Salvation

The Dragon Boy

               With unsure steps he approached the ruined buildings from which he could hear voices. Every now and then he looked around, warily, hoping that nothing would jump on him. He threaded lightly, avoiding anything that might break under his feet. As he neared the lit from fire ruin he bit his lower lip nervously.

               Yifan leaned against the wall and started listening to what the others were saying. They were talking quietly and he had a hard time catching their muffled words. The boy narrowed his eyes and with a few light steps he neared the trashed window, carefully peeking through it. He put an extra effort not to touch the crumbling wall, afraid that the noise might draw attention. What he saw took him aback. The two kids were tied up to an old support column. They were very young. One of them was a boy, maybe thirteen or fourteen years old, dressed in ragged clothes. The other child was a girl, maybe around eight years old. She was dressed in a pink dress, ripped in several places, stained with dust. The little lady was crying silently with head held low, while the boy had furrowed his eyebrows and every now and then gave the restraining ropes a thug, hoping that he'd break free.

               It was clearly visible that their clothes were in that state because of recent events. This both worried and soothed the dragon as this meant several things for him. It troubled him because this meant that the men were cruel and ruthless. It cheered him as this meant that someone somewhere was making these clothes…

               Kris looked at the three men who were talking among each other and eating something crispy, which they had just taken off the fire. The men were dressed in something which resembled armour. It was tattered and there were many scratches on the different segments, traces of battles, shootings and fights with beasts. They also had weapons by their side; guns, several knives and a machete. The three elders were ignoring the two children completely, enjoying their meal. Yifan could hear the kids' stomachs, rumbling from hunger, and he frowned. How could someone be so cold-hearted towards children?!

               The dragon boy finally managed to catch their words and started working out their meaning. It was Chinese but it was…different. They had an accent of some sort and some of the words he couldn’t understand completely. He perked his ears and started working out all the different things which he couldn’t grasp completely.

               “…that guaiwu sure makes good stuffing for the stomach!” One of them said and bit off his food, chewing audibly.

               “The zhangyu ain’t half bad either!” The second replied. The one who looked like their leader scoffed and tossed his meat back in his plate. "You just need to skin them carefully and then..." He hummed with delight. "A pure delicacy of old!"

               “When we take the ransom for those brats here, we’ll eat like gods for life! We’ll show that “King” who’s the real ruler here!” He smirked and spat on the ground.

               Yifan gritted his teeth and moved away from the window, remaining next to the wall. So these men had kidnapped the kids! And they were going to trade them in for…riches no doubt. It was all just like in all those books that he had read! He got flushed with anger, an emotion that he hadn’t experienced in…decades!

               “Yeah. That retard, thinking he’s all invincible with his people in that old scrapyard he calls a fort!” The others laughed. Kris’ eyes jolted towards the broken window. “Ha!”

               “Let us go! NOW!” The boy yelled.

               “Shut it you little guaiwu!” The leader’s voice came, hissing at the child. “Or do you want to be eaten by the fenhuang?!”

               “I don’t CARE!” The boy yelled again, angrily and Kris heard as he started thrashing around vigorously.

               “You little brat!” One of the men said and steps came from the other side of the wall. Kris heard a loud slap. “You behave yourself! Or we’ll be sending your daddy your pretty little heads!”

               Yifan’s eyes widened. He immediately started stepping away, back to the square. He was confused, he was scared, he was irked…how could people still treat each other like that in a world, filled with monsters and horrors? In such a world of few! He reached his destination and sat down on a rock, burring his hands in his blond hair. He had to do something. He needed to save the little kids from those vile men. But how? What could he do? They had guns and if he tried anything they’d just shoot.

               He covered his face with his palms, sighing deeply. He felt helpless, he felt useless…How could he not be able to assist those two innocent beings? The dragon boy looked around and clutched his fists. He had to do something, and fast!

               The boy started taking off his clothes and packing them. He transformed into a dragon and looked around with his much superior eyesight and scanned the surroundings, then listened for any strange noises; everything was calm. Everything apart from his racing heart, beating with fire deep within him. He had never done anything like this before and it was both exciting and scary for him. He hooked his backpack on one of his crooked claws and started walking as silently as he could back towards the ruined house. The men were still talking and eating.

