One

Just the Way You Are (Beautiful You)

--~*+*~-:- One -:-~*+*~--

 

It was probably creepy and rather wrong for him to do, but Yunho could help watch her since the first day he’d happened upon her while on a ride on his horse. The summer had set in hitting the land with stifling heat, but on that particular day they had been blessed with the cool splashes of summer rain that fell despite the sun being high in the sky, promise of a rainbow being highly likely. He had dismounted from his horse intending to take a rest in the rain, when he’d seen her. A tall and slender girl, with dark hair that stuck close to her head in wet tendril due to the rain, and in a thin summer dress that stuck to her skin drenched from the rain. There was just something fascinating and mesmerizing watching her as danced in the rain, not at all bothered by the material sticking to her legs. Her lines and extensions impossibly graceful highlighted by her long limbs and lean frame, but what perhaps was most captivating of it all was the gentle, serene and content smile that pulled at her lips as she moved. There had just been something other worldly, and ethereal about her that stuck in his mind long after he’d left her presence and headed back home.

 

Even though she was just sitting in the grass enjoying the afternoon sun this time, she was still entrancing to him and he just couldn’t put a finger as to why that was. True he’d seen women of incredible beauty that surpassed her own, but none of them had been able to ensnare and capture his mind the way she had, without even uttering a word to him or knowing her name. But, that wasn’t to say she wasn’t beautiful, because she was absolutely stunning in her uniqueness; luxurious tan skin, feather-like lashes, thick luscious hair and big brown eyes –overall foreign. Even that however wasn’t it that had him comeback to see if he could find her again, it was the contentment she seemed to have as she simply enjoyed nature. Just watching her brought him calm and peacefulness that he seemed to not be able to find anywhere else. 

 

“Since you haven’t attacked me yet, should I assume you come in peace?” Her sudden query startling him slightly from his entranced state. But even if she’d acknowledged him, her eyes remained fixed on the landscape before her, not sparing him a look. She simply continued to pet her dog that lay it head lazily on her lap. “I know you are there, so why don’t we make this official and introduce ourselves?” She added when he remained silent for too long, unable to find the right words to excuse his invasion of privacy.

 

Normally girls would be apprehensive of a strange man watching them, but his unnamed beauty remained calm and undisturbed by his presence not at all scared of him. “Yunho,” he stated, after clearing his throat feeling rather ashamed for his actions despite her acceptance.

 

“So, Yunho-ssi, why were you watching me?” She asked bluntly, but not as harsh as the statement required, simply curious.

 

He had the decency to look sheepish, scratching his head searching for an appropriate answer. It would be plain ridiculous, not to mention creepy if he told her that he found her fascinating and he liked to watch her because her private happiness seemed to bring him an usual sense of calm. “I wasn’t –”

 

“You stood there watching me for over 15 minutes either you were spying or daydreaming,” she challenged easily, “and we both know it wasn’t the latter, was it?” Her smile holding a cheeky quirk –she was putting him on the spot.

 

He’d imagined her to be many things, but never had he anticipated her bluntness or cheekiness. She didn’t seem to be all that delicate and light that her overall demeanor expressed, but it made her more intriguing rather than turning off the magnetism she had over him. It made her more real. “I find you interesting,” he finally blurted out lamely despite careful moments of consideration. Even after he said it, he failed to understand how such a statement could slip from his usually careful mouth.

 

She surprised him again by laughing, “You must have not met many blind people if you find me fascinating,” her words slipping through in a carefree tone, despite the heavy revelation. Call him oblivious or unobservant, but he hadn’t noticed. Not the first time he’d seen her, nor this time. “Don’t get uncomfortable on my account, Yunho-ssi. I’m used to it by now.”

 

“I didn’t know,” he sort to assure her of his innocence. There was nothing wrong with her not being able to see; it didn’t make him see her in a lesser light. He’d been intrigued, but not for such a superficial and discriminating reason such as that, “but that wasn’t why, I was watching you.” And now that she’d put it out there, he could definitely see the slightly unfocused nature of her eyes –like she was looking at landscape in front of her but not really seeing it, but despite it they were lovely eyes. “I haven’t gotten your name,” he bought himself some time, remembering that he had indeed introduced himself to her, but hadn’t been afforded the same courtesy –whether intentional or otherwise he didn’t know.

