Three

Just the Way You Are (Beautiful You)

--~*+*~-:- Three -:-~*+*~--

 

It had been four weeks since that afternoon that had effectively put an abrupt end to her friendship with Yunho. In fact, she hadn’t dared venturing back to the river bank since then, fearing an encounter with him. Soojin hadn’t stopped her subtle inquiries that hoped to discover the reason why her dongsaeng had comeback crying after a visit to the place that had always brought her happiness, and why she’d stopped going back there after that day when it was practically her sanctuary. But she kept mum, keeping to the backyard, and continuing her English lessons.

 

Her parents had remained cautiously hopeful that her and Kris would develop romantic feelings for each other that would perhaps result in a marriage. It was a rarity that her suitor’s parents accepted her blindness, but the Wu family had always been accepting and didn’t seem at all opposed to their son possibly dating her.

 

As for the two of them… well, Kris was a hopeless introvert, handsome but unbearably antisocial which made it hard for him to approach a girl or have the girls approach him. In her case, it was rather complicated since a small part was holding out on the hope that she’d been wrong about Yunho and he’d reappear in her life somehow, while the stubborn and proud part of her pushed to forget him and concentrate on cultivate some sort of romantic relationship with Kris.

 

“You don’t go the river anymore,” Kris’ deep voice, breaking the calm silence that had settled between them. Sooyoung could smell her sister all over that inquiry, since her friend preferred to not invaded someone’s privacy.

 

She sighed, “I prefer staying closer to the house. The cold is coming in and I don’t want to risk catching a cold.” That was a pathetic excuse but it was all she had. His eyes were burning into her, obviously hearing the falseness in her statement. How could she forget she was talking to the walking lie-detector.

 

She’d hoped he’d let it go and let the silence reign, but he surprised her by occupying the space beside her on the hammock, making it swing lazily beneath her. “I know about him, you know,” he confessed, his voice low as if fearing someone would hear them.

 

“Know about who?” Feigning ignorance, especially with Kris, wasn’t exactly her strong suit, but she’d be damned if she gave in too early.

 

“The one you see when you go to the river,” he confirmed her suspicions that he knew about Yunho, but she kept quiet waiting for more information before divulging anything. “Is he the reason you stopped going back? Did he hurt you?–”

 

“What? No, he didn’t hurt me,” quick to defend and protect Yunho’s integrity. Yes, she had accused him of attempting what Kris was insinuating, but in all honesty –deep in her heart –she knew he would never hurt her in such a way no matter what she thought of him. He’d always been gentle and respectable, keeping his distance and rarely touching her in anyway. He’d been right, she was a scared fool; scared to accept someone finding her desirable and a fool for using her blindness as an excuse not to give them a chance. “It’s just… it’s just complicated, I guess.”

 

Kris reminded silent for a long moment, before he spoke again. “Why?” his question was simple but, she couldn’t begin to explain what happened, especially to someone who may or may not like her in more than just a platonic way. “You can tell me you know. I just want to see you happy again,” his words sincere, as she felt his hand land close to where hers lay but not daring to touch her.

 

“I accused him of something, that after some deep thought, I now know was absurd,” She revealed, still keeping her answer rather vague. “And now I’m slightly afraid and embarrassed to see him again, because I was stupid. I’m not sure he’d even want to see me if I did go back.” She wasn’t going to cry because she didn’t deserve it.

 

“How will you know, if you don’t try?” Kris reasoned. “I know our parents were hoping for us to be more, and some part of me wants that too since I tend to be less awkward and uncomfortable around you, but if there’s someone out there that makes you feel more than I do –you’ll be a fool if you just give up.” He wasn’t one for long speech, usually keeping his response to a word or five and it probably took him way out of his comfort zone to say those words to her.

 

--~*+*~-:- o -:-~*+*~--

 

“Omma’s getting frustrated by your stubbornness,” Jaejoong told him something Yunho already knew, in fact he was hoping for it. It was a usual occurrence for him to give into them, in to her especially, but on this he wouldn’t budge.

 

After the unfortunate aftermath of his confession, he’d come home only to have his mother try to shoved the idea of him and Narae down his throat. He’d allowed her to do it for a whole fifteen minutes, before frankly and firmly telling her that Narae and he would never happen as long as Sooyoung remained in his heart.

 

Even though they had never exchanged last names, preferring to keep the subtle anonymity of first names as an underlying dynamic to their interaction, his mother seemed to know much more. According to her the day she accepted Choi Sooyoung into her family as a daughter-in-law, would be the day the sky turned green. The reason as to why she refused to accept her was of course down to her blindness, which was rather vain on his mother’s part.

 

All that boiled down to a stalemate between his mother and himself, his father long giving into the idea because even though she was blind, she still offered a good societal match for his second oldest son. It was an unfortunately cold reason for him to accept his son’s choice, but what mattered was that he’d accepted.

 

“She must be something special if you’re risking Omma’s wrath like this,” the maknae of the family, Changmin, chimed in following the eldest’s lead to address the subject.

