Underneath the Mask Part Two

Underneath the Mask

 

Seolhee's POV

 

''It's Christmas...'' I say quietly as I look at the calendar. ''I don't know why I wasn't being truthful to myself... And to Luhan. Why couldn't I tell him?'' I ask myself.

I make a small scrapbook of me and Luhan's love life and the secret that I have kept from him.

I place a small key chain in the box that is already has a scrapbook in it.

~

''Wifey~'' Luhan gives me a hug.

''Hubby~'' I hug him back.

He brings out a small box from his pocket. ''Happy Birthday, Wifey~''

''Awwww~ Thank you~'' I give him a small kiss on his cheek. When I open it I see a girl character with long wavy heir with a yellow head band, holding half a heart that says 'his'. 

''Do you love it? It took a whole week making these~'' he says as he bat his cute round doe eyes.

I make a stolid face, ''No it is horrible!'' Luhan frowns, ''I kidding, Hannie~ I love it!'' 

''That wasn't nice.'' He pouts. 

''I'm sorry~'' I say as I pull out my phone to put the key chain on.

~

I put a red velvet cupcake inside a small box along with a ring, that I haven't worn for ages. It had the word 'love' on the ring and it had engraving of Luhan and my name.

~

''Guess what today is~'' Luhan asks,

''Hmm~ Let me guess. Is it your birthday?'' Luhan shakes his head. ''Your dad's?'' he shakes his head again. ''Is it free ice cream day?'' I ask again. Luhan frowns. I burst out laughing at his expression.

''What's so funny.'' he asks in a sad voice.

''I'm sorry oppa~ But it is fun messing with you.'' I giggle, ''Happy one year anniversary!" 

''You remembered!'' Luhan put on his bright smile.

''Of course I do oppa~'' I give him a hug. ''Wait here.'' I go over to the counter of the coffee shop and ask for the cake I left for later on the day. I put on a candle on the cake and light it up and take it to Luhan.

''Happy Anniversary Oppa!'' I surprise him with the cake, ''It's your favorite! Awesome looking red velvet cake with cheesecake frosting! I made it just for you!''

Luhan blows out the candle and takes hid fork and takes a bite, ''It tastes wonderful!'' Luhan takes out a box.

''What's this?'' I ask.

''You can't be the only one giving me a surprise!'' Luhan smile, ''Open it!''

I did as I was told to see a small wing shaped ring. ''So pretty!'' Luhan lifts up his left hand to see the same ring on his ring finger.

''We always needed a couple ring.'' He says, ''Look at the inside of the ring!''

''Hmm..'' I look at the small writing on the ring, ''Forever Luhan ♥ SeolHee'' I gaped surprise, ''It's the best thing I ever received in my life!''

~

I close the box to wrap in a silver paper finished with white ribbons, his favorite color. I wrote a card for him and tucked the envelope holding the card underneath the ribbon.

I wore a skinny jean with a plain white shirt. Over top of it I wore long, dark blue, jacket that was extended to my knees, finished off with combat boots, a scarf and a toque.

I headed over to Luhan's dorm room only to receive a note on his room door, 'Please leave me alone today. I'm not even in the room.''

I sigh and head outside. Trying to remember what he would do during Christmas. I knew for sure that he would be with his group friends. I was in the Central Park near the pond when I finally snapped out of my thoughts.

I brushed off the snow on one of the bench sat on it and shivered from the coldness. I stared into nothing as I zoned out.

~

''What?'' Luhan says, surprised by my words.

''I told you!'' I smirk, ''I'm dumping you!'' Luhan drops to the ground holding my hand as if it depended on it. My heart sank looking at his tears.

''Consider this my early Christmas present.'' I say out of my will. ''You look too feminine~ Did I mention you act like a kid too much? Get rid of those useless aegyos and try to be man for once will you? Plus, I was toying with. I was bored and you were the first person sight! Nevertheless, you only did fall for my looks~ Tsk tsk. Guys. childish as usual. Only falling for looks.'' Each word I say left a stab in my heart. I quietly mumble ''You probably have ignored me if you saw me two years ago.'' This was the only thing I wasn't lying about. 

Take off the ring he have on our anniversary and put it in my pocket to bring out a fake ring and key chain. ''See this?'' Luhan looked up at me and I could the tears covering his eyes. ''This is you to me.'' I say painfully. I throw the ring and key chain into the pond.

''No!'' Luhan yells out painfully and jerks up. He runs in the direction I threw the two items. I hear a cold splash. Seeing him in the ice water looking for the useless items hurt me. A lot.

