Chapter 10

Walls of the Heart

Chapter 10

 

I stood dumbfounded.

 

The man standing in front of me has already become too difficult for me to recognize. Is he really the Sanghyun that grew up with me?

 

“Jieun… Grant my wish.” He wore a pleading look while raising his hand with the opened note, waiting for me to receive.

 

“Sanghyun ah…” I try to breathe normally but somehow it felt difficult. “What does this means?”

 

He bit on his lower lip, “Do I really need to repeat my words?” For a moment, I thought I was going to die due to shortness of breath as he took my hands and forced the note into my palm, not letting go.

 

His gaze changed almost immediately as he pulled me into his arms. “Jieun, I have been sending you tons of hints,” he hugged tighter, “will you just get it already?”

 

I opened my mouth, not able to say a single word.

 

“Even if it’s going to take everything I’ve got to protect you, I will.” Leaving me wordless, he planted a kiss on my forehead before turning to leave. Whatever happen has happened too quickly for me to even react. I was left even more confused. Just what exactly was going on?

 

 

 

 

Couldn’t get to sleep the whole night, I got up much earlier than usual and started my journey to school.

 

I opened the crumpled note in my hand that says “Wish. One time use” and took in a deep breath before letting it go so helplessly.

 

“Why?” I shook my head. “No, no…”

 

“When?” I squint my eyes hard. Scratch that! “How?”

 

I continued my train of thoughts while touching my forehead. “Sanghyun that brat… Likes me?!” I shivered upon the thought. I never thought that this will happen to us… The way we behaved with each other the entire time. It just doesn’t make sense!

 

“But really, why?” I blurt out the thoughts running in my head until I heard someone clearing his throat. As it was only 0615, the sky remained dark. “Who’s that?” my voice betrayed how I wanted to sound fearless.

 

“Didn’t know that our Jieun is so popular.” The voice echoed as the sound of footsteps got louder. “He finally confessed to you?”

 

An awkward smile broke through the moment face lit up in front of me. Silly me, I must be too deep in thoughts to even recognize his voice.

 

“You’re so early?” I crumpled the note back into my tiny palm, “Ahnyeong, Woohyun.”

 

“So how did you reply?” his voice got serious. “Is that a love letter you’re hiding?”

 

“It isn’t… it isn’t…” again, I forced out a smile. “Have you had your breakfast?”

 

He remained silent. I stared into his eyes only to discover a familiar sight, it’s the same look I got happy about.

 

“You’re really a very jealous friend”, I said cheekily while continued walking.

 

He continued to stand at the same spot, not moving. Realizing something was wrong, I went back to him and poke his shoulder. “Hello, you still there?”

 

What happened afterwards was abrupt. He held onto my hand and placed it on his left chest. To my surprise, his chest actually felt very sturdy for someone who doesn’t play sports. “What will you do if I too confessed my love for you?”

 

The butterflies in my stomach fluttered. My tiny heart pounded so loud that I was so afraid that he will be able to feel the ‘thumping’ rhythm coming from my wrist and palm. My eyes sparked, “will you?”

 

I was praying for this to happen. Deep down, I know he and I felt the exact same thing for each other. It’s just that no one is willing to bring down our pride to express our love first.

 

The grip on my hand started to loosen, the strong willed eyes he had started to falter. The walls that he had, I thought was already breaking through. The sunlight that once shone on me, started to become dim. Cracks healing through the wall caused me to waver. I slowly uttered, “you already know the answer right?”

 

“Why are you so unconfident?”

 

He kept quiet.

 

“What are you so unsure of?” he remained solemn.

 

I could feel my heart tearing apart. As prideful as I am, I’ve already lowered myself. Why can’t he just come to me? “For–“

 

“You wouldn’t want to be with someone like me” he intervened.

 

“What do you mean , Woohyun?” my tone sounded frustrated. “Those rumors about you in school, are you referring to those?”

 

I stared at him, waiting to receive the same gaze I had for him. “Should you at least explain so I can understand what is going on with you? Stop making me guess!”

 

Finally, he looked back at me, but with something different. It’s the gaze he had before, that same gaze he had when I first saw him. That gaze that caught me. The gaze that tells how unconfident, how insecure, how uncertain he is. “You shouldn’t be with someone like me.”

 

The footsteps he took came ranging in my ears as his figure became smaller and smaller and slowly out of sight. What is wrong with this dude? A tear slipped out. I know the feeling is mutual but why isn’t he trying to do anything to catch me? Just being here early, waiting for me, holding me, being jealous. Weren’t his signs obvious? Or perhaps, I was not worthy enough for him to even try...