Twice Fired

Mission Assassination

 

Her eyes were shut firmly and her hands were clawing tightly; an indication of her fear. Death was coming for Tiffany and there was nothing she could do to prevent it. As she remain motionless in a stationary position, her mind wondered to who was holding her in the first place.

Myungsoo.

She took a peek to see his face and all she saw were anger. Not fear, not fright, but full, plain anger. Despite what she saw, the girl was curious to why a man like him, was willing to trade his life for hers. Why a man like him was willing to throw everything for her when they know nothing of each other.

“If you want to kill her, you have to kill me first.” She heard the man say in a wrathful manner.

“Be real, Myungsoo.” The man mocked his sibling. “You would die for this girl?”

“If it means that we’ll get to the bottom of Yuri’s death, yes, I would.”

Myungsoo looked down to the girl he was protecting. Here she was, a Hwang, after long sought. It struck him as ironic that right after meeting her, he would die.

“Hear that, girly?” Tiffany heard the man calling her. “My brother is throwing his life away for a stranger. For you.

Yes, sarcasm was evident in his voice but she found no strength to counter attack.

“What do you have to say to that?” He asked her again.

When she made no answer, he turned impatient. “Come on. We don’t have all day.”

Tiffany looked up to the young man holding her again. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead, a sign that he was nervous for what was about to come. She took in his face again and realised he could be around Chanyeol’s age.

It dawned on her that this young man could possibly be the same age as her brother. Would she have let her brother die for her?

“I think you’re making a mistake.” The girl said at long last. “You’re making a grave mistake.”

“Hear that, Myungsoo? She said you’re making a mistake. Why don’t you just let her be?”

“I was talking about you, not him.” She struggled free from Myungsoo’s embrace but it proved futile.

“Really?” The man scoffed. “What mistake could I have possibly made?”

“Leave her alone, Won Bin.” Myungsoo added sharply. “She’s innocent.”

“But she isn’t.” The man cut him off. “Tell me now then. What sort of mistake am I making?”

“The fact that you give no care to your brother is already a mistake.” She didn’t hesitate in telling him off.

“You know nothing of us.” Won Bin hissed.

“But I know that he fears you and that he’d rather die than to be stuck with you.”

“I said you know nothing of us!” She then heard the man loading his gun and felt remorse immediately.

“I… I know that he loves you, deep down inside, lest he wouldn’t stay here and listen to you.” Tiffany continued. “And I know that somewhere deep down inside, you wouldn’t want to kill your brother as well.”

“You wouldn’t.” She muttered softly. “After Yuri died, you can’t lose another of your sibling as well, can you?”

“One more word, girly, and I’ll pull the trigger.” The man threatened.

“Pull it then.” Myungsoo announced with a dead tone. “I guess it’s true. You must really hate me, right, Won Bin?”

Tiffany felt his heart racing in that particular moment and she knew then it wasn’t true. She knew that somewhere deep inside him, he was hoping that the man wouldn’t pull the damn trigger.

“I care about you.” Won Bin faced his gun down. “I can’t lose you after losing Yuri.”

“Then don’t.” Myungsoo stammered.

“I have no choice. You brought in a stranger.”

“I brought a Hwang.”

The room turned silent, as though the name Hwang speaks for itself. Out of a sudden, the man laughed reluctantly as if in disbelieving.

“There can be no Hwangs.”

“But here she is.” Myungsoo then proceeded to look at Tiffany in the eye. “Tell him. Tell him who you are.”

“M-My name is T-Tiffany H-Hwang Mi Young. I was Yuri’s neighbor back in the US.” The girl uttered, unsure if what she said was what he needed to hear.

“You’re from the US?” The man asked her to which she nodded. “You’re not supposed to be here.”

“I came for Yuri but…”

In the corner of her eye, she saw the man tucking in the gun into his coat. He heaved a sigh of exasperation as he stared at the two figures to his front.

“She can stay but make sure she makes no trouble.”

He then walked away and after hearing the footsteps pass by, Myungsoo let go of the girl he once held in his arms. He too sighed but turned into a smile as he looked at the girl.

“That was a close shave.”

“Close shave?!” Tiffany raised her voice. “We almost died!”

“Nah. Won Bin would never kill me.”

“Then what was that for?!” Yes, the girl was tired.

“He needed to know that you’re a Hwang so that you’d be able to stay.”

“You…” The girl raised her hands before letting it fall again. “So I’m staying?”

“Pretty much. You can have a rest now. Dinner’s at 8 so remember to be on time. Won Bin really hates waiting for people.” Myungsoo proceeded to walk out of Yuri, or more specifically, her room.

“W-Wait!” Tiffany shouted to the young man. “Why don’t you call your brother with a title? H-He seems pretty much older than you.”

“Things happened.” The man dismissed her questions before asking, “Why are you so interested?”

“O-Oh. I-I was just wondering of how I should address him.”

“How were you planning to address me?”

“B-By your name, I guess.”

“Really?” He scrunched his nose. “No oppa or anything?”

“I’m pretty sure I’m older than you.” Tiffany explained herself. “I was born in 89.”

“Just so you know, I’m not going to call you noona.” He walked off before shouting. “I was born in 92, by the way!”

The girl turned a quick smile before frowning. Here she was, at the Kim’s residences. Was it really worth it to risk her life for Yuri who was already dead? She shook her head at that thought before reprimanding herself. She owed Yuri and after all, the dead girl seemed like she trusted her enough to even let her siblings know about her.

Tiffany took a quick check at the time. It was only 3pm in the afternoon. Dinner will be a long time from now. She felt uneasy at having dinner with someone who almost killed her today but the girl shrugged it off once again. At least Myungsoo was there.

The more she thought about it, the weirder it became. Funny how she only knew Myungsoo from today yet she trusted him more than one should trust another. She plopped down on the bed that once used to be Yuri’s and let her mind wander.

Today was going to be a long day, indeed.