By The End of This Aisle

Maid of Honor

 

Him.

 

 

We met thousands encounters ago when I was in charge of Sangmi’s wedding. As a good maid of honor every step the bride took I’d be found assisting dutifully by her side, picking invitation materials, visiting every patisserie there was in Seoul until fitting the wedding dress, which was—

“You look stunning, honey, it really is pretty” I said to her as she gave a cheery 360 turn, an admiration which she would answer in slight disbelief even though she knew damn well that she looked amazing on it “you really think so?” Sangmi said in glee, youth radiating from her happy mien.

“It is” I repeated genuinely.

As she re-entered the fitting room trying her 8th dress I wandered around coddling my own pair of eyes with linens queuing in line, dresses of every woman’s utmost romantic dream; wedding dresses. As my palms caressed every grandiloquent tulle, an approach caught my attention by surprise.

“Is my sister done yet?” Jongin asked rather impatient whilst glaring at his wristwatch constantly “I’m meeting someone-“ he hesitantly looked outside the shop’s window and we both saw a man standing, his hands were waving at us idly “-oh , hyung is here”

Hyung? I kept it inwardly and soon noticed him as one of the groomsman Jongin had once introduced “is it—“

“Yeah, it’s Joonmyun” Jongin paraded swiftly gathering his satchel and everything squandered from its inside “so, tell my sister I have a calling to do, will ya?” I glared at him in partial disagreement, teasing him slightly “Please” but the kid begged, so—

“I’ll tell her you have some preparing to do with the other groomsman” I ethereally glared outside and caught his eyes for matter of brief seconds

 

 

And I remember the moment boldly inside my every recall, underlined as the first time our eyes actually met. I also remembered him waving once more but not to both of us, it was just me.

 

 

“Thanks Aerin, you’re a life savior” gleaming smile colored Jongin’s gratitude and with his last bid, the boy left hotfoot.

And as I wandered back to the fitting room I found myself glaring at a vision of a future bride “what do you think?” Sangmi said feeling insecure whilst turning around previewing the white, floor-length 5 layered tulle dress that would sweep any man off of their standing. She looked stunning.

I verily said “you look wonderful” in respond. I marched around getting a closer look, how the sash fell covering her behind and the satin lacing her waist, the way her shoulders accentuated with its halter cutting, she’s an adorable bride-to-be “I can see the bride in you”

“You really think so?”

“Yes” I enveloped my arm, hugging her in abundant glee “oh honey, you’re getting married!”

“An now the bride have the dress”

 

 

We.

 

 

From: Jongin

So, my uncle from out of town is coming and Sangmi’s sort of caught busy entertaining him with her wedding plans… can you make it to the cake tasting? I bet she forgot

 

To: Jongin

Sure, you’re coming? I don’t feel like going alone. And tell your sister I already handled the caterer, we’re getting another 3% discount from the membership ;)

 

From: Jongin

Awesome! But I can’t, it’s our uncle. I think Joonmyun hyung’s available, remember him? I’ll tell him to meet you up at the patisserie.

 

I snapped back and looked at the message I was about to send the one with dreamy smile? It said. Delete. Delete. Delete.

 

To: Jongin

Ok, that’s cool. I’ll keep you up with the updates.

 

Or else Jongin would draw a conclusion that I have developed a crush, and rather than being caught inside his matchmaking I preferred to leave it adventitious.

Well, maybe I’ve developed some.

 

 

In matter of twenty minutes I have already arrived by the patisserie and to my surprise “you’re late” Joonmyun said as he rose from a classic wooden chair where we would be seated along with other customers “it’s impolite to show up late on your first date, you know?” he teased whilst pulling a seat across him.

“I’m sorry but I don’t know that I have a boyfriend” I placed my clutch above the neatly clothed table and sat down obediently.

“You’re welcome, cupcake” Oh, his dreamy smile. And I noticed, before me was a cup of dairy milk which existence I questioned.

“Sorry” I muttered in admittance and craned a hand shake “Joonmyun, right? I’m Aerin”

“Hi” he said in glee while saluting with warm grip “I hope you don’t mind I ordered us milk first” he said and an answer filled one empty hollow inside my curiosity. I shook my head, I didn’t mind.

An attendant soon greeted us with welcoming smile and placed two mouthwatering slices of cake down. A feast that she introduced as Prinzregententorte, a Deutsch name I presumed. Before I spoon my bite I could see Joonmyun had already enjoyed his allotment with lavish appetite.

