when she’s staying at his apartment but still, he’s a man and she’s a woman and a lot of things might happen.

 

Ring! Ring! Ring!

 

“Mom?” Picking up his phone, he answers, pretending that he’s alright.

“Kyuhyun-ah, did you pack all of your things? We’re going to leave soon.” His mom said over the phone.

“I just need an hour to finish my packing.” Even though all of his things are already packed, he lied.

“Alright, I will send a truck to pick up your things later.” And his mom hung up the phone as he does the same.

 

Choosing a new life is his decision. He wants to erase all those bad memories in his life and try to live his life like a new person. With his soon-to-be-dad and mother, they decided to migrate to California, USA. After preparing all the papers, finally today is the day. Though a part of him doesn’t want to leave this place, he always thinks that he needs to choose between living in the past or living his life that he has now, and he chose the latter. Now that his step-father finished his case about his divorce in his former wife, everything is all set.

Standing by the living room, he roams around his eyes, trying to remember every memory inside this small room, trying to imagine her right before his eyes. And because it’s raining, he can’t wash away the thoughts about her, her smile, her laugh, her expression when she’s mad and how happy she is when they are together. No matter how hard he try to forget about her, her memory will always come back because she will always remain as part of his life.

 

Surprise!

A startled face welcomes the woman by the door as soon as he opens the door. At this time of night, 11 p.m. to be exact, she’s here with a handful of groceries in her hand. Without any words, he knows that this woman is planning on staying over his place for tonight.

Miss, you cant come in. I know what you are planning. Kyuhyun blocks her way with his arms.

But its raining, I cant go home.” One of her excuses, how many times did she use that excuse just to stay over his apartment?

Then, I would be glad to bring you home.

A pout slowly forms in her face as she hears his statement. The excitement in her face earlier is changed to a frown.

But I just bought some groceries. My mom already knows that Im staying over to a friends house for a project. The biggest liar in town is back and he can’t disagree to her wish no matter what he does.

Yoona the liar, I told you to stop lying to your mom. What if she finds out? She will never allow me to see you again, ever.” Threatening the lady won’t stop her from doing what she wants, and since she’s here now, he can’t do anything but to allow her to stay over the night.

Then I will find a way to see you.” Every end of his talk, a smile always creeps on Yoona’s lips. How can he say no to this woman if she's like this?

Yoona scoots on the small space between his arms, giving the lad a warm hug.

I miss you, Kyuhyun. Whispering on his ear, sure send a ticklish feeling down his body as he embraces her back in his arms. He doesn’t need to say it back because he knows that she knows how much he misses her too.

Just cook a nice food and I will think about it, if you can stay for the night.” Though he’s joking about thinking if she could stay for the night, the woman takes it seriously as she run towards the kitchen, already preparing in making a good late dinner.

 

It became a habit for Yoona to stay over at his apartment and Kyuhyun got used to it as well, every morning he can see her, every day he can eat her own cooked food and every time he can say how much he loves her. What more can he ask for?

This room used to be cramped with his things, as well as her things but right now he realized how spacious it is when his things aren't here anymore, just like how empty his heart without her.  Sitting on the covered sofa, he closes his eyes, imagining his old apartment, where the television is placed right in front of the sofa with the brown coffee table, his books on the shelf that is situated by the side, the carpeted floor, the picture frames on the wall, his desk where his school works are placed, his favorite pillow on the sofa, he imagines it all, as if nothing has changed.

And this time, he doesn't hold back his tears anymore, as he drowns himself in sadness and memories he made with her because after leaving this place, he promised that he will start to forget everything, to erase their memories in this room. Clutching the cloth underneath him, his hand touches something under it. He thought that all of his things are already on the boxes but he didn't notice that he will forget something. Taking it under, he got a small notebook.

Kyuhyun looks at it, trying to remember where he used this notebook. Upon scanning the pages, small square papers fall on the floor, triggering for his memories to come back.

