Blushes and Keychains

Gods Among Men...or Boys...Whichever

 

Baekhyun rolled around in his bed.
He couldn’t stop thinking about the boy he had seen in the hallway earlier that afternoon. The stranger looked lost but so content. The way he smiled while looking at all the handmade goodies. The way his eyes twinkled as he gazed around at all the decorations. The way his long hair fell over his shoulder, the way his long legs gracefully dodged all the other students, the way his hands…

“Okay!” Baekhyun shot out of bed and grabbed his phone. Before dialing the number he had in mind he glanced at the clock, 12:00AM.
“Yeah he’ll be up.”
He waited patiently until he heard a very stressed, “Hello?”
“Hey Suho hyung, I have a question.”
“No, Senior Class A did not really play a o video with me in it, the whole thing was just a hoax.”
“Um…what?”
“…That wasn’t what you were going to ask, was it?”
“No hyung, no it was not.”
“Oh…”
“…”
“Well what do you want!? I still have work to do!”
“Oh uh, what’s the dress code for hair?”
“That…never mind. All hair colors must be natural colors, i.e. brown, black, and blonde but only in some cases.”
“And that’s it?”
“Yeah, why?”
“Nothing, I was just curious.”
“…Please don’t dye your hair! I already went through this with Sehun. First he wanted to dye it green, then grey, now pink and I just can’t-”
“NO! No, I do not want to dye my hair. Just. Curious.”
“Okay good.”
“I’ll see you tomorrow. Please don’t forget to sleep.”
“I’ll try not to but I can’t promise anything.”


Baekhyun hung up first. He sighed, feeling bad for his hyung but Suho was the one who ran for President.
Tomorrow he was going to find that boy whether he liked it or not. The brunette stood on his bed, determined until his mom called him down for dinner.


***


It was another, mad house of a day. More people screaming. More things breaking. More Sehun crying. This week could not end fast enough for Suho.

Baekhyun, however, wanted it to last forever until he found the tall stranger. Hundreds upon thousands of students were in the hallways, all but one orange haired giant.

The Smiling Prince had had it by noon. He had run all over the school yet still no hot stranger. Baekhyun escaped outside to one of the beautifully elaborate court yards. He sighed as he sat on a wooden bench under a lard oak tree, silently listening to the trickling water in nearby fountains. “Where are you?” he whispered as he closed his eyes and leaned back.
“Where is who~?”
As quickly as they closed, his brown eyes snapped back open. Baekhyun sat confused for a bit. “Was it just my imagination?” He sat up and looked around, seeing no one.
“Oh God, I’m going crazy.”
“Haha, no your not! Up here silly!”
Baekhyun sat even more dumbfounded. With his eyebrows furrowed, he looked left, right, down, and then up.
Up.
Up in the tree was a pair of long legs, twinkling eyes, and a sweet smile that belonged to a very handsome face draped with long honey-orange hair.
“Hi!” his deep voice echoed in Baekhyun’s ears as he stared stupidly up into the tree. It took a few moments for him to realize that he was staring at the stranger with his mouth wide open. As quickly as he could he closed his mouth, making sure that he wasn’t drooling.
“Th-that hair isn’t r-regulation!” Baekhyun mentally face palmed. “Is that what you say? Stuttering like a fool while you spent all day looking for him? For shame!”
The stranger lost his smile and jumped from the outrageously large height, landing on his feet with a loud *thud*.
He turned around to look at Baekhyun, who was still sitting dumbfounded on the bench.
The stranger tilted his head and noticed the band on Baekhyun’s arm that read “VP”.
“‘VP’, what’s it mean?”
“Excuse me??” Baekhyun couldn’t believe the other changed the subject.
“That band on your arm. Does it mean something special?”
What was this boy an alien? “It means that I am student council Vice President of the school, shouldn’t you know that?” That came out too cocky.
“Hm, sounds important…” The stranger stared at Baekhyun like he was looking at the missing link (or so Baekhyun thought). “Can you show me around the school Vice President?”
“Uh…Y-yeah, but what- I mean…don’t you go here? You’re wearing our uniform.”
The stranger paused for a moment but answered suavely, “I’m a uh…what’s it called…oh! Exchange student.”
Baekhyun died, “God that smile!”
The brunette stumbled a little as he got up from the bench, “Um, of course! Please follow me.”