“Careful, cupcake, you might choke” I teased and followed devotedly, relishing our tester. Oh God It was a wonder “Oh my God, it’s so good” another spoon soon fed me with its taste and I continued eating ceaselessly.

“Careful, cupcake, you might choke” Joonmyun grabbed a serviette and caressed corners of my lips gently, by “now try drink your milk” he said and I did as told obediently, I’ve never felt that delighted. As I took my first sip, I noticed him doing the same and we drank our dairy down to its half “it tastes amazing, wow! Maybe we should order milk for the wedding too” I joked.

 

“Excuse me, young lady, is this your fiancé?” an old lady caught us by surprise as she gently tapped my shoulder. Her eyes were filled with dreamy glimmer and I responded as follow “oh, no, we’re doing a favor to our friend” I said with a smile and witness her sudden crestfallen.

“Oh, yes we are” Joonmyun snapped abruptly and I was aghasted. I glared at him “Joonmyun—“

“But, we’re doing the tasting to favor friend of us” he smiled at her, his dreamy smile “it’s not for our wedding”

An absent smile soon restored adorning the old lady with her prior merriment “I think you two look good together” she said whilst padding Joonmyun’s shoulder and beamed us with sunshine. Giggles were escaping.

“Oh, and do you know what else is?” Joonmyun snapped his finger and our table soon attended once more “can I have another Prinzregententorte and a glass of milk for this lovely lady here?” and as demanded another portion of delish cake was soon delivered. “This cake is appetizing already without the milk, but my fiancé thinks that it’s amazing if eaten with”

“Why thank you, young man” and Joonmyun only smiled in return. I believe the old lady noticed his dreamy smile. “It’s not too soon to hit marriage, you know. You two will make quite a pair” and with her sincere advice she left us both looking like a couple, back to a table across of ours.

 

I glanced back at Joonmyun in thirst of explanation “So, I was single not half an hour ago but now I have a fiancé and about to get married” I raised an eyebrow “I believe you owe me an explanation, cupcake”

Joonmyun chortled in beguilement “I’m sorry, but I can’t just disappoint her, you see—“

I didn’t bother looking back up at him and spooned the Bavarian cake, tasting its chocolate melting at each bite.

“I also believe that I owe you an apologize” he said.

I spoon the serving and fed him gently “it’s okay, cupcake” mirth provoked a joyful smile plastered over his admirable visage, and Joonmyun drunk his milk.

“It tastes amazing, cupcake, we are so ordering milks for our guests”

 

 

***

 

 

“Spoil it Aerin” Sangmi snapped in badger “you went with Joonmyun, and nothing happened? Come on girl, you have a big-fat-crush on him and everybody knows it”

“Everybody?!” the emphasis shocked me that I stopped mending Sangmi’s sash for the pre-wed photo shoot.

“Well everybody except him himself”

“That’s true” said Seohae as she passed us by whilst carrying the camera firmly inside her grip, “can I have a picture of the bride-to-be please?” she aimed and captured our first preparation picture, and I have to admit Sangmi looked astonishing inside the photograph.

“Come on, Aerin, you’re the maid of honor and he’s the best man” Seohae snapped and took candid pictures “it’s kind of awkwardly arranged but, hey, coincidence or not there goes your chance”

“Why are we making all this about my big-fat-pathetic-crush when our bride here looks gorgeous?” and in a cinch I declared full accomplishment on flawlessly dressing Sangmi inside her gown. She turned around and hurtled the bottom hem sweeping wooden floor beneath our heels, again, she looked stunning.

 

 

***

 

 

“So, we meet again, cupcake” a familiar voice jarred me, followed with warm grip nestling on my shoulder “you’re helping the photo shoot?”

“Yes, I do, cupcake and I believe I haven’t introduced myself properly at our previously given chance” escaping his grip I welcomed him at another hand shake “Shim Aerin, the maid of honor”

“Kim Joonmyun, Sehun’s best man”

“So, you’re a friend of the groom? Brother?” I asked habitually as both of us watched Seohae expertly aiming Sehun and Sangmi for their pictures. The concept was simple; rooftop with gleaming streetlights of Seoul illuminating their background into a composition of breath-taking beauty. And the two had never looked perfect for each other, or maybe just yet.