               Yifan needed to do this just perfectly. He needed to look menacing, he needed to look overpowering, he needed to scare them off without harming anyone. He could never bring himself to harm another, not even these men. He was relying vastly on striking fear in the men, and hoping that they will have fast reflexes…

               “…and then I told the old geezer…” He giggled in muffled laughter. “…that I had never seen his daughter! Or son!” He tried to muffle his amusement as the others sneered too. The dragon slowly craned his head above the ruined wall and turned it on one side. He glared at the men with one eye, piercing them with the red light, coming from it. The marauder that was facing him froze in his place, turning pale. The others were still chuckling, not aware of the giant beast behind them.

               “What’s the matter Yal? D’ya see a ghost?” The leader asked and turned around still laughing. Kris turned his head and huffed loudly towards them, bringing dust up from the strong gush of air. The third man and the kids also looked towards the black monstrosity, fear seeping in them, stiffing them up.

               Yifan bare his teeth in the moonlight and growled in a low but shaky tone. He started moving towards them slowly. He clutched the wall with one claw and tore it down, towards himself, making a cloud of dust and a lot of noise in the process. His red eyes burned through the bandits and they started crawling back as the sense of impending doom struck them. The dragon opened his maw and quickly snapped towards one of the men, just as he jumped a good meter back. Kris’ heart was pounding fast, it was a close call. He was glad that they couldn’t read the distress that he was in.

               The dragon roared deafeningly and bashed at the wall, bringing it down over the fire and the food. The leader took his gun and started shooting at the beast, the bullets ricocheting from the thick, black scales. With slow moves and strong stomps, the dragon started snaking his way to the others and the two subordinate men started running for their lives. The leader lowered his gun, stepping back little by little. Yifan lifted his tail threateningly and prepared to smash the ground there the other was. The man saw that and bolted after the other two just as the tail slammed the ground, making pebbles and debris jump from the impact. The dragon traced the man with his eyes and then turned his attention towards the children.

               They looked like they were going to faint. They were crying sour tears and the boy was shivering, eyes pinned at the dragon, trying to contain his fear, as he knew that this was their end. Yifan stretched his neck upward and released a bellowing roar, making sure that the men wouldn’t come back, and that nothing else would dare near him. To his dismay several ghastly wails came from around. He had awoken something. They needed to get away now.

               The dragon carefully ripped the ropes tying the kids to the support beam and before they could flee he gently wrapped his tail around them, taking as much care as he could to leave them unharmed. The boy was hitting the tail with his fists, trying to break free from the dragon’s tight grip.

               “Let go! LET GO! LET GO! Guaiwu! GUAIWU!” He yelled and squirmed as the girl buried her face in his shoulder, crying silently.

               Yifan’s heart beat with pain as he had no way of telling them that he meant no harm, that he was here only to help them, to save them. He took a deep breath and lifted off judiciously. The dragon turned back, towards his island, to the south-east. He couldn’t risk landing anywhere; the kids might try running away or stumbling into another monster. His island was safe and Jiquiren would be there, making sure that all was fine…

 

               The flight was long. Too long for Kris’ liking. He flew carefully and slowly, realizing that the wind might freeze the little ones. He glanced at them and saw how had fallen asleep from exhaustion. He took this opportunity to stop, landing in the middle of a parched plain. He let them go and looked around carefully. Everything was calm and quiet. The dawn was going to break soon and he was tired, but couldn’t fall asleep. Yifan had to keep watch over the two children. They were his responsibility now and he couldn’t let anything happen to them.

               He transformed back into a human and slipped his silken pants up, leaving his upper body bare to the dry wind, in case he needed to gain his wings in an emergency. He walked towards the kids, taking their cold hands in his own; they were shivering from cold and this worried the dragon boy. How could he heat them up? He opened his bag and took out all the cloth that he had, covering them carefully, tugging them, hoping that it wasn’t too late for this much needed break and warmth. The little girl snuggled into the boy, who hugged her. This warmed the dragon’s heart and he smiled, they were going to be fine now. He caressed them and stood up. He had forgotten the feeling of doing good, and it revived his lonely soul, it gave him something which he had craved for so long: a goal, someone to enlighten, someone to keep safe from the horrors of the world. And the kids would lead him to more people, individuals that he could help in any way that he could.

