Chapter 7

Walls of the Heart

Chapter 7

Our little bickering has yet to stop even when we arrive at the restaurant. My parents have already reached some time before us.

“Mum! Dad!” I grin loudly as we approach the table.

“Good evening aunty, uncle,” Sanghyun greets them as well.

I quickly take my seat while the waiter passes the menu over. “What’s the special occasion? You even left work early to have dinner with us.”

“You’ve forgotten? It’s Sanghyun’s birthday today.” My mum announces with a disapproving look. “How could you forget, Jieun?”

My eyes grow larger in size as I look in Sanghyun’s direction. “Yah! Why didn’t you tell me?”

Sanghyun however does not reply me. Instead, he rolls his eyes at me and faces my parents, “thank you.”

“It’s nothing, besides we promised Yongjo and Myungsun that we’d take care of you.” My dad replies, “order whatever you want, birthday boy.”

“Dad, what about me?” I whine with begging eyes.

“You should stop bullying Sanghyun and start treating him nicely! You grew up together with him and yet you had forgotten about his birthday.” Dad states a little bleakly in which I respond with a pout.

Sanghyun seems to take advantage of the situation and sticks his tongue out at me. Clenching a fist at him I mouth out these words provokingly, just you wait.

Even when I reach home, the guilt continues to tug in my heart. It really isn’t my intention to forget Sanghyun’s birthday. In fact, this is my first time forgetting about it. Eyeing the calendar I have in front of me, I bit down my bottom lip lightly. The circle that I drew in red ink is visible. So how is it possible that I miss out this important date?

Half past ten – I check the time. There’s still time. As if a light bulb pops up within my head, I take out a piece of paper in rapid speed and scribble the word ‘wish’, following by ‘one time use’ within the brackets. I then headed out of the house, to the next door with the speed of wind.

Sanghyun stares at me in utter surprise when he opens the door. “Yah, Lee Jieun, what are you doing here?”

Without answering his question, I slam the piece of paper on his chest. “Take this.”

“What is this?” he takes the paper and examines it.

“Happy birthday,” I say it quickly, “I didn’t mean to forget your birthday, sorry.”

And for the first time today, I see his lively smile shining at me. “You know that word?”

Getting what he’s implying, I retort by hanging my fist up, “Yah.”

“Wish?” he reads off the paper. “Why only one? Aren’t you being a little too stingy?”

“I’m kind enough to even give you this last minute birthday present, don’t be too much.”

“Alright, alright!” He raises his hands, making the surrender pose. “I’ll make full use of this when the time comes.”

He shoots me a wink and hangs a smirk on his face.

I know what he’s thinking but wanting to spare the birthday boy from another harsh comment, I simply shrug and wave goodbye.

“Jieun!” he suddenly calls out. “I’ve got something to ask you.”

I turn my head back and stand at the spot.

“Who’s that guy today?”

I blink my eyes as my brows rise higher. “Just a friend. Why?”

A small smile takes over the worried face instantly. “Nothing,” He brushes it off quickly. “Goodnight, see you tomorrow.” He then shuts the door immediately and I become annoyed again – annoyed that he doesn’t answer my question, just like him.

It’s amazing that how Sanghyun’s words last night could remind me of Wooyoung. How the latter doesn’t properly answer my questions, how the latter could smile so brightly at the koi pond and how the latter could be found seemingly jealous.

The entire thing becomes even more suspicious when I met Wooyoung at the long route to school. Somewhere he hasn’t appeared for months.

“Why are you here?” I pop out the question immediately when I spot him standing beside one of the trees.

“Why can’t I be here?”

There he goes again. I crinkle my nose in displeasure. Somehow, I form distaste to how my questions are not properly answered. And he seems to be the source of it.

I walk past him on purpose but he stops me by chasing after me.

“What are you doing now?” I state harshly.

“Can’t you tell?”

“You’re pissing me off! Can’t you just give a decent respond to my questions?” I speak so loudly this time that the forest echoed my voice out.

He drops his arms and answers. “I’m waiting for you.”

Silence then filled up the spaces after his reply. I am astonished and I am overthrown. For I did not expect him to obey my words. He is Jang Wooyoung. Even though we are friends, he still isn’t someone who would follow what others’ say. Yet this time, he did something out of his norm.

“I was waiting for you.” He states again, however this time, he turns his back around and starts walking away, walking away from me.

Something tugs the strings of my heart the moment he turns around and my reflexes act out own its accord. I run up to him and hold onto his wrist, stopping him in his steps and then turn him around. “Why?” I question out.

I didn’t know what that question is supposed to mean. ‘Why’ is he waiting for me, or ‘why’ is he acting like this or perhaps ‘why’ is he treating me like we are more than what we are supposed to be. I don’t know. I really don’t know.

“Because…” he avoids my eyes, “you are my friend.”

Then I feel something clashes. Something within me clashes and it is unbearable.

Jieun, what are you expecting. What are you expecting exactly?

 


Ѽ:
Just in case you haven't notice, Sanghyun is Thunder from MBLAQ.