Epilogue

In Bloom

 

Epilogue
 
The frigid breeze whipped Jongin's fine black hair into elegant tangles, and nipped sharply at his nose and ears as he rubbed his gloved hands vigorously and blew breath-heated air on them for what little good it did. He had lost a shade of his tan since the advent of autumn - only a light caramel now compared to the rich caramel he'd been in the summer months when they'd first met.
 
"Stop fidgeting, Jongin. You're so hyper!" Kyungsoo complained as he meticulously formed two loops with the leather shoe laces on Jongin's heavy winter boots. He'd insisted on tying the laces because they always came undone when Jongin tied them himself - something which Jongin had claimed was a baseless accusation. Despite his protests though, Kyungsoo was the one currently kneeling with one knee bent as he carefully made a reef knot to keep the laces in place.
 
"I'm not hyper, hyung. What I am is FREEZING MY OFF." Jongin's low chuckle still had the ability to melt Kyungsoo's insides when they were alone. He forcefully ignored his body's reaction.
 
"Okay you're all done. Just remember to make a reef knot next time. I swear you're the most hopeless Boy Scout ever." Kyungsoo sighed disapprovingly as he straightened up into standing position - only to have Jongin envelop him in a bear hug. 
 
"I thought you were never going to finish. I was about to perish from the cold." Jongin announced dramatically as he cuddled up closer to Kyungsoo - the tip of his nose cold as he nudged the back of Kyungsoo's ear, and playfully nibbled his left earlobe before kissing the mole which lay right in the centre of it. After months of relentless harassment, Kyungsoo had gotten less ticklish and could now take most of Jongin's amorous advances without dissolving into laughter and squirming.
 
", it's cold." Kyungsoo shivered, wrapping an arm around Jongin's waist as they continued walking along the boardwalk where they had shared their first kiss, on their first date. "Whose bright idea was it again to come here in the middle of winter?" 
 
"Yours, hyung." Jongin laughed as Kyungsoo groaned at his own stupidity. "Luckily for you, I came prepared." And Jongin removed his red backpack and placed it on the ground, slowly taking out one mysterious item after another. Kyungsoo couldn't make out anything more than dim amorphous shapes, challenged as he was by the romantic and wholly ineffective glow of the fairy lights which decked the safety rails flanking the esplanade.
 
When Jongin finally stood up, Kyungsoo saw what looked like a very bulky coil of hunter green knit material in his hands, which he began to slowly uncoil. 
 
"That looks like hunter green. Although the light's so bad here it could be fluorescent yellow for all I know."
 
"It's hunter green."
 
"That's my favorite color," Kyungsoo observed absentmindedly as he watched Jongin drape one end of the scarf around his neck.
 
"That's why I chose it." Jongin said simply, continuing to wind it slowly around the pale column of Kyungsoo's neck. Kyungsoo could already feel himself thawing out slightly as his neck began to feel warm and secure.
 
"I got one in a double brioche stitch so it'd keep us extra warm," 
 
"How would you even know what a double brioche stitch is, Kim Jongin? Brioche is just French pastry to me." Kyungsoo looked at him in wonder.
 
"Umma loved to knit and I spent a lot of time with her so I learnt to recognize a stitch or two." He shrugged as he started winding the other half of the 8 foot long scarf around his own neck.
 
"How fricking long is that thing? And oh my God, is this a couple scarf?!" Kyungsoo couldn't help laughing as he cupped Jongin's cheeks affectionately, "And you complain I'm cheesy."
 
"Shhh, you're ruining the moment. I saw this scene in a kdrama my sister-in-law was watching about three years ago and I never forgot it because it was ... well, kind of romantic - even though the characters were only just a little more than friends at that point."
 
"What happened? In the scene I mean." Feeling nicely cocooned by the cheesy scarf that linked them together, Kyungsoo took Jongin's hand in his. 
 
"I just wanna insert a disclaimer here, ok? I don't usually watch kdramas - you know I'm more of a 'Star Wars' and 'Game of Thrones' kind of guy, right?" Jongin tugged Kyungsoo's hand until he laughingly said "Yes, yes, your street cred is still intact."
 
"Jiwon had this thing about Kim Bum, who played the lead in this drama where he's an indie rock singer who falls in love with a journalist who's ten years older than him. Like a noona romance, you know? Anyway, there's one scene where she has to do an all-day-all-night stakeout because she wants to interview someone. It's the middle of winter and she's totally freezing her off when Kim Bum shows up wearing his cheesy long scarf which he shares with her of course."
 
