Sing for Me

Last Winter

                 What? How did he know I am going out with Heechul? Well, actually, I'm not going out with him. It's just gonna be one date. But, still… Did Heechul tell him? I decide to play innocent. 

                 "I don't know what you're talking about, Oppa," I say. 

                 The others are confused. They watch with interest. 

                 "Of course you don't. I was kidding. Relax," he responds, chuckling. 

                 I laugh nervously. "Oh, right. Very funny, Oppa."

                 He smiles pleasantly. "I try."

                  There is a heavy silence. Everyone is staring at me. Well, not everyone. Sungmin is staring at the door, waiting for Maria to come back. I still want to smack him. Why does he like my sister so much? He doesn't even know her. And he's too old for her!

                   The door opens. Maria walks in slowly. "I'm back," she says, smiling. 

                    "Where'd you go?" I ask. 

                    "Ummm… The restroom," she answers after a slight hesitation.  

                     I nod, not really believing her. But as long as she isn't sneaking out to see an older guy, I'm alright if she doesn't want to tell me where she had been. 

                     I glance around the room. Leeteuk gives my sister a questioning look. Casually, I shift my gaze to her. She gives him a thumbs up. Huh? What's going on between them?

                     "Lena," Leeteuk says. 

                      I look at him curiously. "Yeah, Oppa?"

                     "Sing for me," he requests. 

                      What? Why does he want me to sing? Is he joking again? "Umm… Why?"

                      "I just want to hear that lovely singing voice once more," he answers. 

                      "Alright…" I say reluctantly. "I'll sing."

                      The other members watch expectantly. I'm a little nervous and don't know what to sing. So I sing the song I wrote. The one about my family. The one that always makes Maria cry. 

                       "I don't know why I wait for you,

                        when I know you'll never change. 

                        Your eyes are just as empty,

                        as they were that day. 

                        And the family that you ruined,

                        do you ever think of them?

                        Time doesn't heal every wound."

                       They are all silent. Maria wipes away a tear. I stare at them, wishing they'd say something. Anything. 

                       Finally, Leeteuk speaks. "That was beautiful," he says. "I've never heard that song before… Did you write it yourself?"

                       I nod. "It's about my appa…"

                       Before I can say anything else, a man comes into the room. He points at me. "I want you to work for me," he says. 

                      "W-what?" I ask incredulously.

                       "That's our manager," Leeteuk explained. "I asked… Maria to get him to listen outside the door."

                        "Lena," the man says, "I want you to be S.M's newest soloist."