Final

Falling In Love With A Happy Virus

 

As the movie ended, she looked around to see the boys already asleep. She told her umma that she would feel bad if she had to wake them up, so her umma agreed for them to sleepover, with them sleeping in the living room and her in her bedroom. As she came back, she noticed that one of the boys was not sleeping.

“Baekhyun oppa?” she called. He looked up at her and gave her a smile. “You’re not asleep?”

He shook his head with that same smile, “Aniyo. I’m not that sleepy yet actually.”

“Me too.” She agreed.

Baekhyun stood up, “Do you want to go out for a walk? I don’t want to bother the others.” Suddenly Sehun gave out a snore, causing the two conscious people to give out a laugh. “They are just resting so well.”

Chaehwan nodded her head, “Sure. Let me just get my coat.” Once they stepped outside, she noticed that they were still in their pajamas. “I have a feeling we should change out our PJs.”

“I came straight to your house with my PJs on. I didn’t bring any extra pants with me, so you are staying in your PJs as well young lady.” Baekhyun commanded.

Chaehwan gave out a giggle, “Araso. Araso Bacon oppa.”

Baekhyun gave her a look before leading themselves to a nearby supermarket. He bought the both of them a cup of hot chocolate from inside to warm themselves from the chilly weather. While sipping their hot beverages, they planned to walk to a nearby park.

On their way there, two couples were at a restaurant. Chanyeol boredly sat at the table he was at with his friend Hwijun, and two girls, one being his friend’s date and the other being his. His date was a very beautiful foreign exchange student that was studying in Korea for about 2 years so far. She was actually the one to ask her friend to ask Hwijun to have a double date that night. Hwijun, being weak when it came to girls, accepted the offer and dragged Chanyeol along as he was the sole reason for the set up.

The girl, Minyeon, scooted her chair closer to Chanyeol, tapping his arm to get his attention. He turned his head to see what she wanted. “Do you want to take a walk with me? I think some walking could help my stomach digest the food better.”

“Now?” He looked out the window. Since the sky had darkened, he was growing anxious about how movie night was going. “I guess we can…”

“Yay!” she excitedly said. She told her friend that they were going to leave first.

Chanyeol walked out of the restaurant first, not noticing his two friends coming his way. Miyeon came out and tripped on a crack on the cemented ground. With his quick reflexes, he wrapped his arm around her waist, “Be careful.” She blushed and bowed her head a little to show her gratitude.

“Chanyeol?” a male voice called him. He looked up, his eyes widening as he saw Chaehwan and Baekhyun standing in front of him. Chaehwan saw the girl next to him and knew instantly. He was on a date with someone else instead of her, ditching their planned movie night. And with that, she ran away, tears already falling down her cheek.

Chanyeol reached a hand out to her, “Chaehwan ah!” he called out to her, but she was already gone. He then turned to his friend. Baekhyun stared at him, shook his head, and ran off to find their crying friend. “.” He said under his breath.

He looked at Miyeon, who stared up at him. She shyly spoke, “Did I do something wrong?”

Chanyeol shook his head. “Aniyo, it’s my entire fault.” He set his hands on each of her shoulders as he faced her. “Mianhaeyo, but I have to go. This date shouldn’t have happened. I’ve been in love with my friend for the longest time and I think it’s about time that I confess to her. Mianhaeyo for giving you false hope for coming out tonight.”

Miyeon was upset yet she understood, “It’s okay. You didn’t really seem interested during our date anyway.”

Chanyeol started to feel bad, “Mianhaeyo again Minyeon shi.” As she reassured him again that it was alright, he patted her shoulder and ran off in search for Chaehwan.

Chaehwan sobbed under the same spot she cried when Chanyeol asked her about appa. ‘Stupid Chanyeol! Why didn’t he say anything?! Why couldn’t he just tell me that he was going out with a girl tonight instead of making me have false hope for a relationship together?’ She thought of the moments when they were going to kiss. “Why does that jerk make me feel this way?!” she yelled out her frustrations as she buried her face into her crossed arms in top of her knees. Once she ran out of tears, she crawled out from under the staircase of the jungle gym. To her surprise, Baekhyun was seated at a nearby bench, patiently waiting for her.