He remembered it, this notebook, and those sticky notes. Picking it up by the floor, he tries to smile but only his tears came out. Droplets of his tears fall on the sticky notes as he started reading each one of it. He can't believe that he kept all of those sticky notes for all this time.

It's her handwriting.

Chores, reminders, to-do, projects, important dates, advices, those are the things on the sticky notes, though it's not that sticky anymore due to time. She used different kinds of ink, cute little shapes, small stickers just to make it more creative and presentable.

 

"You always forgot your friends birthdays, even the deadline of your assignments!" Yoona mutters at the uninterested guy, feet stomping on the floor.

"Why should I remember their birthdays? As long as I know my birthday and my parents birthday, that's enough." Kyuhyun replies back, mouth chewing some chocolates. He's the kind of guy who doesn't care about special dates or occasion, for him, those occasion will eventually pass by and even without taking a note of it, he will find it out anyway.

"But those are special days for them!" Yoona reasons out, as she sits on the sofa, eyes looking on the guy by his desk who is playing an online game in his laptop.

"From now on, I will make you remember them!" Thinking of a solution to his stubbornness, Yoona takes the sticky notes on the table and in the first paper, she writes her birthday.

 

Im Yoona: May 30

 

She sticks it on his desk, without forgetting to place a heart at the end. "That's my birthday so you should remember it no matter what happen, alright?" She smiles at her work, waiting for the lad's response.

"I know your birthday so you don't have to write it." Of course, he knows the birthday of his girlfriend.

"And this is the birthday of your best friend, Donghae!" She sticks another note on his desk. "This is the birthday of my best friend!" And another one and another one.

 

Day by day she places a new sticky note on his desk just to remind him of those dates. Being alone in his apartment, Yoona thought of this idea to remind him even if he's alone because there will be a time when no one will remind him of those dates.

He recites it, trying to test himself. Because of her, he got to remember everyone's birthday.

"Donghae's birthday: October 15."

"Sungmin's birthday: January 1."

"Tiffany's birthday: August 1."

"Yuri's birthday: December 5."

And many other people's birthday until he reaches the birthday of the woman who taught him that those days are very important and special.

"Yoona's birthday." Pausing for a while, another set of heartache strikes his heart. How can he forget such day? It is already stamped in his heart, even if he's sleeping he will know her birthday.

"May 30." It left out of his lips, trying his best not to crumple the paper on his hand. Standing up from the sofa, he walk towards the clean wall. He travels his hand over it, before sticking all of the sticky notes on his hand, though others can't stick in the wall, he uses a scotch tape just to stick everything. It occupies a small space on the wall but because it is the only thing on it, it is noticeable.

He admires his work, and thankful for that certain person who made him realize that every single day is important. As his tears dry down, he stride towards the balcony. The rain won't stop as it pours down heavily. The dark sky, the cold wind, the angry thunder, it is the same as that day, the day when his first never went back being first.

 

"What are you doing here alone? It's raining, get inside." Kyuhyun notices her by the balcony, eyes looking somewhere far. But she ignores him. By looking at her, he can feel that there's a problem that's bothering her. So an idea pops inside his mind, he makes 2 hot coffee, for her 2 cubes of sugar and for him, one cube only.

"Coffee?" Sneakily standing by her side, he offers a cup of coffee to the problematic woman beside him.

"Kyuhyun-ah." She gladly takes it, giving him a faint smile.

"Something's bothering you?" Looking at the rainy sky, he carefully sips from his coffee before he finally looks at her.

"It's..." She hesitates, hand clutching the cup of coffee.

"You don't have to say it. Just drink your coffee, it will make you feel good." A smile forms on his lips as their eyes meet. An assuring smile forms that made Yoona trust him. If Yoona's not comfortable to talk about it, he respects her decision.

"Kyuhyun-ah, my dad wants a divorce." But because she fully trust this man, she said it without any regret. Now it's clear to him the main reason why she's sad, the main reason why she wants to stay over his place again.

"I don't want them to be separated." Tears slowly form at the edge of her eyes, after saying what she truly feels. Her hands are trembling as she tries to get hold of the cup tightly.

