Another goes down

Tic Toc

Junhong and Jongup had been staring at Kyungsoo for the pass five minutes of their break.

“You know, why don’t you take a break,” Junhong suggests off-handedly. “I mean Jongin hasn’t really woken up, he has bodyguards and well if anything new comes up auntie said she’ll contact us.”

“It’s still different,” muttered Kyungsoo. He wanted to retort but he was too tired to even say something less passive. Junhong juts his lower lip, thinking what makes that so different, its more inconvenient that way.

“Someone whose mindset is at par with a seven year old wouldn’t understand,” Kyungsoo says then bites off the chocolate bar he has stashed in one of his coat’s pocket. He perched on top of one of their desk.

“And I’m guessing you know,” retorted Junhong.

Yoo Kwon shrugged. “Young man with a girlfriend for one year and counting,” he says proudly as he points a finger at himself. Jongup who was silently sitting within their circle approvingly nods his head.

Junhong pushes Jongup lightly. “What’re you nodding so approvingly for? Like you have any girlfriend yourself.”

“No but he has –” Kyungsoo starts but a hand suddenly flew to his mouth and threatening eyes narrowing at him.

Junhong looked at both Kyungsoo and Jongup questioningly.

“Nothing,” Kyungsoo muttered finally as he lays his head on his desk.

 

As Junhong turns his head from the three of them, having himself attracted by their other classmates’ activities, Yoo Kwon and Kyungsoo’s eyes all rested on Jongup – taunting but sympathetic at the same time. Jongup answers them with a scowl.

 

 

 

*~*~*

 

Jinki was curious as to where they were going. Youngjae wasn’t heading to the direction of their usual lunch place. They were heading to one of the busiest places in Seoul instead – skyscrapers in most areas with a few residential areas. Youngjae entered one of the prestigious companies known to everyone.

 

 

“Is Mr. Choi Siwon in,” Youngjae asked the secretary at the information desk politely, warmly.

“Let me just check sir,” the secretary said. After a few minutes she looks up at Youngjae, “Who might be asking and what business do you have?”

Youngjae smiled, he was inside, he knew. “I’m Detective Yoo and,” he says extending a hand towards Jinki who had his back at them as he looks around the lobby. “This is Officer Lee, we have something to inquire of him from that car accident he had a few weeks ago.”

The secretary bobbed her head curtly then was talking to the phone again. Few minutes later she tells them the area and gestures them towards the panel of elevators at one side.

 

 

 

Choi Siwon, still in the prime of his youth but has already achieved more than most of his colleagues could. As a stock broker he had climbed the steps fast and had been one of the top their company has.

 

Choi Siwon was also a player of the Killer Game, the first player ‘saved’. Even though that was the case, he still couldn’t fully relax, not until the game has ended.

 

 

--you may have survived but your time is still ticking.

 

 

That was the message he anonymously received two days since his accident but Siwon knew that. All he can do now is pray that his time would only come right after everyone else has been eliminated of the game. When he receives a call from the intercom, he thought that the killer was after him already but knowing it was the detective he wondered should he tell him everything then? But then that would jeopardize everything he’s achieved as well and decrease his chance of survival just like the ‘untimely’ death of Kwon Yuri.

 

There was a knock on his door. Siwon sighs deeply and calms himself. Whatever goes, he thinks as he tells the people on the other side to come inside. When Youngjae entered, his amiable aura changed drastically and Siwon knows this wouldn’t be an easy person to deal with.

 

“I’m gonna cut right to the chase, and I hope you would too because we are both busy men,” Youngjae starts with an authoritative tone. “And well, I doubt I’ll be losing anything either way anyway,” Youngjae states with a grin.

 

Definitely not someone who Siwon should trifle with, the stock broker thought.

 

 

*~*~*

 

4/29/13: 12:34pm: Status

Card chosen: Citizen

Player: Prankster

 

Update One: Killer has chosen his next victim.

Update Two: This person looks at a mirror most times of his/her life.

 

 

 

He was in the middle of his break. The front echoed with the cacophony of oil bubbling from frying, dishes washed and echoes barked and so on. His fringe, carefully kept back, he didn’t look like it, but he valued his hair, every part of him was valuable after all as he would justify and in truth his whole appearance does bring him a whole lot good.

 

Being a bus boy wasn’t his dream job and he didn’t really fancy it either even if he has the job for half a year now. But it was a good decent job and he needed one.

 

“Kwangmin, if you’re done eating come right up front,” a senior called out

He sighed, chugged the last of his cola and stowed his phone back in his pocket.