“Close enough, he was my roommate during college”

I managed forming a polite smile in understatement but Joonmyun captured my attention as we exchange glare at each other.

 

 

And I remember the moment boldly inside my every recall, underlined as the first time we dig deep into each other’s eyes. Inside his eyes, I see me.

And I wonder whether he found himself inside mine.

 

 

We startled from feeling rather awkward “I better go and check on Sangmi’s makeup” with the most cliché alibi inside the playbook I excused myself and shuffled closer to Sangmi, interrupting the shoot with an unnecessary touch up.

“You know, you can’t interrupt a photo shoot just because you’re having a cold feet right across us, honey” Sangmi teased as I puffed her cheek with pink shade of blush, setting arose what had already been a pretty bloom. In vain, I defended “I’m just making sure you’re blushed enough” and as the excuse muttered into thin air Sangmi nestled a pinch on my rosing cheek.

The night wind was blowing ruthless, sending shiver to crawl deep within our bones and fogs assembled at each of our exhale “are you cold?” Sehun asked his fiancé in dear worry and slung off of his tux at instant, enveloping Sangmi’s minor figure inside thick fabric.

Seohae declared a 30 minutes break noticing the bride’s condition and dictated us to go inside the building where cups of ramyun had already been cooked “Chanyeol brought us some feast” she said while disappearing into the building, followed by the bridegroom and another tall guy-Kris, I believed, Seohae’s trustful assistant. He was creepy.

 

And at instant I was left alone grooming the diffused brushes and bobby clips, or else, it would’ve gone forgotten. Whilst gathering around the immeasurable clips scattered all over the set, hunger provoked my gut to grumble in famish. Luckily no one was on the set for it was rather loud and plain embarrassing.

“You really don’t need to force yourself, you know”

I startled in shock and turned around. The man was carrying a cup of cooked ramyun, holding it out for me “you’ll catch cold, cupcake” Joonmyun teased daintily resulting in series of giggle.

“We should stop with the cupcake thing, Joonmyun, grandma’s not here” I took the cup and forked an amount. The fervor almost burned my taste buds.

“Careful, cupcake, it’s hot” he whistled breezy breath onto my face and I was left astounded once more. Each breath that he draw my cheeks like delicate feathers, my lips drought under his exhale and I felt… fascinated. “Have some water” he said while handing over another cup filled with aqua.

I muttered rather an inaudible Thank You before recalling my previous statement “we really should stop with the cupcake thing, Joonmyun” even though my heart said the opposite and was well aware that glee stretched my lips forcing a shy smile. And don’t mention about the blush.

Joonmyun fed himself with a fully blown ramyun “why should we stop?” he questioned in disagreement “I just got around to it, cupcake”

Perplexed would describe the stage I was in, he was right but somewhat, somehow that was wrong. “Yeah, I know it makes us feel convenient but…” I paused. I said us.

“But?”

“But we’re not even dating”

Joonmyun sighed crestfallen “whatever makes you happy, cupcake” I was not quite sure whether he had fathomed my point or not.

But yes, I felt comfortable.

 

 

***

 

 

Sangmi savored her first crouton salad and swiftly complimented in contentment “it’s delicious! It’s crisp and sweet, maybe a little more salt?” but Sehun shrugged “It’s perfect the way it is, baby” he said while subtly spooning another crouton to his fiancé.

“Do you know that we got a total of 5% discount for our feast?” the woman snapped and Sehun shrugged once more “I don’t” he said with eyes solid on Sangmi. Watching her finishing her appetizer already had him pleased beyond entertained.

“It’s not fair! You guys still look like lovebirds” Seohae gnawed her fork while glaring at Sehun and Sangmi in quite jealousy “why aren’t we like that?” Chanyeol was taken aback with his wife’s curiosity. “What?!” he pouted and craned his head closer to Seohae “aren’t we lovebirds?” he asked with antic smile adorning what Seohae had always thought was a perpetual adorable face.

“We’re not. We’re..” her words were drowned before reaching esophagus as Chanyeol eliminated more spaces between. Seohae could feel his breath gentle and warm against her cheek, flaming her face with blooming crimson.

“What are we?”

“We’re… eagles?”

“Aren’t eagles bird?” Chanyeol softly pecked his dear wife’s forehead ever so lovingly before returning at the present; their dinner table “so, you say we got discount for this?”

