Chapter One

The Make-up Of Kim Sunggyu

 

"Welcome home Maya!" Dongwoo enthusiastically threw the apartment door open, ushering me in with my luggage. I walked into a stylishly furnished, brown and white themed apartment. Mahogany bookcases stood tall against the walls and colourful abstract paintings decorated the walls and mannequins  stood or clothed tastefully in each corner of the house. It had Dongwoo written all over it.

"What do you think?" Dongwoo asked, slinging his arm around my neck, despite him being short, he still effortlessly towered over me.

"It's gorgeous!" Dongwoo grinned at me gratefully and showed me the kitchen, the laundry room, his office, the library and finally showed me my bedroom. Dongwoo's  creativity definitely stretched to interior designing, my room was freshly decorated with lemons, creams and browns colouring the room. There was a white vanity table that stood opposite to the four poster bed, my window looked out to the Han River.

"This is beautiful!" I squealed. Dongwoo giggled with joy.

Hoya dragged my suitcases into my room with a huff, his forehead slightly slick with sweat, "Thanks for the help babe." Hoya addressed Dongwoo who flailed around.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry baby." He walked to the taller male pouting and grabbed his arm, "Let me get you something to drink. Maya, just get yourself settled into your bedroom hun, your on-suite is just through that door."

After unpacking my suitcases, I stripped and the shower. I faced myself in the mirror and pinched my cheeks. I was slightly on the chubby side, but I regarded it more as curvy, my height just emphasised my build. My hair fell in tight waves down to my waist, its dark brown colour complimenting the brown olive tone of my skin. I showered quick and changed into a comfortable outfit, applying the most minimal make-up.

I walked into the living room, to see Hoya changed into sweat pants and a tank top cuddling Dongwoo on the sofa watching TV and ooh boy, was he a piece of eye candy or what. I shot Dongwoo two thumbs up and a wink - he just blushed and buried his head into the crook of Hoya's neck.

"I'm just heading out to take a look around Seoul." I announced to them, slipping my arms into my leather jacket and slipping my feet into my ballet flats.

Hoya looked away from the TV and  towards me, "Do you want us to show you around?" He offered.

I shook my head and smiled, "That's really sweet of you but I'll be okay. You guys just continue being cute and that."

Both Dongwoo and Hoya blushed this time, Hoya laughing bashfully and Dongwoo shaking his head at me. I stuck me tongue out at him and walked out of the apartment.

I wanted to go out and familiarise myself with Seoul as I would be starting at Seoul National University in a couple of days and what good is that if I don't know my way around? Besides, I needed a phone to actually use in Korea.

I rode the bus to the next phone store Dongwoo recommended for me. The assistant seemed quite surprised that I could talk Korean and shot me weird looks whenever he thought I wasn't looking, I in return shot him the most sarcastic "thank you" I could muster, grabbed my new phone and bid him a good-day.

I was brought up the traditional Korean way by my Grandparents. They taught me how to show politeness and how to respect your elders. I grew up speaking to them in Korean as they could not speak English. Dongwoo helped me out a lot too. They showed me how to read, speak and write Korean before I could even properly recite the Englih alphabet.

Three years ago, they passed away, leaving their will equally split between Dongwoo and I. Dongwoo has been well off for a while now, being very successful in studying fashion, and now working as a costume designer for the most well known Idols of Korea.

I had found it really hard - I still find it really hard - to be away from the place I was born and raised. To leave behind the memories I shared with my Grandparents and my brother. I missed them so much. But I felt it was my responsibility to grant their wish of me becoming a successful ancient Korean historian, therefore I moved to Korea after selling our farm in Houston.

I grabbed a coffee from a Starbucks in Hongdae and walked around a little more. A swarm of school girls were milling around the street, seeming to look for something, maybe even someone. A guy, around medium height was clothed in a beanie, a scarf that half covered his face and a winter jacket. I eyed him suspiciously as he walked with his head down, it wasn't even that cold. I shrugged it off and walked past him, making my way to the subway station.

The suspicious man grabbed my arm.

I was about to lay some taekwondo on his . But he stopped me by talking in the most confusing Engrish.

"Herpeu, me, plendeu." He whispered.

"Bwho?" I questioned him, creasing my eyes in confusion.

His small eyes bulged and he spoke louder than necessary, "You speak Korean?" Instantly, as if in a messed up horror film, the school girls' heads snapped in unison in our direction.

"OPPA!" They  screamed and ran in our direction, arms out stretched and hands prepared to grab anything within reach.

His narrowed khol-rimmed eyes burned into mine.

