Seeing Eye To Eye III

Of Tiny Hyungs & Giant Maknaes

 

A/N: This is the last part of the three-shot, people! Is that weeping I hear? Don't be sad. After this I'll be resuming my one-shots which I have a ton of feels for, but didn't want to work on before I finished this. Yes, I am so commited to this. As a reader, be proud. HAHAHAHA! XD

 

Oh, I should tell you how I got this chapter out.

So one day, I was completing my holiday assignments while shuffling songs on my iPod, and it skipped to this song, Wouldn't Change A Thing by Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas for the Camp Rock 2 OST. I've always loved this song - Note, I said I liked the song, not the movie or the people because eww, Jonas brothers - and as I was listening intently to the lyrics that one line caught my attention. You guys should know it; the title of this short chaptered story. "We're face to face but we don't see eye to eye". Seeing Eye to Eye. I was like, holy smokes it clicks, it freaking clicks! And I couldn't believe it because this never ever crossed my mind before.

You see, I've already written the ending of the series even before the rest, so when I heard the song I told myself that this was a sign from above. Everything in the lyrics fits in with the story. This is the song I need to base the last chapter on. So here we have it! Confused? Don't be. You'll find out soon enough ;)

 

But really, thank you all for sticking around and being so patient with me And in case you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, here's where you can take a listen to the song and read the lyrics. (Do remember to Disable Reader's Mode). Have fun and knock yourself out! :)

 

Word Count: 2,558 words

 

Credits to sunyeonie from the S E N I O R O N I O N S Poster Request Shop for the posterrrr! ~

 

HelloBB 

 

- - - - - - -

 

Or Had I Been Looking At The Wrong Things All This Time? --

“Movie night!” The leader’s loud holler brought all the other members out from all directions, some from their shared bedroom, the others the kitchen and their rapper who had just returned from his schedules and was kicking his shoes off by the front porch. They filed into the living room one by one like little ducklings and gathered around the mountain of blankets and pillows dumped in front of the TV.

 

Min Hyuk brought a tray of cut fruit from the pantry and laid it out on the ground next to the other not so healthy snacks. Soda… Crackers… Gummy bears… Watermelon… Hand rolls… Potato chips… He did a quick count of the food items on the floor and marked everything off his mental checklist. Their gym trainer was going to have an absolute fit if he knew what they were about to eat, but what he didn’t see wouldn’t hurt him. The visual member dusted his hands off and grabbed his favourite Kraftholic bunny plush toy, settling down next to Dong Geun happily as he watched the leader take a disc from its cover and pop it into the DVD player.

 

Hyun Shik reached for the platter of snacks and picked a biscuit up, observing it as though it might be poisoned before popping it into his mouth. “What are we watching tonight, hyung? Please let it not be some terrible slasher film like what a certain maknae had picked the last time.”

 

Sung Jae held up his hands in defence. “Hey, don’t pin this on me. We went by majority vote on that, and nobody wanted to watch that cheesy rom com of yours. Hyung, it’s time to grow some and stop watching those girly movies. You might turn into one yourself.”

 

“Yah!”

 

One second later and the muscleman would have pounced on the maknae if Eun Kwang hadn’t wedged himself in between the fighting pair and rapped both their skulls with the of the TV remote in his hand. “Behave, you two, and stop acting like you’re ten. We will not be watching anything horror nor fluffy today so you can stop fighting now.”

 

“We’re watching… Everyone, drum roll please…” One thing about Eun Kwang was that he was so accustomed to being in front of a camera all the time that he still speaks as though he’s MC-ing even when they’re off camera. He eyed everyone, refusing to continue talking until everyone mimicked his actions and drummed their bare feet against the wooden floor. He brandished the DVD from beneath his bottom – yes, he was sitting on it – before waving the plastic cover about in the air. “We’re watching Camp Rock 2 today!”

 

The rowdy dorm turned silent as each of the members, unsure of how to react, simply blinked at their leader. On the one night that they were clear of all schedules for some free time to relax, they were going to stay home to watch a feel-good teen movie? Chang Seob’s eyes flicked over to the front door and he silently wondered if it was too late to try to slip out now.

 

Ilhoon was the one who spoke up first. “Camp Rock? Isn’t that like the High School Musical thing?”

 

“Yeah,” Eun Kwang settled down comfortably and repeatedly jabbed the ‘Play’ button on the remote to get the DVD player to start working. With his free hand he reached over to the tray and snagged a slice of watermelon from the plate and stuffed it into his mouth, unfazed by the attention he was receiving. “It’s supposed to be pretty good.”

 

“But why on earth are we watching it?” The young rapper’s tone could almost be described as condescending as he wrinkled his nose in distaste. “That’s like a kid’s show.”

