A Tale of Two Crongs

In Bloom

 

 
"I want to see it now, hyung." Kai's husky mocha voice was firm as he guided Kyungsoo to the living room, making him sit down on the magenta colored fabric of his overstuffed sofa. Two half-empty glasses of Gewürztraminer sat abandoned on the coffee table - sweating delicately. 
 
Kyungsoo gave a long, drawn out sigh, "Don't laugh, okay? It looks pretty lame." 
 
"It does not look lame!"
 
As Kyungsoo got ready to show Jongin his back, the quiet of the apartment was dispeled by the eerily melodic words,
 
I'm a creep,
I'm a loser
What the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here 
 
Kyungsoo burst into laughter as he recognized the Radiohead ringtone, while Jongin groaned loudly, "Nooooo! Go away Luhan! You really don't belong here." 
 
"Just get that - you said it yourself, he won't stop till you pick up."
 
"And you complained that Jongdae had bad timing." Jongin grumbled as he swiped the screen and barked into the phone, "Yes?!"
 
"Bad time?" Luhan asked wryly.
 
"You think?! What is it, Luhan?"
 
Before his best friend could answer though, the stentorian opening bars of Darth Vader's theme thundered from the recesses of Kyungsoo's back pocket and he walked down the hallway to take the call.
 
"Why am I hearing Darth Vader's theme? Didn't you already do a Star Wars Marathon last night? Dude, you need to get out more - which is incidentally why I'm calling,"
 
"I'm busy. I can't go out."
 
"Busy?!  You're watching Star Wars! AGAIN! You're not ing busy. No excuses! We're going to try and catch IM3 at -"
 
"I'm not watching Star Wars. That's Kyungsoo's phone. Jongdae just called him. You guys seem to have a sixth sense when it comes to each other. Like you seem to know exactly when the other is going to strike. First with the 'get a room' this afternoon; and now you're making phone calls within five seconds of each other? Maybe Yixing is right. You guys really are made for each other."
 
"Please! Don't even mention that troll's name in my presence." Luhan's voice dripped with deep disapproval and Jongin tried to keep a straight face as he thought to himself, it takes one to know one.
 
"I'm not joining you guys tonight. I'm ... Kyungsoo had dinner here and we're just gonna hang out." Jongin said simply and braced himself for Luhan's usual barrage of persuasive wheedling, "I know you think I should go out more and -"
 
"Okay." To Jongin's surprise, Luhan had cut him off. 
 
"Wait, okay? What do you mean okay? You're not going to try and convince me that Tony Stark trumps everything else life has to offer?"
 
"No. You said you're busy. It's cool. And I like this accountant guy.  He's good for you. You should keep him around."
 
"Seriously?"
 
"Yeah, Jongin, seriously."
 
"I'm ... I ..."
 
"Just say thanks, dude. Enjoy yourselves, 'kay?"
 
"Thanks. We will. You too. See you on Monday."
 
"Monday, sure. Be ... happy, Jongin."
 
"Thanks, Luhan. You guys have fun."
 
After they had ended the conversation, Jongin stood where he was, deep in thought. Even after twelve years of friendship, Luhan could still sometimes snap the rug from right under his feet.
 
Kyungsoo wandered back into the living room, shaking his head, "Jongdae is actually considering going out for drinks, the fool. Honestly, his need to conquer Sambuca is seriously terrifying. He tried to convince me to bring you and I said no because you didn't need to come under his corrupting influence. He was not amused. The other guys told him no too - they're too tired etc etc. I have a feeling Junmyeon and Baek might be going out with their paintball hook-ups. Let's see if Yixing can withstand his whining on his own." Kyungsoo chuckled before asking, "What did Luhan want?"
 
"The guys are gonna try and catch IM3 but I said I'd pass." Jongin sat down on the living room couch.
 
"You don't like Tony?" Kyungsoo's eyebrows shot up in surprise.
 