               Tears filled his dark eyes as the sun’s red light spilled over them. A light wind brushed the dead grass and waved it. The dragon sat against the kids, not taking his eyes from them. He kept listening carefully to the world around, taking all the precautions that he could to be alert. Sleep was heavy on him, but he couldn’t dare; if the kids woke up before him, they would run; if something came for them, they would die. He couldn’t put in jeopardy anyone.

               The sun slowly crawled up the sky, as the kids calmed their shivering and went on sleeping peacefully. The man kept his watch, not letting down his guard. He couldn’t fail to sleep and exhaustion, not now. He reached for his bag and looked in it. There, he had a small container with chocolate. He looked at it, then at the kids. They would need it more than he does now. He placed it next to the bag and took out some water. He took a few sips and also left it in the sun. He took some dried fruits and started eating; he knew that the sugar in them would lift him up enough…

 

               At noon he saw that the boy shuffled under the covers. Yifan got up on his legs, and looked around quickly. He went to the little kids and squatted next to the awakening one, smiling with a hint of concern. The little boy opened his bright blue eyes and he immediately saw the blond one, next to him, looking with care and distress at him. Their eyes crossed and they both remained frozen, not sure what to do.

               “W-who are you?” The boy shuddered.

               “I am…Wu Yifan.” The man replied, a bit unsurely, rubbing his hands in worry.

               “Where is the guaiwu?”

               “Guaiwu?”

               “Yes…the big black g-guaiwu that took us away…” The boy said, shuddering a little.

               “Ah…” Kris replied and swallowed, not sure how to answer that. “I am the…guaiwu.” The boy turned a bit pale and pulled the covers over his nose.

               “D-don’t eat us…please…” He pleaded with fear in his bright eyes. Kris smiled involuntarily and reached his hand to caress him but the boy shuffled back. Yifan bit his lip and slowly pulled his hand back to himself.

               “Don’t worry. I won’t.” He soothed him. “I saved you from those marauders, why would I eat you?” He tilted his head lightly and smiled, warmly.

               “W-where are you taking us?” He asked.

               “I have a castle. A big castle. I am taking you there.” The dragon replied and sat more comfortably next to the other; the boy slowly started going out from his cocoon.

               “A…are you a King?”

               “A King? No. I am just a lonely…” His words drifted away as he looked into the yonder. “…guaiwu.” His dark eyes met the boy’s again and smiled.

               “Then how do you have a castle? You must be a King!” The boy stated and pouted. “And you don’t look like any guaiwu!” The dragon smiled and ruffled his hair.

               “Mmm…Brother?” The little girl woke up and rubbed her eyes. The boy looked at her and hugged her warmly. “Where are we? Are we dead?”

               “Not yet, little sis. Not yet.” He replied and they both looked at the strong blond man.

               “Who is he?” She asked and cuddled next to the boy, her eyes looking at the older man, a bit scolding, a bit fearful.

               “Wu Yifan…the flying guaiwo.” He replied and looked at her. “He has a castle!”

               “A castle!?” Her large, shining blue eyes sparkled in the sun and looked at the dragon.

               “Do you want to see it, little princess?” Yifan asked, warmed up from the affection and care that he just saw. The girl nodded.

               “Where is it?” She asked with lively tones in her voice.

               “In the sea.” The dragon replied and gave her a lenient crescent smile. The girl gasped.

               “I have never seen…the sea!” She exclaimed and looked at her brother. Yifan could see the unhidden interest in his eyes, mixed with worry. Could he trust that blond man? Was he really a guaiwu? He seemed so kind. "Let's go see the sea, brother!" She said and pulled his sleeve, looking at him with her innocent eyes.

               "I mean you no harm." The dragon said reassuringly. "I just want to help you."

               "Will you take us to our father, after that?" He asked and looked judgingly at the other, whose eyes lit up with joy and sincere happiness.