He stood up and walked over to her, “Cried out your heart yet?” She glumly shook her head as new tears were beginning to resurface her once dried eyes. “You like Chanyeol a lot, don’t you?” She had a hard time to keep in her feelings, but once he asked, she spilled everything that had happened between her and the jerk. ‘He tried to kiss her, but didn’t have the courage to follow through. Coward.’ he thought. Baekhyun pulled Chaehwan into a hug to try and comfort her as much as he could since their friend was nowhere to be found at the moment. “Just give him some time to think over what he’s done.” Chaehwan hugged him back as she cried some more.

At the same time, Chanyeol arrived at the park. He saw his two friends. Once he saw Chaehwan’s tears, he couldn’t push himself to go over there. How could he go to them like nothing happened? The sounds of her cries broke his heart that he had to run away.

For the past three weeks, they were both not the same anymore. Chanyeol didn’t come over to her place and vice versa. Chanyeol did his best not to cross paths with Chaehwan, but would watch her from afar. The other students took notice of them being separated and everything went back to how it was before Chanyeol entered Chaehwan’s life; a living hell.

Chaehwan’s umma took notice quickly when she saw her daughter come home with bruises. She asked Chanyeol’s friends to somehow watch over her. One of Chanyeol’s friends would always wait for her outside the gate of the school to keep her company and bring her home. It was a certain day that Chaehwan had waited for and she was already having an annoying day. Once she closed her locker door shut, her finger accidentally got caught. Chaehwan quickly put her finger in to somehow ease the pain.

As it was the end of school, she slowly walked over to the school gates. Voices yelled out to her, “Chaehwan ah!” she looked up to see all of Chanyeol’s friends. She gave them a little smile as she walked toward them. As she got near, they started calling over a certain person she didn’t want to see at the moment. “Chanyeol hyung!” Sehun yelled.

Chanyeol stopped where he was as he saw his friends. He saw a familiar female figure among them, but not facing his direction. He scratched the back of his head as he slowly made his way over to them. He couldn’t face Chaehwan at the moment, but he really wanted to talk to her. As Chaehwan could hear his footsteps getting closer, she turned to Suho, “Suho oppa. I’m actually not feeling well. I’m just going to head home.”

He looked at her with concern, but he knew the real reason why she didn’t want to be there at that very moment, “Araso.” Baekhyun volunteered to take her home. Chanyeol saw Chaehwan and Baekhyun walk away from the group as he arrived. He watched their walking figures until they disappeared over the hill. He gave out a sigh and followed the others to go to the arcade. Chaehwan and Baekhyun grew close as he tried his best to fill in the emptiness that Chanyeol use to take over in Chaehwan’s life, but he feels like it’s not entirely working, which is true.

As they were in front of Chaehwan’s house, she turned to face her friend, “Komaowo for taking me home Baekhyun oppa. I just feel awful for leaving the others.”

“Are you including Chanyeol in the ‘others’ category?” Baekhyun questioned. She was silent, causing him to quickly apologize. He was just frustrated at his best friend’s actions. Chanyeol was also avoiding him as well. They bid farewell and Baekhyun went on his way to meet up with his friends.

Chaehwan entered the silent house and immediately went to the mantel where her appa’s picture frame sat on top. Surrounding the mantel were fruits, bread, and soju. His smiling face made her weakly smile back at him. She got onto her knees and bowed in front of the mantel. Her umma ushered into the living room, placing another bowl of fruits onto the mantel and getting onto her knees too. As Chaehwan’s knees ached from the continuous bowing to her appa, she went up to her bedroom as she left her umma to continue bowing.

She changed into warm clothes and got ready to go visit her appa’s grave. When she went back downstairs to see if her umma was ready, she noticed that her umma was still bowing. “Umma.” She called her. Her umma stopped and looked at her, “It’s time to go now.” She nodded her head and began to get up, but quickly crumpled back down. Chaehwan rushed over to her umma’s side, “Umma gwenchana?”

