The Clerk

Fated [HIATUS]

Warning alarms blared through the chaotic streets of the city, as people, clutching all of their personal belongings that they could carry, ran through the streets in no particular direction. The sounds of children wailing while looking for their moms were prevalent and heard above even the warning alarms. The streets were like a dump, trash were scattered everywhere, houses were overturned as their occupants left in a hurry with everything they could grab. Safety, if only they could get to safety. It didn't matter where, as long as they could get to safety.

The war has officially started.

In the middle of all the chaos, were a man and a woman. They were holding each other and crying as people ran frantically around them. The man pulled away, wiping the tears off the woman's face with his thumb, before planting a soft kiss on her lips.

"We'll meet again, I promise." He assured her as she shook her head and clung to him like there was no tomorrow. And in this situation, there really could never be a tomorrow.

"No, I don't want you to go! You can't go! Why can't you just run away with me? Your family has already gotten to safety. Your children are there. Why can't you just go with me?"

"I can't. I have to fight for our country. I have to help push the enemy forces back! Do you want our country to be occupied by them? Once they take control of us, we'll never have our freedom. We'll never be able to get back together to live our lives the way we have before… I have to do this. I have to help!" He pulled her away roughly by her shoulders, tears glistening in his own eyes. "I love you… but I have to do this."

"But what if you get killed? What if they shoot you? What if you get injured, and no one helps you? What if they leave you to die?!" The woman, though she was being held roughly by her shoulders, managed to push the man's hands away and cling to him again, her nails digging into his back. The man sighed, and pulled her into a strong hug, her hair gently.

"I promise you… We'll meet again." Sighing deeply, he pulled her away again, though gently this time. He looked straight into her tear-stricken eyes, cupping her cheeks with both hands. "Our love will allow us to meet again, my dear. If you really love me… You'll trust me, and you'll let me go. The minute we met, I already knew that our souls were connected. I had already known that I was going to love you forever, even into the next life, and the next, and all the other lives after that. So if we don't meet again, and I don't return to you in this life… We will meet again in the next life. We will meet, and we will fall in love. The minute we lay eyes on each other again, we'll know that we love each other. We can never be brought apart, not by war, not by our parents, not by death. I love you, and only you. Even in the next life, even if you are born a man or a dog, I will still love you and only you."

The woman, incredibly touched by his sincere words, merely sighed and nodded her head. "I love you too… But please, try to return to me in this life. I'll wait for you and only you, until the day I die. I can't love anyone but you." She slowly pulled away from the man, biting down on her lip, still a bit reluctant but obviously comforted by the man's words. The man, not wanting to let her go but he has to, leaned in one more time and planted a soft kiss on the woman's forehead, a lone tear dropping from his eye. The woman tried hard to stifle her cries by covering with her hand, but the sound of her broken heart could not be disguised.

An explosion from a few hundred feet away brought both of them back to the cruel, harsh reality, as the man quickly bade goodbye and ran towards the direction of the explosion. "Get to a safe place! We'll meet again!!!"

------------------------------------

"GAH!" A sudden shout in a man's voice, followed by a loud thud, reverberated through one luxurious apartment in the prestigious section of Seoul City. Said man sat up on the floor, grumpily rubbing his head, as he glared at the alarm clock that hadn't alerted him to wake up. 7:30 am. Great. It wasn't even time to wake up yet.

"What the hell… That dream again." He mumbled as he shuffled tiredly to his kitchen to make coffee. Outside his apartment, audible whispers of "Oppa's awake" and "OMG I wanna see" were heard. He sighed deeply, before turning back to his coffee maker to ignore such sounds, as he was quite used to it already.

Such was the life of Li Jiaheng, better known by his stage name Kris. He was a famous idol and an upcoming actor in Korea, with a talent for rapping and dancing. Though he's ethnically born Chinese, he decided to try his luck in Korea and try to become famous there, and become famous he did. Now he's one of the top stars, and with his fame, fortune also set in. The only downside is, those annoying sasaeng fans always outside the door.

He was once again jolted out of his dreamlike state as his phone rang quite loudly. On the other line was a familiar, friendly voice, which immediately set a smile upon his face. "Yo Lay, what's up with you calling me so early in the morning? I don't have any schedules today, right?"