"You said they're still just friends at this point?"
 
"Yeah, friends - but they're really attracted to each other. Anyway, he convinces this roasted sweet potato vendor to set up his cart near them so they can eat roasted sweet potatoes and warm their hands over the charcoal fire. Um, I couldn't find a sweet potato vendor here though, hyung. I'm sorry." 
 
"It's okay, Jongin!" Kyungsoo laughed, "The macadamia and pistachio gelato I had just now was perfect. I don't need a sweet potato, honest - or the recreation of a romantic scene from a kdrama for that matter." 
 
"I'm going to ignore that. Okay, I don't have sweet potatoes but I do, however, have something hot to drink. Kim Bum brought some coffee with him to keep them awake and to warm them up." Jongin bent down to pick up a Thermos flask of what Kyungsoo later discovered was steaming hot, slightly sweetened Earl Grey tea - exactly the way he liked it. He couldn't take sugarless coffee and tea anymore. Just another change his life had undergone after meeting Jongin. He wasn't the only one who'd changed - Jongin's sweet tooth had gotten less intense and he didn't eat as much junk food as he used to. And in return, Kyungsoo allowed Jongin to ply him with sweet and greasy food every now and then.
 
"What else happened?" Kyungsoo asked as he took a sip of tea from the cup they were sharing - letting out a long exhalation of contentment as the hot liquid warmed his insides. They were leaning against the railing at the far end of the esplanade and the dark blanket of water lay spread out before them, besprinkled with the reflected light from a myriad stars. 
 
"Oh they just acted kind of silly. Hopped up and down a lot to keep warm and made cutesy faces and took selcas. But we are definitely skipping all that nonsense." Jongin took the almost empty cup from Kyungsoo's gloved fingers and put it on the floor before reaching out to hug the other man, the cold skin on their faces touching.
 
"Hyung, have you ever heard of the red string of fate?" Jongin rested his forehead gently on Kyungsoo's.
 
"I think I have a vague memory from some manga I might have read in high school. I can't remember much though. Why?"
 
"Umma told me about it when I was about 14, I think. There's this Chinese legend that says that the gods tie an invisible red thread of destiny around the ankles of two people who are destined to meet and fall in love with each other. Like soulmates."
 
"Where are we going with this, Jongin? Are you saying the gods tied our ankles together with an invisible red string?" Kyungsoo sounded amused.
 
"Well, maybe that's why I used to trip a lot? Because there was an invisible red thread tethering my ankle to yours." Jongin grinned sheepishly.
 
"I hardly ever trip." Kyungsoo pointed out reasonably.
 
"I don't trip much now but I think I used to trip enough for the both of us. I'm just saying ... that red string of fate thing? I know it's really really hokey, but I think it's true for the two of us. We were meant to find each other - and since we're meant to be together and we managed to find each other, don't you think it's time you just moved in?" 
 
"But it's only been six months and my schedule says nine at least." 
 
"Hyung, you already spend five nights a week at my place and I spend the other two at yours. Wouldn't it be more ... I don't know, economical and practical to just move in with me already?" Jongin only just managed to stop himself from rolling his eyes but they'd been together long enough that Kyungsoo could sense the mental eye roll.
 
"Stop rolling your eyes."
 
"I'm not!" Jongin protested.
 
"You totally were." Kyungsoo raised a sardonic eyebrow.
 
"Okay, I might have thought about doing it." Jongin admitted reluctantly, "But seriously? You're just being a stubborn about moving in. You've got a spare set of toiletries at my apartment, we eat together practically every night and your clothes take up 1/3 of my closet. You've already moved in, you just won't admit it. We need to shop for a new closet by the way - to fit in all our stuff. I was thinking one of those fitted, rolling door -"
 
"Jongin! I didn't say I was moving in yet."
 
"It's time, hyung. Forget your schedule. You moved in six months ago - you just need to stop paying rent for your apartment which you hardly see."
 
"What schedule? You've been reducing my schedule to shreds since I met you!"
 
"Which is exactly why you can move in properly already." Jongin enunciated the words slowly - as if he was speaking to someone who was hard of hearing.
 
"I'm not deaf or stupid." Kyungsoo complained.
 
