Byun Baekhyun

We Are One

Baekhyun sat at the kitchen table, his head and arms sprawled across the wooden surface. He had fallen asleep hours ago. He hadn’t gotten much sleep lately, and the pattern continued as a pair of royal blue eyes flickered open and searched the kitchen. He sighed to himself and sat up slowly. He was faced with a state of the art, comfortable, beautiful kitchen, but he was still not happy. He hated living in this mansion most of the time, it always seemed so empty despite having six rather large ego’s staying within it. And large they were but they each had their own stories, and Baekhyun knew everyone. Every pair of glimmering eyes, every bedroom up the stairs had their own pain, and Baek hated to think about it. He had rescued each of them from a horrible fate, though some were worse than others. He stood up slowly figuring he was going to get no sleep anyway.
He trudged out of the kitchen into the spacious living room where he was met with a large mirror. He tilted his head and stared at himself in deep thought. The royal blue eyes he had had for so long stared deeply back at him. Every time they bore into him, reaching the depths of his thoughts and emotions and bringing up a painful past. He shuddered and immediately turned his head away, not wanting to face those memories today. Today was a happy day, a right of passage. A day where all his hard work and compassion would finally be brought to attention. The only real fear he had was being discovered, well his gift being discovered. Certain vampires are given gifts that pretty much resembled super powers. These vampires were either forced to join the three kings council, and if they refused this, they were executed. Baekhyun’s gift would be one of great value to them if they ever found out. He was able to read emotion, not minds, but emotions. He could simply look at you and he could find out what you are feeling and maybe even find the source of trouble within you. He had refined this talent over the years, making it more precise and controllable. At first he was forced to read the emotions of whoever he looked at, his blue eyes traveled inside them and seeked out sadness and joy. He learned to control that, and he also learned how to read without looking at someone. If he had a strong connection with the one he was reading, he could sense their emotions even when they were in the next room. This had come in handy within the house, especially when it came to Kai and Chen. He could easily tell if they were lying, which could almost be a matter of life or death in this house. He remembered back to just last week when somebody (two of them actually) had set part of the backyard on fire...when Kris was out there...because they didn’t get their cookies. Baekhyun chuckled at the thought, Kris had escaped without a scratch and Baekhyun had easily scouted out the two giddy but guilty vibes traveling through the house.
    Basically his gift had become something useful instead of a pesky feeling in the back of his head. Unfortunately he always had to keep it hidden, he hadn’t even told his clan. Of course he didn’t have to, he was the leader after all. He had created them all, he was their saviour. He was in charge of this clan and he planned to keep it that way as they started to gain some freedom. He walked up the winding staircase deep in thought. Only one person knew about his gift, Kris. Kris was his only true friend in all this, they had formed some sort of bond that he did not form with the other members. Of course they were all great friends, there were only a few that he trusted with certain things, and only one he trusted with his life. As he walked up the stairs he passed the five rooms before his, reading the emotion which laid inside. Everybody was awake, not being able to sleep through the night. He passed the rooms in each order, bringing back several memories as pain and worries danced across his brain. First he passed Sehun’s room, which was riddled with absolute confusion. Baekhyun deduced the green eyed boy was thinking about his past and how it would affect his future. The maknae of the clan always had a serious look to him, he always seemed to be thinking. Of course he had a sweet side, but he would never let that show, feeling that it left him vulnerable. Next he passed the trolls room. THe former heir of the Kim company seethed out a deep feeling of regret. Baekhyun was always confused with this, the super confident, cocky troll of the clan was still intimidated by his father. The man  had tried to kill him for gods sake, he shouldn’t give a damn about him anymore.
    Baekhyun let out a struggled growl, he hated trying to fix the others problems. He never had anybody to fix his, but he felt obligated to. He had created them all, given them a second chance whether they wanted it or not. He sometimes felt that they hated having to live forever, that he had brought them into a life they never wanted. But these thoughts were always overruled with the thoughts of him giving them a new life, to seek what they wanted in their mortal life but couldn’t achieve. His inner fight soon ceased as he passed Suh’s room which was surprisingly calm. There was no sense of worry, only one of determination, as if he was searching for something. “What the hell did he loose...?” Baekhyun mumbled to himself as he continued down the hallway. He stepped in front of the fourth door as an overwhelming sense of dread washed over him. Of course Kai  would be freaking out about this day...the kings did only want him dead less than ten years ago. He was saved only by the quick wit of Baekhyun. he somehow managed to piece together enough of Jaejoong’s emotions (the head king) to get to jim properly. He struck up a pretty fair deal. Jaejoong would turn him and Baekhyun would take him from there. Why wouldn’t Baekhyun turn him? He refused to bite humans, even if it was just to turn them. He would rescue, but never anything more. That is why his clan was always referred to as a band of misfits. It was almost like an animal shelter, a really interesting sort of shelter...one with immortal beings and huge attitudes.
