Chapter 1: Bizarre Birth

The Light in the Darkness: A Phantom Backstory

Chapter 1

Bizarre Birth

                I don’t understand why people are scared of death. Sure, sometimes dying can be painful, but death itself is painless. You hardly feel anything when you pass on to the next life.

                No, it’s being born that people should be scared of. Think about it: you’re peacefully sleeping in a squishy, comfy room, when all of a sudden you’re being forced through an extremely small tunnel that constricts you to where you can’t move a tiny muscle. You just have to suffer from all the pressure until the contractions finally push you to the blinding hospital lights.

                And the noise. Oh, the noise is absolutely awful! Not only are the doctors and nurses screaming their heads off giving orders, but your own mother, whom you’ve grown quite close to for the last 9 months, is bellowing in pain as she goes through natural childbirth. It just breaks your little heart to hear her in such agony!

                Let’s not forget the hands. The doctor forcefully pulls you out of the tunnel with his cold, sanitized gloves. It’s not pleasant, especially after being used to a constant warm internal temperature in the womb. Not to mention at that point, the only hands you want touching you is your Mommy. But no, they take you away from Mother, who’s still screaming, and wash the blood off of you with freezing water while you’re still trying to learn how to breathe.

                I’m telling you, it’s frightening.

                To be honest though, it’s all worth it when they finally wrap you up in the warm blanket and place you in Mommy’s arms. Her bright, warm smile comforts you as she welcomes you into the world. Just as mine did.

                “Hello sweetie!” she cooed as she cradled me on the hospital bed. “I’m your Mommy.”

                Of course, I already knew that. How could I forget her lovely voice after hearing it for so long? How could I forget all those times she tried to calm me down when I got fussy and kicked in her stomach? How could I forget all those nights she sang me to sleep? I fell in love with her voice, and now I was able to fall in love with her face as I stared at her with wide eyes.

                I knew I had seen her before when I was still a spirit, but it had been so long ago, that I had almost forgotten what she looked like. I desperately wanted to kiss her like I did as a spirit, but I couldn’t because my newborn body was too weak. However, that didn’t stop me from being in absolute bliss as I reveled in her embrace.

                And he had to ruin it.

                Uncle Joon was standing right beside the bed, smiling at us in joy as his sister cuddled his new nephew.

                “He’s beautiful Sora.” He whispered.

                Mother smiled at him. “You want to meet him, Joon?”

                He smiled as he held out his hands. Mother slowly placed me into his arms while I tried to squirm in protest, but again, I was too weak to actually do so. Uncle Joon cradled me in his arms uncertainly.

                “Hello.” He whispered softly. “I’m your Uncle Joon.”

                Don’t get me wrong, Uncle Joon was being very nice, and I should have been happy. Unfortunately, at that point and time I just wanted to be back in Mother’s arms, and I began to get grumpy.

                “What are you naming him Sora?” Uncle Joon asked, oblivious to my mood.

                “Ryeowook.” She said simply. “Kim Ryeowook.”

                Ryeowook. As soon as I heard that name, my spirit was filled with joy. Deep down inside, I knew that was what I was waiting for all along: a name. And a very nice one at that. I liked how it sounded.

                However, despite the joy of finally receiving a name, I instantly because upset once more as Joon rubbed my back gently.

                “Ryeowook,” he whispered. “Yes, that’s a good name.” he mused, but I could tell he secretly didn’t like it.

                I was suddenly filled with childish rage. How dare he? How dare he not like the name my own mother gave me? There was nothing wrong with it! There was NOTHING WRONG!

                As soon as those thoughts went through my mind, I felt a strong energy emit from my being. All of a sudden, Joon’s eyes became wide with panic, and he abruptly dropped me.  Thankfully a nurse caught me just before I could hit the ground.

                “JOON!” Mom screamed in terror. “Why did you ju-“

                “Did you see that?” Joon screamed as he pointed frantically towards me as the nurse made sure I was ok. “Please tell me you saw that!”

                “Joon, you can’t just-!” Mom started until she was interrupted by the nurse’s scream as she looked closely upon my face.

                “D-d-doctor!” the nurse stuttered. “Something’s wrong with this child’s eyes!”

                Uncle Joon got to me before the doctor could and hurriedly took me to Mom’s bedside.

                “Look! I’m not crazy!” he screamed as he nearly dropped me again into Mom’s lap.

                Mother looked at me intently before her face contorted into shock.

                “Are his eyes… GLOWING?” she muttered in disbelief.

                That’s right. I had been on this Earth for less than an hour, and I was already exhibiting signs that I was a spirit being. Later in life, I figured out that my eyes glow a luminescent blue when I get extremely upset. Of course, I can completely control it now. But back when I was a newborn? Not so much.

                “He’s a demon child!” Joon started yelling frantically. “It’s not right Sora! He’s a freak!”

                “I DON’T CARE!” Sora screamed back, tears in her eyes. “He’s my son! I don’t care if his eyes glow! He’s not a freak!” her voice got quiet as she looked at me lovingly. “He’s mine. And I love him.”

                The happiness that consumed me from those simple words made my eyes slowly fade back to my normal brown. I was so happy that I hardly remember the events that followed even to this day. Those memories are all a blur, from the doctor examining me, to the nurses ensuring my mom and Joon that nothing was wrong with me and that the glowing was probably just a trick of the light. Of course, Joon didn’t believe a word of it. In his mind, I was permanently an outcast. A freak show. A spawn of the devil.

Although I knew of these negative thoughts, I didn’t let it phase me as Mother finally carried me with care out of the hospital doors after hours of clean up and such. I felt so at ease that I didn’t notice the small silver bird perched on the tree just across the street. She looked at me as a smile formed on her small beak.

Welcome to the world spirit child.” She thought. “I wish you luck on your journey through life.”

She watched as Mother got into Joon’s car with me in tow, safely in her arms.

Until we finally meet, I’ll be watching. Always watching.” With that, the bird finally spread its wings and took flight to the nearby forest.

And so, my life had officially begun, and I was happy. But if the events at the hospital were any indication of how the rest of life would turn out, maybe I wouldn’t have been.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm back!... Again. Haha! Yeah, college just started and I've been busy with that. I know, excuses, excuses.

Anyway, I hoped you enjoyed this brand-spanking new chapter. More spirit wierdness to come ;) Please comment and subcribe if you have not done so, and thanks to the ones who have already done so ^^

Justjoking<3