               "But of course!" He replied. "You will just have to guide me to your father's castle!"

               "And how are we going to get...to the sea?" He inquired, still feeling a little worried.

               "I will turn into a dragon again, and I will fly you there, on my back!" Yifan said with rising excitement.

               The boy remained silent for a moment, looking at the clouds, wrapped in thought, his eyebrows furrowing little by little. Yifan waited with withheld breath, eager to hear the words of agreement coming from the small boy.

               "Let's go see the sea, little sis." He said and the girl cheered and hopped in one place with joy.

               Kris' elation was almost palpable. He stood up and walked to his bag. He picked up the small box of chocolates and the water then he turned around and handed them to the little ones. The kid's eyes widened from the treats, their hunger suddenly returning with great ferocity. The dragon boy watched them with a caring smile as they ate up. He gave them everything else that he had and patiently waited for them to finish eating.

               "Let's go!" The brother said and looked at the older man with a smile. Kris knew that he had earned their trust now, and this made it much, much easier for him.

               Yifan shined his smile at them and stood up. The kids followed his every move carefully. He packed everything in the bag and looked at them. His heart was beating with thrill. He couldn't really explain why he felt so happy from helping, but he knew that there was no greater joy but kindness.

               "I want you to turn around while I turn into a dragon." He asked and they complied. The little boy held his sister by the shoulder, their backs towards the blond man. "When I shape shift, climb on my back and hold tight!"

               "Mm!" The boy acknowledged.

               Yifan quickly slipped his pants away and tugged them in the bag, zipping it. He quickly let the transformation take place. His majestic black wings shadowed the sun; his shiny scales glistered in the light. The dragon looked nothing like the dreadful guaiwu from last night. He looked magnificent, calm. As if he was a guardian. The sun was hidden behind his scaly head and made him look surreal in the blinding light. The children turned around, noticing the change, gasping at the sight before their eyes. They stood still before the dragon, admiring it with fear and sincere amazement.

               With careful steps he approached them. The little girl gasped and carefully approached the silent colossus. His red eyes followed her and he stood silent and steady. The little hands touched his scaly claws and caressed the dragon.

               "Whoa..." She said and looked at her brother with a wide smile. The boy approached Yifan as well, a bit unsurely but the curiosity was too strong. The dragon lowered his head and allowed for the two siblings to climb on his back.

               The boy helped his sister up and she clutched at the strong scales, climbing them with ease. He followed her and they settled between the dragon's wings. It was now when the boy understood how big the flying serpent was. The head alone was bigger than his sister! The wings span wider than anything he had ever seen in his life. And the tail…it was just as wonderful.

               Yifan spread his pinions and started flapping them slowly. He had never carried anyone before and he was afraid of making any sudden movements, which would throw off the kids. His gentle lift off had the siblings gasping and aweing as they looked down towards the ground, which moved away from them.

               Kris started moving forward and accelerating towards the sky. He kept his ears perked in case something happened, but the kids were silent, holding their grip and narrowing their eyes because of the dry wind in their faces. He aimed towards their destination and with fluid swings of his wings, he carried on forward.

               The hours passed like that smoothly. They went over the ruined city and Yifan glanced at the food posts down below. But yet again, the nutritious supplies were un touched. The two kids were amazed from the sight and inhaled with excitement. The girl pointed at different things and shouted to her brother with unhidden fascination. Kris felt happy once again.

               The sea span before them and he heard the two innocent creatures on his back "ah" and "oh" from the view. He started gliding silently though the air, bathing in his own merriment, glad and pleased with himself and what he did.

               Soon his castle island appeared from the sea and he started descending towards it. The kids leaned to get a better view at the magnificent and colourful structure before them. The sun was bathing it in its light, making it vivid and magical; the wind was waving the numerous elegantly tailored flags; numerous of plants and flowers hanged from terraces and windows blooming in the fresh sea breeze.

               Yifan made a large circle around the castle, knowing that the children would like this, smiling to himself as he heard them exclaiming with astonishment once more. Bliss. Pure joy! He roared in the sky and descended towards one of the platforms where he saw Jiquiren walking slowly and swaying left and right.

