Birthday Party

ASSASSINS

 

Boa looks at her reflection in the mirror and smile at how pretty she looks today. She walks out of her room and go straight to his 12 years old brother’s room. There he is wearing a white suit because he says he can’t lose to his sister today. When Boa’s mother re-marries Mr. Shim, she never really thought that having a brother would be this much fun. They shared the same birthday and they have a lot of fun together. Even though Changmin is 12 years old, he’s considered taller than other kid his age and he’s definitely taller than Boa, so people always think of Changmin as the older one.

 

“Mom, what do you think?” Boa runs down the staircase with her pretty white dress with a crown on her head. Changmin smiles at his older sister’s word and stuck out his tongue at her when her mother only praises Changmin. Changmin’s father walk in and his eyes is focused on Boa and Changmin can’t help but to feel jealous about it.

 

“There, fair and square! Your mother likes him and your father likes her!” Changmin’s teacher who was also Boa’s teacher said to the two of them.

 

“Boa is already fourteen but she always acts like she’s younger so that she can play with Changmin more. I hope Changmin won’t be cold towards her when they’re older because I heard that boys don’t really like to show people about his relationship with his family,” Boa’s mother, Seulmi said right after Changmin and Boa left the kitchen.

 

“I think Changmin won’t do that because even now when the boys in the school avoided physical contacts with their family, Changmin doesn’t mind doing it in front of his friends,” The teacher, Mrs. Park said to their mother.

 

“Let’s bring these foods to the front!” Their mother said to the teacher. The two women put the food to the buffet table at the garden in front of their house as more and more guests arrive. Boa and Changmin keep on talking to their friends while everything is slowly being prepared for their birthday. The cake ordered was quite big considering that this is the first birthday party they’re celebrating together since their parents got married five years ago. Boa’s father died when her mother was still pregnant with her and had been raising Boa alone for 9 years with the money left by her father before meeting Changmin’s father. Changmin’s mother on the other hand died giving birth to him. Their parents met at a party held at Mrs. Park’s home for her children’s birthday.

 

“Tell me something, did you like your sister before your parents get married? I heard you cried when you found out that you’ll be siblings! Aww!” Changmin’s friend, Hyungseok whose also one of the bully in school asks him, obviously teasing him about it. Changmin look at him and laugh at his words.

 

“Our parents get married when I was five. Are you telling me that a five year old kid knows how to love other person besides their family? I never liked any of you when I was five because besides my dad, my only love was for toys! You always act like you’re so tough and clever when you’re with the others but I never knew you’re this stupid! Who invited you anyway? I didn’t!” Changmin said to Hyungseok.

 

“What did you just called me?” Hyungseok asks angrily.

 

“I just called you stupid, and if you want to know why, it’s because you’re stupid!” Changmin said angrily. Hyungseok’s parents stare at the two of them fighting and Boa walks right to him and pull him before he gets himself into trouble.

 

“Why did you pick a fight with Hyungseok? His parents are here!” Boa said to Changmin, hitting him hardly on his shoulder.

 

“He’s stupid noona, he said I was in love with you. I was five, what kind of love do I know besides my love for toys?” Changmin said making a point. The reason why Changmin have a lot of friends in school is because he’s not scared of Hyungseok at all, and he does things that Hyungseok finds embarrassing likes holding hands with his mom. Changmin’s tongue is like a gun shooting at Hyungseok whenever Hyungseok tries to do things to him and when asked where he learned all of those things, he said the television taught him well.

 

“Changmin, Boa, come here this instant!” Boa rolls her eyes when she hears their mother calls them with her angry tone of voice. Now they know Hyungseok’s parents tell her about it.

 

“Changmin, why did you call Hyungseok stupid?” Their father came in and asks Changmin.

 

“Because he’s stupid? I learned in school that I shouldn’t lie to people, so I’m being honest,” Their parents look at him and roll their eyes at his response. He is always so clever at retaliating that they don’t know how to respond to him.

 

“Boa, stop teaching him bad things! Now, go to the front, we’ll be blowing up the candle for your birthday cake! Go now, go! And Changmin, don’t pick a fight with Hyungseok anymore!” Their mother said to them and sends them out with their father. The two walks outside and when their mother finally came out of the house, all of them starts singing happy birthday to them with their father recording everything. Boa took the camera from her father and start recording by herself.

