Switched

Switched Groom [Hiatus]

 

Taemin stepped out from behind the bookshelf, where he had been hiding at when he overheard and vaguely saw the deal between his appa and another person he heard as General Choi just moments before they left the room.

“I would hope for your first son to marry our Jinri.”

“On what basis should I comply with your request?”

“I am willing to help you overthrow the King.”

This is insanity. He thought to himself. It was not like as if he did not know about the plan that his appa has so carefully crafted throughout the years, spending I don’t know how many banknotes and gold in training his hyung Lee Jinki to be the most suitable candidate to overthrow the King with. HE KNEW. But he ALSO KNEW that with his family alone, nothing much could be done.

But what he saw today was a serious warning sign. General Choi, rumoured to have 5 million troops with him, is willing to work together with his appa in overthrowing the King. His King Taein. The King Taein who treats him better than his own appa. The King Taein that he had promised to be loyal to throughout his life. The King Taein whose position as the King now is sooo…shaky.

And yes, you did not see the words wrongly. King Taein treats Taemin better than Lee Teuk does, simply because Lee Teuk focused really hard on Jinki, cultivating him to be the candidate and left Taemin to the care of his omma, Princess Kim Taeyeon, who often returned to the palace.

And so Taemin ended up closer to the royalties instead, especially Prince Kai and therefore, King Taein.

“No I cannot let this happen.” He said firmly in his head. And in order to stop this entire messed-up situation, he would seriously have to talk to his hyung.

He found him wielding his sword in the backyard. Of course, what else could he be doing at this time? Taemin told himself. His hyung’s entire life revolved around training, and maybe some time later, planning the rebel. He shrugged at the thought of it.

 “Hyung, I need to talk to you. Are you serious that you are going to marry that girl?” Taemin questioned.

“Yes. It would be helpful to our family.” Jinki vaguely replied, intentionally leaving out the details about the secret plan to rebel.

Of course, being the meticulous guy Taemin is, he saw his hyung’s intention to omit the details.

So you think I know nothing, hyung? Well you are so wrong.

And I will prove it to you soon.

“But you don’t like her right?” Taemin probed on, hoping to discourage his hyung.

“Affection can be cultivated over time.” It isn’t sure if his reply was intended for Taemin or was it to convince himself. After all, there was this girl that he had been captivated by, and he badly wanted. He wasn’t sure if marrying a different girl would help, or would it worsen his desire for her.

Taemin reckoned that no amount of persuasion would help. Thus, he decided that the only way he could help is to inform King Taein about the happenings. He found an excuse of “catching up with Prince Kai” and left for the palace.

“If what you’re saying is real, I guess as the King I have to do something. What’s your opinion Advisor Kim?” King Taein commented after Taemin reported what he had known.

Jonghyun thought for a moment and replied, “We will need to make sure that his family doesn’t have the luxury of time to plan ahead.”

“I agree with that, but what kind of trouble can we set up for the Lee family?” King Taein continued.

An idea hatched in Jonghyun’s mind. “If they are going to make use of a marriage to support their plan, we can also make use of a marriage to sabotage them.”

Fear struck in Taemin. Was he going to be “the one to be married”? Like NO WAY, he’s still a young boy, okay, at least a young boy at heart.

King Taein noticed his expression changed. He managed a laughter, then commented, “Don’t worry Taemin, we’re not referring to you.” Taemin heaved a sigh of relief. However, what he didn’t know was that King Taein hasn’t finished his sentence. “You have a more important task to do.” And it did involve a marriage as well.

That decision sealed his fate.

Jinki stared at his male hanbok, slightly unwilling to put on it. His mind and heart had always been inclined towards Sooyeon, the love of his life, especially today. Then he thought about the benefits of marrying Jinri.

Marry Jinri = 5 million troops.

5 million troops = 50% à 80% success of plan

Success of plan = Overthrow = Become King.

King = Can have everything = Have Sooyeon.

That’s right! It’s definitely not a wrong decision to do this!

He took in a deep breath and proceeded to change into his hanbok. Just then Taemin entered the room hurriedly. He swiftly closed and locked the door behind him.

“Taemin? Why are you here?”

“I’m sorry Hyung, but I got to do this.” Taemin replied.

He got out of the room. The guard nodded when he saw him and blew off the candle in his lamp. The other guards then followed so. So it was a state of darkness in the Lee residence.

“What happened? Fetch Jinki here now!” Lee Teuk exclaimed in fear, believing that this was one of the King’s conspiracy to kidnap Jinki in the darkness. Just then the figure appeared in the common hall. Lee Teuk heaved a sigh of relief seeing him in his hanbok.

“Thank god Jinki you’re here. But it’s such darkness how do we proceed with the ceremony?” Lee Teuk commented.

“It’s okay. It’s better off than missing the auspicious time.” Princess Kim Taeyeon replied.