"I love Tony ... but Tony can wait. The only thing I'm interested in seeing right now is Crong." Jongin's voice had gone dangerously smoky and the skin on Kyungsoo's back, where the little dragon resided, began to tingle in a kind of dizzy anticipation. If Kyungsoo was going to be perfectly honest, his entire body was humming with expectation.
 
"Now?" Kyungsoo asked, suddenly overcome with self-consciousness.
 
"Now." Jongin took Kyungsoo's hands and drew him slowly in so that Kyungsoo stopped just in front of him, standing in between his knees. Jongin had no idea where his newfound courage was coming from but he wasn't questioning its timely arrival. He exchanged a brief intense look with Kyungsoo just before he kissed him, and his right arm wrapped around the older man's waist, pulling him closer. Meanwhile, his right palm triggered a series of warm sensations down Kyungsoo's back as it gripped the back of his neck. After half a heartbeat, Kyungsoo was pressing himself into Jongin's chest, and kissing him back with urgent passion.  
 
As Jongin gently nibbled the lobe of Kyungsoo's ear, he admitted breathily, "I've been wanting to do this since before dinner - when I was cooking the gaeran mari and you hugged me." Kyungsoo chuckled and confessed, "Me too, Jongin, me too." Then he leaned in toward Jongin, trailing kisses on his jaw as they lost themselves in each other's arms ...
 
----------
 
Later, when Jongin finally surfaced from the passion-fueled fog that had enveloped them, he recalled the little ink dragon he had glimpsed in the kitchen. 
 
"Hyung, can I see it now?" Jongin's voice was still husky from their shared kisses, and messy strands of hair fanned across his forehead as he propped himself up to look down at a languid, sleepy-eyed Kyungsoo. At some point during the last eight minutes, they had both ended up horizontal on the couch.
 
"Mmm ..." Kyungsoo brushed Jongin's wayward fringe out of his eyes before sighing and turning to lie on his belly, "Don't laugh, ok? It's not exactly y."
 
Jongin made some scolding noises before gently lifting the sky blue fabric to reveal smooth, alabaster skin ... and a slightly manic looking, black inked cartoon dragon. The corners of his mouth lifted as his index finger traced the lines of the small tattoo. He could feel the muscles tensing under under his touch but he continued drawing on the warm, silky canvas. 
 
"It looks stupid, right? I don't even know what I was thinking when I chose it."
 
"It's perfect." Jongin silenced Kyungsoo by placing his lips reverently on the tattoo. Kyungsoo flinched slightly and said in a strained voice, "Jongin you shouldn't do that. It's making things difficult for me."
 
"What do you mean?" Jongin continued to trace Crong in light, feather like until Kyungsoo turned around and caught his fingers in his own. 
 
"You're making me want to do more than just kiss you." 
 
"Maybe I want you to do more than just kiss me." Jongin played with Kyungsoo's fingers, avoiding his eyes.
 
"I don't want to rush things, Jongin. We're already three weeks ahead of my usual schedule," Kyungsoo admitted sheepishly. 
 
"What would you be doing now on your usual schedule?"
 
"Trying to find out your phone number!" Kyungsoo chuckled, "I'm generally a really cautious guy by nature, Jongin. Remember what I told you on Wednesday? It usually takes me about two weeks to even think about asking someone out let alone asking to kiss them. I wasn't kidding about that. You have totally screwed up my schedule, Kim Jongin." Kyungsoo leaned forward and kissed him.
 
"So you're not going to do more than kiss me?" Jongin asked in exaggerated disappointment.
 
"Definitely not tonight. It's only been eight days since we met, it's too soon." Kyungsoo sounded almost regretful.
 
"Are you sure I can't change your mind?" Jongin nuzzled Kyungsoo's neck, dropping not-so-subtle kisses along its length, enjoying Kyungsoo's laughter as the latter battled with desire and ticklishness. 
 
"No! And stop playing dirty!" Kyungsoo shoved Jongin away playfully.
 
