Unit 2: Writing & Vocabulary

Writing and Grammar... IT'S A BIG DEAL?

I seriously promised that I'll teach how to write in a descriptive way. I mean, no dry writing. I know you must be quite disapponited BUT I've got a point. You totally CAN'T write greatly descriptive stories without a great sense of vocabulary, right? So, I'll help you with the following topics.

Firstly, research in your language books (either English or not). Reading is a great way of sipping vocabulary inside your head. If you don't like to read, then hear me well: Who DOESN'T read DOESN'T write. Clear? If you read more books than you read today, you'll totally have a great vocabulary and your stories would be greater. Sincerely, who thinks that can write without reading, it's a total douchebag.

Second, try writing stories in your own language. You can skip this step if you're experient with stories already (even in your language). Remember, descriptive stories. And also remember: don't write descriptive stories before improving grammar. It'll sound a bit weird.

Third, Google Translator. Yep, sometimes it but hey. It's a great help. And there's still a HUGE book called dictionary. So, you've got lots of help. If you see vocabulary which sounds stunning, but you don't know what it means, go to GT and translate it. It's a great way to get vocabulary enough.

Fourth, now try in English. Try to write descriptive stories in your own notebook in English, small drabbles are enough. They're quite helpful. I repeat: if you're experient with stories already, you can skip this step. I don't know if you've already read my story 'A Trip to the Stars' which is a bit loser like, since I wrote it in the time I was a beginner with this vocabulary and descriptive writing settings. So, I hope you can read it and rate it. Thanks.

Fifth, finally try a new story. Writing in the same story with all the new details inserted (althought you can do it with grammar improved) will confuse the readers, so, finish the story first and DON'T delete it, unless you notice that it isn't popular enough. Deletting popular stories will make you lose a BOUNCH of subscribers and people have less probabilities of reading your fresh new stories, since they think you might delete them again. It's really mean to delete a story which someone is in love with and gave it its precious time, for the more grammar errors and dry writing system. You might acostumate the dry writing, but not TOO much.

Ok, now I'll tell you some tricks of vocabulary. Usually, readers don't worry with the story, as long as their bias and couples are there or the story goes to somewhere. Sincerely, I WAS like that, until I learned the value of a beautiful writing. So I started subscribing stories that, in my opinion, worthed my time. Also some to support people. That's how you should be, not just subscribe stories because you ship the main couple.

Ok, after this long thingy, I shall explain. Usually, even if you get millions of subscribers and votes, you shall worry about what YOU feel, not just what the others think of your writing. If you don't like your writing, you should improve it. If you like your writing, just keep it. If you think you missed something, just go and find it. It doesn't matter if we get lots of subscribers, it just matters if we think it is okay or not.

So, instead of using cheap words like 'say' you can start by using another words like 'snap' or 'call'. For example, if you have a dialogue, you shall use words that wouldn't tire the readers. I get bored if people type always 'say' and 'ask'. So, I'll show the same dialogues, with different accents.

DRY DIALOGUE:

Minho went to his job and found his wife, Son Eunseo, by the way. She smiled like a fool and he rolled his eyes. After the encounter, Minho walked towards the office, as he found his assistant, Kwon Yuri, smiling in front of his table. He blushed and patted the back of his head, smiling fooly. "Choi Minho. how's your wife?" Yuri asked, smiling. Minho rolled his eyes as he heard the word 'wife'. "She's okay"

DESCRIPTIVE DIALOGUE:

The sun shined over the SM building, making the window's glass look like a night sky, full of beautiful stars. Choi Minho walked, happily, by those colossal corridors, as he smiled happily to everything which was left to him. His expression gloomed as he recognized the pompous shape of his forced wife. Minho tried to pass by her and ignore her, which was an old strategy. As expected, it didn't work.

"Hi, honey! Do I look good today?" Eunseo asked, all futile and fake. Minho could even notice those fake and mean eyes, which were just surgery work. Minho never liked his wife, nor if he had to die as an ant. Eunseo was the fakest woman Minho met in the whole Earth and he didn't like how she flirted with another guys. Actually, he loved it. He didn't want her to grow close to him.

"You look okay" with that last sentence, Minho rushed into his office, rolling his eyes in frustration. That fool smile annoyed him to the deep of the darkness. When he arrived, a feminine pleasant shape calmed his frustrated heart down. His frown curved into a smile, as he recognized his assistant, Kwon Yuri. She waved, in a friendly way, as she prepared everything for hi, to work. She then smiled, making the whole world melt in front of Minho. He started to smile like a fool and he patted the back of his head, shyly. Kwon Yuri was the only girl who could lighten up his mood in work.

"Choi Minho, how's your wife?" Yuri asked, gently as costume, but Minho couldn't recognize a slight frown by this time, hid by a beautiful and sincere smile. Minho frowned and gloomed as he heard the infamous question about his 'wife'. He hated his wife and he didn't heck want to know about however was her mood. However, Minho didn't want to be obnoxious in front of his greatest friend, as he simply draw a weak smile. "She's okay"

You can clearly see the difference between both dialogues. I wrote 1 paragraph in the first one and 4 in the second one. That's how the greatest authors write huge chapters (not too huge). Anxious to start? Don't forget those 6 steps, upper. So, guess this is all!

And yeah. It's basically that. You may do this but wait after I publish my new chapter. It'll help you a bit more and I hope your fics would be awesome too. After this lame and long farewell, I say goodbye. See ya, folks!

Jjung-ssaem guru