The boy at the piano

The boy at the piano

 

Jongin's fingers danced like the sparkles in his eyes; daring, constant and amused. Quicker and quicker, almost blurring into a daze of flesh coloured mass, every movement light and calculated. Fine, paper thin, vulnerable tabs on the keys. Black. white, clean, worn out, impregnated with Jongin's tears sweat and at times blood. His laughter, screams, cries and every shade of his hoarse seductive voice.

The piano held part of Jongin's soul. Or rather; it was part of his soul. The beautiful music flowing out from beneath his hands, were not just dots on lined paper or chords; minor and major, 7's and 6's. They were words, stories, feelings – happy, sad, depressed, horrified ones – and most of all, Jongin.

With his fingers he could spin a golden thread of magic that enchanted everyone that came within earshot.

 

 

Kyungsoo's new school was large. Much larger than anticipated. Just the school grounds were about the size of his old school. Students were everywhere, some hurrying to get to an early class, books beneath their arms and hair flying in the wind. Other stood and calmly sipped their star bucks coffee, chatting with friends, enjoying their last time out in the sun, before school and duty called.

 

A buzz of familiarity with one another left Kyungsoo wide eyed and feeling very out of place in the middle of the filled outdoor space. Hesitantly he took a step forward, a nervous pit in his stomach, but immediately he was almost toppled over by a tall, lanky figure who accidentally ran into him. The paper Kyungsoo had been clutching tightly, flew out of his hand as the two collided. Quickly the wind took a hold of it and flew it far away, high up in the sky and out of Kyungsoo's sight. Groaning, Kyungsoo glared after the person who had made him loose his paper and was now walking off, not even apologizing.

 

If Kyungsoo hadn't just transferred to the new school, he'd have kicked the guy's and taught him to apologize, but, well, Kyungsoo had just transferred and it would be pretty bad to get on the wrong side of half the students on his first day, that most definitely wouldn't help him settle down and make new friends. Instead he cast a helpless glance around to see if he could find the paper, but seeing it nowhere, he gave up on the hunt and carefully walked through the school grounds to the entrance, luckily not bumping into anyone else on his way.

 

If from the outside the school building had seemed big it was nothing in comparison to how it looked from the inside. The hallways stretched into infinity, billions of them in every direction, like a maze of doom and death.

Kyungsoo gulped, staring horrified down one hallway after the other, not knowing which way to go, now his paper of directions had been lost. A constant stream of students pushed past him, barely looking him over twice, all to focused on themselves to take notice of the new very lost student.

 

When the bell rang Kyungsoo had hardly moved an inch, still standing indecisively looking around. Seeing as he was the only person left in the hall, the school felt even bigger than before. Hesitantly he chose a direction and began slowly walking down the corridor, eyes growing bigger with every step he took, eyes searching for someone to give him directions to his classroom. Be had no such lucky. There was no one in the hall, no late student or a teacher hurrying to a class. There was only Kyungsoo. Small little Kyungsoo.

 

Taking a wrong turn a few times too much, Kyungsoo lastly ended in a hallway with broken lights and more silence. Not an eye was around apart from his wide ones, and although it wasn't even possible, the hallway felt more empty than the other's he had passed. The air felt eery and cold. Kyungsoo shuddered and regretted leaving his jacket at home.

 

At this point Kyungsoo was pretty much giving up. There was no way he could still make it to his first lesson of the day, and he still had three more to go to, but problem was he had no idea how to firstly get to those lessons, and secondly even get back to the entrance. He was completely and utterly lost with no chance of ever leaving school again. He was trapped there and had to live off rats he caught with his own hands, maybe drink his own pis and live like a caveman until he was rescued. That was, if he was rescued. Maybe his whole life he'd have to live at school, slowly loosing his sanity until lastly he didn't even know who he was himself.

 

No. That couldn't happen. Kyungsoo looked around crazed. Eyes laying upon what he searched, he launched himself at the nearest door and flung himself inside, getting ready to stop the teaching by uttering the words of confusion that buzzed in his mind. No one was in the room however. The lights were on but it otherwise seemed like an unused classroom. Cursing himself, knowing there was only craziness waiting for him now, Kyungsoo turned to leave the room, that was, until he heard something that rooted him to the spot and made him close the door again.

 

It was distant at first, quiet, slowly approaching with careful steps, powering up as it went. A beautiful melody, a sadness but on the same time a warmth. Without Kyungsoo even realizing it, he moved forward, walked silently through the room as if in a daze, keeping to the shadows but still moving closer to the sound, as if it was luring him in, in the hopes of devouring him. Kyungsoo willingly let himself get trapped.

 

Behind a curtain Kyungsoo regained control of his body. Blinking a few times he looked around the dim room, mind still sleepy from the wonderful music that was still playing. So beautiful and complex. Kyungsoo had never heard the likes of it before, never heard anything that heart touching in his lifetime. To tell the truth he felt tears starting to form in his eyes, as the song took a turn for the even sadder, pictures of rain and him crying in his windowsill forming in his mind. A sense of hollowness took over the pit in Kyungsoo's stomach, switching places with the nervousness from before.