Slipping his gloved hand into my bare one, he began sprinting down the street making me drop my coffee on the ground. His legs were almost twice the length of mine so I worked my legs faster to match up to his pace.

I should have pulled my hand out of his grip and asked him who the hell he thought he was.

But I didn't and I don't know why.

He began cutting through alleyways in attempt to lose the fan girls but they were not about to go down without a fight. He obviously knew his way around these streets but I, on the other hand, began to worry about how the hell I was going to get home.

Eventually we darted into a small building that looked like a rundown Korean Noodle Shop and he slammed the entrance door shut. The girls began rapping their fists on the door of the shop, begging entry.

Out of nowhere an old lady jumped out and grabbed the guy's arm, pulling us to the back of the empty restaurant. She was shaking her head in distaste at the man and tsk-ed. His hand was still pressed into mine and I was still too confused to pull my hand from his.

We hid in the kitchen which was allocated at the back of the shop behind a pile of cardboard boxes. He held a gloved finger to his lips to indicate silence. No Sherlock.

The old lady opened the door, "What do you kids want? We're closed!" The old woman said snappishly at the girls stood in the doorway.

They bowed politely, "We saw Sunggyu Oppa come in here with a girl." So this guy was Sunggyu?

Who was Sunggyu?

The old granny grunted, "Sunggyu who? Go away." She slammed the door shut only to be stopped by one of the girls wedging their foot in.

"Please halmoni, let us in." One of the girls pleaded.

"I don't know who you are looking for. Now stop messing around on the streets and focus on your studies!" She slammed the door shut in their faces.

"Sunggyu" exhaled loudly and leaned back on the wall to his side. He ripped off his hat, dropping my hand and shook out his coloured mop. Now that he took off his disguise I got a better look at Sunggyu, with his small, narrow, yet clear eyes and his cutely formed nose. He wasn't exactly the handsomest man I ever met but his features held a certain charm, handsomeness and passion behind them, making him the most attractive man I had ever met.

The lady came over to us and smacked him around the head.

"Pabo!" She shouted, leaning towards the man sat on the floor who was now glaring at her and rubbing his head, "How could you be as stupid as to go out in public!"

His features held a certain ferociousness as he snapped back, "I needed to get out of the studio Halmoni! I felt as if I was about to suffocate to death  in there!"

"So you are meant to be working right now but your just hanging around? You son of a !" She began hitting him with a dish towel. Quite a humorous sight. 

When they noticed my presence, finally - they stopped.

"Who is she?" The lady asked her grandson.

"I don't kow?" He shrugged nonchalantly in reply. Just the way he said that made my blood boil. She attacked him once more. He cussed and snatched the dish towel from her grip, ing it into an unforgotten corner.

His eyes disappeared as he flashed me an attempted, forced smile that looked more like a painful grimace and spoke in very strained accented english, "Wh-Who are you?"

I guess he forgot that I spoke Korean. I decided to be polite, despite this guy's -like personality, "My name is Maya." I bowed, "I'm a little confused to why I am here."

Sunggyu's gaze traced my body heavily. My skin erupted in goose-bumps, I felt exposed.

The woman sighed heavily and pinched the bridge of her nose, "So you just grabbed this girl without her consent? Without knowing her? How could you be so shameless?" She whined and stomped her foot.

He let out an exasperated breath, pinching the bridge of his nose and squeezing his eyes shut, "I don't know."

"Do you even know how dangerous that is?! A scandal could break out because of this! What if she goes and tells-" 

"Don't you think I know that!" He roared at his grandmother. I flinched back slightly at the fury in his voice. His grandmother, however, did not even blink. 

She narrowed her eyes at him. They both shared the same small eyes that still held so much passion. "I don't know what to make of your tone of voice, but if you're going to disrespect me in that manner get the hell out of my sight." Once again, I was out of their little sphere. They both held eachothers gazes, like animals who were competing for the upper hand.

"Fine." Sunggyu huffed, storming past me without even acknowlaging me. I felt slightly hurt.

She turned to me with a kind smile, "I'm so sorry for his thoughtless actions - can I make you some ramyeon?"

I smiled politely and bowed, "That's very kind of you but no thank you, I need to go home anyway. I'm sorry for the inconvenience."

She shook her head, "No I should apologize for my grandson's behaviour. Such a lovely young lady taken advantage of by such a stupid idiot." She grabbed a brown bag from the counter from behind, and handed it to me, "Take these dumplings at least, I was going to give them to that but you'll probably appreciate them more than he will."

I gratefully took the bag from the woman and bowed, "Thank you! I'll be on my way then." 

 

Hey guys!

Hope you guys liked this chapter, I'll try to update this story as much as I can but I don't know when my next update will be.