Citizens

Tic Toc

 

Youngjae’s eyebrows furrows, his lips tight and pursed and a finger taps in a slow rhythm at the chair’s arm rest. He has been that way for the past ten minutes. For ten minutes Youngjae had been brooding over the words, he kept them playing on repeat in his mind, he tries to find that one thing similar. It had been seven weeks already and he hates it. He hates the fact that he still hasn’t gotten a clue as to who is behind all these ‘accidents’ after all this time. It was absurd, for him that is or that’s how he thinks.

 

 

“Yah! Yoo Youngjae!” called out the Chief of Police. “To my office! Now!” he growled. The floor became silent.

Youngjae sauntered towards the Chief’s office, looking tired and disinterested. “Yes sir?”

“What the heck are you doing neglecting your duties?”

“I—” Youngjae tries to reason. The Chief scowled at him before sliding on his seat. Youngjae sighed.

 

The Chief shakes his head, fans himself with a folder though the air condition was sufficient in giving cool air. Youngjae knew the Chief was trying to gather or to hold on to that little bit of patience left in him.

“What have you got?” the Chief said in a calmer tone.

“I—” Youngjae starts but the Chief holds out a hand to stop him. Youngjae juts his lip. “Do I ever get to speak?”

“I fairly have an idea where you are heading at and I don’t want to argue or deal with it, as you can see,” and he stretches his hands on the half a tower of files on one side of his desk. Youngjae shrugs. “You don’t have just one case in your hands detective, clean your desk of it, if I still see a few reports undone by the end of the week, I’m closing those files you’re obsessing about.”

“That’s just harsh,” Youngjae comments dryly.

“That’s a job Youngjae, your job and you know I don’t kid. You may be one of the best but I don’t like big heads.”

Youngjae exhales his own frustration. “Roger that,” he mutters, takes a bow and leaves.

 

 

Youngjae grunts and his tapping finger increases its rhythm. “Detective—” Jinki says as he enters Youngjae’s office.

“Done!” Youngjae barks before Jinki even finishes. Jinki flinches.

“Beg your pardon?”

Youngjae points an impatient finger at the files sitting at the settee on the left. “There. Read, investigated, solved, reported. Now leave me be.”

“Huh? Wow. Ah yes, I’ll send this over,” Jinki says, scurrying back outside with the folders in arms.

Youngjae growls under his breath. For the past week, he went on the errand, as he calls them, the Chief gave him and it had been a good way to vent out his frustrations. Tired of sitting and being useless, Youngjae jumps from his seat, grabs his coat and stomped through the office.

“D-detective, w-where are you going? Hey, wait up!” Jinki calls when he noticed Youngjae storming out, moving fast himself seeing Youngjae never cared to slow down.

 

 

*~*~*

 

 

 4/13/13: 02:11 am: Status

Card chosen: Citizen

Player: L

 

Update: The Killer has succeeded.

Scenario: The Citizen was what you call a Material Girl. She loves her gems, her diamonds and whatever it is that women love. She was warned, there was not a day that she wasn’t but she never listens because she was safe. One night though, a perfectly planned burglary came to place. She was just heading to her room, back from a night at a prestigious club. She came face to face with the assailant and was rewarded with a pure black ‘pearl’ in the head.

 

 

 

 

4/20/13: 6:10 am: Status

Card chosen: Police

Player: Zelo

 

Update: The Killer has succeeded.

Scenario: Citizen died. Everyone was baffled. He was what they say a fairly neutral man despite the extravagant life he lived as a DJ for a club. He played for various events that are as colorful as his outfit and hair and was a friend to most celebrities. But as charming as he was, binge drinking could lead you to your death, and that’s how our dear DJ ended.

 

 

 

Junhong sighs gravely as he scrolls from one message to the next. Even though it was a Monday, he had no strength or motivation whatsoever to act like a normal student. The numbers were getting lesser and lesser. Although as L and the Doctor has shared, about their theories on how the Killer thinks, were at the right track they were still one step behind.

 

 

-- Have you noticed how the messages automatically delete itself after a week or two?

 

L messaged him two weeks ago and looking at the two messages now, Junhong had also begun to wonder about it. He was thankful for both characters, honestly, without them, he’d have gone insane and just kill himself and be done with it. If their deductions were right, Cain, the Killer, will target another double digit who is young and probably have an influential background.