Sangmi sipped her champagne “oh yes, even for the wine’s selection. Apparently our friend Gayoung is dating one of the chefs, Kyungsoo, I believe, and plus Aerin’s membership card we just acquired 5% discount for both dinner rehearsal and tomorrow’s dinner”

 

“Impressive” a woman tapped Sangmi’s shoulder lightly, but even before looking back Sangmi knew well who it was. A little lad’s fastidious chatter told her everything.

“Hanin! You came!” soon Sangmi catapulted herself inside Hanin’s hug and released her long yearning in one comfort. The two jumped in glee after not seeing one another for quite a long period, squealing voices echoed around their dinner table the following couple of seconds before it ceased.

“Oh, I hope you guys don’t mind me bringing Daein-he’s been so fussy about coming with his mommy” glancing back at her little son Hanin showered his flawless forehead with kisses “now that mommy have brought you here, you promised mommy something, right?”

“Be..have” Daein muttered in glee yet obedient, his small palms were reaching for his mom’s grip “where’s daddy?”

Hanin took a seat next to Sangmi and held Daein securely inside her lap whilst inhaling the sweet shampoo scent adorning her boy’s dark hair “daddy will be here soon after he finishes work, so Daein will have to wait with mommy, okay?”

Compassion admiration escaped everybody present in muttered awes. It was then when they realized one binding direction that marriage would lead them to; building a family. And even though the idea of how had not nestled entirely inside their train of thought, deep inside their heart there was one kindred bliss they craved for. The one bliss that togetherness had rewarded them.

“He’s so much like Jongdae” Seohae caressed her forefinger feeling Daein’s divined jaw line, his skin was malleable against her delicate “hi Daein” but the boy only curled his feet into Hanin’s hold even tighter, unfamiliarity fortified his defense.

“He’s a little shy” Hanin explained whilst resting her chin above his comforting orbs “just like daddy, right Daein?”

“Like daddy” Daein repeated habitually.

Sangmi held Sehun’s hand tightly as she saw the boy tarried peacefully inside his mom’s embrace, she desired lavishing the same affection towards the one being which existence was brought by love. The love she would soon share with Sehun “isn’t he wonderful?” she said, eyes solid on Daein neglecting the very impartial glance Sehun bathed her with.

“He is wonderful” and Sehun soon captured his fiancé’s palm inside his tender kiss “he is and you are” the very flatter gratified Sangmi right where she belonged-beside him. The bride and The groom exchanged amiable stare before quotidian soft peck landed on each other’s lips, grazing their surfaces with love and gratefulness. And even inside the absence of their bliss they were already blessed.

“See? Lovebirds” Seohae nudged Hanin’s arms.

 

The dinner soon journeyed as the main course was proficiently served. Grilled fillet of beef was served with smashed potatoes and sherried mushroom sauce, then the crisp calamari with elective dressings which Sangmi preferred lemon whilst Sehun had his heart around the Andouille risotto. And as their first dessert arrived everybody attending the rehearsal noticed an engineered autograph composed from pouring melted chocolate below everyone’s Prinzregententorte.

“Kyungsoo?” Hanin snapped in instant.

“The patisserie-” Sangmi answered whilst taking a sip of dairy milk served along with their cake “-slash, Gayoung’s boyfriend. I believe she’s somewhere in the kitchen helping him out”, “oh God, the cake is amazing”

“Okay, so, if Gayoung’s in the kitchen-” Hanin ignited her gaze around scanning the room with arrant observation “-where’s Aerin?”

 

 

***

 

 

“Okay, people, don’t forget to serve the milk along with the Prinzregententorte before serving the sorbet and strawberry ice cream” I briefed every servant in details “and each table should have two cookie baskets, chocolate chips and hazelnut. Table 3 and 7 should also have icing cupcakes, as requested, and then toffee pudding will follow afterward” everybody seemed to have fathom my instruction perfectly and it sent serene to comfort every worry away.

 

“You know, if I had a maid of honor like you I wouldn’t bother getting a wedding planner” and there he came with immense hilarity, deliberately stored to interrupt every enthrallment I had built in defense. Yet somehow his presence alone had already dragged me deep into where I want to find myself most; inside his captive.

I scoffed then turn around and saw the man slightly towering above me “hi, cupcake” he said in glee.