Her umma laughed, “Ne, but I think my legs gave out for bowing too much to your appa.”

She couldn’t help but smile along with her umma, “I’ll just go alone to see appa then. “ Chaehwan stood up and bowed to her umma after convincing her that she would be alright going alone, “I’ll be back soon!” she waved at her appa’s picture and went on her way.

At the arcade, Sehun and Kai pushed each other as they played TEKKEN as Suho and Chanyeol were going against each other on Street Fighter. Chanyeol, the champ of Street Fighter among his friends, lost to Suho for the 4th time. “How can you lose to Suho hyung? He’s the worst player among all of us!” D.O. yelled at Chanyeol.

Suho shot him a look, “Yah. Say that again to my face.” He dared D.O. The big-eyed friend crossed his arms and huffed out a frustrated sigh.

Baekhyun watched as Chanyeol sloppily stood up from the seat to let D.O. have a turn and stepped outside of the arcade. Baekhyun followed him out. He followed him to a nearby food cart where they ordered their plates of dukbokki. As they both finished, they both walked back to the arcade in silence. Chanyeol sipped his cup of soup the nice dukbokki ahjumma gave to him. Baekhyun took a careful sip of his as well. He couldn’t take the silence anymore and finally spoke up before Chanyeol could enter the arcade.

“Could we talk please?” Baekhyun said.

Chanyeol turned around to face his friend with a cool facade, “About what?”

Baekhyun scoffed with the roll of his eyes, “You know about what. I’m talking about Chaehwan ah!”

“I don’t want to talk about her.” Chanyeol turned around to go inside, but Baekhyun grabbed his arm, stopping him.

“Stop being ignorant, will you?! Can’t you see that avoiding Chaehwan ah hurts her? Heck, you’re hurting yourself as well. She wants to know why you didn’t tell her anything at all about that day and why you keep leading her on if you don’t carry out the situation!” Baekhyun yelled out, finally letting out his bottled up feelings about his idiot friend.

Chanyeol’s hand on the door handle fell limp to his side and slowly turned back to face Baekhyun. Just by looking at Chanyeol, you could tell that he was hurting too. His eyes shined with tears glossing them more with his overwhelmed emotions, “What do I do Baekhyun?” Chanyeol croaked as his tears began to fall.

Baekhyun softened as he saw the Happy Virus actually crying. He clapped a hand on his tall friend’s shoulder, “Go to her and explain everything. Apologize if you have to. She really wants to see the always optimistic Chanyeol again.” Just then, his cell phone rang. He quickly picked it up as he saw that it was Chaehwan’s umma. “Yobosaeyo?” He raised an eyebrow, “Cheolamlyo?” Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol wiping his tears away and blinking new ones from starting, “I’ll send one of us there as soon as possible. Don’t worry ahjumma. Ne.”

After making sure that his tears were gone, Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun, “Who was that?”

“Chaehwan’s umma. She wants one of us to go to Chaehwan ah.”

Chanyeol’s eyes widened, “Wae?! Is she in trouble?!”

Baekhyun fully faced the tall male, “Today is her appa’s death anniversary.”

Chanyeol’s eyes widened even more, “MORAGO?!?! HOW COULD YOU LEAVE HER ALONE WHEN SHE’S IN NEED OF SOMEONE IN A TIME LIKE THIS?!?!”

Baekhyun raised his hands up in defense, “I just found out right now.”

“W-Which cemetery is she at?” After Baekhyun told him where, he dashed off to meet Chaehwan. Baekhyun smiled in triumph and went back inside.