I dialed Lay's number. I cleared my throat before talking into the phone ''Hey~ Lay~'' I say in the brightest voice I can. ''You better come to the Central Park, near the pond before your friend here freezes to death, bye~'' With that I close my phone. I go over to Luhan and also give him an advice, ''Sweetie~ Stop trying. It's useless! It will only hurt you.'' I walk behind the bush and hide myself. I at least needed to see Lay take Luhan home.

10 minutes later, Lay comes running in the park. He looks around and finally sees Luhan in the water. ''LUHAN!'' He screams, ''Are you crazy?!?! It is -15 degrees out, snowing! Do you want to freeze to death?'' He jumps in and yelps due to the freezing cold water. ''How can you stand the cold?!''

''Leave me alone! I need to find it! It was the first gift I gave her! It was out 1st year anniversary ring!'' Luhan wailed as tears kept coming. ''I need her!''

I started to hiccup and tears wouldn't stop flowing out from my eyes. I cover my mouth from getting caught.

''Give it up already!'' I could see Lay screaming at Luhan, shaking him by the shoulders. ''You will end up dying if you stay in here any longer!'' It was hard for me to see him like this. 'I should have never met him in the first place. I shouldn't have come to Korea' I screamed in my mind.

''You are coming with me!'' Lay finally drags him out of the pond into his car. I see him grabbing a blanket for him and soon the car disappears from my sight. I finally let my mouth out, making the empty park fill with my cries.

~

I snap out from my day dream and realize that the sky was dark. I had a pile of snow on my head and my present for Luhan. I could feel that my clothes were soaked as well.

''Achoo!'' I sneeze from the cold. I could feel heat rising in my face. I guessing I've caught a cold.

I brush off the snow off of me and the gift and stand up. I walk out of the park and start walking home until I see a familiar car. It belongs to EXO-M. Then I realized it was parked in front of a bar. 

I looked at the time and it was already 11:47 p.m. I saw Luhan dragging s in his car one by one. I stopped at the crosswalk and waited the light to green, to cross the street. I waited by the car as I saw Luhan bring up his last member, and putting them in the car.

''Luhan...'' I call out. His head turn towards me.

He gives me a glare. I walk closer to him he gives me another glare before he is about to enter his car.

''Luhan!'' I stop him, grabbing the car door.

He slams his door shut, ''What do you want! I told you that I don't want anything to do with you!'' he yelled at me.

A pang of sadness stung me, ''I'm sorry...'' I give him the gift I prepared for him.

He smacks down the gift from my hand, making it crumble down on to the ground. ''Chet, useless!''

''No!'' I screamed picking up the gift, brushing off all the snow that got on it. ''Please!'' I literally beg, ''Just take it and open it when you get home.''

Luhan scoffs, ''When did you become a beggar? And I never knew that THE Han Seolhee had manners!'' It almost cracked me up.

''You in my way!'' he pushed me hard onto the road. It made me land on top of the box, crumbling it in the process. I quickly stand and try to fix the box.

I was so focused on fixing the box, I zoned out, until I heard a screeching sound. I look behind be too late to see a car that lost its control coming towards me. That's when it hit me that I was going to die. I tightly hug the gift for Luhan not wanted to lose it. Then the impact throws me to the ground.

I lie in the cold snow with a throbbing head. But I still didn’t dare to let go of the gift until Luhan takes it.

I heard Luhan scream as he ran out of his car, ''Seolhee!'' He drops next down to me. The other member of EXO-M comes out of the car due to the scream of Luhan and few other citizens. Their eyes go wide as they sees me. Kris quickly dials a number and talks to it, but I'm too busy looking at my Hannie's face.

''Luhan~'' I say, ''Hannie~ I love you.''

''Shh~'' Luhan places his hand over my cheek, ''Don't talk! You will lose energy!''

I giggle, ''My whole face throbs.'' I look at my reflection through Luhan's glassy doe eyes. ''Look Luhan! My face! It's ugly! It's all messed up!'' I hysterically say, ''It's like seeing me 5 years ago!''

''What are you talking about?'' I could feel a drop of Luhan's tear drop on my cheek, ''You are not ugly! You are beautiful! No matter what!''

''Really? Even if I tell you that I'm a fake?'' I ask. 

"What are you talking about sweetie!'' Luhan looks at me confused.

I painfully and slowly give him my gift, ''Take a look later...'' I say, ''Luhan...?''

''Yes?'' he says has he finally takes the gift from my hand.

''I'm tired. I want to go to sleep!'' I quietly say. ''Sweet dreams~''

 

No One's POV

 

''No!'' Luhan screams, ''No! No. No! Don't go to sleep! Wake up! Seolhee! Wake up! Please, wake up! I didn't tell you that I love you yet!''