“This is the kitchen, dinner rehearsal is two doors right down the hall, Joonmyun, are you sure this is where you should be?” I beamed him my endeared smile with visible pudency.

“Yes, it is” he said while eliminating another brief space keeping us apart. I could barely inhale his white musk perfume cascading my olfaction with uttermost strange attraction “so, Aerin, will you be my maid of honor one day?”

I scoffed “no, you can’t” I snapped and poked his firm chest “first off, since you’re a man, you’re getting groomsmen—“

“And second?”

I halted in quiescent, my subconscious seemed to be voting his confident aggression instead of my frail defense. I stuttered “second, uh—“

“Well let’s just say, rather than having you planning my wedding I’d be more delighted to pay a wedding planner arranging our wedding” Joonmyun beamed an equal endeared smile with visible pudency “see you at the rehearsal, cupcake”

 

 

It took me two minutes and thirty two seconds after to understand every single word he said.

He said our wedding.

 

 

***

 

 

“Joonmyun!” Jongdae rose from his seat before habitually padding his hyung’s back in felicity “it’s been a long time, oh God, how have you been?” from brother to brother they comforted the longing with firm, warm hug.

“I’ve never been better, Chen-chen, you?”

Jongdae chortled and released their embrace, a little boy was tugging his tailored pant “daddy, who is that?” Daein asked.

“Is that Daein?!” Joonmyun bended on his knees with eyes gleaming in wonder and clemency “hey there, big guy, remember me?”

Daein shrugged his shoulders and hastily shuffled back into Hanin’s lap where he felt most secure in whole wide world.

“Daein is three next month” Hanin replied while her palms every messy strand of Daein’s dark hair gently aligned “mommy and daddy’s little Daein is a big boy, now” she whispered softly into her son’s auditory and sent him drifting in absolute serene into a good night sleep.

“And how about you, hyung?” Jongdae snapped back at his celibate senior “any thought to tie the knot?”

Joonmyun smiled as he hesitate the evaporating answer but before he could respond—

 

“Oh, guys, sorry for the delayed toffee pudding. I had a little misunderstanding with the master chef and almost exchange our whole dessert into center fruit pudding” I apologized dearly noticing the final feast was postponed by another ten minutes before resting conveniently at a seat by Seohae’s side “how was the Prinzregententorte?”

“Perfect, especially the milk addition, everybody loves them” she said, much pleased than impressed and somehow it settled comfort to wash every remaining worry away.

 

Then I saw Joonmyun pulling Jongdae closer and deliberately seemed to be whispering several phrases before both glanced at me in pleasant merriment. I had no Idea what about.

 

 

***

 

 

In bridal’s ticking hour, another three months of preparation is a diminishing minute away from walking down the aisle. Time passes like train revolving its wheel swiftly above the tracks and the next thing we know it has elapsed. What is left is nothing but the reminiscent of its sound against our ears, echoing like perpetual presence.

My job was to make sure that everyone would have a momentous reminiscent to flash inside their recalls as something, some event, so sublime. And I have devoted myself to avail the one woman on that particular Saturday evening in the middle of June.

A good maid of honor is always there, every step of the bride’s way.

Through everything.

 

 

***

 

 

“Sehun’s not here” Jongin abruptly caught my wrist and panicked as I passed around the alleyways in search for the groom. The boy anxiously monitored each back alleys of The Plaza and found nothing but nihility “there’s crazy traffic around Gangnam and his car won’t even move”, “it’ll take forever”

“There’s what?!” I couldn’t help but to hiss in complete repudiation “Jongin, the wedding starts in-“ I glared at the ticking rolex enveloping his protrude wrist “-approximately 27 minutes.. oh God”

“What are we gonna do?”

At the peak of jeopardy every pedestal felt like they’re sweeping me off my feet and things were free falling in remote congruity. Traffic was ingenuously an influential aspect outside my hands, but if I failed, then sublime memory was not even close to be made.

 

I needed help.

 

Jongdae approached closer whilst hanging up a call rather hastily “they’re about two, three miles from here. Said there’s a toll accident, we’re not sure, but the car won’t move” a tip of dubiety colored his tone and I could see droplets of sweat forming on his forehead as distress reverberated throughout our conscience “how’s the bride?” he asked.