 

Yunho smiled nostalgically remember the brunette that made him feel calm, yet had the ability to make his pulse race and heart beat faster. “She is,” he confirmed, because to him she was truly something special.

 

“Yet you’re here having a stand-off with Omma instead of being with her,” Yoochun chimed in, obviously wondering why his older brother was waging war with their mother in hopes she would accept his choice instead of spending time with Sooyoung.

 

His fairly decent mood darkened at that, because even if he wanted to see her she wouldn’t want to see him. He’d gone to the river almost every afternoon, hoping to catch even just a glimpse of her but following his confession, she hadn’t returned to the river obviously intent on avoiding him. At first he’d thought of going to their estate to personally talk to her and convince her of his sincerity and feelings, but then he didn’t want to do it while his parents were so vehemently against it and likely to insult her should he bring her around to meet them. “When I see her, I want it to be with nothing standing in our way.”

 

“Also known as Omma’s stringent disapproval,” Changmin voiced, understanding his brother’s reasoning. Though they were the most different in personality, the maknae had always been the one to understand him on levels the other three couldn’t, “daring, taking her on like that.”

 

“Yunho-ssi, you’re mother wishes to speak with you,” Mrs. Chang, the head house keeper, announced, having entered the boys exclusive den while the five boys were in discussion. Even though he was hopeful that his mother gave in, he wouldn’t hold his breath until she actually came to his way of reasoning.

 

Taking a breath, Yunho put his game face on as he approached his mother, ready for anything she threw at him. “Have you decided to give up your fool’s errand, and accept Narae?” his mother got right to it like she always did, not seeing a reason to go around the point.

 

“Sooyoung isn’t a fool’s errand, she’s who I want and even if you disapprove, she will remain the one I want,” he answered, firm in his conviction like never before. “I’ve given in to you and Appa on so many other things, but not this –never this.” It seemed to be the wrong thing to say, because his mother’s delicate hand clenched in obvious frustration at her son continued stubbornness.

 

But despite it, she spoke with a calm and level tone not portraying her anger. “Why do you insist on that wretched girl? She doesn’t have anything to offer you.”

 

“You’re wrong, Omma. Sooyoung has everything to offer me that Na Rae doesn’t,” he insisted not backing down because the brunette in question was just too important to lose. “I know the only reason you disapprove of her is because she’s blind, otherwise you would have approved of her the moment I’d mentioned her. If you knew her beyond the fact that she cannot see, you’d understand why she’s special.”

 

She closed her eyes, “I only want what’s best for you, why can’t you see that?” she inquired, finally looking at him, her eyes imploring him to understand her.

 

“She’s the best for me, why can’t you see that?” He spoke again, his tone much softer and affectionate hoping it would soften her stance by extension. “I tried with Narae, Omma, I really did but it’s just not there. Please, just meet her and I assure you, that you’ll like her as much as I do –if not more.” Crouching down, and tenderly taking her hands in his.

 

She looked surprised at his dedication, “I’ve never seen you like this, about anyone before,” she confessed retrieving one of her hands to caress his face affectionately.

 

“Because, I’ve never felt like this about anyone before,” Yunho confessed something he hadn’t even told his brothers. What he felt and what Sooyoung made him feel was above and beyond anything he’d experienced with any of the other girls he’d ever been.

 

--~*+*~-:- o -:-~*+*~--

 

Kris’ words rang through her mind long after he’d left.

 

She’d shut down any thoughts and feelings that pertained to any romantic notions she had for Yunho. It was hard to even fathom that the man could fall for her, let alone look at her in any special way. In her mind she was his special blind friend, who he talked to whenever he happened upon her on his rides past the river. She’d even managed to suppressed any wondering thoughts about how her heart beat faster when he was too closer to her, or how she loved hearing his laugh and how, despite not knowing him long, he always managed to make her feel safe and accepted just the way she was –made her feel special.

 

But it was too late to even entertain the idea of them, since she’d chosen to hide herself away. Besides, he’d probably tire of her sooner or later. Hadn’t he promised he’d not give up until he proved to her that she’d been wrong? Yet he hadn’t shown up. Then again, what did he need to prove to her anyway, there was nothing extra ordinarily special about her to make him want to work for her affections. Just thinking about it made her feel unbearably stupid, and she hated being an idiot.

 

Kris had told her that he’d give her time to see if she could mend things with Yunho, if not, then he would return to her and they would try again. Why he even saw something special in her, she didn’t know. But, because he was willing to try and he did make her feel content on some level, she would wait things out and when he returned, she would dedicate her affection to him alone.

 

“Youngie,” Soojin called into the still night, breaking through her thoughts. “You have a guest?” Her sister’s voice sounded rather odd, almost unsure making her wonder.

 

It was worrying, making her carefully get on her feet to face the direction her sister’s voice had come from. “Who is it, Unnie?”

 

“It’s me, Sooyoung-ssi. I was hoping we could talk?” Came a voice she thought she wouldn’t hear again after their unfortunately bad parting at the river. What was more telling, was how breathless his mere voice and presence made her, not to mention how her heart skipped a beat.

