Fire on ice

A Winter's Story

 

The opposite of love is hate, although some might say it is indifference, is the contrary. Despite the fact that she love being with her family, she doesn’t dislike the idea of solitary, independent and freedom. She yearned being a normal teenager, went for a movie in the weekends, enjoying festivals or just strolling leisurely in the town, eating ice cream and watched the boys. Yet, she stuck on the house chores, juggling between school and her part time job as a waiter. Divided herself as a mother, an economist, a maid, a high school student and a part timer but never an adolescent.

“Do you have some money? Lend me some,” Goo Seunghyun asked.

“That’s why you come back? Asking for money,” Hara said, her hands busied setting up the table.

“This is my home, can’t I come back.” He followed her around. “I used to live here, though. I need some money to pay my rental and for the gigs.”

“That’s not my concern, “she said, ignoring him and headed to the kitchen. “Maybe, if you spent less time fooling around and stick with your job, you might have more money.”

He sighed and moved to the kitchen, trailing behind her. “Just give me some money ok. You’ve got your salary right, lend it to me and I promise to pay next month.”

“No, she exclaimed and glared at him. “That’s for my college.”

“Why do you need to go to the college anyway, you’re not a smarty pants. Just go to a normal college with a cheap fee,” he said reluctantly.

“You are such annoying brat,” she yelled and slammed the spatula on the counter. She walked to the living room and started to tidy up the space. She heard a scream from her sisters room and she stormed in. “What’s happening here?” she shouted as she saw they were pulling each other’s hair, whining and crying.

“Soo Jin unnie doesn’t want to let me borrow her colour pencil,” said Hye Rin, grasping a handful of Soo Jin’s hair and tried to snatch a small case, from her palm.

“That’s because you always ruin it,” she screamed as she whirled, showing her back to Hye Rin, grabbing a box of colour pencil and hugged it firmly on her chest.

“Hey, stop that,” she moved closer to them, pulling them apart. “Soo Jin, just give her the colour pencil. Hye Rin, uses it properly.”

“No, I don’t want to,” Soo Jin cry out, loosening herself from Hara’s grasp. She stormed outside, running away with the box still tightly on her arms.

“Hey, what about my money? Im late,” yelled Seunghyun, coming from the opened door, annoyed by the lack of concern.

She scowled, pushing him hard to the wall. She strode to the living room, where Hyun Woo suddenly burst into tears, sobbing and throwing away all his toys. She calmed him down, picking him up, and wiping his tears. She soothed him, singing a little lullaby as she patted him gently but he cried even louder. Hye Rin came to her, weeping and pulling her clothes, begging her to buy her another colour pencil so that she doesn’t have to share. Soo Jin came out from the bathroom, pleading for a new one just like Hye Rin. Seunghyun stared at her annoyingly and walked closely to her, still requesting for some cash. Hara let out a loud shriek, silencing everyone down. She put down her little brother and brushed away her sister from their grip. “I’ve had enough,” she inhaled sharply. “I quit. Everyone is so bothersome and irritating. Each one of you,” she pointed to everyone. “For once, I’m glad mom’s dead, at least she doesn’t have to face all of you, suffering in satisfying your every needs.” She turned to face crying Hyun Woo. “Thank you for killing her.”

She spun around just to face her red-faced father, he raised his hand and slapped her hard, her hair flung from the blow. “Don’t talk like that to your brother,” he said sternly as his eyes widen in anger.

She brought her palm on her cheek, feeling a sharp pain as his palm still stuck on her skin. Her tears poured endlessly, and she stormed outside. She bumped to Soo Young at the entrance, and she gave a piercing look. “What did I do?” she asked bluntly.

“You, just do nothing,” Hara uttered and exited the house.

 


 

Hara sat on the bottom of the wishing tree, leaning her back on the trunk, staring absentmindedly to the sky through the small space between the leaves. She cried her heart out, ignoring the chilly air and frozen water beneath her.

“Are you crying?”

She turned around, wiping her tears on the cheeks, she stood upright. “It’s nothing,” she said softly, shaking her head lightly.

“Hey, what’s wrong? Are you hurt?” Junhyung asked, showing a little concern and moved towards her.

“I-I’m fine,” she stammered, walked pass him, rejecting his affection.

“You don’t look fine,” he said, catching her arm and spun her gently. “Hey, talk to me.”