“Fully aware of this situation” I said in mere regret before glancing back at the bride’s waiting room, stealing a glance of the bride sitting in motionless ground. Sangmi trashed her back for the thousandth time already in effort to prevent tears falling.

 

Then I noticed who needed help the most.

 

Firmly, I caught Jongin’s wrist inside my grip and won an attention paid devotedly “you ride bikes?” I asked and thank the Lord, he nodded. “Good. Now, I need you to take Chanyeol’s ducati and pick Sehun up, okay? And if anything goes wrong I want you to call me straight away so I can handle things here properly, capische?”

The boy nodded and fleet hotfoot leaving me the one frail wound I had to mend.

 

 

I ambled swiftly and sat by Sangmi’s side while enveloping her fragile physique inside my embrace. Quiver was shaking under-throughout her skin and I felt insecurity shielding her mind in misleading mist “how are you feeling big girl?”

She scoffed in response “you think?” anxiety was audible inside her utter each time she tried to speak. Vulnerability converted her utters into craven sobs at instant and smeared her perfectly framed eyes as black ink fleet down her cherry cheeks.

“Come on, don’t cry honey” I enveloped her fast inside my endearment “we both do know how damn well Sehun loves you more than anything that deserved an equal affection, he wouldn’t miss a minute of this wedding for any excuse, Sangmi, he loves you that much”

“I know—“

“And if anything goes wrong, you’ll always have me standing by your side to fix things right. I promised you that, remember?”

“I know—“

“Now, cut the sob short and be strong like we know you always are”

“I wish Sehun was here, Aerin”

“He’ll be here, soon, so you better stop crying because I bet Sehun will be torn seeing his beautiful bride doubting his capability on fulfilling a sincere promise” I knew he did “he loves you that damn much, I know he do” I damn well knew he did. Because I could see an emotion emanated at their exchanged glare, a feeling so subtle yet so strong, demanding yet completing. I could see them loving each other “He’ll be here, I promise”

I felt soft sobs knocking my heart each time Sangmi inhaled in faith that Sehun wouldn’t miss the world for their wedding. Having her feeling frail and vulnerable inside my hold had never felt so crucial, for I had to endeavor my everything on granting her dreams come true.

“He’ll be here I promise” and a tear escaped my guard involuntarily as I tried to hold every decrepit pillars above her orbs.

 

 

Without a knock Jongdae craned from behind the door “Aerin it’s Jongin”

And as I deciphered anxiety nestling in his eyes, I knew I couldn’t keep what I had just promised Sangmi. What I had just comforted her with.

With an excuse I took the phone from inside Jongdae’s grip and answered my last hope altogether “what’s wrong?” I asked Jongin even though I knew what was.

“Not a chance” he said over the phone.

I knew.

“I’m stuck about half a block away from The Plaza, there was a car crash and the towing vehicle’s not even there yet. It’s a dead beat”

I knew.

“Do you want me to pursue on foot?”

He wouldn’t make it in time. I knew Jongin wouldn’t “no” and as I looked back I could see Sangmi trashing her head up already too habitually, preventing more redundant tears from escaping her already swollen eyes. She was strong about this, so I had to be stronger for her.

“Is my sister okay?”

Yes “she’s extremely tough on handling this. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have an explanation to do with the guests”

 

 

I walked down the back alleyway and craned into the wedding hall where two hundred guests were visible and had already waited in impatient chit chatter. I’d walk inside and explain the misfortunes that had occurred, but their crestfallen was not the fiasco I had prevented from having. It was a promise that I was afraid to break that swept me off of the edge of security.

If I failed, a sublime memory was not even close to be made.

But I failed.

 

 

“Aerin!” but there he was with his dreamy smile.

 

 

***

 

 

Sangmi curled her feet under five layers of tulles as tears ceased from running down her cheek. The least comfort she could get was nestling inside the remaining warmth fevering her body. Looking outside the bride’s waiting room she saw silhouettes of buildings towering tall where sunset illuminated their tops and delivered quizzical shades of sunlight breached through glass window. She was better than before even though Sehun’s absence wouldn’t let her soothe completely.

Deep inside Sangmi knew that Sehun had tried his best to be there for her. But sometimes errors do occur and Sangmi couldn’t blame Sehun for anything. Sangmi won’t.

Whilst pulling her sash away Sangmi felt two warm palms holding her grip inside their captive, slender fingers were her hands with delicate touches too familiar to reminisce it triggered Sangmi to lose her frail fortress of defense.

