My Best Friend, the Doctor

Cop vs. Criminal
Lee Eunji

Recovering from my unconscious state, I found the one and only Kwon JiYong asleep at my bedside. I smiled as I ran my hand through his hair, playing with it. It was always a different color; the last week, it was red. I've grown fond of that color, I thought the bright, fiery shade made him look unbelievably irresistible. He looks incredibly innocent with this black hair, but we all know he's not. If I had to sum JiYong up in three words, they'd be sweet, loyal, and player.

JiYong has been my best friend since I can remember. I normally don't trust a soul, but he's the exception. I met him when I was on the streets, fighting to survive just another day. He was one of the other guys I fought. Needless to say, I kicked his effortlessly. We went from enemies to friends, always telling each other of our dreams. His dad was a deadbeat who gambled away all of the money that his mom made from her three jobs. The got a lucky break and won the jackpot. The next day, his old man packed up and left with some he met at the casino. JiYong and his mom were supposed to start over, but his mom fell ill from working too hard. She died few months later, leaving JiYong when he was just ten. Since the both of us had no one, we made a deal that we'll always have each other's back. And we did. It's been ten years since then. Now he's a doctor and I'm a thief. Aren't we an interesting pair?

I didn't know what time it was, or how long I've been drugged up. I just knew it was day, morning most likely. JiYong groaned when the sunlight glared brightly in his face. "Good morning, handsome. Did you sleep well?" I grinned, though still in pain.

"Definitely." He answered sarcastically. "I see you like my hair, I felt you running your hand through it." JiYong smiled slyly at me. "How are you feeling?" He laid a gentle hand on my forehead, checking for a fever.

"Oh, you know. Asides from getting shot at, never better." I winked playfully, but he was stern.

"Eunji, I don't want you to do this anymore." Cupping my face in his hands, he looked me straight in the eyes, that same worried look etched on his face. "Half of the time you come to see me, you're either bruised or bleeding. I can't see you get hurt anymore, please. Just stop."

"I don't know what you're talking about." But I knew exactly what he meant, and he's right. He's had to patched me up more times than I can remember. I'm not sloppy, careless, or stupid. But sometimes, mistakes are made, or things are changed. Sometimes, I get the guard shifts wrong. I'm never caught, though, just get hurt from last minute hiding. Yesterday was the first time I fell for a trap. JiYong stood up. Frustrated, he walked away from me and over the the closet, leaning against it. I recognized his every habit. Every time someone pisses him off, he runs his hand through his hair. With me, he backs up and tries to control his rage.

"YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! THIS ROBIN HOOD BULL ! JUST END IT NOW." JiYong slammed his hand against the door, making me jump.

"You know I can't do that, Ji."

"WHY THE HELL NOT?!"

"Why are you yelling?" Breathing deeply, JiYong closed his eyes. Then he exhaled, a bit more relaxed.

"Look, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I got angry with you. It's just- I'm just a little-" he sighed and stopped trying to explain. Instead, he came back to my bedside and sat down.

"I'll tell you what, I promise I'll be careful." He opened his mouth to object to my continuation of this job but I cut him short. "I'll be even more careful, more careful than I've ever been. I'll even stop for a couple of months, okay? Just to get better and get the cops off my back. But afterwards, once everything's settled down, I have to go back." Sighing deeply, Ji stood from the bed and walked towards the door.

"There's no point in arguing with you, I never win anyway." Feeling bad, I looked down at my hand as I twiddled my thumbs. That is, until my stomach groaned from hunger, making him chuckle. "Well, I can't stop you from this suicide job, I should at least be able to keep you from dying of starvation. What do you want me to make you, Eunji?" I cocked my head to one side, contemplating. Sheepishly, I grinned and answered.

"Sushi."

"Aish, this girl." Lifting his hand, he imitated a hitting motion. "You always pick things that take the most effort to make. Besides, you're hurt. I don't want to feed you raw fish." I pouted with disappointment. "But I will make you spam masubi." With a spoiled childlike joy, I cheekily beamed at him.

"Gomawo, Kwon JiYong."

"You're welcome, Lee Eunji."