Chapter 4

The Man of Her Dreams

 

So Young looked back for a second, and was yanked forward by the guy. They took off, running as fast as they could back down the street and around the corner.
 
"Who are they?" So Young called to the man, gasping for breath as they flew past shops and restaurants.
 
"Fangirls. They follow me everywhere," he replied breathlessly. "Oh crap, they're catching up!" he glanced over his shoulder and panicked. "RUN FASTER!"
 
"Wait, don't go there!" So young yanked him back by the shirt when he tried to turn left. "It's a loop going back to where we were." Sure enough, another group of girls, probably split off from the main group, appeared at the end of the road on the left. 
 
"Follow me." So Young commanded, and they raced to a small coffee shop, yanking the door open and scrambling inside. The two quickly sat themselves down at a random table, looking around. "Uhh.. here." So Young shoved a newspaper at the guy, who got the hint and opened it up to cover his face. 
 
He slowly peeked out at the edge of the paper to see a stream of girls running past the shop windows, pointing ahead and yelling. A minute later, So Young spoke up.
 
"They're gone. You know, you can put that down now." she told him, smiling. He gingerly put the newspaper down on the table, glancing around. The guy sighed in relief and turned to look at So Young.
 
"Phew. Thanks so much. I would have been dead without you." he told her, wide-eyed.
 
"I don't know about that, but you're welcome." So young said graciously. "What's your name, by the way?" 
 
"Oh! I'm Youngmin. Nice to meet you, and thanks again for saving my ." he grinned at her.
 
"So Young. Nice to meet you too." she returned the smile. "And it's no problem."
 
"Enough about that, though. Let me treat you to a cup of coffee. That's the least I can do to pay you back."
 
"Well..." she hesitated, but couldn't resist the pleading look he was giving her. "Okay, fine."
 
Sh watched him as he went up the counter to order the drinks. He had a tall, thin frame, a cute face with a soft jawline and eyes that seemed too big for it. He winked at the girl across the counter as he picked up the two cups, walking back with a confident stride. 
 
Youngmin reached the table, smiling as he handed So Young her drink.
 
"One vanilla latte. Enjoy."  
 
"Thanks. Mm, smells delicious. Just like the latte Lay makes." So Young closed her eyes.
 
"Lay? I know someone with that name." Youngmin glanced up from his steaming coffee.
 
"Oh, he's just my coworker at the cafe I work at. Blue Moon cafe, have you been there?"
 
"Oh, I've seen it. Never been inside, though. I'll make sure to stop by and visit next time."
 
So Young grinned. "Alright. I'll be expecting you." She took a sip of her latte. "By the way. Why did you even drag me along with you in the first place? I mean that in the nicest way possible." she assured him.
 
Youngmin smiled. "I don't know, honestly. Gut instinct? You seemed like a nice enough person that didn't deserve to get run over by a mob of crazy fangirls."
 
"Hmm. I see. Well, I appreciate the thought." she said, smiling back at him. "It was kind of fun, actually. Exhilarating."
 
He raised his eyebrows. 
 
"Well, it could be exhilarating. If you're into that kind of stuff." he shrugged. "It's like that for me everyday, though. Gets pretty tiring after a while."
 
"Seems like you're pretty popular." So Young commented.
 
"Yup. Let me introduce myself, though. I'm Jo Youngmin, 20 years old. I have a twin brother, and I love playing basketball. And I'm pretty popular at school, if I do say so myself." he gave her a grin, leaning back in his chair. 
 
So Young suddenly had a thought. "Hey, what school do you go to? I saw some girls from my college in that... crowd." she tried to describe the swarm of girls that had been chasing them earlier.
 
Youngmin chuckled. "I go to Seoul University. But I do have admirers from lots of other schools too." he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.
 
"That explains it." So Young shook her head, smiling. "And someone is a bit cocky." 
 
"Well, I have a right to be. Look at this handsome face. And my charisma," he gave her a playful expression, half joking. "Well, tell me about yourself, then." he drained his cup of coffee.
 
"Kim So Young, 20 years old. I love drawing, and other art too, I guess. Um... I attend Seoul Arts School. Hmm... that's pretty much it." she said.
 
"Wow, Seoul Arts School? My brother goes there. Ever seen him? Can't really really miss him, he looks almost exactly like me." Youngmin told her.
 
"Your brother? Oh! Right, you said you have a twin. Seems pretty cool. I wonder what it would be like to have a twin." she thought aloud.
 
Youngmin grinned. "Well, people used to always get us mixed up, until we dyed our hair different colours. We are identical, after all. Our personalities are total opposites, though. He's more quiet, but I'm mostly on the confident, outgoing side. As you can see." 
 
The two spent the rest of the evening chatting in the warm coffee shop, only stopping since they both had school the next day and So Young had unfinished projects to attend to. They bid goodbye at the door, exchanging numbers and turning their separate ways. Youngmin smiled to himself as he walked away. 
 
"What an interesting girl. We'll meet again for sure, Kim So Young."
 
-------------------
 
"So. Where are you heading off to tonight?" So Young asked Lay as they stood outside the cafe in the cool night air, locking up the shop doors. 
 
"Dance competition." Lay answered, surprising So Young. 
 
"Woah, really? I didn't know that you dance."
 
"I did tell you the first day I met you, you know," he pointed out. "Dancing is most of my life. Kind of like how art is a huge thing in yours." he gave her a smile. "Hey, you should come tonight. That way you can see me dance first-hand. I'd love to show you around too. Come on, it'll be fun!"
 
So Young pursed her lips, hesitating. But upon remembering her best friend's words once again, she sighed, wondering if her quiet evening that she planned to spend finishing her soon-due design was already a lost cause. So Young gave a shrug. 
 
"Sure. I'd love to."