Baekhyun guided the abnormally taller male back into the bustling school. Many people gawked (mostly at the other boy for being with the Prince) but in no way was that going to ruin Baekhyun’s mood. On the outside he made sure to keep his composure, but on the inside he was flying all over the place, jumping for joy, and giggling this way and that. It was time to start a conversation.


“My name is Byun Baekhyun by the way. It’s nice to meet you.”
“And mine is Park Chanyeol.”
They shook hands. Baekhyun, however, was too little dazzled by Chanyeol’s elegance.
“Come back to earth Baekhyun, you still have all day with this guy. You can fanboy all you want when you get home.”
Baekhyun spoke up, “So have you been enjoying all the festivities?”
“Yeah! You have a lot of nifty things here. And the decorations are fantastic! Did you guys really do this all yourselves?”         
“Well some of us did. As you probably know, a lot of wealthy families are apart of this school, so some of them hire workers to build the sets for them. It’s a way to build leadership and business qualities, you know?”
Chanyeol seemed a little lost but he nodded all the same.
“By the way Chanyeol-ah, that hair isn’t school regulation.”
“But it’s natural.”
“IT IS!?” Baekhyun’s voice silenced quite a few students. They stared at the short boy, judging him but soon returned to what they were doing. Nonetheless, Beakhyun blushed deeply and kept walking. Chanyeol chuckled and followed.
“You’re really short, you know that?”
“Excuse me!?” Baekhyun shot his body around to “face” the other.
“I think it’s cute how short you are.” Chanyeol looked down at him with a wide grin on his face. Baekhyun took a step back in shock, blushing an even darker shade of red.
The taller giggled, “You look like a tomato now.”
“What the hell!? How can someone be so hot but so annoying!?”  
“I will have you know that I am a perfectly average height, I am not cute, and I certainly do not look like a tomato!! Maybe you’re the one who’s too tall with an oddly perfect complexion!!!”
Chanyeol only laughed, “You’re cute when you’re angry too!”
“I-you-what?” Baekhyun broke his glare, growled and stomped down the hallway with Chanyeol silently following.

It took some time to cool off but once he did, Baekhyun turned around and looked at the taller boy. “Where do you want to go?”
“Mmm…I want to see all the little things that those girls made back there.” Chanyeol pointed behind him with a radiant smile.
Baekhyun looked at the other, “Your eye is twitching.”
“Yeah, it does that.” He laughed loudly, making the brunette giggle to himself.
“What a dork…a cute dor-NO! Nononononono!...yes-no-yes…”
Baekhyun beckoned the latter over to the area where girls upon girls stood with their handmade crafts.
“Hi oppa! Do you want to buy something!?”
“Oppa~! Who’s your friend?”
“Oppa!? Who is that with you!?”
“Oppa~! You never tasted this for me!!”
“OPPA I LOVE YOU!!”

“Wow you’re like a god around here!”
“Well, I wouldn’t say that.” Baekhyun smiled bitterly as he perused the trinkets and things laid out on the table.
“Then what’s up with all your worshipers?”
Baekhyun laughed when he saw the other’s rather serious face, “Jeez you really are an alien. Their not worshipers, they’re just fangirls. They have a crush on me that’s all.”
“That last one looked like she wanted to eat you, not date you.”
“Yeah, she’s weird. Do you see anything you like?”
Chanyeol eagerly looked back down at the table. “Umm…I like…THIS!” He picked up a small monkey keychain that had a big grin on its face and a small b-boy hat on its head.
Baekhyun giggled, “It suits you.”
“Really!?” Chanyeol’s face light up.
“Yup! Do you want me to buy it for you?”
“You would do that?”
“Yeah, why not? Think of it as a welcome present.”
“Thanks Vice President!”

