Chapter 8

We Are KARA!

"Gyuri unnie, hurry up! They are releasing the results soon" Jiyoung yelled as she and Gyuri ran towards their club room where the rest of the girls have already gathered. Dashing into the room, they found the three girls huddled around Seungyeon's laptop as they stare anxiously at the screen.

 

"Is the results out?" Gyuri asked.

 

"Not yet, it is supposed to be release on their website at 3pm," Seungyeon answered and looked at her watch. "1 more minutes."

 

"Arghh... I'm so nervous now." Jiyoung complained. "It's been 2 months since we sent the CD."

 

"It's 3pm now! Seungyeon unnie refresh the webpage!" Nicole reminded the girls.

 

"First place goes to FT Island from FNC High School," Seungyeon read out the winner and continue scrolling down the page, "second place goes to CN Blue also from FNC High School, third place goes to LED Apple from Startory High School."

 

"We lost," Jiyoung couldn't hide her disappointment as she walked away to sit on the beanbags.

 

"Wait there is more, there are three groups who won the consolation prize, B1A4 from WM High School, TRAX from Sooman High Shool, and US!! KARA from Daesung High School." Seungyeon shrieks in excitement. 

 

"Really?" Hara asked as the girls looks at Seungyeon's laptop. 

 

"Oh my gosh, we really won the consolation prize." Nicole said after verifying the information with her own eyes.

 

"Daebak," Hara exclaimed, she could hardly believe in what she had just saw.

 

"Let's celebrate!" Nicole pulled out a bag of snacks from her bag.

 

"Our Nicole is always well prepared for such occasions," Gyuri teased. 

 

~~~~~

 

In a month's time, it will be the annual school festival. Taeyeon invited KARA to perform at the festival, which the girls agreed readily. As it will be the first time the girls are performing in front of a crowd, they practiced diligently, hoping to bring the best performance to the audience. The girls always practiced till the night and only left when the school guard chases them out.

 

"I'm so psyched for the festival," Jiyoung said to Gyuri as they walked home together.

 

"Me too. I hope everything goes well," Gyuri said.

 

"I hope so too. Ahh... That's right, I heard from my friends that there is a wishing tree near our school." Jiyoung recalled. "Let's go make a wish." 

 

"Now? Isn't it a little late?"

 

"It will only take a while. Gyuri unnie, please go with me," Jiyoung shows her puppy eyes that she knew Gyuri could not resist.

 

"Haizz, I get it, let's go then. Lead the way." Gyuri playfully pinched Jiyoung's cheek.

 

"Yay, unnie is the best." Jiyoung holds Gyuri arm and they made their way to the wishing tree.

 

"Jiyoung ah, are you sure this is the right way?" Gyuri questions, as Jiyoung leads Gyuri down a small dirt road only illuminated by the bright full moon.

 

"I'm sure. The wishing tree is a little secluded thats all." Jiyoung continues her way down the dirt road. After 5 minutes of walking, they arrived at their destination. The sycamore tree stands alone in the clearing, even in the dark it gives off a sense of hope and warmth.

 

"Unnie, make a wish." Jiyoung said as she closed her eyes and clasped her hands together. Shaking her head lightly, Gyuri also followed.

 

"What did you wish for?" Gyuri asked as they walk back home.

 

"Secret." Jiyoung sticks out her tongue.

 

"Yah! Kang Jiyoung!" Gyuri scolded while Jiyoung quickly walks away. "Tell me!"

 

"It won't come true if I tell you." Jiyoung refuses and Gyuri kept pestering Jiyoung about it on their way home.

                                                 

~~~~~
 

"Girls, gather around," Gyuri called. "Let's do a cheer before our performance! Stretch out your hands and cross them."

 

"Like this?" Nicole asked.

 

"Yes. Now, hold hands with the person beside you." Gyuri continued.

 

"Wow, it looks like a star!" Jiyoung commented.

 

"Yes, it is a star that is only made possible by the five of us." Gyuri answered.            

 

"KARA, you are up in 2 minutes," a backstage crew informed them.

 

"This is our first performance, we wish that everything will go well and the audience will enjoy our performance," Gyuri said as the girls all close their eyes and listen.

"But no matter what, let's enjoy ourselves! On the count of 3, let's cheer for ourselves! 1, 2, 3"

 

"KARA JJANG!" the five shouted.


~~~~~

 

"What a great performance from the dance club. Our next performer is an all-girl band KARA. Let's hear it from them" the MC announced.

 

The stage curtains were raised to reveal 5 girls dressed in matching outfits. Cheers and applause erupted from the audience. 

 

"Annyeonghaseyo," Seungyeon greeted the audience. "We are KARA. We will be performing our self-composed song, Rock U." 

 

With Hara's signal, they started playing their song and Seungyeon started singing.

 

During the chorus

Seungyeon: Rock your body I say 

Gyuri, Jiyoung: Rock your body I say 

Seungyeon: Rock your body I say 

Hara, Nicole: Rock your body I say 

Seungyeon: Shake it Shake it Shake it Shake it Shake it 

All: Yo!

 

Soon, even the audience were able to follow and sing along with the girls. The girls played the song perfectly and received great reaction from the audience.

 

"Saranghaeyo Park Gyuri" a guy waving a handmade Gyuri signboard shouted which drew laughter from the crowd.

 

"Thank you everyone!" Seungyeon thanked the audience and the girls exited the stage.

 

"OMG, I'm glad everything went well." Nicole exclaimed.

 

"Yeah, I was so nervous, my hands started sweating and I was so afraid that my drumsticks will fly out of my hand," Hara shared.

 

"Great job, girls!" Taeyeon patted Seungyeon's shoulder. "The feedback of your performance is great. I really like your song, why didn't you win in that band competition. There must be something wrong with those judges. Anyway, I gotta go now, thanks for agreeing to perform."

 

~~~~~

 

The success of their first performance brought up the confidence of the girls, they continued to compose their songs and practice. They also entered a few competition and won some of them. The name of KARA became more well known and more popular until one day when a record company approached them and offered them a contract. The girls accepted it and made their debut.