Chapter 7

We Are KARA!

For the next few weeks, practice did not go as smoothly as the girls wanted. Although they tried different genre of music in an attempt to search for their own, it was hard for the girls to learn the different kind of music in the limited amount of time.

"Sorry," Nicole apologised, as she made several mistakes when they were practicing the new piece. They were attempting a rock song that requires more accuracy and speed.

"It's ok. Everyone made mistakes too." Gyuri comforted her.

However, Nicole still felt demoralised from her lack luster performance. Sensing her low spirits, Hara approached Nicole at the end of practice. "Cole ah, let's get some ice-cream on our way home."

Nicole brighten up slightly at the mention of food and quickly agreed to Hara's suggestion.

As the girls bade farewell at the school gates, Hara and Nicole made their way to a nearby ice-cream shop en route to their house.

"Chocolate ice-cream is the best," Nicole said happily, the chocolate cone, as they sat down at an empty booth.

"Are you feeling better?" Hara asked.

"Yeah, food always make me happy. But the impending competition is so stressful, and I have yet to master the bass. I made lots of mistakes during practice too, I feel like I am letting the group down," Nicole sighed.

"What are you talking about? We are a team, we work together."

"But, I am playing really badly."

"You only picked up the bass recently, the progress you are making is already impressive. I guess it has to do with you being able to play the violin."

"But my progress is too slow for our band. I made so many mistakes during practice slowing everyone down."

"Look, there is no point brooding over it, we have made excellent progress from what I see. Let's just continue to work hard together and enjoy ourselves. Remember that we want to bring joy to people who listens to us?"

"Yeah.."

"Then we have to first feel the joy in playing our music. So, don't stress yourself too much. Too much frowning will give you wrinkles. I think I am seeing the first sign of it already."

"Oh my god, really?" Nicole hurriedly search for the mirror in her bag.

"I am just joking, look at how anxious you are." Hara joked.

"Thats not funny." Nicole sulked.

"Not funny?"

"Alright, it's a little funny, it seems to be how Gyuri unnie would react."

"Haha, that's right. See, you look better when you are smiling."

"Thanks Hara." Nicole grabbed Hara's hand. "I'm feeling much better now. Let's work hard together."

 

~~~~~


"Girls, come over here." Gyuri gathered everyone to the keyboard during one of the practice. "Remember the competition that we signed up for? I had been thinking about the song we have to compose and I finally have some idea. Listen to this." Gyuri started playing a melody on the keyboard.

"What do you think?" Gyuri asked after she finish playing.

"It's a cheerful song," Nicole commented.

"Yeah, it's cute and upbeat," Jiyoung added.

"I wanted to portray the image we have through this song," Gyuri said. "Do you think it matches us?"

"Yeah, i think that we have the lively and cute image instead of a rock or punk style," Seungyeon added.

"Yeah, can you even imagine how ridiculous we would look if we opt for a punk style?" Jiyoung said and everyone bursts out laughing.

"Alright then, I guess I will continue writing the song in this direction. But I will need help with the lyrics, so I guess everyone will need to think of something they would like to include in the song." Gyuri informs the girls.

"Alright!" Everyone replied.

 

~~~~~


"Jiyoung ah, what are you scribbling in your notebook again?" Sulli asked.

"I'm thinking of lyrics for our song," Jiyoung replied without looking at her.

"Cool, but you should finish your lunch first, the bell is ringing soon." Suzy pointed out.

"What? But I only just sat down." Jiyoung pouts, but just as she reaches out to take a bite of her lunch, the bell rang and everyone rushes out of the canteen.

"Hurry up," Suzy rushed Jiyoung, whom is shoving down as much food as fast and as much as she can.

 

~~~~~


"Seungyeon, how's the new club going?" Taeyeon asked, as she finally finished the day's work and sat down in front of Seungyeon.

"Really good, I really enjoy it. I'm glad i joined." Seungyeon answered.

"That's great, I heard that you girls are entering a competition?"

"Yeah, we are composing a song for the competition. But I have no ideas how to, so I am reading up on these," Seungyeon pointed to a pile of books on composing on her desk.

"Haha, looks like you put in a lot of effort. I'm sure that it will turn out well. Hwaiting!"

 

~~~~~


"We are finally done!" Jiyoung cheered as she held up the CD that has their self-composed song recorded in it.

"Hope we can win the competition," Nicole expresses her wishes.

"Yeah, but no matter what happens, we already did our best. That's all that matters." Hara said.

"Let's send the CD and get some food, I'm starving." Nicole complained.

"Alright, it will be my treat as a form of celebration." Gyuri suggested.

"Yay, unnie is the best! I want to eat ddukbokki," Nicole cheered, and the girls set off to send the CD.