As soon as she lifted her face to him, tears started to flow again, she sobbed uncontrollably. He took her into his arms, putting them around her waist. He patted her back, soothing her, put a comfort into her heart and blew her sorrow. She pulled back as she calmed down, flushed, as awkwardness started to fill the atmosphere around them. She glanced on her side sheepishly, and he observed her reaction with a smirked. A sudden growl coming from her stomach, echoed into the silence. She touched her belly immediately, trying to lessen the grumble noise, and ease her hunger.

“Dinner?” he chuckled as he took her hand, dragging her, forcing her to walk with him. She let out a little cry, shocked by the sudden jerk but she managed to control her nerves, she went speechless as she stared at her hand, intertwined with his. She just followed him, without uttering a word. They reached Hongdae soon and stopped at a stall, selling ddokbuki. He offered her a cup, and he ate another, shoving the food into his mouth. She watched him ate with a little smile, remembering how her brother used to eat, messy and took a mouthful every time. After finished up their meal, they walked to the park again.

“What are you doing in the park at night?” she asked, broken the mute surrounding.

“I just spent some time in the cemetery, just beside the park,” he smiled bleakly. “The sound of a little girl crying suddenly in the middle of the night made me curious.” He stopped walking, gazing her, raising his brows. “I just bought you dinner, you owe me an explanation.”

“I just ran away from home,” she said indifferently and continues walking.

“What? What happened?” he chased after her, matching their steps.

“I’m just tired of everything. I just feel like to throw away the burden on my shoulder. The rocks started to weigh more as I walk, slowing me down. I want to be free.”

“So, where do you want to sleep tonight?”

“I can just knock Nicole’s door. But I don’t want to bother her. She had her problems too.

“If that’s what you want,” his lips curled upwards. “But, you can just stay with me. I mean, I live alone. If you don’t want to worry your best friend, I’ll be glad to provide you a shelter.”

She shot a glance at him, staring him with wide eyes.

“I-I don’t mean anything bad. I-I just want to help,” he stuttered.

She turned to face in front again, weighing her option and finally she decided. “Where do you live?”

“Just near the park. At the end of that corner,” he said pointing into the end of the road. She nodded lightly and they walked until they reached into a luxurious apartment. They headed to the lift and he pressed the button, going straight to the 8th floor. “Welcome to my humble abode.”She stepped into the open door, glancing around the quiet and spacious space. There’s not much furniture, just a long couch in the living room with a television set, a dining table, kitchen and a huge black refrigerator. There’s a beautiful fireplace on the wall, adding the glorious view into the messy yet expensive surroundings. “You can use that room,” he said directing her vision to a room beside the kitchen. “I’ll sleep on the couch,” he slumped into the couch and sat comfortably.

“No, it’s ok. I can sleep on the couch. I don’t want to burden you. You just help me so much.”

“It’s nothing. Just go inside and rest,” he pushed her lightly into the room and closed the door.

After she cleaned herself out, she peeked on the door, glancing around the living room, trying to find a familiar figure. “Junhyung, are you sleeping?” she whispered.

“Yes and no,” a smile tugged on his lips as he relaxing by the fireplace that had been lit up, producing a warm and cosy environment. “That’s the first time you ever call me by my name. Come and have a seat if you want.”

She made a step hither and sat beside him, enjoying the warmth. “Whose grave were you visited?” she took a glimpse on his face, and saw he furrowed his brows. “I’m sorry. I’ve shouldn’t ask.”

“It’s ok,” he paused. “That’s my mom. She died while giving me birth.”

“Oh. I’m sorry.”

“Nah,It’s fine now, there’s in the past. Besides, I never had seen her, so there’s no point to grieve, to feel the emptiness without her. I never knew how it’s like to have her.”

She stared at his expressionless face. “But deep down in your heart, you miss her don’t you? You wanna know how it feels like to have her in your life.”

He flustered, glanced beside him, searching for her face. “Maybe,” he uttered and turned to watch the fire again. “But, I’m not the one who should miss her a lot. My father has been blamed me for everything that had happened. I took my mother’s live. I should’ve been born,” he said trembling.

“Hey, don’t talk like that. It’s not your fault.”

“But, that’s not my father thinks. He still mourning for her death. Abandoned me as a punishment for killing her,” he chuckled darkly.

“I used to say that to my little brother, blamed him for being born coz because of him my mom’s gone. Now, I’m comforting you, saying it’s not your fault." She halted. "Irony,” she said shivering as her eyes moisten.

He gazed her eyes, he put his arm around her shoulder, upon seeing her tears, streaming down indefinitely, she patted her back,gently. She rambled, telling him everything, confessing on little sin she had done and felt asleep on his shoulder.