The brunette raised an eyebrow, “Silly, call me Baekhyun.”

Just then something changed about the former stranger. Was it the look in his eye? Was it his sharp features? Was it his posture?

Chanyeol’s long hair fell across his face before sincerely looking into Baekhyun’s dark brown eyes. With a kind smile his own eyes turned to unique crescents and almost whispered a deep and gentle “Thank you Baekhyun.”

The shorter boy could only look at the beautiful face that radiated before him. It was almost as though time had stopped around them and all there was a shared moment of a gentle gaze between two individuals. He felt…he felt…what did he feel? What was this moment?


“Here’s your change Oppa!” Baekhyun snapped out of his fantasy, not even feeling like he knew where he was.
“Mm, th-thanks.” When he turned back to Chanyeol, the boy’s face had gone back to silly and cute. “What was that?”

The boys continued to walk around the large school. Baekhyun enlightened Chanyeol about the school, its buildings, its students, and its history. The brunette made sure to do everything slowly, he wanted as much time with this boy as possible. He searched the deepest part of his memories for information and even made up some just to linger their time together. Chanyeol didn’t seem to catch on; he smiled and nodded at the information. He laughed at Baekhyun’s cuteness and made fun of him a few times. And before they knew it the school day had ended.

Baekhyun became melancholy as he watched the school empty out before his eyes. Students waved goodbye to their friends and made their trip home. However, Baekhyun didn’t want to leave. He looked up to meet the other’s gaze. “I hope I was able to help today.”
Chanyeol looked down at him, almost surprised, “Of course you helped!! I had a great time! Can I…could we…meet up again tomorrow?”
Those words were music to Baekhyun’s ears. “YES! I mean, yeah…if you want.”
Chanyeol laughed and placed a large hard on the other’s head. “So cute.” He whispered before turning around and leaving the campus. Before he was out of sight he lifted his arm and waved without looking back.
Baekhyun stood, frozen, blushing furiously. “This guy…r-really likes me?” Even if it wasn’t said, he knew there was something between the two, chemistry people call it.

Baekhyun broke out of his daze and ran as fast as he could into the school to get his things. He slowed down, however, when he realized that he had a student council meeting…which he was late to.

***

Baekhyun slowly squeaked open the student council door trying not to make any sudden noise.
“BAEKHYUN YOUR LAAAAATE!!!!”
“Damn”   
“Y-yeah sorry, I was caught up doing something.”
“Of course you were.” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and sat back down in his seat, folding his arms.
Suho rolled his eyes at the umma, and began to speak without looking up from his papers. “Okay this meeting has officially started. That means Sehun, stop crying over the expenses, I will help you later. Kai stop looking at your refection in the window, no matter how long you stare at it; it will not come alive and make out with you. Kyungsoo stop glaring at Kai, he’s only human. Chen wake up, you can sleep later. And Baekhyun…Baekhyun…WHERE WERE YOU TODAAAY!!!!!!?????” The frantic President nearly flew across the table to attack.
“I-I-I-I was just…I was s-showing someone around!!” the brunette held up his hands in surrender.  
“Who!?” Umma stood up looking concerned.
“N-no one!”
“WHY WEREN’T YOU HELPING ME!?”
“Can’t someone help ME!!!? I hate money!”
“Oh you are so gorgeous.”
“I saw Baekhyun flirting with someone today.”
Everyone froze and looked at Chen.
What!?” Kyungsoo’s grinding teeth could be heard from a mile away.
“Yeah he was tall with long hair, who was he Baekhyunnie?”
Baekhyun glared at the very relaxed Chentroll who sat with his chin on the table.
“He was just someone I met. And we weren’t flirting!”
“Who is he?”
“NO ONE!!”

Suho slapped the table (after gaining composure), “If you all don’t mind can we please continue!?”
Baekhyun leaned back and rubbed his temples. The meeting went on until the sun had almost set due to the constant arguing and off topic…ing.
“Tomorrow will be better.” Baekhyun sighed and thought about the taller boy.


Slowly he lost himself in his memories from earlier today.