 

The room was silent apart from the playing. The world had become quiet as the beautiful melody flooded around the room, in and out of Kyungsoo's ears, hypnotizing him, leaving him in a state of awe. There was just something about the composition that touched Kyungsoo soul deep. Something he couldn't quite put a finger on, not that it mattered much, all that mattered was that it never stopped.

 

The theme changed into something more happy. It lightened and flowed more freely from the players hands, as if new hope had been grasped, as if spring had bad it last goodbyes to winter. It was breathtakingly beautiful, and when it slowly faded into nothing, Kyungsoo was left staring wide eyed out into space, seeing nothing, only hearing the enormous lack of piano playing.

 

Well that was until it started again. Started on a new tune, a tune Kyungsoo knew by heart, had sung a billion times already. Something that brought nothing a happy smile to his face.

Mind completely blank, body moving to the music, Kyungsoo stepped out from behind the curtain, inhaling deeply as he went, releasing said breath with a low, voluminous note. Kyungsoo began to sing.

 

The piano faltered for a second, the player getting surprised by the sudden singing, but soon it was playing as heartily as before, the player's fingers moving up and down the piano, dancing to the rhythm of the groovy song. Kyungsoo sang and sang, and the pianist played and played. The two instruments mixed well with each other. The piano had a playful sound to it, as likewise Kyungsoo did. Where the piano went down and made some freestyle, playing a bass scale, Kyungsoo went up, singing clean, high notes. It was fun, and Kyungsoo was smiling the whole time, edging closer to the piano to double up the amount of fun by maybe sharing a smile with the pianist.

 

The man at the piano was absolutely stunning. Dark skin, dark brown hair, sparkling eyes and a cheeky smirk on his face. The shirt of his uniform hung loosely around him, a few buttons too much open at the neck, showing off some smooth skin that Kyungsoo's eyes immediately were drawn to. He tore them away though, as he felt eyes on him and stared bluntly into the eyes of the pianist, both still respectively singing and playing. The world came to a hold as the two stared, both falling into the other's soul, understanding and feeling each other on a whole other level.

 

Kyungsoo sat down on the piano stool next to the handsome boy, keeping eye contact with him as the song slowly faded, the tempo slowed down and the Kyungsoo's voice silencing. A complete silence swallowed the two as they sat there, gazing at each other. There was no words uttered for quite a while until lastly the pianist spoke.

 

“I don't think I have seen you around. You're voice is absolutely mind blowing.” He breathed, sounding just as husky as Kyungsoo had imagined if not more. His voice was velvet and somehow matched his lovely skin tone. Kyungsoo had to do his best to not stretch out his fingers and touch it, let his slender hands that smooth chin of his.

 

“It's my first day here, and thank you. Hardly as good as your skills.” Kyungsoo was slightly out of breath but his voice was reasonably steady.

 

“I see. A face like yours I surely wouldn't forget. I'm Jongin by the way.”

 

“Kyungsoo.”

 

“If this is your first day here, what are you doing away from class? Aren't you supposed to be at least present the first few days?” Kyungsoo blushed and bit his lip.

 

“I kinda got lost on my way there.” Jongin chuckled. “You sure look the person to do so.” “Hey!” Kyungsoo slapped him on the arm. “You must admit the school is huge!” Jongin just grinned and shrugged. “Well I guess. In any case want to play another song or should I follow your highness to class?” “Just this once, class, hope to get the opportunity to see you again soon though, and we can do another song.” Jongin his lips and stood up, stretching.

 

“Let's get going then. Better get the nerd to class.” “Yah!” Kyungsoo said annoyed, slapping the laughing Jongin once again. “Come one princess” He said, halfway out the door.

 

Just outside the door to Kyungsoo's classroom – apparently it had been the first on the left, a pretty easy room to find – Jongin and Kyungsoo stood a bit, unsure of what to say and do.

 

“Well I'll see you around, I guess.” Kyungsoo said, turning to Jongin, smiling weakly at him.

 

“Yeah, I guess we will.” He responded. Kyungsoo made to turn but Jongin stopped him by calling his name softly. “Kyungsoo.” Said person turned around, and for a second felt a warm sensation on his forehead, but then it was gone and with it was Jongin. Kyungsoo stood in a daze in front of the door, blinking animatedly.

 

Maybe his new school wouldn't be as bad as he had feared. Chances even were that his new school would be darn great.  

 

-----

I promise the next thing I write is going to be the requests I've gotten from you, my lovely audience. I just had to get this off my chest. Sorry about that.. I'll get to work straight away.. tomorrow after I've slept.. yeah.. 

Comments and requests are always welcome. Night! ^^