And so, the ceremony proceeded, while the guards scrambled to find the matchsticks to light up the area. When the ceremony finally ended, the lights were back again.

“Taemin? Why are you wearing the hanbok?” Lee Teuk exclaimed in shock as he saw the man in hanbok look up at him.

“What do you mean?” Jinki stared at Taemin.

“I cannot let you marry the girl.” Taemin replied simply. Within seconds Jinki was already subdued by him.

“How did you?” Jinki was amazed at Taemin’s swift hand movements that caused his hands to be tied to his back.

“There’s a lot more that you don’t know about me, hyung.” Taemin curtly replied with an unobvious smile. Jinki was stunned. “Just like how I don’t know about you.” Taemin continued his words. He then put on the hanbok that Jinki was staring at moments ago. He had already instructed the guards to blow out the candle when he sees him, and that the other guards could follow suit.

Let’s hope nothing goes wrong today. He thought to himself and left Jinki’s room, leaving a Jinki still tied to the chair in his room.

Taemin smiled. “Appa, I’m sorry to ruin your plan.”

Jinri at the other side finally turned up to look at her “husband”. This is definitely a new face. He wasn’t the man that she saw in the drawing that his appa had shown her. He is NOT Jinki?! What…just happened? She thought to herself.

“Who are you?” Jinri demanded in a harsh tone.

“Lee Taemin. And I am your husband.” He replied with a slight smirk.

Lee Taemin? The man who is filthily loyal to the King? Does that mean that there is no point marrying him? Many questions came into Jinri’s head. She didn’t know how things ended up in this state, but one thing she knows is that her plan has definitely gone haywire. Aha, that is, if you know about her “5 Steps to be a Queen” guide.

“Taemin! You get back to your room now!” Lee Teuk screamed at the top of his lungs.

“Appa, you want me to proceed with the wedding night so soon?” Taemin replied, a smirk plastered on his once-innocent face.

“You!!!” Lee Teuk collapsed onto the couch with a painful chest. Taemin then took the hands of Jinri and led her back to his room. Jinri was too shocked with the happenings that she could only follow him.

“Why did you do this?” Jinri shouted at him when they were back at Taemin’s room.

“Simple. I know about the plan, and I have no intent to do nothing about it.” Taemin replied.

“Okay I’ll be direct as well. I want to be the Queen.” Jinri confessed.

“And I have no plans on helping you with it.” Taemin interrupted.

“You!” Jinri pointed her finger at him. This is seriously screwing up my oh-so-awesome plan. She thought.

“And since you’re my wife, you should follow my lead.” Taemin folded his hands.

“Over my dead body!” Jinri rebutted and looked away. What kind of ridiculous theory is this?

Taemin took in a deep breath. “I don’t mind leaving you a dead body.” He stared at her with fiery eyes.

That moment Jinri knew what ‘fear’ was. He didn’t sound like he was joking or something.

“Yah! I don’t mean it literally!” Jinri shouted at him. Taemin made no response. “Fine…” she succumbed to him. If she couldn’t do it in the open, she would do it in the dark. Nothing can stop me from being the Queen. She concluded.

“That’s my good wife.” Taemin smirked. “And if I find you vying against me even in the dark…” Jinri waited for his next sentence. “I will make sure your life is a misery.” If his previous warning didn’t sound like a joke, then this one is definitely serious.

Jinri swallowed her saliva. This guy can get pretty scary when he gets all serious.

“Okay! So can you leave the room now? I need to sleep.” Jinri commanded, trying to pretend that she was calm and everything.

“This is my room. On what basis should I leave?” Taemin replied, inching closer to the bed that Jinri was seated at.

“Based on the fact that I’m sleeping here,” Jinri replied in an annoyed tone.

“That there’s no problem. We’re husband and wife, remember?” Taemin replied, inching closer to her.

“What…what do you want to do?” Fear struck in Jinri as she saw the figure getting closer to her, and he seemed like he had no intention of leaving the bed.

“What do you think I want to do?” he whispered into her ears. Then he got off the bed with another smirk. He was putting the bed sheets on the ground at the other end of the room.

“Yahhh! Lee…!!!” Jinri wanted to scream at him, but she still hasn’t remembered his name.

“I’m Lee Taemin!” Taemin screamed back from the other end of the room. He was pissed off. How could his own wife not know his name?

“I don’t care who you are!” Jinri shouted back. She then fell back onto the bed with a loud ‘thud’ expressing her annoyance at all the happenings today.

First I married a different guy. Now this guy is nothing but irritating. And I don’t even know how to carry on with the plan. Jinri thought to herself. DAMN IT!

Taemin lay on the ground laid with bed sheets, a mixture of feelings engulfing him as he stared at the bed and the person lying on top of it.

The night ended.