“I promised, remember?” Sehun muttered as he drown the love of his life inside what Sangmi had always thought was her home; his captive.

Sangmi nodded, not saying anything as relief plunging into her chest like waterfalls.

“I will never break my promise”

The bride nodded.

“I love you that damn much” The groom said.

The bride nodded “and I you”

 

 

***

 

 

Sangmi marched down the aisle with laced sash tailing her behind. Inside her grip was a bouquet of peonies and inside her heart was serene and sincere amour. Waiting earnestly by the extremity of that compassed red carpet was a man, her man.

And no one had ever witnessed such emotion like the one they exchanged in each glare, a feeling so subtle yet so strong, demanding yet completing.

Everybody could see that they love each other.

And they were lucky to ever feel it.

 

 

***

 

 

“Would you like to drink, cupcake?”

Joonmyun grinned whilst taking an empty seat at the following dinner right next to mine. Two glasses of champagne nestled inside his grip and the one on his right was held out for my preference “Thanks” I said in decent gratitude and relish crisp liquor to run down my throat. It tasted divine. I wondered why he always managed to discover the good stuffs.

“You did a great job today, Aerin” he placed his half-drunk champagne down the table and captured my hands inside his rather cold palms. Gently caressing the back of my hands Joonmyun hauled my exhaust in an altered feeling where strength had somehow restored inside everything that was left of me.

 

 

And I remember the moment boldly inside my every recall, underlined as the first time we hold hands. I was in complete glee and I knew he was.

 

 

“And you did yours” I said as we exchanged glares like we never did. I saw something in him, I wasn’t sure what is, but I felt belonged “you did a great job too”, “cupcake”

He scoffed in whimsical merriment “see! I told you we’ll get around to it”

“Oh, shut up” I released his grip but his arms were both suddenly catapulted around my shoulders. The next thing I know I was nestling inside his embrace, resting inside his perpetual guard. Joonmyun nuzzled his nose on my orbs as I felt his breath my scalp gently, and before we could realize the happenings we found ourselves cuddling.

“You are amazing”

“I’m the maid of honor, remember? I believe I’ve introduced myself at our previously given chance”

“Oh, yes, Shim Aerin, right? Hi, I’m Kim Joonmyun”

“Very funny” I faked a remote laugh even though we both knew well how much contentment he had already comfort me with, a summary equal to immeasurable.

“But seriously, Aerin, what you did was amazing. And I’m not saying this from only my side of opinion but I believe I also deputized Sangmi’s side”, “You completed tough efforts and sacrificed your bets just to assist the bride. Anything so that she could walk down the aisle and worry about nothing else but her groom”

“Joonmyun, I’d do anything imperious. Today’s her day and not mine” I looked at his eyes as I cupped his admirable face where dreamy smile nestled solidly.

“But sometimes you forced yourself too much and it worries me. Aerin, you can’t be the perpetually strong woman” he said with palms layering mine as savoring how our skins brushed against in every gentle touch “It’s okay to lose your standing sometimes, to have obstacles sweeping you off your feet. You have me and now that I got you—“

“I know, cupcake” I said in glee, winning the one treasure I desired most “and someday it’ll be my day”

“And do you think Sangmi will be there for you?”

“I don’t know” I shrugged in cherished grin knowing the one thing Sangmi and I had always share deeply “but I’m happy if she is, and I know she will if I am”

Joonmyun leaned in closer before our chatter could continue and the next thing I knew tender collision captured our lips in unite as I felt him completed what was mine impeccably.

 

 

And I remember the moment boldly inside my every recall, underlined as the first time we kissed. For the first time, I recognized the existence of one comfort that I can always find in him.

Joonmyun is my home.

 

 

It didn’t take forever to savor but enough to make sure that what I found in him, he found also in me.

 

We broke the kiss having his lips left mine with a soft peck, we knew people had started watching in quite an enticing amusement. I escaped giggles as he nuzzled his nose in my head once again and inhaled the scent of what he soon introduced as his own label of drug. And to the very beginning, Joonmyun pulled me under his gravity and took me where I want to find myself most: inside his arms.

I was lucky that both of us were not too late to hit this road.

 

 

It was our start, and this is Us.

 

 

 

“So, you were saying that you and Sehun ran off like two miles straight just to reach The Plaza in time?”