 

“Because it’s about music,” Eun Kwang emphasised with a dramatic wave of his hands. “We’re singers, guys! Musicians, performers! This is the kind of stuff we should be watching. Who knows, inspiration just might hit us while watching this and we’ll be able to make better music.”

 

“Someone please enlighten me how Paranormal Activity is related to music because I absolutely see no link, and unless you’re talking about warming up my voice with all the screaming I did, I merely got scared for nothing.” Hyun Shik groused, muttering the string of words under his breath so quickly that no one caught what he was saying besides Dong Geun, who gave him a hard nudge to his side that caused him to wince.

 

“I don’t mind,” Sung Jae offered, trying to maintain peace between the members. “I haven’t watched it before but my friends all said it really was pretty good and they kept urging me to watch it, except I never had the time to. Now would be a good time to watch it.”

 

“Yeah well, I have watched it before with my baby niece to humour her. It’s absolutely boring and nothing happens.” Out of pure habit, Min Hyuk simply had the urge to tear the youngest down at once. “Like what Ilhoon said, it’s a kid’s show and it’s immature. No wonder you would–”

 

Min Hyuk would have continued to rant on if not for Eun Kwang who had pinched his arm and shot him a fierce glare, mouthing some words that no one else but the two could decipher.

 

“…Alright, I guess we can watch it…” Nobody had expected the visual member to be the one compromising without much of a fight. Min Hyuk pursed his lips and looked away, much to the astonishment of the younger ones, especially Sung Jae. The maknae immediately had something snarky to bite back at Min Hyuk, but taking into account the temporary peace treaty that had been drawn, chose to hold his tongue.

 

As Dong Geun hotfooted to the master control panel and dimmed the lights to the dorm, the members huddled closer to one another under the warm futon and watched intently the first scene flicker onto the screen.

