In a world full of diktats and conventions, could there be another way?

La Vie Est Belle

Black is the new black they said.

Who cares about trends? We don't have to be all the same. Right? Seems I was the only one who thought that way. Upon arriving at the party I realized it. 

The stares I received were proof of the narrow-mindedness of our time. There wasn't a soul in that ballroom that wasn't clad in black but me.

What a bunch of damn copycats.

If that's what people always referred to as “fitting in”, then no thanks, I don't want to fit in. If fitting in means I have to wear, think, choose, eat, do exactly as everyone else does, then count me out of your circle. I can't stand that repeating pattern, that vicious cycle.

I crossed the room proudly, smirking my way deep into the division. I stopped at the big mirrors in the east section. I was merely looking at my reflection when the answer to the question I had been asking myself for quite a long time appeared before my eyes.

Strings.

Shiny, fragile strings.

I abruptly turned around and scanned the room thoroughly.

They were attached to everyone. There wasn't anyone who didn't have a string handcuffed to their wrists. Some even had them around their ankles.

Puppets.

Really? Were people allowing themselves to become something as miserable and lifeless as a puppet?! 

Never. I'll never allow it. At least, I won't allow myself. If others are too blind to notice it then hell with them.

I turned my gaze once again to the mirror. I saw my own wrists were stringed.

Risking a glance at my right side, I saw them. The strings. There were hundreds of them, draping like curtains from the high ceiling. Waiting for their next prey. Waiting to strike again.

I turned my wrists and looked at them. To the thin string holding them. Then I looked at myself through the mirror. And I saw something that made me want to crawl on the ground right there and then: doubt.

Questions started to pop in my mind, wanting to drive me mad, wanting me to change my mindset, wanting me to become something I wasn't.

I kept my composure. I could do this. I could overcome the doubt. I just had to want it. Yes, I just had to yearn for it and fight for it.

I spared a look at the reflection of the room. Sad, sad creatures they were.

Smirking hard at the me in the mirror, I gracefully undid the strings in my wrists by simply brushing them off and wanting it like nothing else in my entire life.

Boldly, I walked straight to the large stairway in the end of the dance hall.

Fearless, I climbed all of the stairs under the hawk stares of all the puppets in the division.

I knew no one was supposed to actually get near those stairs, much less climb them. Which was exactly the reason I wanted to climb them in the first place.

If I don't make the first move, I may become stuck on that wheel of forceful “fitting in”.

I valorize my uniqueness too much to lose it over something as futile as trying to be part of a group of soulless pawns in a game I don't even want to play.

Life isn't something frivolous you can light-heartedly play with.

After all, I thought with a genuine smile plastered for everyone to see, la vie est belle, if you know how to properly live it. 

 

 

24.12.2012 - 25.12.2012


Whoaaa, I had to get that out of my system! Even if it's only a drabble ^^'

Hope you enjoyed this! And no, Key isn't wearing a dress, but a tuxedo [even though I don't mention it].

Merry Christmas everyone!

Inesu :)