"Okay, okay." Jongin grinned and  then they lay quietly beside each other for a while.
 
"Hyung, you never did tell me why you chose Crong."
 
"I used to love watching Pororo when I was a kid and well, Crong was my favorite character. What about you? Did you watch Pororo?"
 
"Sure I did." Jongin drew circles on Kyungsoo's collarbones, making him twitch. 
 
"That's ticklish! Stop!" Kyungsoo complained but Jongin ignored him as he began drawing hearts on his pale skin, "What are you drawing now, Jongin? Those feel different."
 
"Stars, hyung, I'm drawing stars." Jongin was too shy to say he'd been drawing hearts - most of his earlier bravado seemed to have deserted him and he wasn't feeling quite as fearless as he had twenty minutes ago. 
 
"I know we haven't talked about it but will you stay here tonight, hyung? I'll take you home if you prefer but I... I'd really like you to stay."
 
"I'll stay." Kyungsoo reached for Jongin's hand, and Jongin smiled and nuzzled Kyungsoo's neck which was fast climbing up his list of favorite things he liked to do. There was the inevitable cringing as his kisses ignited a wave of tickles in Kyungsoo, but he stilled when Jongin bit his earlobe. By this time Kyungsoo was having trouble thinking straight as his entire shoulder and neck area burned with sensations of the sensual kind.
 
"Jongin you'd better stop, I mean it." Kyungsoo's warning had no fire in it though and they both knew it. Jongin reduced the intensity of the onslaught anyway - but not before he pressed his nose against Kyungsoo's neck one last time, "Hyung, I miss your citrusy scent." 
 
"When did you even notice that?"
 
"When I delivered the gardenias at the office. You smelt of grapefruit and oranges. I was so nervous I wanted to die." Jongin's ears turned endearingly pink.
 
"You did shuffle your feet a lot that day and you kept looking the floor. It was the sweetest thing I'd ever seen."
 
"I was so lame." Jongin groaned and Kyungsoo pulled him close, wrapping his arms around a very embarrassed Jongin, "You were perfect." He kissed the top of Jongin's head, "And you're still perfect. I wouldn't want to change a thing about you."
 
"Hyung, you're so cheesy." Jongin muttered from somewhere next his chest.
 
"Shut up." Kyungsoo smacked his shoulder and they both chuckled, snuggling closer.
 
"It's Aqua Fahrenheit, by the way. My aftershave I mean. In case you wanted to know. I know I was going mad for days trying to figure out the missing note in your scent. I found out in the shower just now that it was lavender. From your shampoo."
 
He felt a chuckle vibrating against his chest, "You could just have asked, hyung."
 
"But it wouldn't have been as much fun. And besides I didn't want you to know I was spending that much time thinking about you, duh." More muffled laughter and Kyungsoo gave a long-suffering sigh.
 
* * *
 
As Kyungsoo spit out some water and toothpaste and rinsed his mouth again, Jongin appeared in the doorway of the bathroom.
 
"What is it?" Kyungsoo inquired as he tapped the aqua green toothbrush Jongin had given him earlier on the edge of the sink. Drops of water flew off the bristles as Jongin stood there with a mischievous grin on his face.
 
"You look like you're up to no good."
 
Jongin had had his right arm hidden behind his back and he now swung it to the front. There was something in his hand - a large, folded square of faded black cotton fabric. He handed it over to Kyungsoo, his eyes crinkled with mirth.
 
"What is this?" Kyungsoo unfolded it carefully.
 
"It's my favorite shirt to sleep in but I'm letting you use it tonight."
 
Kyungsoo burst into laughter when the front of the t-shirt was finally revealed. The picture was faded from countless washes but the manic looking, lime green dragon was unmistakable. 
 
"He's my favorite too." Jongin grinned and Kyungsoo hugged him in delight.
 
It was Crong. Of course.
 
---------
 
It was late and Jongin and Kyungsoo lay stretched out on Jongin's bed, side by side, arms and fingers entwined in the dark.
 
