The melt down

A Winter's Story

 

Jinwoon stood in front of Nicole’s house in the middle of the night, holding a guitar, firmly in his arms. He played ‘River flows in you’, lifting up his eyes into her closed window on her room, knowing that she will be watching. Nicole leant on the wall silently, hearing the serenade, but she did not make any moves to the door to greet him or hugs him dearly like in any other movies. Her heart is too cold to make such a warm response.

“I know you were there as I know this is your favourite song,” he yelled as the rain started to poured, drenching him and blurring his sight but he did not stop playing. He wiped the water from his face, fixing his hair so that it did not cover his eyes. “I don’t care if I’ll catch pneumonia after this. I just want you to hear me out. If you don’t want to see me right now, I won’t go home. I’ll play for you all night,” he screamed again, fighting with the flowing rain, with his fingers still brushing the string, strumming it loudly.

She peeked from her window, eyeing him as tears started to fill her eyes to the brim. Once again, she failed to freeze her heart as she stormed from her room. It still ached from a little gesture, a mere sight of him. She sighed, being defeated by her emotion made her feels weak and she hated it. She opened the door, halted at the threshold as she stared at him. She handed him an umbrella and started to dart off as he caught her arm.

“P-please forgive me,” he stammered, quivering from the cold. “I-I know you still love me.”

She lowered her gaze, tears flowing from her eyes to the ground, mixing with the rain. “Who said I stop,” she mumbled as he removed her tears from her cheek.

He smiled faintly. “I’m sorry, I lied to you. I’ll never do that again, next time.” She glowered, lifting her face to him. “Fine, no next time,” he said and her face started to form into a pout. “I love you. Can you forgive me?”

She shook her head furiously, releasing her hands from his grasp and ran towards the door. He threw away the umbrella to grab her hand again, making them wet from the downpour. “Why?” he cried out.

“I want you to tell me why do you love me,” she said trembling. “From the beginning I’m the one who chose you, I’m not giving you a chance to fall for others. I felt guilty for taking that away from you,” she added. “I want to know the reason, why don’t you just breaking up with me?”

His lips curled upwards as he cradled her face, he blinked repeatedly, stopping the water from entering his eyes and hindered his vision. “Jung Yong Joo, I love your addiction to chocolate although you tried your hardest to not consuming them too much as they make you fat. You love baking so much; you even want to open your own bakery in future. Your favourite song is ‘River flows in you’ and you want that to be played in your wedding, our wedding. You hated to cry in front of others, so that you won’t make anyone sad for you. So you always smile,” he whispered and touched her lips with his thumb. “I love you for who you are, and I already fall for you even before you confessed. You are the most wonderful person I ever met.”

She smiled dazzlingly and put her hands behind his back, pulling him for a hug. “Good answers,” she murmured and tighten the embrace. He lifted her in the air and swirled her slightly. “I love you too,” she said as he put her down to the ground, gazing her fondly.

“A-are we done now, coz I really need a blanket and maybe a hot chocolate. I-I’m fre-eezing,” he shuddered. “B-but, if you want us to stay like this, a bear hug will do,” he said and wrapping his hands around her.

She chuckled and pulled his cold hands towards the house, offering him warmth as her heart is melting down.

 


 

“Good morning,” she greeted him from the kitchen, frying an oversize egg on the pan.

“Morning. What are you making?” he asked groggily. “Omurice?” he said as he stared at the wrapped egg on the plate.

“Yup. My sisters always ask me to make omurice for breakfast. I guess it becomes a habit now,” she smiled bleakly.  

He was about to sit down as he heard a knock on the door. They stared at each other, guessing who it might be and he flew to the door to find out. He surprised to see a man in his brown suit, standing with a straight face, looking up to him. “What are you doing here?” he said, placing his hand on the door, preventing the other person from entering.

“What are you saying? This is my house,” he spoke harshly, breaking his way in. “Looks like you have grown up as I see a girl spending the night here. Living together already?”

“What do you care? You don’t even concern if I’m alive...or dead.”

The man glared at his son, watching him walked closer to the girl. “Just go to the room, you don’t need to see this,” he whispered, looking at her pale face, who is feeling overwhelmed by the sudden chaos. She stood in the kitchen, dumbfounded.

“No, it’s ok. I can handle this.”

“No, just go,” he urged forcefully. She startled and ran inside, concealing herself.

“I want you to move in, living with me again,” said his father, indifferently.

“Why? It’s not you’ve been living in that house, anyway. That’s the reason I’ve been staying by myself. Whether I’m there or not, there’s no difference.”

 “My business has been affected by the news. My only son is living alone, while I’m struggling to improve the economy and promoting family's first. That’s damaging my image.”

“So, you want me to move back in not because you miss me or..you want to be my father again, holding the responsibility. You just don’t want me to break your reputation. Pretending to be a saint rather than a sinner,” Junhyung snickered.

“Don’t you dare talking to me like that,” he shouted, raising his hand, floating in front of Junhyung’s face.

“Just slap me,” he taunted, raising his eyebrows. “I’ve been hurt by you anyway, even without you hand.”

The man flushed, holding his anger and withdrew his hand. He turned away, headed to the door but he halted upon hearing a girl’s voice, forcing him to turn back.

“It’s not his fault for the death of your wife. You should stop blaming him, try to let go, and forgive yourself."

"Hara-" Junhyung said, interupting her speech.

She shook her head lightly and continued. "We should accept our destiny and not argue with the fate. No one knows about the future, but one thing for sure, God has always prepares something good for us. We just keep waiting and cherish our present,” Hara said, walking out from the room and stood beside Junhyung. “He’s your son, a gift from God and your beloved wife. You shouldn’t abandon him,” a smile appeared across her face. “As I shouldn’t abandon my family," she glanced towards Junhyung. "I’ll see you later,” she said softly as she headed to the door, leaving the man with the boy, staring at each other.