 

“One, two, three!” Right when they wanted to blow the candle, Boa feels something splash on her face as the person besides her, Mrs. Park falls down to the ground with blood covering her face and the only thing she hears was her mother’s voice shouting, “Boa, take care of your brother!”

 

Boa holds tightly to the camera in her left hand and hold tightly to Changmin’s hand with her right hand. She looked besides her and she sees tears in Changmin’s eyes as blood is covering his face. Loud screams are heard everywhere as more and more shots are fired but the two of them just stood in front of their white cake and watch as their white cake turns red. The candle is still lit even with all the shouting and fast footsteps they hear.

 

Boa look at Changmin and hold his hand tightly as they turn around and sees one by one the parents who came to the party falls to the ground and the scream that was so loud turns to silence but they still can’t find their parents. Swiftly, as fast as lightning, one by one, the kid who attended their party was knocked out and taken away. They watch everything happen without blinking their eyes and with the small camera in Boa’s hand keep on recording everything that happens. Boa’s white dress and Changmin’s white suit is now stained, not by food but by blood.

 

“Changmin, help me!” Changmin heard Hyungseok cries and when he wanted to reach out his hand that is holding onto his leg, Changmin’s eyes grew wider as his white suit is now stained by Hyung Seok’s blood. Out of all the kid there, they killed Hyung Seok. They kidnapped the others but they killed Hyung Seok. Why?

 

“I SAID SPARE THE KIDS AND BRING THEM TO THE ACADEMY, WHY DID YOU KILL HIM?” One of the guys said. Changmin and Boa who had been looking down the whole time as they were looking at Hyung Seok, look up and see two out of the n-nth man stands in front of them and is smirking at them.

 

“What a sight, isn’t it, princess?” One of them said and touches the tiara on Boa’s head. Boa glares at him as he did that and she pulls Changmin so that he can stay behind her and hide the camera that is on her left hand inside his pocket. Mom, dad, help me, I’m scared. She knows she might end up having the same fate with Hyungseok, she might just be killed right now but she needs to protect Changmin. She needs to at least let him live.

 

“Our princess is not scared, is it? Tsk tsk tsk, such a pity, your white dress is now tainted by blood!” The other man said to Boa and touches her dress. Boa holds onto Changmin’s hand tighter when he wanted to retaliate, ‘this is not one you can retaliate to, Changmin’, wishing she can actually say those words to him. Boa pushes his hands away and right away, something sharp is on her neck and she can feel little blood flowing down her neck. She keep on glaring at the man, wanting to tell him with her eyes that she’s not scared of him.

 

“I SAID SPARE THEM!” Boa’s eyes were still open when the blood of the man in front of her splashes onto her face. Another splash of blood was felt when the other man falls to the ground. Boa knows the one who shot them must have been their leader that he has the power to kill them when they disobey him. The leader walks slowly to them with a smile on his face.

 

“Happy birthday prince and princess! What do you think, is this party surprises you enough? Is it colorful enough for you? Oh, the candle is still lit, why don’t we blow it off first?” The leader who’s wearing all black said while smiling.

 

“No! It’s not surprising enough, and it’s not colorful enough! And no, we won’t blow the candle! At least there’s still light in this place after all the darkness you brought to it!” Boa doesn’t know where she got the courage to say such thing, probably because she’s ready to die.

 

“Red is colorful to me! The color of blood, it’s pretty! Your cake, your dress and your suit, young man, is now decorated with a little bit of my favorite color!” The man said to them. Boa doesn’t know why he’s not killing them right now but she knows she’s not afraid of him.

 

“Just kill us if you want to! That would make the cake be very colorful enough for you!” Changmin said to Boa and Boa holds his hands tighter to make sure he just shut his mouth up.

 

“No no no young man. I don’t make things colorful; people make things colorful for me!” The man said to him.

 

“Two kids who doesn’t even blink or scream when everyone around them begs for their life, they’re either very brave or very scared!” The leader said.

 

“I’ll kill you with my own two hands!” Changmin said and Boa keeps on holding Changmin so Changmin won’t do anything stupid anymore.

 

“tsk tsk tsk, is that bravery or stupidity? Listen to me, and listen to me well because from now on, you will remember what you see, you will remember what we did, and we will spare you for you’ll never be able to speak as you’ll be silenced by it.” The leader said and left their house.