"Jongin-ah?" Kyungsoo continued staring at the moving shadows on the ceiling. Before they'd settled on the mattress, Jongin had drawn the curtains so that some moonlight could stream in. The ethereal silvery light had immediately created a shadow painting on the ceiling of swaying tree branches and leaves. The images were hypnotic and they'd both been mesmerized, staring and watching as they held hands.
 
"Yes, hyung?" Jongin turned to look at him at the exact same moment he turned to look at Jongin.
 
"This is about three and a half weeks ahead of schedule but ... I like you ... I mean, I really really like you." Kyungsoo lay on his stomach and waited a little nervously for Jongin's reaction.
 
"Me too, hyung. I really really like you too, but I'm sure you already knew that." Jongin gave a shy smile and Kyungsoo dropped a few kisses on his collarbones before stopping, hovering over Jongin's face.
 
"Thanks for everything, Jongin. For cooking dinner, for asking me to stay over, for sharing Crong with me ... and just for being you."
 
Jongin didn't say anything - he just reached up and kissed Kyungsoo - pouring as much emotion and need into it as he could. 
 
As they lay on their sides, kissing, Kyungsoo's hand roamed at a leisurely pace, exploring the clothed contours of Jongin's lithe body. He finally stopped though when his palm traveled beyond Jongin's hip and rested happily on one slightly rounded buttcheek, his fingers curling in ever so gently. He'd been dying to do that since Jongin walked away from him earlier that evening and he'd discovered what a nice he had.
 
Kyungsoo sighed contentedly. It really had been a perfect evening.
 
 
A/N Ok I am officially dying from my own cheesiness - I am so sorry, guys. I tried my best but this is what you get otl. I wanted to have more stuff happening but in the end it was just Kaisoo being cheesy with each other and I'm sorry but I needed to get some of my Kaisoo feels out. And the characters told me they didn't want anyone else in this chapter - although I managed to sneak Luhan and Jongdae in for a bit. They're quite pushy too, see?
 
And please don't kill me for the awkward kiss scenes cos I don't have a clue really how to write love scenes. Why am I even trying?! Anyway, as always, hope you don't hate this update. 
 
I also want to say a much belated very very very very big thank you to all my subscribers - I hit 400 yesterday and I'm just overwhelmed! I never expected more than like idk 80 subs for this fic? So yeah, LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH for giving In Bloom a chance! Even if I don't thank you guys individually, believe me, I really appreciate every single one of you. I wish I could thank all of you like I want to but then my updates would take forever to finish. I do personally thank everyone who votes for the story though - and a big thanks too to those who voted for the fic -  you have really made my week, year, decade! I hope there will be more votes cos I love them so much lol. So click that arrow if you like this fic a lot lol ...
 
Last but very definitely not least, my favorite part of writing this fic is when I get those orange notifs that say 'new story comments'. I love those the best because that's when I get to hear how you guys feel about the story and those I always answer because they give me such a buzz. So the biggest biggest thank you goes out to all of you who have ever made a comment on this fic because I love you guys the best!!!
 
And on that note, this chapter is dedicated to three ladies who are the best whaiting squad any fanfic writer could ask for! They have commented on practically every single chapter in this fic (and heaven only knows there have been way too many already) and propped me up with insightful words of writerly encouragement when my spirits were sometimes flagging. 
 
So yeah, C.28 is dedicated, in all its extreme Kaisoo fluffiness, to TeatimeTaemint, dububrit-on & DarkDreamer. Love you guys to bits and keep those comments coming!
 
PS. They're all fic writers on AFF too so go check out their great fics!
 
PPS. The Jongin buttgrab at the end is dedicated to anbaachan who would do anything to have her grabbed by Do Kyungsoo ...
 
PPPS. And the Kaisoo kisses in this fic are dedicated to haharuki @kaiss who loves Kaisoo kisses the most and is one of IB's most loyal readers. Thanks for cheering me on!