Prologue: My Journey Begins

The Light in the Darkness: A Phantom Backstory

Prologue

My Journey Begins

                It was a gloomy, dark night when my uncle heard a knock on his door. I remember it like it was yesterday. The wooden house was very shabby, and it looked like it would fall off of its shaky foundation any second. My mother was breathing heavy, not sure what to do. She held on to her stomach, like she was protecting someone inside her. My uncle huffed in aggravation, wondering who would disturb him at such a late hour. When he opened the door to see Mother, however, his annoyed expression softened. He loved his sister dearly, so he ushered her in, worried because of her desperate countenance.

                “What’s the matter Sora?” he asked, holding Mom’s hand as he gently sat next to her on the ragged couch. She kept her eyes to the ground.

                “Promise you won’t get mad.” She whispered.

                “Sora, please, tell me-“

                “Promise me Joon!” she suddenly exclaimed, looking into her older brother’s eyes with fear.

                Knowing how fragile and gentle his sister was, Uncle Joon tenderly took my mother’s face into his hands.

                “I promise Sora, I will not get mad. Whatever’s going on, we will handle together.” He assured as he folded Sora into his embrace.

                She stayed in Uncle’s arms for a while before she finally nodded and looked him straight in the face.

                “I’m pregnant.” She stated simply before she turned her eyes to the ground once more.

                This statement left Uncle Joon in shock.

                “Pre-pregnant?!” he exclaimed. “When did this happen? Who’s the father? Why-“

                “It’s his child.” Sora interrupted.

                Uncle’s eyes widened, and then suddenly went cold.

                “Who’s child Sora?” he asked with a dangerous tone.

                “Joon, you promis-“

                “WHO’S CHILD?!” he screamed, grabbing Sora by the collar of her white, silk dress.

                “Mr. Unknown! It’s Mr. Unknown’s child!” Sora sobbed, frightened by her brother’s reaction.

                At that moment, a mix of emotions flirted upon Uncle’s face. First shock, then anger, and finally, with some calming techniques he learned from his therapist, he was able to muster a neutral expression. Slowly, he let go of Mom’s collar and sunk down into the couch. He sighed deeply and massaged the bridge of his nose.

                “Didn’t I tell you to stay away from him? He’s a creep.” He said sternly as Sora shakily sat back down as well.

                “Yes Joon, you did.” She whispered, not daring to look into his face.

                “Then why did you disobey me?” he asked looking at Sora with disappointment.

                “Because he was so kind to me, and he said he loved me.” She replied with a soft smile.

                “Well of course he said that!” he shouted, wiping the smile from Mother’s face. “Don’t you get it? Men will say anything to make a woman do what he wants!”

                Mom didn’t answer. She just stayed silent, leaving Uncle Joon to let off his steam. They sat there for many minutes, but to me, it seemed like an eternity. I turned to the figure beside me and looked up into his golden eyes.

                “Why is he so mad Daddy?” I asked him, confused as to why my own Uncle would be upset that I was going to be born.

                My father smiled sadly and bent down to my level. He was significantly taller than I was. Of course, I was very small back then. I had just been conceived after all.

                “Well,” he started as he began to gently rub my head in affection, “Your Uncle is a creature of habit. He does not like it when something unexpected happens. He likes everything to go his way, and when things do not do so, he tends to explode in anger.”

                I frowned and turned my head, observing the man that was to be my uncle as he started to edge towards my mother. I started to panic.

                “He won’t hurt Mommy, will he Daddy?” I asked as I hugged him tight in fear.

                Father chuckled and lifted me up into his strong, warm arms.

                “Of course not my little one.” He whispered in my ear, “Though he may be angry with her, he will not cause her any harm. When it comes down to it, your uncle will love and protect his sister at any cost.”

                I nodded at my father’s words and leaned my head against his shoulder as I gazed at my mother. She was absolutely beautiful. Her brown hair cascaded down her shoulders in graceful waves, framing her pink cheeks that I desperately wanted to kiss. I suddenly had the urge to be with her. Forever.

                Father smiled and kissed my cheek.

                “Here, I’ll let you sit next to her.” He said as he carried me to the couch.

                He sat me down right beside Mother, and I immediately climbed into her lap. I waited for her to acknowledge me, but she never did.

                “She can’t see you son,” Daddy said as he settled himself next to the still fuming Uncle Joon, “Remember, you’re still a spirit. You haven’t been born yet.”

                My shoulders slumped in disappointment, but I gave her a gentle kiss on Mom’s cheek anyway. I settled by head against her bosom as Uncle began to speak again.

                “So, where is Mr. Unknown?” he quietly asked.

                Mom took her time answering. “I don’t know Joon.”

                Joon rolled his eyes. “Oh, so he left you? That’s great, he has with my sister, and then he just deserts you and the baby. And we don’t even know his name-“

                “He didn’t leave.” Mom interrupted. “He kinda just…. Vanished.”

                “Sora, that’s the same thing as leaving!”

                “No, I mean,” Mother muttered, squirming in the couch nervously. “He literally vanished. Like, he disappeared in a beam of light.”

                This statement was met with silence from Uncle Joon. He just sat there with dumbfounded expression. After a few minutes, he stood up without a sound and walked to his coat rack.

                “Where are you going?” Mom asked as Uncle put on his coat.

                “I’m taking you to the hospital.” He answered sharply. “You’re obviously delusional.”

                “I’M NOT CRAZY JOON!” Mother suddenly screamed. Her sudden outburst scared me so much that I scrambled away from her and clung to Daddy’s pants leg. Father patted me on the head in comfort, as to say, ‘It’s ok, she didn’t mean to scare you.’