     He quickly walked past the door, hating the feelings that Jongin always conveyed when he was thinking. Finally he walked up to the door he dreaded most stopping in front of it and searching for something. He found nothing, and he knew Kris was awake. He heard small sobs from within the room. Baekhyun cursed under his breath, he forgot he wasn’t the only one who had something to hide. Kris, the freaking supernatural shield. He could hide his emotions, he could withstand most wounds and healed unimaginably fast. He was tough as nails and was not easily broken, unless it dealt with the past. That what he was obviously thinking about at the moment as his defences cracked allowing Baekhyun to sense small spurt of pain and dread.
     Baek cracked the door open and he was met with a white bed covered in ruffled sheets. A dim light escaped from the cracked bathroom door. The sobs became more audible as Baekhyun walked further into the room, placing his hand on the cold metal handle, taking a deep breath. He swung the door open gently only to be faced with the sight of his best friend crumpled against the wall in tears. His blonde hair was messily intertwined with his fingers, tugging on it to relieve some of the emotional pain. He was thinking about it again, though Baekhyun had advised strongly against it. Baekhyun had to admit Krs had had the most difficult life of them all, even after he was turned. He came from a poor borderline abusive family, he was chased and hunted regularly, and the only thing that gave him any salvation in his mortal life betrayed him. But Baekhyun had decided if anyone was stupid enough to give Kris up like his boyfriend did, then that person did not deserve him in anyway shape or form. If Kris ever fell in love again, Baekhyun would be the first to examine him, to deem him worthy. There was no way he was getting hurt again, and he was obviously hurting pretty bad right now. Baekhyun noted that Kris didn’t notice when he walked in, so he was clearly distracted.
    “I told you not to think about it,” a sweet voice carried through the air, breaking the silence. Kris shot his head up and gave a somewhat shocked look, but then a look of gratitude. He took his hands off his head and wiped away the forming tear before he curtly nodded his head. As he moved back down to his sides he brushed his hand across his scar one last time, and Baekhyun caught it. “Thats in the past, you really shouldn’t continue thinking about it,a’ the voice of reason continued as Kris stood up. His tall form leaned against the wall as he was still trying to gain a bit of strength.
    “Its not that easy, and I know you understand that,” Kris finally spoke his voice still tainted with the sound of holding back tears. Baekhyun’s heart broke at the sound of the boy’s voice. Of course he had heard him in this much pain before, but he had the same reaction every time. He wasn’t in love with Kris or anything, not in a way other than extreme friendship. Although Kris was older than him when he was turned, Baekhyun had been a vampire at least fifty years before Kris was even born. He felt responsible for him, they had some sort of deep connection that none of the others really had. Thats why when Baekhyun was met with the gleaming golden eyes that were shining from tears covering his eyes, he had to turn away before he was forced to share the same emotional pain that was burdening his friend as of right now. Kris again rubbed his already red eyes to rid of any excess tears and looked at baekhyun again, searching for an answer expectantly.
    “I-I know...I do get it, but I’ve dealt with it,” Baekhyun responded convincingly.
“You’ve only had like a seventy years head start,” Kris mumbled back. Baekhyun turned his head back and looked Kris back in the eyes and when he felt no wave of sudden emotions wash over him, he let out a relieved sigh. He had his defences back up and the thoughts were starting to leave him alone.
“You’ll learn one day Wufan,” he encouraged Kris, but immediately regretted his choice of name. There was a reason he usually called him Kris, because that's all anybody knew him as. No one knew his real name, except Baekhyun because he had heard it when he saved him. The name was obviously too directly related to the memories, and that was clear as Kris turned his head away and trudged into his bedroom, not meeting the deep blue eyes.
“I sure as hell hope you are right,” he mumbled as he flopped onto the bed, closely followed by Baekhyun.
“I am, just start to get ready. If you get started now maybe you'll be done by the time the rest of us are ready to go,” Baekhyun joked, attempting to lighten the mood. Kris chuckled and let out a small snort.
“I do not take that long, especially compared to you eyeliner queen,” he snapped back. Baekhyun’s eyes widened. ‘Oh hell no!’ he thought. His jaw dropped open and just stayed there, not able to form a proper retort. “And I rendered you speechless, I’m just that awesome I guess,” Kris complemented himself as he covered himself up in his sheets again, pretending he was sleeping. Baekhyun let out a low growl and huffed a bit toward Kris.
“Fine, you win,” he admitted before walking towards the door. “You really should get up, its your job to wake the others, and its about time.” Kris groaned and whined, turning around to face the figure in his doorway.
“But Baek, I hate doing that,” he whined. “Kai always throws a pillow at me and I make it out alive of Chen’s.” He then put on a cute face, which shockingly worked on Baekhyun.

“Fine! Whatever...I’ll do it,” Baekhyun said before he had to stare at the face any longer. A look of relief spread across Kris’s face as he closed his eyes. He was then promptly hit in the face by a pillow. “Wake up!” Baekhyun yelled jokingly. Kris sat up ridiculously fast and sent a y glare at Baekhyun just before the latter slammed the door and ran down the hall, not wanting to fight Kris this early in the morning. He arrived back at the first door and started his rounds.
“THis is going to be one long day,” Baekhyun sighed out as he swung open Sehun’s door.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: ANGST!! Which according to my lit. teacher is not a word...LIES!! Oh, I wanted to use this section to rant a little bit, this story will not all be angst, just wanted to lay a base line. I think the next two chapters will have a much lighter mood, and then I get to introduce more angst with the humans! And I know what you are thinking about this chapter other than "It "... you are thinking Kris can not pull off a cute face! Lies! Look I shall show you!

?ui=2&ik=9c9a8fcffe&view=att&th=13ca0c70

I have told you! And look at Tao! He is is like "LOOK AT ME!! IM CUTER THAN HIM!!! LOOK AT ME!!!" So...yeah...