 

 

--Don’t tell anyone, this will be very difficult considering you’re still in high school but at this times where anyone can be the victim and the killer I don’t think trusting would be a good idea.

 

The Doctor advised him. But Junhong is feeling more anxious. Judging from the short list that he keeps with him wherever he goes, because he can’t just go to Jongup’s place whenever he wants to even though the other boy was willing to help him at any means possible, Jongin fits the description, except Jongin is a single digit. Junhong tucks the tiny sheet inside his wallet, where he hopes it was safe. He swallows whole the chocolate nugget and with one deep inhale of city air Junhong plays the normal student, hoping that this time the Killer would be so magnanimous and leave bread crumbs again. Because if his instincts were right and L and Doctor’s logic were true, how in hell could he protect his friend at the right moment? And is there even such a player called Killer, if everything always goes his way, were they just pawns in some sick game? Junhong doesn’t want to think that way, because surely there must be a way out of this.

 

 

 

*~*~*

 

“What wrong with you?” Kyungsoo chimes as he hangs an arm over Jongup’s shoulder. Jongup had been looking over the ledge, staring to nothing in particular, though his face etched with annoyance. Jongup just pouts. Kyungsoo looks around and realizes Junhong’s missing then a strange glint in his eyes shone for a second. “Eh, did our Junhong got himself a lady friend and abandoned our cute, intellectual Jongup all alone,” Kyungsoo teased in a sing-song voice, a tone lower than usual. Annoyed Jongup brushes him off and stomps back inside the class.

 

Jongin smacks Kyungsoo at the back of the head. Yoo Kwon just shakes his head.

“What the heck was that for?” complained Kyungsoo.

Yoo Kwon gives him a look, asking him if he really was that stupid. Kyungsoo stands with his back a bit bent, pursing his lips askew. “Fine, I’ll go apologize,” he mumbles as he follows Jongup’s wake.

“But he seriously has to lighten up, Junhong’s a man, he has his needs.” Kyungsoo’s head popped right back from the door.

“Can I just take care of this myself,” Jongin exclaimed, begging Yoo Kwon to give him permission.

Yoo Kwon pretends to give it some thought and Jongin knows it and grunts disagreeably. “Fine,” Yoo Kwon finally says as he heads towards a different direction. “Just don’t hit him too much, you might make him worse.”

Jongin smiles broadly. “No worries, I have my own rep to keep after all,” he states confidently and enters the classroom.

 

 

 

If only Kyungsoo and the others know of what Jongup was actually worried about, though it was obviously Junhong but there were no any sort of women involved, except for the other victims. But then again, seeing the chart, the network he and Junhong had strung up, the female participants were pretty. And he realized that he has something to worry about because as Kyungsoo says Junhong was just a man and he has his needs.

 

 

Junhong doesn’t have those at priority though, Jongup tells himself again and at these crazy times he was the only person Junhong relies on that is until Junhong had found allies in the said game.

“What the Junhong?” he whispers to no one in particular. He tries to keep himself unnoticed. He doesn’t want any unwanted attention in class for something as trivial as emotional turmoil.

 

This game has to end soon Jongup thoughts, because he couldn’t bear how much more this game could take his friend away from him.

 

If two unknown people could get Junhong’s trust easily… Jongup couldn’t allow himself to ponder anymore.

 

He settled for calling Junhong an idiot. Junhong’s ‘allies’ tell him not to trust anyone simply and yet he has ironically done just that. Jongup steals a glance at Junhong who was seconds away from getting hit by the teacher’s log book.

 

“Serves you right,” Jongup muttered when the inevitable happened. “Hopefully that’ll put some sense in your head.” Even though he’s bitter at how things have turned out he still nagged at Junhong via text message.

 

 

 

*~*~*

 

The four of them made a sudden plan of hanging out, in the guise of studying at Jongin’s place. They were wary about the venue but with regards to convenience, Jongin, being the senator’s son, has more to offer, much much more. “See you guys at seven then,” Jongin says as he walks to a different direction, where the car was probably waiting for him. Since the recent incidents that happen, for some reason, Jongin’s father has become a bit paranoid and made it a point that his son will be driven to and fetch from school, no objections. Jongin didn’t mind at this point, because he knows that alone he is not safe, not until the game is over that is.