               The dragon landed carefully and let the children get off. Their little hearts were beating fast with excitement, their eyes not parting from the amazing structure before them. They didn’t even notice as the dragon lifted off again and disappeared behind the structure.

               The little boy’s attention was dragged by the robot and he looked at it, stepping a bit back.

               “Do not be afraid, little boy. I am Jiquiren, creation of Wu Yifan, the dragon that just brought you here.” The machine said with its mechanical voice. It stopped a few meters away from the two and gently bowed, in its stiff manner. “I see that he has found what he has been looking for all these years. People. Living people.”

               “Y-yes…” The boy stammered. “He s-saved us from some b-bandits…”

               “This is very nice of him.” The robot replied with a slightly pleased tone.

               “What a-are you?” The girl asked as she held her brother’s hand.

               “I am a robot. A thinking machine.” Jiquiren responded. “I am built from metal, wires and electronic printed-circuit cards.” He turned his head towards the castle, not acknowledging the fact that the kids probably only knew what metal was. “When Yifan is gone, on his long flights across the world, I watch out for everything in the castle. I am a butler.” He turned mechanically towards the two. “I water the flowers, I pick the fruits, I dust and keep the other machines working. I am a florist, a mechanic, a cleaner. I was also, Kris’ only companion until now.”

               Steps came from behind them and the three turned towards the door. Yifan appeared, dressed in his warm red, silken Chinese robes with golden embroidery. The garment was weaving behind him and gave the man a magical appeal. He had a sincere, broad smile, revealing his white teeth. He looked elated, almost hovering above the ground, as he neared them. He took his hands in each other before himself and lightly bowed.

               “Welcome to my castle.” He welcomed the two kids. “And hello, Jiquiren.” He greeted his robot, which bowed back in response.

               “Greetings. Everything is fine, Yifan. Nothing happened in your absence.”

               “Good, good.” He nodded and glanced at the kids. “Come now, follow me, I want to show you so much! I want to ask you so many questions!” He said and gestured towards the wooden structure’s entrance. The two hesitantly went in after him, Jiquiren shaking wobbling behind them, as he followed as well.

               Yifan showed them everything that he had! Cheered, happy, overjoyed! These were just a few of the emotions that he experienced from the fact that he could share his vast skills and knowledge with someone. The two siblings had never seen or dreamt of something as beautiful as this, something as vast, vibrant, vivid and wonderful as this palace and its many wonders! They had dinner together, eating foods that they didn’t know that existed, dishes which they had never heard of; they tasted textures and flavours that made them feel better than anything else.

               The next days they spent in the castle; the dragon boy was looking after the kids, unable to manage the joy that he experienced from interacting with other people, individuals who were kind hearted and good willing just like him! He seamstered clothes for them from the silk which he made himself during the long solitude.

               As almost a week passed they were standing on the veranda, overlooking the sea, as the sun shined its warm rays over them.

               “Yifan?” The girl pulled his robes gently and he looked at her with a smile.

               “Yes, little princess?”

               “When can we go to daddy?” She asked and he saw longing in her bright glassy eyes. The dragon boy smiled and caressed her.

               “Whenever you want.” He squatted before her and she hugged him.

               “You are no guaiwo! You are the best dragon ever!” She said in her squeeze. Kris’ heart skipped a beat. He felt appreciated and this was yet another long forgotten emotion. Tears started filling his eyes, without breaching down.

               “We can leave tomorrow morning, if you want.” He said and looked at the boy, who was holding to the railing and watching them. “I will gladly pack anything that you want to take back. I will lead you all the way, and all you need to do is guide me.”

               “Mm.” The boy replied and nodded his head.

               “Do you know how to get to your father, the King, from the ruined town from which I picked you?” Kris asked and the other nodded again. Yifan released the girl from the hug, as she pulled back. “What do you want me to prepare for you? Clothes? Food? Tools? Books?” He asked and stood up.

               “Tools, clothes…and food.” The boy answered calmly and hugged the taller man too. “No one knows how to read in our Castle…Dad says that no one knows how to read anywhere.” He said with drifting voice. Yifan’s eyes widened a little from this. No one could read? This was…so sad. This was such a loss…

               “When we get there…I can teach you all to read. In any language!” He paused briefly and looked down towards the boy. “Will your father accept me among your friends and people?” He asked and looked down. The boy nodded.

