One

la petite sirène

"...and they lived happily ever after." I tucked a loose strand of hair behind my little cousin's ear. Peaceful moments like this made me regret my decision, but it couldn't be helped. When I leave, she'll be taken care of. Better than I ever could. It was the right choice, even if it was heartbreaking. "Goodbye...I promise to come find you...someday..."

I pecked her cheek and left a letter tucked into her favorite book of fairy tales. She wouldn't leave without it; that I knew. I just hoped she would always know that I love her...that this was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my entire nineteen years of existence. And that I was so, horribly, terribly sorry for leaving like this. 

The weather was surprisingly warm, and the path faintly illuminated by the moon's distant glow. How long had it been since the last full moon, I wonder? Pulling my worn boots over my tights, and slinging my small bag of a sad collection of necessities over my shoulder, I ventured off into the woods. I took one last glance at the small hut that had been my - our - home since I could remember. The government agents would be over in the morning; I had little time to spare. They'd probably go looking for me.

Fallen leaves crunched beneath my steps, seemingly louder each time. Nighttime was wonderful - so serene and quiet. The village was always bustling during the day, and even though it was quite a distance away, the city could be heard over everything. That's where I was steering clear away from. All the modern technology that made it a utopia of some sort...it was too much to handle. Plus, the queen did everything she could to make her presence known. I heard strange tales about her...how she even banished the prince because he was more beautiful than she. Of course, I've never seen the prince, but I also heard he was never seen again, so I don't think I ever will. Happy endings? Those are of the past. These days, the closest thing to a happy ending was getting away from this place.


I felt my stomach grumble as the sky started to lighten. How long had I been walking? "There has to be food somewhere...ah!"

Through the shrubs, I could see a faint sparkle. Something reflected off the surface of...a lake? Water! As long as I have water...

I made my way through the bushes, slid to a halt, and landed on my knees right where the water met land. I splashed my face, relishing in the cool touch. My reflection, though, not so much. I rubbed at the dirt that had somehow accumulated on my cheeks and nose, and splashed once more. Upon opening my eyes, my reflection seemed to glow; I looked so pale and...different...somehow. Was this water enchanted?! I reached my hand toward the surface, smoothing from the ripples, and the face disappeared. I was me once more. "Huh...?"

Not realizing how tired I was, I stretched my legs out in front of me. The lake was hidden deep within the forest, and ruins of a past era lay in its greenery. No one would ever think to look here.

I layed down in a soft patch of grass, my arms tucked behind my head. The sun had come up a while ago, feeding me with soft warmth and comfort. If only I had taken her with me...no, it'd be too risky. I couldn't do that to her. Who knows, maybe a wealthy family would want her. She'll grow up just fine without me.

A yawn escaped my mouth and I stretched my arms out; my eyelids grew heavy and I curled up on my side, facing the lake. Only, I wasn't alone.

My not-reflection was now a head above the water, intently staring at me. "Uh....h-hello..." I stammered, slowly getting up.

"Who are you?" For some reason I couldn't tell if the head belonged to a boy or a girl...it seemed too ethereal to even be human.

"M-me? Who are you? ...And why are you in the water?" The head sunk a little lower, its eyes averting mine. "W-wait! I'm Hye Mi...but you never saw me!"

It rose up again, this time smiling. "I should be telling you the same thing, Hye Mi. I'm Tae Min; nice to meet you."


A/N: I decided to give you a name in this one since I'm tired of not having a name haha. And I like how Hye Mi sounds idk.