 

~~~

 

Gathered around the blazing campfire, the bright and smiling teenagers sang their final song to the simple strumming of the guitar, ending with a hug between the two main leads and the credits rolled. Eun Kwang reached for the remote and flipped the TV shut. “So guys, what do you think? How was it? It wasn’t as bad as you initially thought, was it?”

 

“Hmm,” The leader’s enthusiasm was only met with lukewarm response as a chorus of mumbled agreements came while the members rose to their feet clumsily, arms stretched above their heads as they straightened their backs, hearing satisfying pops and cracks as they warmed up joints gone stiff. Leaving the eldest members to clear the mess, one by one they trickled off in different directions to their individual corners of the apartment to resume their previous activities.

 

Sung Jae too, trudged back into the bedroom lifelessly and laid sprawled eagle on the Eun Kwang’s bed as he surfed the internet absentmindedly on his laptop. One song had stuck to him even long after the movie ended. It was the duet between the two main leads, Shane Gray and Mitchie Torres, when they left their cabins and took individual walks around the campsite late at night as they were sorting out jumbled thoughts of each other in their heads.

 

The lyrics of that duet had really hit home. Like fire and rain, like Venus and Mars, like different stars. That was exactly what he and Min Hyuk were and more. Worlds apart and then further than that; forever unreachable to each other and unable to connect.

 

But you’re the harmony to every song I sing. Matching each other perfectly when we host and in song. Every polarised difference each had cancelled out in the presence of the other. A melody could not function without its harmony and the harmony line sounded awkward and lacking without its melody. One was always incomplete without the other.

 

“I need a glass of water…” Sung Jae muttered to himself as he emerged from the bedroom in a zombie-like manner. “Thirsty…”

 

“You have to tell him.”

 

“You know I can’t, Eun Kwang ah.”

 

Perhaps it were the contents of the harshly whispered conversation between the two eldest members in the kitchen that made the youngest stop in his tracks, or maybe it was due to the desperation laced in Min Hyuk’s voice that caused his steps to cease as he pressed himself against the wall and shielded himself from view.

 

“You have to acknowledge these feelings of yours and admit them to him sooner or later. We’re a band together, Min Hyuk ah. We have a good five years ahead of us by contract and probably even more by friendship. You cannot keep being like this.”

 

 “No. Never. I’d rather live having him hate me for reasons unknown than for finding out the truth. I’d rather die than admit to Sung Jae that I love him.”

 

Sung Jae bit back a startled gasp as he reeled back in shock. But given the amount of animosity he felt towards Min Hyuk, why were his cheeks colouring and his heart beating so rapidly fast? It wasn’t thumping with dread. It was pumping with anticipation. The maknae backtracked from the kitchen, silently slipping back into the bedroom, and climbed the rungs to his bunk bed in record speed. He buried himself under the mess of blankets, refusing to show the world just how red his face has become.

 

Opposite ends of the magnet were supposed to attract, weren’t they? Like how black fits in perfectly with white, day with night, Anastasia with Dmitri, summer with winter, and peanut butter with jelly. A combination never expected to go well together but yet complementing each other perfectly. Even things that are the most apart can create a beautiful story together too.

 

Like a short person with a tall one, or a rapper with a singer.

 

“Oh my goodness!” Sung Jae shot up straight, the back of his head narrowly missing the low ceiling. He couldn’t believe he missed the signs the entire time. The confusion he felt at the other’s sudden cold shoulder, the light brushes of their skin whenever they initiated skinship, be it forced or natural, with each other… the faint blushes that would creep up his face automatically whenever the elder was near… He must have been stupid to have thought otherwise the entire time. “I like Min Hyuk hyung!”

 

“What?!” An incredulous bellow was heard from the bed directly below his.

 

“Nothing, hyung!” The youngest squeaked before leaping out of his bed, giving Hyun Shik a dismissing wave before shooting out of the bedroom. Just as the living room came into view, Sung Jae could see Eun Kwang step away from where he was hugging Min Hyuk before heading for the manager’s room, while the latter turned towards him wiping his damp cheeks, and a look of recognition crossed his red-rimmed eyes. But before the elder could even utter a word of protest, Sung Jae was already right in front of him and breathing down on his face as he tried to catch his breath. “Hyung, I like you!”

 

“W–What?”

 

“I overheard what you and Eun Kwang hyung were talking about just now. It was purely by accident I swear! I didn’t mean to walk in on your conversation but I have to say that I have to say that I’m glad that I did or else I would not have found out about how you feel towards me and wouldn’t have realised that I felt the same way about you.” Sung Jae rambled in one jagged breath. “What I’m really trying to say is that I like you too! I like you a lot, hyung!”

 

“Hyung? Are you okay?” There was no reaction from the elder besides rapid blinking. His eyes were vacant and his pupils diluted. But before Sung Jae could start checking Min Hyuk for signs of shock, the rapper snapped out of his trance and stalked off towards the balcony without a single word uttered. Now it was the maknae’s turn to start rapidly blinking. “Hyung…?”

 

He wasn’t going to get rejected after pouring his heart out, was he?

 

“Uh, hyung? Why are you...?” Sung Jae watched as Min Hyuk bent down and picked up a stepping stool mechanically before stalking back to where the maknae stood rooted to the ground. “Why are you getting that for? Where are you bringing it?”

 

Min Hyuk set the stepping stool right in front of Sung Jae and climbed on. They were now of equal height. “Finally, we can both see eye to eye. I have a lot of things to tell you, so listen up carefully, okay?”

 

Sung Jae opened his mouth to protest but was cut off by the index finger pressing against his lips. “Shush. I’ve been working on getting my courage up just to speak to you so please don’t talk or you’ll ruin everything. I’m going to start now so don’t say anything until I’m completely done with everything that I want to say, got it?”

 

“Yook Sung Jae, I… have been in love with you for a really long time. I can’t pinpoint exactly when I did, I only know it happened somewhere along the way when we were preparing for our WOW comeback. I fell in love with you. My insides exploded with jealousy when I saw Kang Min Kyung sunbae-nim give you that back hug, and every time you interact with Dong Geun so fondly, I feel as though I die a little on the inside. You are, of course, not to blame since you didn’t know anything, but I just wanted you to know this.”

 

“Whatever I’m saying right now might seem incredulous, because my actions over the past months reflected nothing of my affection towards you. I guess I was just scared. I liked you so much and I didn’t know what to do with my feelings.” Min Hyuk looked down shyly and fiddled with the hem of his shirt. “And… Even though you didn’t know about my feelings, I just didn’t like you having so much fun with all the other members. I felt as though there was nothing to tie you down to me now that our MC stint with MTV The Show is over. A–And… And I was jealous, because I really, really liked you.”

 

You’re the harmony to every song I sing.

 

Sung Jae plucked the elder’s hands from his shirt and held them gently in his own larger ones, cradling both pairs at chest level as a soft smile caressed his handsome features. “Hyung, do you know one other thing that’s good about us seeing eye to eye?”

 

“N–No, what?” The elder stuttered adorably as a soft pink hue dusted his cheeks.

 

The younger slowly slid his gangly limbs around Min Hyuk’s waist and drew the older one closer to him till they stood with toned chests pressing against each other. “I can finally do this to you.”

 

Sung Jae leaned forward, allowing his eyes to flutter close naturally when his nose made contact with Min Hyuk’s pliant cheek a second before he pressed his full lips to the other’s beautifully arched Cupid bow.

 

And I wouldn’t change a thing.