               “There are other languages?” The little princess asked.

               “Yes. Hundreds of languages…that once used to exist.” He sighed. “I wonder…how many of them have still survived…” The girl seemed amazed once more, but Kris was used to surprising the little siblings and caressed the girl.

               Kris paced back inside and felt a new emotion…fear…of loss. He walked into his chambers and leaned against the wall, breathing a bit unevenly. Why was this emotion here? What was he afraid of losing? The kids? No. He was going to be with them, with their father, the King. He dragged his hand along the soft carpet, hanging from the wall. This was what he was going to miss. His castle.

               This emotion was hard to cope with. He knew that he had to leave with the kids, it was the right thing. He would help countless others, he would be able to restore the world, he would be a force of good in this cruel domain…yet he understood, he felt it deep in his heart, that he was going to miss his castle, he was going to miss his lush gardens, the colourful ribbons that span everywhere, the flowers, the machines that he built…Jiquiren.

 

               It was late in the night, the kids were sleeping soundly and Yifan was down in the electronics cave with his robot.

               “I understand.” The machine said with a calm voice. “You need not worry yourself over me. I can always shut down if I am lonely, for a while.”

               “I don’t want you to be alone, Jiquiren. No one deserves to be alone.” He said and turned towards the drawers, rummaging in them, looking for different items. “I will come every now and then; after all, I will need to take some things from here after all. Tools, books, cloth, seeds.” He took out some old dusty circuit boards and looked at them in the light.

               “I will have everything prepared for each return.” The automaton said with reassuring tone.

               “Thank you, Jiquiren.” Kris looked at the machine’s cold eyes, happy to see that the robot had learned something new. “Even so, I want to make a companion for you. I want to teach you how to create more friends, how to…repair yourself.” He started taking out different items again, inspecting them. “Nothing is eternal, my friend. Everything ends.” He paused for a moment and then looked at the other. “Even I will end someday.”

               “You will never end, Wu Yifan. You are a dragon. A guardian.” The robot objected and the man smiled at that.

               “I will leave some books for you to learn. Electronics, circuitry, mechanics, hydraulics, robotics.” He opened a cabinet and pulled some books from there. He blew at them, causing a small cloud of dust to fly off them. He brushed them with his hand and handed them to the automaton. The robotic hand gently took them and the covers.

               “I greatly appreciate that.”

               “One day, Jiquiren, there will be more of you. And you will be stronger and you will be intelligent. More than you are now. I dream of that day, my dear friend, as you will venture into the world, looking for others, just like I do, helping the people with good intentions.” He talked, inspiring the machine and himself with his word. “I fear though…that the people might not understand you…that they might try to harm you…”

               “I will never harm another human being, Yifan.” He replied sternly.

               “I know…but the disappointment…it will not be easy.” He said and swallowed, he knew that he had a hard time before himself, and he knew that he needed to brace himself for the hardship to come.

               “You should rest now, Kris. In the morning you will have a long flight.” The robot said and the man nodded.

               “I bid you good night, Jiquiren. We will see each other in the morning.” He bowed lightly and the machine replied with the same gesture. The dragon boy walked back up, past the gardens and the beautiful fish, listening to the soothing noise of falling water. He had a lot to do once he returned the kids to where they belonged.

 

               The sun was spreading its warm touch over the sea. The kids were standing on the veranda, dressed warmly, in thick yet elegant clothes, and with a backpack on their backs. Jiquiren was also with them as they waited for the dragon to come. There was a large net with many items packed neatly in it. This was going to be the first set of things which Yifan was going to take, in his quest to help.

               The dragon appeared from behind the castle and with a large arch he approached them, landing next to the others. The kids climbed on his back and gripped the scales firmly.

               “You need only say which way to turn for Kris to know where to go.” The automaton said and the boy nodded. “He will take you to the ruins, from there on, you must be the guide.”

               Kris spread his wings and roared, ready to take off the wooden terrace.