"I'm sorry, I'm sure they will not." Wanting to comfort the woman, he places down his coffee on the side table, but before he can give her a hug or comfort words, Yoona slips the coffee out of her grasp, spilling it on his shirt.

"Ouch, it's hot!" It almost burn his skin but luckily his shirt is thick enough to cool down the coffee before it reaches his skin and to absorb all the liquid.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry." Yoona doesn't know what to do, hands still shaking as she wipes the coffee from his shirt.

"Yoona, it's alright, I can handle it." He doesn't want to bother the woman anymore, as he takes her hands away from his shirt. Without knowing what to do, Yoona is still forcing her way to help Kyuhyun. But without realizing it, tears already flow down from her eyes, slowly blurring her vision. Her family problem messed up everything and now because of her clumsiness she spilled the coffee to Kyuhyun.

"No" Before he can stop her from doing so, his eyes land on her face as he realizes how close they are right now. The proximity between them sends electric sparks down to their bodies, making their heartbeat leaps its pace. This is the first time when he feels this way, the feeling of wanting her, wanting to kiss her lips. As Kyuhyun stops, Yoona notices him as she stops as well. The way he stares at her, imaginably melts her.

"Yoona..." This time, he suspends his hands on the air to reach her cheeks.

 

"I love you, Yoona. I will always be here for you."

 

As his hands touch her reddened cheeks, he slowly closes the gap between their lips. She thought of responding the same 3 words but Kyu cut her by a kiss. At first, she didn't close her eyes but as soon as she feels his pair of lips on hers, her eyes automatically closes.

Their first kiss.

It is an unexplainable feeling but it can never be wrong because that kiss feels so right. As if a bomb burst inside them, that's comparable to what they are currently feeling right now but not a bomb that can kill but a bomb with full of flowers and love. There are even invisible fireworks around them and imaginary angels that cheer them, and for them this kiss is an innocent kiss.

Before a minute can pass, they both break the kiss, eyes avoiding each other's. His mouth feels so dry and his breathing is so fast. This is the first time when they both feel that they are out of air, and they even thought that they will die because of one kiss.

"I'm sorry." As a man, he apologizes for his own action. Though they both like the kiss but still it's crossing the line.

"I should be the one apologizing for spilling the coffee." She doesn't want to dismiss the coffee thing just to avoid the kiss topic because right now she's burning in embarrassment. Red hues slowly become prominent in her cheeks as she tries to hide it.

"I told you, it's fine."

"Just let me help you change your clothes." Slipping it out from her lips with the wrong words, the lad chuckles lowly at her straightforwardness. Her eyes went wide before realizing what she just said. Uh-oh.

"I-I mean you should change your clothes first!" Hastily withdrawing her words from earlier, she tries to sound unaffected about what happened. But it just gave an idea to the guy who keeps on chuckling.

"If you want, you can help me change my clothes since we already kissed." Whispering right through her ears made a ticklish feeling in her whole body and now he's even teasing her. The red color on her cheeks become more prominent after hearing his statement. And the kiss word never left her mind, still bothered by it and will be bothered throughout this day.

"Or maybe we can do both at the same time." Not expecting something like that from the woman, his heart beats out of his chest, nerves already acting up. It added more tension as her arms slowly snake its way around his neck, pulling him closer.

"Yoona, I-I" Stuttering his words as he feels the proximity between everything between them, he breathed in and out. Taken aback by her words, he waits for her next move.

Dont worry, Im just kidding.” Yoona giggles at how nervous he looks.

But Im not kidding.” His serious voice catches her attention, her eyes fall back into his. Aggressively, he hooks his arms on her waist, as both of their chest touched.

Smirking at her reaction, slowly but surely Kyuhyun lands his lips on hers, doing what she said.Yet again another pure and loving kiss but this time they both move in unison. If that’s what she wants, he would gladly grant her wish but without changing his clothes because they are too busy with their business to think and do other things.