 

 

I hope I won’t be pick to do some extensions, he thought, that package needs to be delivered.

 

 

 

*~*~*

 

“This Cain is becoming bolder and bolder,” Minwoo stated as he wipes sweat from his face.

“Doesn’t he normally do this anyway,” Junhong said in a huff.

Minwoo beats him with a wooden stick. Junhong shrieks from pain as he whines.

“Yah! I’ve been working my off also, don’t I deserve a rest --” Minwoo glares coldly down at him. “Master,” squeaks Junhong. Minwoo hits him nonchalantly with the wooden stick again then leisurely drinks water.

“Well, if it wouldn’t be for the crash course self-defense I’m teaching you then you would’ve been dead the second you have that one on one with the killer, Mr. Police,” teased Minwoo in a matter of fact tone.

Junhong huffed defiantly as he continued with his training.

 

Minwoo’s phone rang once again, signaling a new message’s arrival. After a few seconds Junhong’s phone chirped as well and before he could head to his phone, Minwoo has dismissed their class for the day.

 

“Junhong,” Minwoo called. Junhong hunched for his bag waiting for whatever Minwoo was about to say. He knew, with just the tone of voice that Minwoo had that he was in no way in joking terms.

 

“What do you wanna be when you grow up?” he asked in a serious tone, with a serious face, tilting his head slightly so Junhong could see him.

“Come again?” Junhong asked. He knew the older one was being serious but the statement he used, it was just calling for some giggling of sort. Minwoo straightened himself, now he was facing Junhong face to face, though he had to raise his head a bit as he was squatting on the wooden floor. Junhong straightened and shrugged the strap of his gym bag on his shoulder, as he cleared his throat.

 

“Have you ever considered the make believe job you have in this game,” Minwoo continued, adding quotation marks on said job with his hands to add emphasis, “To be a real job you could have in real life?”

Junhong pursed his lips as he thinks about it acutely and shrugged his shoulders as he admitted that he once did.

“Why do you ask?” Junhong asked in return.

“Have you ever wondered about the reality behind this game?” countered Minwoo. “I mean, despite what people say in the form during the beginning of the game, at social sites or their resume or records whatever, they could just be made up one way or another. And well, despite how whacked up this Killer Game is, people are really dying.”

“So Minwoo you’re saying that you could be lying to me or vice versa?”

Minwoo shrugged. “For one thing, I did not lie anything about myself. I am just a Citizen. I want to live. I know that you are honest yourself. Second, in my opinion I think whoever is behind this game is just playing with us. I don’t know if they’ll really give us money in the end, I don’t even think they have any plans of really helping any of us out in order to survive this sordid game. That’s why…”

“That’s why,” Junhong reiterated, hating the suspense Minwoo is trying to build, wishing for him to speed up.

“I’m not going to trust anyone so easily, you should too. The game is about to end soon, Cain is killing rather intensely I suppose, seeing how you almost caught him. Take care.”

“Hyung, I don’t know if you’re trying to encourage me or the other way around with your ‘take care’,” Junhong whined. Minwoo just chuckled lightly and wordlessly.

 

 

 

*~*~*

 

Though the walls are immaculate white and most seem to look peaceful in wheelchair, crutches or just simply walking, a certain air embrace everyone. It could’ve been because it was a hospital, it was innate of such institution but whatever the reason was, Jongup didn’t really care much about the others, except hope for anyone he sees to feel better in whatever ailment they have.

 

“Any improvements?” Jongup asked with a slight smile he hoped was encouraging. Softly, he closed the door behind him. “Oh yeah, I brought some cake and coffee from our favorite coffee shop,” he chimed in.

Kyungsoo smiled a little as he let himself up from the couch at bedside. Jongup knew he was trying to act strong.

Kyungsoo noticed the mischievous behavior the other was in, stealthily looking around.

“Whatever stupidity you’re thinking I did none of it,” Kyungsoo said dryly.

“What are you talking about,” Jongup said with a laugh as he let the things he brought down on the table and setting the drinks and pastry up. “I was just wondering where the bodyguards went or if uncle was around,” then

 

Jongup narrowed his eyes on his friend. “No need to be so defensive.”

Kyungsoo irked and embarrassed hit the other by the arm lightly.

“So how are things with our Jongin, has Yoo Kwon been here?”

“Sleeping as always but doctors said that his vital signs are stabilizing so all we could do now is wait and yeah, you just missed him and his girl friend.”