               “Be careful, little ones.” The robot said sincerely.

               “Good bye, Jiquiren!” The girl waved at him and smiled. The machine waved back and the dragon swung with his wings, lifting off gracefully. He gripped the net with his claws and started ascending.

               His heart was beating with anticipation of what was to happen. Yifan was unsure how the other people would react, how the people of today lived, dreamed, what they hoped for, what they feared and yearned for. He wondered if they would be able to learn everything. He started dividing all the things, which he had to teach to the people, in his mind so as to also educate them of what specialization was. He had no doubts that they knew this but it was a key element for any society and he needed to make sure that it was known.

               He went above the scattered clouds and with a steady pace headed back from where he picked the little kids up. They were holding each other firmly to the scales and the base of the wings, as they looked down towards the white fluffy clouds and the distant brown earth. The dragon didn’t feel how time passed, as he was wrapped in his musing thoughts. The little boy’s voice startled him a little bit and he focused on the world around.

               “We must go left, Yifan.” He shouted and the dragon responded immediately, making a smooth turn. He saw the ruined town bellow them and then looked forward. Little by little he started descending, looking carefully at what was below. There was a trail along the dusty ground. By the looks of it, once that must have been a highway. “Follow the path.”

               The dragon hummed in response and went on with his smooth flight above the parched world. He made several turns and the rolling hills fast turned into mountain slopes. Their goal soon came into sight but something was amiss. The girl took a deep breath and whimpered. Did something happen?

               “Oh no!” Her brother’s voice reached the dragon’s ears. “The marauders are attacking the castle!” He said and stood up, trying to get a better view. Yifan narrowed his eyes and peered into the distance with distress. This was not good.

               He could see cars and other machines circling the large metallic structure that was built up from rusty scrap metals. Gunshots echoed through the slopes, coupled with the deviously roaring engines. The dragon’s heart shrunk. What if his actions were the cause of that? He saw a small building next to the deserted road and spiralled down towards it. He landed gracefully and the kids went off. He took his backpack, which was hanging on the side of the net, and jumped off, landing on the ground. He transformed back into human and hastily walked into the building. He wrapped a large piece of cloth around his waist and jumped out once more. With a few swift moves he was back on the roof.

               “Yifan!” The girl turned towards him with watery eyes.

               “Don’t worry, little princess.” He reassured her and squatted next to her, caressing her shining hair. “I will go and scare them off.” He said and caressed her then his eyes shifted towards the boy. “Stay here on the roof, you will be safe from anything that may want to harm you.” He spoke fast as he knew that he had little time to spare. “I will go and I will make them all go away.”

               The little boy nodded and sat next to his sister, hugging her reassuringly. She clutched into him and tears rolled down her eyes. Yifan felt a pang in his chest and winced. He couldn’t stand looking at such an innocent being crying. She did not deserve that.

               He looked at the direction of the castle and gritted his teeth. He was going to scare the life out of the bandits! How could they do this?! Who did they think they were? With shivering hand he jumped back down and tossed the silken cloth away. He focused his mind and started transforming once again. This time however, it was going to be a different transformation. He put all his wit and skills into it, turning into a far greater dragon, immensely larger and elegantly looking than before.

               His black body was longer, his wings span greater distance than ever in the past, his maw grew out and he snapped. Yifan shook his head and started charging forward, along the dusty highway. He spread his massive wings, blocking the sun over a large area. He bashed with them and lifted off. He could feel how much heavier he was, and knew that now he needed to put a really good scare show.

 

               NOTE: And here is another chapter ^_^ I feel very happy with this one, as I think I achieved a level of detail and story progression which I am very pleased with. However I must apologize, for I will not be able to finish this fic and another by the end of the year. A lot of work came up for me and I had little time to write, despite the fact that I have been thinking quite a lot over the next two fics and what I want to keep in them.

               Currently I am reading fics a lot, learning new words and preparing my vocabulary and gathering ides (which doesn’t mean that I will be plagiarizing, I normally notice small things and keep to them, normally details). The creative process is not something which goes down smoothly all the time. One more chapter to go >^_^<

               Cheers all and happy celebrations for the New Year’s Eve!