Wish

A Winter's Story

'You must be the change, you wish to see in the world’ as quoted by Mahatma Gandhi. A wish or hope is something you want to see happen in the future, although no one knew what’s future hold for us, nobody does. But, we never stop wishing for something better, full of hope, like a beautiful spring after a cold winter.

 

“Yah, Hara, write your wish on this paper and put it on the tree, and your wish will come true. Come on try it,” said Nicole elbowed a girl stood next to her, handing her a piece of paper.

“You still believe on that stuff. It’s for little kids, we’re almost adult now,” she shook her head lightly. “Besides, wish doesn’t simply come true by praying on the tree; you have to work hard to achieve it.”

Nicole turned to glare at her. “You really know how to ruin the moment.”

She chuckled. “Sorry,” she smiled apologetically. “Anyway how do you sure, this thing will work out. I mean, are there any definite proof of ‘wish came true’ thing?” she asked making an apostrophes sign with her fingers.

“There is. My mother used to wish on this very tree, and that was how she met my father,” she replied with a wide smile on her face. “Romantic isn’t it?”

She smiled a little, watching her gleaming expression. “So, what are you wish for? A boyfriend? You’re already have one, or do you wish for another lover?”

“No silly, of course not,” she hit lightly on Hara’s shoulder. “One is just enough.” She paused. “I wish for our happiness, and endless love between us,” she pressed her lip together, and slowly her lip curled upwards as she stared at the tree.

Hara rubbed her shoulder, stung lightly from the blow. She put her hands on Nicole’s shoulder. “I hope your wish may come true,” she murmured.

 


 

“Hey, where are we going?”

“Just wait and see for yourself,” she said smiling as she dragged him, to an old cherry blossom tree, in the corner of the park, covered with white snow. “We’re here.”

“Where is here?” he glanced around. “It’s just an old tree,” he said, staring at the tree, ageing more than 20 years. A lot of papers stick on the tree as well as ribbons, charms and scarfs, tide on the branches, looking more like a Christmas tree than a Sakura tree.

“It’s not just a tree,” she said, firmly. “This is the tree I talked about before, the wishing tree.”

“So, what are we doing here?” Jinwoon asked, gazing at her.

“What else? To make a wish, of course,” she said as she clasped his hand together. “Now close your eyes and make a wish.” She did the same, and stood silently.

He chuckled, eyeing her, and did as he was told. After a moment, he opened his eyes and found her watching at him with a smile. “What are you wish for?”he asked.

“No can’t tell. Don’t want it to be a jinx. If I told you, it might not come true.”

“Hey, just tell me,” he said hugging her, tickling her waist.

She giggled, trying to get away from his embrace, pushing his arms. “Ok, ok. I’ll tell you. Stop tickling me.” He stopped and she cleared . “I wish we will spend more time together and continue to love each other even after we enrolled in the college,” she paused. “We will be in the same college next year, right?”

“Y..yes, sure,” he stuttered.

“Oh, I can’t wait. We’ll be in the college together, strolling around the campus, it must be wonderful,” she said excitedly.

He just smiled wearily, watching her glorious face and a bright smile tugged on her lip.

 


 

Junhyung and Jinwoon walked together on the path just beside the park, looking at a crowd of people surrounding a big tree, with small white flower buds, covered in snow. “What happens there? Is any some kind of celebration going on?”

“Just people making their wish on that sacred tree,” Jinwoon answered nonchalantly.

“I don’t know that you believe on that stuff,” he said laughing quietly.

“I don’t,” he scowled at Junhyung, walking beside him, still laughing. “It’s just Nicole, she believes it. She even dragged me to make a wish on that tree,” he said shaking his head slowly.

“So, what did she wished for?”

“Just, about us, being together at college next year. Happily forever.”

“You didn’t tell her about the news yet? Until when are you planning on lying to her?”

“I’m not lying. I’m just...not telling her the truth,” he stammered. “I don’t know how to tell her. I don’t want to break her heart; she’s been yearning for this ever since we were together.”

“You’ve got to tell her, somehow,” he said kicking the snow on the ground, splattering on his shoes.

“I know,” he said softly. “Still not fond of the snow? The fact that your birthday is on winter doesn't really lessen the hatred huh? ”

He scoffed. “I still don’t know why people love this season. It’s freezing cold, and this snow, I find it just unnecessary frozen water.” He stared at him. "The birthday thing is actually makes me detests this season more."

He laughed loudly at his whining, shaking his head. “For me, it’s some sort of weapon,” he said as he lumped the snow as big as his fist and threw it to Junhyung’s back as he took a caution steps back, he giggled.

“That’s war,” he said, taking a fistful of snow on the ground, and threw it at Jinwoon, who’s making his steps to run away, while dodging and stumbled once.