"I know you're not. You're just unbelievably stubborn."
 
"Okay, fine!" Kyungsoo held his hands up in surrender.
 
"Fine, you're admitting you're unbelievably stubborn or fine, you're moving in?" Jongin watched him curiously.
 
"Fine, I'm moving in!" Kyungsoo bit out tersely.
 
"For real?" Jongin asked cautiously - still skeptical since Kyungsoo had so persistently held out for six months now.
 
"Yes, Kim Jongin. I'm moving in for real. This weekend." Kyungsoo announced firmly, then he began unhurriedly peeling the woolen gloves off Jongin's long, slim fingers with his own bare fingers - having shed his own gloves several minutes ago. He pocketed the gloves in his winter coat before taking Jongin's warm hands in his slightly cool ones.
 
"Hyung?"
 
"I don't know if it was a red string of fate, or Sehun's food poisoning, or that accident on the freeway, or Soundgarden that brought us together but you're right, Jongin. If we're meant to be together then it's time. I don't even know why I waited so long but I do know that I don't want to waste any more time being stupid."
 
"You're not stupid, hyung." Jongin scolded as he disentangled his hands and linked them behind Kyungsoo's neck.
 
"I am a little. But if you try to remind me that I once said I was stupid, I'll deny everything!" Kyungsoo's left hand settled comfortably on the small of Jongin's back while the other hand positioned itself firmly over Jongin's and pulled him closer, "This isn't ahead of schedule like it was when we first came here on our first date, Jongin, but ... I think I'm going to kiss you." 
 
And as the hanging ends of their shared green scarf billowed in the wintry breeze, and the remains of Kyungsoo's tea lay cooling on the wooden floor, the two men reached for each other in a flurry of eager lips and tongues, and caressing fingers and whispered words of love ...
 
 
 
____________________
 
A/N: 
 
Gosh, I didn't expect to get so emotional when I clicked MARK STORY COMPLETE on this update. It's been six amazing months for me and I hope this lame epilogue was worthy - at least a little - of all the encouragement you guys have given me and the time you've put into following this story. And also the 7 months I've poured into writing this fic. If you enjoyed it please up vote it to show your love for IB and also to inspire me to write! Just click on the arrow next to the title In Bloom. Hugs!
 
I said most of what I wanted to say in the A/N for C.36 but i do want to just mention the significance of IN BLOOM as a title. I'm sure most, if not all of you picked up on the fact that IN BLOOM is not just a grunge anthem, and it's not just a neat name for a flower shop. It's also meant to symbolize Jongin and Kyungsoo's personal growth and "bloom"-ing as individuals through their love for each other. Together they're better than they ever were on their own. Ok, end of boring lecture orz.
 
If any of you are curious to find out more about the kdrama Jongin mentions in the epilogue, it's called The Woman Who Still Wants to Marry and it has some to die for sweet moments between the two leads. One of my favorite dramas and I cried buckets in the last two episodes otl.
 
And last but hopefully not least, I will try my very best to come up with spinoff stories for the SeBaek and ChenXing pairings that were introduced in IB. If and when I post these stories, I'll make an update here on IB so stay subscribed to this story if you want to read the spinoffs.
 
It'll take me a while to get round to writing them though as I'll be working on a oneshot/twoshot Sukai fic after this. Some of you have already subscribed and commented and I've only posted a foreword! Two of you even voted for it otl - I'm so overwhelmed atm. You guys are just amazing and OMG I'm so scared I'll mess it up /falls over dead from the pressure/. 
 
What else can I say? I never expected to write more than 15-16 chapters for this story and thanks to all of you, I made it all the way to C.37 OMG. You guys really are the best readers any fic writer could ask for and I love you all. Take care and um ... Kaisoo forever!!!! (Pls excuse the cheesiness. I am currently dying of embarrassment ...)
 
Hugs and so so so much love and a sea of purple tulips,
 
LotusK
 
PS: if you liked this fic a lot, do drop a comment and/or vote for it? Because it really inspires me to write otl. some readers have asked me how to vote, all you have to do is click on the arrow next to the title In Bloom. If you're on a mobile version of AFF, you'll have to switch to standard site mode to vote. When you click on the arrow and it turns orange, that means you've voted. Thanks!
 
PPS: I'm so sorry for the verbal diarrhea! I swtg I was going to write a short A/N FML.