Chapter 2

The Tower, the Prince and the Lettuce
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Reita almost fell backwards out of the window.

The voice, though pleasant and curious, unmistakably belonged to a man.

“I … um… are you the … only one living here?”

“Yep.”

“huh… ahm…”

The man standing in the dark waited patiently.

“I was… erm... up… but you…”

“How about you let go of my hair for starters...” the voice suggested, when Reita still held on to the blonde braid as if it were a lifeline.

“Huh? Oh… sorry.”

“What’s your name?” The voice asked amused.

Reita squinted to try and make out the figure in the shadows, but had little success. “Reita.”

“Then Reita, let me ask again: What are you doing in my tower?”

The valet eventually managed to gather his composure and display self-confidence. Whatever he had expected to find up in this tower, this wasn’t it. Reita stood on the window sill, leaning casually in the frame.

“Well originally I was going to ask whether you would like to be introduced to Prince Charming down there, but I see how this is inappropriate with you being, well, male.”

At this point the man finally stepped out from the shadows and looked mildly interested past Reita, down into the meadow, where Prince Uruha was still pacing to and fro.

The blonde valet was taken aback. The man in the tower was breathtakingly handsome. Not like his dashing Prince, more like the huntsman sent out to kill Snow White. Clad completely in well-worn leather, high boots and a short dark jacket he looked nothing like someone you expected to find locked up in an abandoned tower. And then there was the hair, of course.

“You should be careful…” he said presently. “If she finds you, she will turn you into squirrels. She doesn’t like people finding this place.” The man said, leaving Reita’s statement uncommented.

“Come to think of it… Why do you live in a tower?”

“It’s not by choice. She keeps me locked up. God knows why!”

“Probably as a boy toy, considering you are quite good looking.” Reita mumbled.

“Pardon?”

“Nothing… Ah well, I should get going. Since you are not a potential bride… we might as well get out of this darn forest. Do you mind if I use your hair again?”

“REITAAAH!” came a shout from below. “WHAT IS GOING ON? HAVE YOU COMMENDED MY QUALITIES TO THE LADY?”

The blonde rolled his eyes. “MY LORD…” he gave the man beside him a side long glance before deciding on a strategy on how to deal with this. “THE LADY’S CHARACTER IS LACKING. Literally. WE SHOULD CONTINUE OUR SEARCH FOR A SUITABLE BRIDE ELSEWHERE.”

“ARE YOU QUITE SURE?”

“POSITIVE, MY LORD. SHE IS LACKING … THE erm… PARTS?” Reita hesitated, giving the man an apologetic smile. The man raised an eyebrow.

“I MIGHT… YOU KNOW, BE ABLE TO IGNORE THAT IF SHE WERE TO BE … OTHERWISE ACCOMPLISHED?” Prince Uruha called up to them.

“Christ, why could you not ignore that for any of the other twelve Ladies?” Reita cursed. “But now that you can’t have it… uho! Just wait! MY LORD, REALLY. THE LADY IS QUITE OUT OF THE QUESTION… TO BE HONEST A NICE SINGING VOICE MAY BE HER ONLY ADMIRABLE QUALITY.”

“How do you know? I have several admirable qualities!” The man crossed his arms before his chest.

“Do you want to get rid of him

Please log in to read the full chapter