Drabble: That One Fussy But Cute Customer

That One Fussy But Cute Customer

Leaning against one of the book racks with his ankles crossed, Kris waited patiently for his last customer, who was busy browsing the row of books. The latter, whom he'd known as Kyungsoo, the nerd in science class back in school, had his head tilted sideways as he scanned the spines of all the books displayed with his eyes that were too big for his small face. He was cute with that small stature but when those thick lips parted, Kris would cringed. Not because his voice was bad. On the contrary, Kyungsoo's voice had that slightly deep tone that was low enough to cause the butterflies in his stomach to flutter.

Standing about one and a half head shorter, Kyungsoo looked up at him with a frown.

Kris raised an eyebrow when he was summoned.

"Could you get me that book, up there?" Kyungsoo ordered with hands on each side of his hips.

"You can always just use the sliding ladder, there." Kris folded his arms over his chest as he tilted his head to point at the said ladder at the end of the book rack.

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I can't."

"Why the hell not?"

Kyungsoo stared at him with that big judging eyes again. "I'm afraid of heights."

Holding back the laughter that was about to spill out of him, Kris snorted instead. "You've got to be kidding, right?"

"I'm not. Are you going to get the book for me or not?" Kyungsoo tapped his foot against the wooden flooring. Thud. Thud. Thud.

"I'm the customer here." He added with a huff and an annoyed expression on his face. "If you don't help me, I'll stay here and you can't go home. Poor guy."

The hell is wrong with this guy? If only I can shake him hard like a limp doll.

Kris sighed. He pushed himself off the rack. The racks were about a storey high, floor to ceiling. Climbing up the ladder, he pulled the book that Kyungsoo wanted.

"No, not that book. The left one."

"Here you go." Kris handed the book to the dark-haired boy, whom accepted it with eager hands. Before his feet even touched ground, the book was shoved in his face.

"I don't want this book. Get me the other one. The one with the title, All About Dragons."

Groaning inwardly, Kris complied. He handed the boy the book but was quickly rejected. And he was asked to bring down another book. After a few minutes of doing so, Kris felt the nerve on his temple twitched irritably.

"This is the last one. I'm closing up. There's school tomorrow."

"I know." Kyungsoo shrugged unapologetically. He flipped through the book with this-is-so-boring expression on his face. "Nah, I don't want this either. I guess I'll get going. See you in school. Bye."

Kris grounded his jaw, preventing himself from hauling expletive at the retreating back, whose rear was swaying ily behind the jeans, towards the exit. Fortunately, the only reason he didn't explode was because the guy was super cute and this stupid thumped behind his ribcage.

What the hell did he just make me do? And ended up not buying any of it. At all?! Is he playing some kind of a game with me?

He cracked his knuckles in frustration and began to do check the register.

 

 

"Here, kitty, kitty!" Kyungsoo called out to the kitten perched on the thick branch of the tree just outside of the bookstore, a couple of metres away.

Meow!

"Aw, you cute little thing! Come down, or  you'll hurt yourself." 

Meow!

"Okay, let me help you." 

Kyungsoo was in a good mood. After being able to tease his crush at the bookstore, he was high. So high was he that if you asked him to run around the neighbourhood in just his underwear, he would. Just because he had finally spoken to the gorgeous high school senior, Kris, whom he had been crushing on secretly behind walls and pillars. Somehow, Kris had known his name as he was popular for his participation in the school's annual science contest with his lab partners Baekhyun and Chanyeol.

He put one foot on the trunk. And another until he was up right beside the poor little kitten with his legs wrapped around the slightly damp branch. Picking the kitten by the scruff of its neck, he placed him on his left shoulder, supported by one hand and started climbing down.

Then he heard that voice. That voice. That super y I-want-to-make-you-hot voice.

"Do Kyungsoo, what is the meaning of this?!"

Kyungsoo felt his eyes grow impossibly wide. He got caught! Damn! He had blown his I'm-afraid-of-heights cover. 

"I-I don't know what you're talking about." Kyungsoo grinned nervously the moment both feet touched the slightly uneven ground.

The taller boy was pissed. Or probably annoyed that he got tricked. But Kyungsoo hoped that he wouldn't be since he did all that just so he could get closer to Kris. And to admire his nice back.

"You're coming with me!" Kris dragged Kyungsoo towards the bookstore by his clothes tag with the kitten in tow.

Before Kyungsoo could run out of the bookstore, Kris beat him to the door and locked it. He flipped the board from "open" to "close". Then he pulled Kyungsoo's pawing hands off the glass doors, dragging him along the corridor and into the staff room with a smirk on his face.

 

A/N: Comments would be nice~!