One thing he's sure about what happened, Yoona liked the kiss because throughout that day, she keeps on smiling even when they are in the middle of kissing.

 

As his hands travel down his shirt, he just realizes that it is the same shirt that was spilled with the coffee that day. What a coincidence it is, that moment gave this shirt a sentimental meaning. A meaning that will always make him smile. He manages to smile but his tears can't help but to fall from his eyes as he remembered that beautiful memory. If only they are still together until now, maybe they will talk about it and laugh at how innocent they were.

Their relationship turns out to be sweet and perfect but why did they end up like this? Is love not enough?

 

"Kyuhyun, I think our relationship won't work out anymore." That time when they had few fights and ended up Yoona ending their relationship.

"Yoona, what are you saying?" He can't accept it easily, he can't understand how can she just change just like that.

"I love you, Kyuhyun but it's not enough."

Leaving the man inside his apartment, Yoona breaks down, tears already out from her eyes.

Im sorry. She murmurs lowly, while cupping .

After all this time, she lied for saying that it’s not enough because with only Kyuhyun by her side is already enough.

 

For what reason?

Something is missing, the love that she thought to be forever, never was.

She felt tired, he felt tired.

She gave up, he didn't give up.

She wants to let go, he doesn't want to let go.

But no matter how hard he try to save their relationship, it won't work out if he's the only one who wanted it to be saved. That moment was when everything was falling apart in his life and he wanted to run away, to cry it all out, to get her back. But it's useless, she didn't choose him.

Everything will change, everything will pass.

 

Beep! Beep!

A honk coming from a truck downstairs catches his attention, as he looks down. It's time to leave and when he decided to leave this place, there's no turning back. Slowly, he walks out of the room, not even looking back because he finally decided what to do, though a part of him still wants to see her again.

Ring! Ring! Ring!

Those rings surely made him stop from leaving as he gradually turn around to hear his telephone ringing. But he doesn't want to answer it anymore, he's leaving and that might be just from the telephone company, nothing important. Who would call him anyway?

"I'm sorry, I'm not at home, I can't pick up the phone. Just leave your message. Beeeep!"

He stands by the door, waiting for who the caller is. No sound, no voice can be heard from the other line, maybe just a prank call. But he can't deny it, he's expecting, even if it has 1% chance that it's her, Im Yoona. Maybe if it’s truly her, he might change his mind.

"Why am I even waiting for nothing?" He tells to himself how wasteful he is on his time by waiting  to some prank call and even waiting for someone who already left. With one last goodbye, he closes the door, locked it using the key, as he decided to leave this place, to forget about everything that involves her.

Though there are many bad memories at least, it's not as much as the good memories. Now, he can live his life without thinking about her, because he finally accepted the fact that she left, maybe she truly loves him but she just fall out of love. Loving her changes him to a better person. He doesn't hate her but he's thankful that she became part of his life.

 

Letting someone go because you love that person is the biggest love you can ever give.

Starting from this day, he will look forward to his future and move on.

 

 

 

 

"Kyuhyun, it's me Yoona. I'm here at your favorite coffee shop. I want to see you again and I will wait until you come."

Beeeeeep!

The worst thing that can ever happen is when she came back for him but he didn’t know.

 

 

 

 

“Mom, where’s dad?” Yoona asks as soon as she arrives home.

“He left, Yoona.”

“Where?” She wants to know where her dad is, though his parents are divorced but still she has the right to know.

“Your dad has a new family now. He told me that they will migrate to America.”

“Where in America?”

 

California

 

 

A/N: I really want to make a Kyuna one-shot since then but I just can't think of a story that will fit the two of them not until I thought about this story though it's a sad one. But after I edited this one, some new ideas pop in my mind, and I'm still thinking if I should write a part 2 or just leave the ending hanging because I really like endings that feels like not the ending. Weird. Haha. But I will maybe think about it again and update it if I finally decided to do it. Leave your comments, don't forget to subscribe and upvote! Thank you! If you're confused, feel free to ask!