 

Swallowing hard, she regained her waning composure. “Yunho-ssi,” was the only thing she could manage, her tone breathless despite trying to control it. Damn it, hadn’t she promised herself she’d forget him just minutes ago?

 

“I’m taking that as a yes,” he informed her, “Soojin-ssi, would you mind if I spoke to her alone?” he spoke to her sister, who she’d forgotten was there since he’d spoken and the older woman had remained silent. If she had to guess her sister was stunned that someone she didn’t know to be any association of her dongsaeng, would come to their house and ask to speak to her at night nonetheless. It wasn’t too deep in the night she guessed, because the breeze wasn’t that strong and it wasn’t as cold as it would be at the dead of the night. “Kamsahabnida,” his thank you, bringing her back to the present as she heard her sister’s footfalls disappeared into the house once again, leaving them alone.

 

Usually she wasn’t nervous around him, or awkward. But, after his confession and her realization of her feelings, she felt unsure and he hadn’t even spoken yet, “What are you doing here?” she asked, her voice soft.

 

“To prove to the girl I like that my intentions are pure and sincere, and not what she’d imagined they were the last time we met,” he told her without skipping a beat, his tone deadly serious. “I did tell you I was going to prove you wrong right?”

 

The defensive part of her was skeptical to believe his blunt words but, the hopeful part was doing a whole song and dance in celebration. “You’re stubborn,” she couldn’t help voice in disbelief.

 

“And crazy about you; tell me something I don’t know,” he returned, in his renewed bluntness that had her gaping. Did he really just say he was crazy about her? Surely, he’d lost his mind. “Shall we sit down, because if  you are half as stubborn as me, this is bound to take a while.”

 

She found herself dropping into the seat, heavily completely in awe and confused about what was going on.

 

--~*+*~-:- o -:-~*+*~--

 

“I know the way I told you was wrong and abrupt, which probably startled and made you doubt my intentions. So for that I’m sorry,” he began, when she seemed to regain her composure. On his way to her family home, after receiving his mother’s reluctant approval, he established that he wasn’t going to give up until she understood his feelings and accepted him. “The truth is that I’ve been keeping my attraction to you hidden because I didn’t want to scare you away, and lose even the friendship we’d established.”

 

Sooyoung was nervous once again, because all this was too perfect to be true. Her hand unconsciously fidgeted with the hem of her skirt, as she managed to find the words to speak. “But, why?” she asked, it was vague, but she didn’t know how to pose it any other way.

 

“Why what?” he asked confused to what she was trying to ask him.

 

Sooyoung sighed, “Why me. There probably other girls out there who are more… suited for you. I just want to understand why, it’s me you like and not Narae?” Pretending she wasn’t blind was stupid, because she was and also she was carrying a gene that could possibly pass it on to her children should he have any. Did he still want her?

 

“Define suited, because to me there is no-one more suitable,” He assured already knowing where she was going with the argument. Was she so jaded that she thought she wasn’t worthy of affection and love. Ordinarily he’d tell her to look in the mirror and see what he saw, as he told her exactly what non-vain qualities he like about her. She couldn’t see, and it still didn’t change the way he saw her nor the way she made him feel since the first time he’d seen her.

 

She sighed in frustration, “Yunho, I’m blind, not through an accident –”

 

“So?” it was blunt and he knew it, but she was being ridiculous. He’d sat there and heard how her blindness came to be, even researched her condition because he’d wanted to know more about it and her. He was well aware, should they ever get that far, that if they had children there was a possibility that they would be blind. But none of that changed the way he felt about her or made him want her less. He wasn’t a hopeless romantic clouded by flowery notions of love, he was well aware that being with her would be much different and sometimes difficult, but he wanted this, her, all the same.

 

She chuckled humorlessly, “Are you even trying to listen to me, or is everything I’m saying just flying past your head?” He was frustrating. Here she was giving him every chance to back out before she did something stupid and actually gave into him, and he was still being the determined fool.

 

“All I’m hearing is your attempts to talk me out of falling in love with you, not something I haven’t considered before coming here,” he humored her, taking her hands in his and laying soft kisses on her palms that caused a pretty blush to rise on her cheeks. “You’re blind, but your also blunt, funny, witty, intelligent, warm, gentle, strong, resilient, brave and absolutely gorgeous. What more could a guy want in a woman?”

 

Did he have to do that? Distract her with kisses, heart fluttering words and blush inducing adjectives, so she couldn’t think of ways to talk him out of his craziness. “You are annoying convincing,” she informed him with a watery laugh, unable to resist him.

 

“You are annoying stubborn, so we are a match made in heaven,” he replied with a laugh of his own, wiping away the tears that manage to escape her eyes. “Now, will you let me love you already?”

 

She smiled, “I thought the ‘annoyingly convincing’ part was enough of an answer.”

 

--~*+*~-:- End -:-~*+*~--

A/N: Sorry for any errors, will review in a while. Happy New Year!