 

“Junhong,” Youngjae called, with a hand raised to greet. Junhong surprised and curious almost called him out as detective but Youngjae was fast to put a finger over his lips telling him to keep it a secret and Junhong awkwardly acknowledges him without the title.

 

“Do you have a sec?” Youngjae asked, standing up from the railings he was leaning against.

Junhong looked at his friends, Kyungsoo and Yoo Kwon shrugged.

“See you later then,” Yoo Kwon said with a wave.

“Jongup let’s go,” Kyungsoo says. But acting like a petulant kid, Jongup had other plans. And irked him more that Junhong didn’t want him there was well. “C’mon Jongup, it’s not like you won’t see him later.” And Jongup was dragged away like that. Jongup doesn’t specifically like this detective, the first two times was probably for business, since he was a law enforcer but to ‘visit’ Junhong and being secretive about it, Jongup doesn’t like that.

 

First I have that game, then there’s those players in that game and now this detective is also competing with my time with Junhong!

 

 

*~*~*

 

Youngjae watched the trio leave and much amused with Jongup. “That small-eyed kid sure is pretty attached with you,” he commented. Junhong shrugged the sling of his bag onto his shoulder.

“Well, we go way back,” he answered. “So what do you want with me?”

Youngjae smiled. A mysterious smile that Junhong guessed was something he does when he is in detective-mode. But instead of getting his answer, he was invited for some snack instead and on Jinki’s treat which he knew wasn’t really pleasurable for the said person. 

 

“Do you guys always go together, Jinki and you?” Junhong asked pointing the fork at the two adults across the coffee table from him. Youngjae and Jinki looked at each other before giving different answers.

“He idolizes me,” Youngjae shamelessly says.

“I’m his caretaker, he’s such a brat,” Jinki states. Junhong stifles a laugh.

“Anyway, I’m gonna be blunt and direct because from what I saw, you have somewhere you have to be,” Youngjae states. Junhong nods. “How are you, Choi Junhong, a normal high school student somehow related to these incidences?” Youngjae interrogates in a professional manner.

“Huh?” Junhong was taken aback.

“Detective, how could you even make such an absurd—” Jinki reasons.

Youngjae stops him with a hand while not taking his eyes off the high school student.

 

Junhong’s eyebrows furrows, surely this detective isn’t part of the game nor does he know of its existence. Uncertain Junhong feigns innocence, because if Yoo Youngjae was part of the game then he could be the Killer is highly likely. “I don’t know how great detectives think but the only people I could’ve been link with at some point would be that drunk driver and Shindong.”

Jinki silently nods affirmatively.

“And don’t these sorts of things happen naturally?” Junhong adds on. Jinki gives Youngjae a look.

Youngjae silently studies Junhong, look for any tell tale signs of lying but saw nothing suspicious, whether the kid was telling the truth or he was hell of a liar, Youngjae doesn’t know and because his gut feeling tells him to keep a wary eye at Junhong so he’ll do just that. Finally after five minutes Youngjae laid back on his seat and he couldn’t help but notice, even though it was only for a split second that the two people with him relaxed a little. Youngjae knew Jinki would instinctively relax when he stops being curious but then could there be another reason now especially that coincidentally both of them have.

 

“Well, I really appreciate you guys treating me again,” Junhong says and Youngjae knows this was goodbye.

As soon as their hands touch for the hand shake Youngjae warns him. “You’re friends with Senator Kim’s son, right?” he says all enigmatic again and Junhong realized why Jinki would be drained with this sort of person. Junhong bobbed his head, unsure of where this was going. “Then you better be careful.”

“What?” Junhong was surprised, how did this guy know? Was he really Cain?

“Chief says it’s just protocol and that the Senator’s just a tad bit suspicious, with how people are dying weekly but I don’t think so,” Youngjae explains and how he does it with cold vigor reflecting in those eyes scared Junhong. “I think the Senator has some sense to be more cautious and not just because he’ll be holding a big gathering this week, because whatever people say, I do believe there’s a pattern here. A person dying weekly is peculiar enough. People dying weekly on the same day, now isn’t that scary?”

“W-well, yeah, you’ve got a point,” Junhong says, cautious of his words and actions. “But what does that got to do with Jongin?” he asks again. Is Detective Youngjae Cain or isn’t he?

 

 

 

*~*~*

 

Junhong and Jongup went to Jongin’s place together, because Jongup was so adamant about it.