“Man, that guy really just spends his free time with her now,” complained Jongup as he makes a stretch.

Kyungsoo huffed as he smiled. “I understand why, I mean, anyone of us could be the next one this week or the next and we can’t be as lucky as Jongin here,” he said with a lot of seriousness in his words. “So you better hurry with that confession of yours,” he ended with a tinged of teasing.

Jongup flailed his arms above his head. “Why did it end up with my heart’s problem now?” he slurped his frap noisily unnecessarily.

 

Kyungsoo laughed. Jongup would’ve maimed Kyungsoo to stop with the teasing but seeing and hearing his friend laughing as happily as this, he decided not – yet. Kyungsoo pats him at the back twice, trying to give him strength.

“Don’t worry, I’ll protect Junhong from any predators.”

“We are not talking about predators Jongup, but one killer,” Kyungsoo said laughing even more.

“I’ll protect him from that psycho also.”

“Might as well chain him in your room or something,” Kyungsoo suggested jokingly.

“Ha-ha, very funny.”

 

 

 

*~*~*

 

“Tell me why the are we on stake out,” complained Jongup, shivering from the cold night breeze.

“Because you said you’ll help me with whatever I’m doing,” answered Junhong bluntly.

Jongup raked a hand on his face. “It’s Thursday doesn’t the killer do his thing on Friday?”

“Any minute now can be Friday technically Cain will do his thing as you say by then.”

“Okay, point taken, but why here? What gives you any idea that this guy is our guy?”

Junhong paused to weigh his thoughts. “Just,” he decides to say with a shrug and he grins widely when he sees the unsatisfied look his companion has drawn on his face.

 

“I’m paying for your meals so shush up and keep your eyes wide open and your ears alert,” Junhong ordered.

Jongup rolled his eyes heavenward and did as he was told anyway – walked as quietly as he could to his designated place with his phone at hand.

 

 

Jongup peeled as far as his little eyes could do and opened his ears as far as he could figuratively though not knowing what their target looked exactly. And he mentally hit his self, why didn’t he ask, he thought.

He pressed a button and Junhong answered on the first ring.

“So what does this guy looked like again?” he asked as nonchalantly as he could.

Jongup could hear the sigh from the other end of the line, he wanted to retort but he was taking the stake out seriously, possibly as much as his best friend already so he kept his mouth shut and just the insides of his cheeks.

 

“He has auburn short hair with the bangs towards the right side, with usually that side the longest, just about the ear I think,” Junhong explained.

“Eung,” Jongup said in affirmation.

“He usually covers his face pretty well, wearing turtlenecks or mufflers but if not then casual boy-next-door-wear.”

“Wow, you know such terminology!”

“Well, you asked for it,” Junhong retorted. “Anyway, after his day job he goes to this studio and do some minor jobs sometimes model if they don’t have much, they should finish right about now. Also if you can hear his voice, if he talks for some reason, if you think it’s in the low key then that could be him most likely.”

“Why does he have any other keys?”

“He has a twin brother, an older one but just as I said, this guy has the lower tone of voice.”

“Then how am I supposed to know who is who when I haven’t heard both of them?”

“The older one is a straight-laced student, always on campus unlike our guy. Just remember the things I pointed out to you then that’s okay.”

 

 

Jongup just hummed in affirmation at each description wondering how on earth Junhong got such information while he scanned the faces from across the street.  But as he was observing each person that has left the building he noticed a familiar figure and wondered if they weren’t spying for another purpose. Blood slightly boiling from the green eyed monster, his finger immediately tapped on a button and called Junhong.

“I didn’t know Im Jin ah worked here,” he said coldly though he hoped he sounded otherwise.

“Really, that’s odd, she should be at another schedule tonight,” came a thoughtful but casual answer from Junhong.

Feeling a thread of patience breaking, Jongup mentally counts to ten. “How do you know that?” he whispered because he can’t tell how loud his normal voice would be if he permits it.

 

Junhong scratched the back of his nape, feeling a bit embarrassed. He didn’t want Jongup to think that he was stalking Jin ah and for some strange reason he dislikes the idea that Jongup would have misunderstandings. Although the woman was truly pretty and his initial thoughts were nearly the same of stalking.

“Detective work,” stated Junhong but it came out more of a question.

“Really now, are we surely following a potential victim or stalking some woman you’re crushing on?”

“Well, since Nana’s on a cab now, we go back to official reason – stake out.”

