Blood

Last Summer

 

Two weeks later

It was finally the summer holidays. 3 months of not studying, life is bliss but wait, why is there an annoying bird pecking outside my windows?”

“Yoomi ah! Hurry wake up!!”

Wait… it can talk too?

I opened my eyes in confusion and turned towards the window just in time to see another rock pelting my window.

I opened my windows, only to see a grinning Hoya with another rock in his arm standing in front of my house.

“What the hell are you doing so early here?” I hissed.

His face frowned in confusion.

“Early? It’s already 7am. Come on down, we are late already!”

“7am? That’s freaking early! And what are we late for anyway?”

He pouted.

“Did you forget that you promised you would do my bucket list with me? And number 6 was to donate my blood. Please follow me. I am scared of needles.”

I smiled and sighed. “Then why did you include it in your bucket list then?”

“Because I have to face my fears one day. Now come on! We are almost late for our appointment with the doctors!”

I shook my head and then closed my windows before proceeding to change and then head down where my parents were having breakfast.

My parents were staring at me in shock as I wore my shoes.

“Where are you going Yoomi? It’s 7am and it’s the summer holidays!” My mom asked, shell-shocked.

I chuckled.

“I know Mom. But I promised my friend that I would do his bucket list with him and today we are going to be kind souls and donate our blood. We are going to be late so save me some breakfast when I come back.” I kissed my mom and dad on their cheeks and headed out.

I couldn’t find Hoya anymore as I turned left and right, searching for him.

“What the? Did he ditch me? Some kind of a friend…” I muttered under my breath.

“Talking behind my back?”

I turned around abruptly only to see Hoya holding two cups of coffee, smiling.

I smiled back and took one cup of coffee, muttering thanks.

‘I’ve checked- we are not allowed to have any food in the morning or else it might affect our blood donation so I just got you some coffee.”

“It’s fine. Come on, let’s go. Didn’t you say we were late?”

--

“Okay the results are out. Both your blood is ready for donation. Thank you so much for volunteering. Young people like you should volunteer more after all you guys are young so you will recover quickly after the blood donation.” The doctor said.

The doctor then led us both to two plushy arm-chairs and handed us two blankets. Then, the nurse came with two needles and two empty blood packets. It was then I noticed how pale Hoya became.

“You really were not kidding when you said you were scared of needles, were you?”

He scoffed and replied, “Who will kid about that?”

“You know the more I interact with you, the more you are becoming a baby.”

“Too bad because you are going to be stuck with me all summer.”

When the nurse came and asked, “Who will go first?”

Hoya eagerly pointed towards me.

“She! Ladies first, right?”

It was my time to scoff but I resisted a retort because I saw how terrified Hoya looked.

I extended my arm and watched as the needle poked through my skin. It stung at first but then, I got used to it and watched in fascination as my blood filled up the empty packet.

“Don’t move so much and I will come and collect it after 20 minutes.”

I nodded and turned towards Hoya. He couldn’t even look at me now as he was sweating profusely.

“Hey Hoya! Look at me. Come on, look at me. I’m not that ugly you know.”

Hoya slowly turned to look at me, only to burst into laughter seeing my cross-eyed, sticking out tongue face. He didn’t even notice the needle poking through his skin.

“You are really ugly you know.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah whatever. At least, I’ve distracted you. Look, the needle’s in already. Nothing to be afraid of, baby boy.”

Hoya stole a glance at the needle and nearly gagged. He quickly closed his eyes and turned to face me.

“Hey thanks for just now. I really thought that I was going to faint and then I would ruin my reputation.”

“Reputation? What reputation? Oh the one about you being a baby boy? Don’t worry you are holding it well.”

He rolled his eyes.

“Yeah whatever. Just thanks for that.” He said seemingly embarrassed as he cleared his throat, laid back and closed his eyes.

I smiled and did the same.

“Miss Park? Miss Park?”

I woke up to the sound of my name being called. Hoya was stirred awake too.

“Yes? I have taken out the needle already. Thank you for your contribution. Take a good rest and make sure to eat replenishing food.”

I thanked her and turned towards Hoya. Thank goodness for him, his needle was taken out when he was asleep. We both got thanked by the doctor and had a goodie bag which had the words “A hero is carrying this bag”  

I chuckled looking at the bag.

“Wow it was the first time I was called a hero.”

Then Hoya did a curtsey in front of me.

“Then my dear heroine, would you give me the honor of treating you lunch?”

I giggled and did my best to put on a haughty tone.

“I’m very busy but since you asked so nicely, I will do you the honor.”

We both laughed and headed down to the fast food restaurant for lunch.

--

 

“Oh Yoomi ah, what have gotten into you to donate blood on the first day of your summer holidays?” My mom inquired the moment I stepped into the house with my goodie bag. I smiled and explained how I met Hoya and how I came to know of his bucket list and agreed to accompany him as he finished it during the summer holidays.

My mom smiled when I told her I was going over to Hoya’s house to tie-dye our shirts tomorrow.

“Well, I guess that means that you will have an interesting summer this year all thanks to Hoya then.” She remarked.

 

**

a/n: Hi guys, next chapter is up and as you can tell by now, I at Chapter titles but then I don't want to be naming my chapters "1,2 and 3." Hahaha there you go and please comment! I would really appreciate it if you show me your love. See you guys soon!