Chaehwan was seated on the grass in front of her appa’s grave. She placed the bouquet of flowers she had purchased at flower shop nearby down next to the gravestone. “Appa… Could you give me a moment to spill out my feelings?” A rush of wind blew past her, swiftly tucking a couple of loose hairs behind her ear, which was what her appa used to do when she was younger. She smiled at the action, meaning that her appa was there. Chaehwan told him all her troubles about school, but told him that that all changed because of one guy. “Chanyeol is really funny and is protective of me.” Her smile faltered, “Well, was protective.” She then spoke about her and Chanyeol drifting apart because how she felt jealous and confused about the whole situation about him and a girl. “Appa, mollayo if you would even allow me to have a boyfriend if you were still alive, but…would you have approved of Chanyeol?”

Of course there was no response from her appa, but there was another voice that talked back to her, “How could you even ask that question when I didn’t even get to ask you out yet?”

Chaehwan turned her head towards where the voice was coming from. She gasped as she saw Chanyeol standing a couple of feet away from her. She didn’t even recognize his voice from not talking to him for a long while. “Ch-Chanyeol…” She scrambled up and walked slowly towards him, “What are you doing here? H-How did you know?”

He smiled widely, which he rarely did for the past three weeks they were separated from each other (emotionally). “How could I forget that it’s your appa’s death anniversity?” ‘Even though I just found out a while ago’, he thought. He walked past her and set down his own bouquet of flowers he got from the same flower shop on his way to the cemetery. After bowing and paying his respects to Chaehwan’s appa, he stood up and started to talk to her appa, “Annyeonghaseyo abunim. I’m Park Chanyeol, Chaehwan ah’s friend. I have to admit, I did make your daughter cry for the past couple of days *cough*weeks.” Chaehwan cracked a smile. Chanyeol got onto his knees and kept on apologizing to her appa for causing you pain and explaining the situation in every detail, including personal side notes.

She had to stop Chanyeol from bowing too much, as his legs might give out just like her umma’s. “Kumanhae Chanyeol oppa.” As Chanyeol’s legs were already sore, he laughed it off and sat down on the grass. Chaehwan quietly sat down next to him. He looked at her and nervously cleared his throat, “C-Chaehwan ah?” She looked at him, causing him to forget what he was going to say.

With his stuttering, Chaehwan laughed. He smiled at her laugh and felt himself moving forward. She paused and noticed what was happening. Inching closer to each other until they felt each other’s breath on their lips, he turned away. Chaehwan has had it with his games and grabbed his face in her tiny hands and attached their lips together. Chanyeol’s eyes widened at what was happening before him. Chaehwan was kissing him. He softened when he saw her eyes closed and closed his eyes as well. His hand found her waist and pulled her closer to deepen the kiss.

Suddenly, the wind blew and leaves flew into his face. He backed away from the kiss, “Ahh!” he yelled as he swatted the leaves away.

Chaehwan laughed, “Maybe my appa thought the kiss was a little too long for a first kiss.” She pointed to his grave stone, “We were kissing in front of his grave after all.” Chanyeol quickly apologized to her appa.

As they finished, they walked hand in hand back home. Chanyeol happily swung their hands while singing a happy tune as Chaehwan just giggled and tried her best to follow along. Once they arrived at her house, she invited him in. Her umma was shocked to see him, but immediately welcomed him with wide open arms.

At school, everyone, excluding Baekhyun of course,  was shocked to see Chanyeol and Chaehwan hanging out with each other again. His fangirls practically literally fainted when they caught him giving Chaehwan a kiss on the lips before the bell rang. As he walked down the hallway, he chanted nonstop, “SARANGHAE PARK CHAEHWAN!” until his friends told him to shut up. Chaehwan blushed yet giggled as she took her seat.

She looked out the window and smiled, ‘So this is how it is to be in a relationship.’ She heard Chanyeol chanting again and heard a teacher yell at him to be quiet. Chaehwan rolled her eyes with a tiny smile and shook her head at Chanyeol’s craziness. ‘Having a Happy Virus is such a handful, but if he’s my best friend and I will do anything to make him happy. Saranghae Park Chanyeol.’

******************************************

So, here's my oneshot ^^

I hope you guys liked it.

I lost my idea towards the end because I got swamped with homework on the very first day back to school X___X

Hope I didn;t disappoint >.<

Coments are loved <333