“You know Jongup, I’m supposed to be younger but you act like the brat,” Junhong states as they walk side by side up the hill. Jongup nudges him hard by the side. Junhong grimaces, he forgot that Jongup was a gold medalist in Taekwondo.

“Only by a couple of months dufus,” muttered Jongup.

“And who was it that told me that he’s going to tell me anything huh,” Jongup counters a question.

“Is this what all the sulking is all about?” Junhong asked, perplexed.

Jongup glares at him. “Junhong, you’re playing a dangerous game, you promised you’d tell me everything else I’ll constantly worry not like I don’t. Because you promised I’m trying to restrain myself because you’re going to get mad at me for nagging but you’re keeping a tight lip about things.”

“Jongup, I know, I’m sorry. But I don’t want you getting involved—”

“I thought we were, in some way, in this together? Between the both of us, no offense, but intellectually and physically speaking I’m the better one and I care about you so why can’t you trust me?”

“I do trust you,” Junhong argues weakly. Jongup scowls at him.

 

Junhong knows how tenacious Jongup could be and sometimes he can’t help but marvel at how the other could flawlessly use both reasoning and whining or nagging interchangeably and reasonably convincing. Junhong sighs in defeat. “Fine,” he mumbles. “But promise me you won’t breathe on my neck, you won’t panic, and you’d be as logical as you are,” he bargains. Jongup’s mood was immediately uplifted and his pout was changed into a victorious smile. Junhong grabs a hand and drags Jongup along while he fills him up with what he and the other two players had brainstormed.

 

 

*~*~*

 

4/23/13: 8:04 pm: Status

Card chosen: Citizen

Player: A.101

 

Update: Killer has chosen a victim

From the Admin: As suggested by the Killer, a clue can be given. And as a reminder, you can defend yourself in any way possible. Lastly, there has been a proposition to give ‘Chance’ to those who think they are the targeted citizen. For further information please visit the Thread. Thank you. Good luck and stay alive.

 

 

 

4/23/13: 8:10 pm: Status

Card chosen: Citizen

Player: Choding

 

Update one: Clue: This Citizen loves to party, people adore this Citizen as well.

Update two: Killer’s message:                          

“Now I wonder how many of you actually qualify the description enough to tremble in fear. Anyway, I hope you’d put up more of a fight that the previous ones.”

 

 

Kim Myungsoo shrugged off sleep from his eyes, yawning widely hoping it would effectively lift off both sleep and laziness. He checked his phone automatically, to see the time but instead his eyes immediately read the messages displayed. He groaned softly as he tilts his neck to one side, leaving it at that position for a bit more time, to stretch as what little amount of memory he has of that little amount of time he spent in the gym.

 

It was nine in the evening he had exactly eleven hours before deadline. Although he was good with handling technology, he was amazing at creating codes he was a slacker and his mind can be a bit disorganized let alone easily distracted. Just as how easily distracted he was from his first priority – finishing the project that would determine if where he’ll stand the next school year. As Myungsoo read the rest of the messages he turned his laptop on and started opening the game’s site then typed:

 

Is it possible to know what the standings are already? If so, please post it in a thread or message us. Thanks.

 

 

 

Kim Myungsoo, second year university student taking up Information Technology. He didn’t like going out especially if it’s too hot outside because he was going to burn, he also didn’t fancy going out at night because you don’t know what is outside waiting to ambush you. He didn’t like spending much as well. He dreamed of getting rich, who hasn’t after all? And with the recent clue, he knows he wasn’t going to die this week but it wasn’t he wasn’t worried for what would happen next week. He stares at the screen for five minutes before leisurely opening a document and had finally begun with his project.

 

If I survive until the end if that is even possible, would they really give me 1 million won? If I capture the Killer instead would I receive a bigger reward?

 

These thoughts run through his mind as he stares yet again at the screen waiting for the coffee he just brewed to be finish. “Then… should I kill the Killer instead?” he mutters as he absentmindedly nips at his thumb as what was his mannerism when he was deep in thought and anxious. But the killer, Cain, is still a mystery in itself.

 

 


 

a/n: idk if adding this would lose the feel of this fic. anyway, thank you to everyone who have come to support. *humbly bows* and i would take this opportunity to apologize to those who have subscribed to my other fics that have been put on hold because i didn't know it was this difficult to write in this sort of genre. i hope you are enjoying the story so far as i have enjoyed writing it.