                “I’m telling you,” she continued, “He just disappeared. He told me tonight that he wasn’t what he thought he was. He said that he just recently realized that he was dead, and he hasn’t passed on yet. He was sorry that he had to leave me with a child but…” she trailed off as she saw her brother’s expression. Suddenly, she fell to the ground and burst into tears. “I’m not crazy Joon,” she sobbed, “I know I sound like it, but I’m not. I can’t be. It was all so real, but how can it be real? I just don’t know anymore. I-“ At that, Mom just stopped talking and continued to sob.

                Seeing my precious Mother break down like this, I immediately ran to her side and hugged her trembling form.

                “It’s ok Mommy.” I whispered in her ear. “I know you’re not crazy. I’ll protect you.”

                Father walked to Uncle’s side, who was frozen in shock at his sister’s condition.

                “Listen Joon,” Dad whispered in Uncle’s ear, “I know this is a lot to take in, but please, you have to take care of her. She can’t take care of a baby by herself. She needs you.”

                Uncle Joon couldn’t really hear Father, but I could tell that the words had an effect on him because his face suddenly softened. He slowly took off his jacket and inched towards Mom. He crouched down, put the jacket around her shoulders, and held her in his arms once more.

                “I’m sorry Sora.” He said gently, rubbing soothing circles on her back. “I shouldn’t have been so hard on you.”

                Mommy held on to Uncle’s neck as she continued to cry. “I’m scared Joon.” She sobbed.

                Joon looked into Mom’s chocolate brown eyes. “I know.” He said as he gently placed his hand on her stomach, where my body was starting to form. “But I’ll do everything I can to make all of this less scary. I’ll help raise the baby. He needs a father figure in his life.”

                I scrunched my face in confusion. “Father figure?” I looked towards my dad. “But I already have a father figure. You’re my father.”

                Daddy walked over to where I was still hugging Mother. He crouched down and put his hand against my shoulder.

                “Yes, I’m your father,” he smiled, “But once you are born, you won’t remember me. Not for a long time anyway.”

                My eyes widened in panic as I let go of Mother and collapsed into Daddy arms. Tears started to wet my cheeks.

                “But I don’t want to forget you Daddy!” I cried, “I love you, and I only just met you!”

                Dad wrapped me in his loving arms. “I love you too my little child.” He assured as he kissed the top of my head and wiped my tears away. “But it will be ok. You’ll have your Mother. And, yes,  I know Uncle Joon looks intimidating,”

                I turned towards Mom and Uncle again, and I saw Mother smiling as she hugged in brother in joy, who also had a gentle smile on his face.

                “But he will love you. Just as he loves Sora.”

                At this, I smiled. Maybe this life wouldn’t be so bad after all. After they hugged for a while, Mother and Uncle slowly stood up. Joon gently set her down on the couch and her hair.

                “I’m going to go get your things from your apartment.” He said, rubbing her stomach some more. “I’ll be back in a while. Meanwhile, try to get from sleep. You’ve had a long day.”

                Mother smiled and nodded. “Thank you so much Joon.” She whispered as she gave Uncle a quick peck on the cheek and laid herself down on the couch.

                Joon smiled gently. “It’s ok. That’s what brothers are for.” He got another coat from the rack and headed out the door, disappearing into the inky night.

                Mommy smiled as she settled into the couch and closed her eyes. She eventually fell into a gentle sleep, her tummy rising and falling with each breathe. Father began to gently lead me to my mother’s side, my eyes never leaving her tender stomach.

                “That’s where I’m going to sleep until I’m born, right Daddy?” I asked, pointing to the fleshy mound.

                “Yes son, you will live inside your mother until you’re ready to come into this life.”

                “And then I’ll finally have a name?” I asked excitedly, hardly containing my excitement. New spirits did not have names. You only received your name when you were born.

                Daddy chuckled at my child-like behavior and lightly patted my head. “That’s right, you’ll have a name.” Suddenly, he pulled me next to him and held me tightly. “But remember, no matter what name you receive, and no matter what happens, you will never be alone. You are a very special child. You’re going to have an amazing life my son.”

                I smiled at that news.

                “But your life won’t always be easy.” He continued. My smile disappeared. “There will be times when you will question your existence and who you are, but you must have the strength to persevere. I promise you, even in the darkest times, there will always be light.”

                With that, he took my head in his hands and gently kissed the place directly between my eyes. I giggled in delight as shivers of pure joy ran down my spine.

                “I love you.” He whispered.

                “I love you too. Oh, I do love you Daddy!” I exclaimed as I hugged him even tighter. He laughed with joy as lifting me into the air. I gently laid my head against his shoulder as he began to return me to my mother for the last time. As I looked around the room, a glimmer of silvery light caught my eye. Just outside the window on the opposite side of the room, a small, silver bird was perched against the window sill, staring at me in wonder. I stared back at it for a second, and then gave it a small wave. When I did so, the bird abruptly spread its wings and flew off into the night sky. I became a little sad at that point. It was so pretty. I wanted to play with it.

                Eventually, Dad arrived at Mother’s side and crouched down beside her sleeping body. I looked into her peaceful face as she dreamed.

                “She’s so pretty.” I giggled as Father positioned me on my back in his arms.

                “Yes she is child,” he smiled, glancing at his ex-lover, “She certainly is.”

                He started to lower me down near Mommy’s tummy. Just as I was about to touch her skin, Dad stopped and smiled at me for the last time. “Good luck my son. May we meet again soon.”

                With that, he carefully placed me inside Mommy, where I finally merged with my body.

                And that was the start of my journey as Kim Ryeowook.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woo hoo! First chapter up! :D

Hope you guys like the story so far! Please comment and subscribe! It really helps me with my motivation and stuff :)

~Justjoking <3