''The medics are here!'' Tao tells Luhan.

The ambulance stops right by Seolhee and Luhan. The paramedics rush out with the gurney. They lift up Seolhee's limp body and put her on the bed, taking her in the in the ambulance. Luhan quickly follow them in.

''Are you her guardian?'' Asks one of the paramedics.

''Ye.. Yes.'' Luhan answered in a quivery voice.

''Can we have some information on her please!'' the paramedic asks as the other paramedics start to do first aid on her.

''Uh... She is 21 years old.'' Luhan muffles out, ''She is blood type A -. She is allergic to some medical drugs, I don't know what. She never told me! She has asthma! Please! Save her!''

''We will do everything we can sir!'' the paramedic speaks. 

''Please! Please! Save her!'' Luhan croaks out.

''Sir! I need you to calm down!'' the paramedic tires reassure him, ''You are hyperventilating! You need to breath!''

~

Luhan and his group waits for Seolhee in the waiting room.

''He still likes her.'' Kris quietly talks to EXO-M members excluding Luhan.

''I knew this would have happen!'' says Lay.

''What are you talking about Lay-ge?'' asks Tao.

''He still has his ring and key chain from before.'' Lay tells his group, ''I saw him time to time looking at it secretly time to time.''

The group secretly looks at Luhan.

''He also stalls in the park Seolhee dumped as well.'' Lay adds.

Two hours has passed and Seolhee is still in the operation room.

Xiumin walks over to Luhan, who is finally calmer. ''Just wish for the best Luhan.''

''Xiumin-ge...'' Luhan says, his voice full of sadness.

Chen passes Luhan a beaten up silver box that has slight smears of blood on it, ''You left it back at the scene.''

Luhan's shaky hands takes the box. He stares at it for some time until his hand over the envelope. He opens and start to read the note.

''To: My deerest Hannie~<3

I love you! The words I said 3 three years ago was a lie. I'm sorry I made you have a hard time because of me. I don't know how I could ever repay you! I decided to go to Africa to help the children there, seeing that I could never go to my family. My whole time has been a lie to you. Except that you were my love of my life. I was scared that you would leave me first after you found about my past. Not even my family knows why actually came to Korea in the first place. They just think that I wanted to study here. But I now have the guts to tell the truth! Just open the box and you will find out. I don't think I could say it myself, but I made a scrapbook for you. Hope you could forgive me. If you don't, it's fine as well. You will probably hate me as soon as you see it anyway. Well I give you back all the precious things you gave me and this will be last red velvet cupcake with cheese cake frosting from me. I should be leaving for Africa tomorrow! Bye Luhan! Forever. I wouldn't have the guts to meet you again. And again, I Love you!

WO AI NI! <3

Your love from 3 years ago, Han Seolhee''

Luhan start to crack up reading the letter. He opens the box to see the ring and key chain he gave to Seolhee when they were lovers. He opens the red box in the gift to see a broken cupcake. The heart frosting split right in half. Luhan takes the cupcake and takes a bite at it.

''Seolhee...'' he muffles as his swallow down the cupcake, choking in the process.

Kris comes to pat his back, ''You are going to choke yourself to death! Slow down!''

Luhan just stuff the rest of the cupcake and his face is filled with tears again. He grabs the scrapbook that was at the bottom of the gift and lifts it up. It was labeled 'Forever Luhan ♥ Seolhee'

Luhan opens the page one at a time. It was a timeline of their love life. Starting off with the picture they were an officially a couple and pictures of their first date and birthdays. All the special moments they had and the anniversary. It was all in the book.

Luhan came to last few pages and it had notes in it.

'Did you like it?'

'It had all our memories :)'

'I sure wish that I could go back to those times'

'But I don't have the powers to do so...'

'Well I guess it came to the last pages to the book!'

'I'm sorry that I never told you about my past.'

'I was just ashamed of myself'

'But I'm more ashamed of me right now more...'

'My mom was right! Beauty isn't everything!'

'Here is my past! And... Good-bye...''

Luhan turn the last page to see shocking pictures. It was filled with pictures of Seolhee before she had plastic surgeries. Fat body, small eyes. You name it. Luhan covers his mouth and started to cry even more. His friends crowd around him to see what it is in the scrapbook themselves. All their mouths open, shocked by the pictures.

A doctor comes out of the emergency room, taking off his mask. Luhan rushes over him and ask how she is.

The doctor has his head down. ''I'm sorry but I did everything I could...''

''What are you talking about!'' Luhan shouts. ''Don't tell me that...'' Luhan drops to the ground, breaking apart once more, filling the room with his cry.


The story is complete. Hope you readers liked it. And I hope the judges will like it as well.