“Nana, huh?” reiterated Jongup, slightly irritated. “Maybe I should just stop watching this guy and go home.”

“What are you getting mad about? She’s a fine looking woman, don’t you agree?”

Jongup clenches his jaw as his hold tightens on the mobile phone up to his ear. “True.”

“So what’s the current position of Kwangmin?” Junhong almost purred or so does it sound like in Jongup’s ear.

 

 

 

 

*~*~*

 

He zips his jacket until the neck line. It wasn’t really that cold but he likes to be particularly warm anyway, it was a quirk of his, something that differentiated him from his brother. He didn’t used to like that sort of ‘covered up to the neck or chin’ fashion and he didn’t know when it started but it had grown on him that he’d come to the point he’d feel awkward if his neck isn’t warm for a long time.

 

He didn’t like how people compared him with his brother either – it had always been like that for a long time. They were identical for crying out loud why look for differences. Whether it was because of that or everything was just natural, Kwangmin and Youngmin were almost complete opposites, personality-wise. It used to trouble him a lot but at what point he just didn’t care anymore.

 

 

“We’re going out to get some drinks, wanna come?” Jin ah asked as she drapes an arm around Kwangmin’s shoulders. Kwangmin was knocked off lightly and leaned on the mirror with an apologetic smile.

“What,” drawled Jin ah with a pout. “Night job again? Can’t you like take a time off just for one night?”

Kwangmin smiled again as he fixes his cap and ease up his backpack strap. “Sorry but if this finishes early or you guys keep it up until really late then I might catch up with you guys.”

Jin ah kept pouting like a child but had finally let go of Kwangmin.

 

 

 

“Do that part-time job faster okay,” Jin ah called. Her half of the body already in the cab while the other half was about to get in as she talks to Kwangmin, who was standing at the foot of the building’s steps. Kwangmin gave a slight nod of the head and a wave and saying that he’ll do what he can. He waved goodbye at the taxi and waited until it could reach the intersection before walking towards the opposite direction – towards the subway.

 

He fished for his phone and re-read the information again before making a decisive turn at the ticket booth, waiting in cue. He kept looking behind him though. Kwangmin had that strange feeling that someone was watching him but whenever he checks, he never finds anyone suspicious. When he perfectly blends in with the crowd of civilians he slowly began to relax and forget everything but his package and the address to which he has to deliver it to.

 

 

 

*~*~*

 

A smile slowly spreads, a sort of devious aura coming out of it, as a pair of eyes watches the prey intently. A hand inserted inside the coats pocket, feeling for that small but efficient weapon of the night. Now, when was the perfect time to go for the kill? Soon, real soon, until the prey finally thinks that they’re safe… when it truth, that is just the equivalent to the ‘calm before the storm’. And the smile becomes a dark grin as the idea plays on the mind.

 

 

 

*~*~*

5/4/13: 3:03am: Status

Card chosen: Citizen

Player: Prankster

 

Scenario: Citizen is such a hardworking lad. One day job and a secret night occupation, it’s a secret for everyone’s safety. Well, whether he knows it or not, Citizen likes the night job better, easy money after all. It was a normal night, a normal delivery, though for bigger sharks. He was supposed to be good at this already but for tonight he seemed anxious. And I guess, for a good reason.

Citizen was able to deliver the package though, so some backstabbing frat revenge would be unheard of. Citizen was on his way to a party, he rode the subway to get there. It was late but oddly, it was still crowded. When most of the people had crowded towards the exits, a scream echoed through the tube. Citizen was seen clutching against the pole, blood oozing out of his side, a knife stuck deep against his skin.

 

 

Detective Yoo called the attention of officer Jinki who was still at the crime scene, investigating the dead body at a closer range. “Coming,” Jinki called back as he quietly pocketed the phone in his coat. He stood up, talked with the other officers for a minute to get the necessary information or a run through again then went to Youngjae.

“So what have we got?” Youngjae asked the minute Jinki was at his side.

Jinki shrugged. “Same killer,” answered Jinki. “A knife left at the body, his wallet is missing, made it look like a robbery. The weapons going to be sent to the lab but I doubt that it’ll give us something. There were too many people, oddly crowded for a late night subway ride, but no witnesses,” he supplied.

 

 

When they reached the car, Jinki noticed the frown on Youngjae’s forehead. He knows something was bothering his superior. “Choi Siwon’s dead,” Youngjae flatly said and revved the car out of the curb. Jinki felt his phone vibrate and waited for sometime before picking it up. He noticed that the other phone didn’t.