 

She turned to the direction his voice was coming from, “I’m Sooyoung.” Perhaps it had just slipped her mind and wasn’t intentional as he’d speculated. He found himself walking toward her even if he was uninvited, his curiosity and daring winning over his decency. The dog lying by her side, raised it head to asses him for danger but deemed him harmless and returned its head back to her comfortable lap.

 

“Summer seems to like you,” she chuckled, as her hand fumbled around before finding he dogs head once again and petting her lovingly. Judging from the name he assumed that the dog was female. “She rarely likes strangers.”

 

Keeping enough distance between them to not scare her, or agitate the dog he crouched down smiling warmly at the dog that was beyond content by her owner’s attention. “If not my blindness, what other reason would have you finding me so fascinating?” She was curious, continuing the conversation that was interrupted by his divergent query. He wasn’t surprised that she wasn’t one to be deterred.

 

“Your serenity,” he confessed, tracing her facial features greedily like she would dissolve within seconds. She didn’t have typical Korean features if he was honest, but everything just fit together so well giving her an atypical type of beauty. “You seem undisturbed, relaxed and happy. It seems to bring me calm –watching you. I wish I could feel the same.”

 

Sooyoung smiled, “Well, I’ve never been told that before,” her smile grew even brighter as the furrow between her eyebrows completely diminished. “Problems can only be solved if you voice them out. I’m not a psychologist, but I can definitely listen –that is, if you wish to share it with me.”

 

“I’m not sure you’d want to listen to me whine your ear off about nothing, Sooyoung-ssi,” he wanted to keep his interaction with her pure and unchanged but his troubles, wanted to keep her as his place of solace and peace.

 

She turned her attention back to the view before her, even though she couldn’t see it. “I don’t mind, but if you do –it okay too.”

 

“I’d much rather just enjoy your presence if you don’t mind,” he tried to comfort her from his rejection of her offer. The silence should have been strained and uncomfortable since they were strangers, but it was comfortable and relaxed.

 

--~*+*~-:- o -:-~*+*~--

 

After spending the entire afternoon with Sooyoung, alternating between silence and light conversation as they got to know each other, coming back to the house he’d escaped from felt stifling. He was sure another argument was bound spur up because he hadn’t changed his mind about the arranged marriage his parents were planning. For him marriage wasn’t about equity or only love, but compatibility. It was about affection, compatibility, and understanding as well as, if he was being a realist, similar principles, expectations and ethics. It wasn’t in him to accept a girl just because they came from the same social circles, he wasn’t that shallow or conceited to consider that a top priority in a wife, but it seemed rather important to his parents.

 

“Yunho,” His mother called out, just as he was passing the dining room on his way up the stairs. It was easy to pretend he didn’t hear her and hurry upstairs, but the love and respect he had for her couldn’t allow him to be that childish or disrespectful. Sighing, he retraced his steps back to the dining room finding her sitting at the dining table sipping tea. “Take a seat.”

 

Taking the seat she’d pointed out, he patiently waited for whatever was coming, his good mood pacifying him from becoming confrontational, before she even uttered a word.

 

“Shall we continue the conversation?” She asked which was really rhetorical judging by her tone. Basically, it was a statement and not a request. “You’ve already voiced your vehement dislike for our idea and we’ve noted it. But, all I ask is you give it a chance, who knows, once you’ve met her and gotten to know her better you might like her.”

 

He doubted it, but she seemed less insistent and disagreeable than earlier in the day. “Should I agree and it doesn’t work out, will you leave choosing my girlfriend and future wife to me?”

 

“If she isn’t suitable, I’m sure we can find another that’s more within your standards,” and that was obviously a no. If it wasn’t JaeKyung it would be another and if it wasn’t that one, another was likely to follow.

 

He bit his lip, trying to control his temper and tongue. “So, I don’t get to choose who I want to be with?” His question was hopeless, but he wanted confirmation of his epiphany.

 

“Of course you get to choose, Yun-ah,” She dismissed it, like it was the silliest thing she’d heard because to her, choosing from her choices was a choice. Rather than him actively going out to find a bride himself.

 

Sometimes he wondered if the expectations they had for his Hyung, Jaejoong, weren’t being pushed on him because the blond had found and married his wife, and not the one they had selected for him. Then again, he supposed it was because they approved of Jessica being that she was from a well-to-do family as well.

 

Pulling his hand from the hand she’d placed over his to placate him, “Just from those you have already pre-approved, right Omma?” This time he didn’t return when she called as he stormed out of the room.