Zhang Yixing, known to Kris (and everyone) by his nickname Lay, who is also Kris' manager and long-time friend, sighed on the other line. "I know I said that, but one of the broadcasting stations had an emergency and had to move up the shooting time of one of their dramas. So they're going to be using the studio tonight, which means you have to have your comeback rehearsals now."

"What, really? That's fine then. I'll get ready now, come pick me up in fifteen minutes!" He quickly hanged up and dashed to his room, picking out an outfit to wear before hurrying to the bathroom to take a quick bath. Getting out in five minutes, he went to the kitchen with just a towel wrapped around his waist, downing his coffee that had cooled down a bit before, and finished getting ready and dressed up just in time for Lay to come knocking at his door.

He peeked through the peephole to check for sasaeng fans, and was relieved to see just Lay standing out there with a soft smile on his face. Heaving a sigh of relief, he opened the door to let Lay in before closing it so quickly behind him that not even the Flash himself could have gotten through. "Ugh. Thank god those crazy sasaeng girls aren't out there anymore."

"I asked the guards to chase them away." Lay flopped down on the sofa in the living room, Kris' schedule sheet in his hands. "You really should consider moving. Living in such a stressful environment like this, where you always have to watch your back with every little move and always be on edge, can't be good for your health."

"I know, I know." Kris said with a wave of his hand. "That's what you tell me everyday. But I've learned to live with it, and besides, this is the nearest house to the broadcasting station. I don't want to have to wake up 3 hours early everyday just so I can get to work on time. At least here, I'm close to all broadcasting stations at once, and I can just get up 30 minutes earlier and not have to rush to get there."

"Whatever you say…" Lay merely replied with a dismissive shrug of his shoulders, as he quickly remembered just what he had come here for and looked over the schedule sheet. "So I'm crossing out your rehearsal practice for tonight, moving it for 8:15 am today… Then after this you have to meet with a director for an upcoming drama, I think he wants you to star in it. Here's the script." Lay pulled the script out of his bag and handed it to Kris, who quickly scanned through it. "If you like it, then he wants you to audition for it. If not, then there's two other directors you have to meet in the afternoon, another is offering a drama, and the other is offering a movie." Lay handed Kris those other scripts as well.

"Hmmm… Not bad. I'll think about it. Though I really want to star more in action dramas, not sappy love stories like these." Kris wrinkled his nose as he looked over the other script. "The action movie is set in China? This is more my style. Gives me an excuse to go back to my home country."

"Yeah, the director said he wanted an authentic Chinese star to cast in it, and you were the first one that came to mind." Lay then glanced at his clock, and gasped when the dial said 8:00 am. "Either way, bring those scripts with you and review them during your rehearsal break! We need to head out now or we'll be late."

Kris nodded and stood up at once, grabbing his bag on the way out. Lay, who was walking behind him, looked at him up and down before raising an eyebrow.

"You know, you really should hire your own stylist. You're fashionable and all, but sometimes your outfit doesn't seem to match."

Kris carefully looked through the peephole again. Thankfully, the sasaeng fans still weren't there. He grabbed some shoes from the shelf near the door and eyed himself up and down on the full length mirror near the entrance. "What's wrong with my outfit today? I think it's tasteful."

"It's not that. You always seem like you put things on in a hurry. And your makeup isn't fixed either, it's going to be hell for the stylist-noona to remedy it when you get to the broadcasting station."

Kris shrugged as he waited for Lay to walk out the door, before locking it. "I don't know. I've been thinking about getting one too. Maybe I will." They both then hurried to the van, which was thankfully parked just outside the apartment.

------------------------------------

After the uneventful rehearsal, Kris trudged slowly to the van, clinging to Lay for support. Lay helped him inside the van, before sliding the door close. "You really should grab a coffee or something. You seem really tired. You're usually not like this after just one rehearsal."

Kris sighed, rubbing his eyes before trying to stifle a yawn, but to no avail. "I know. I haven't been sleeping well lately. There's just this weird dream that always comes to me the minute I close my eyes."

Lay raised an eyebrow as he glanced at Kris curiously. "What kind of dream?"

"I don't know. It's this couple, in the middle of a battlefield or something, and they're so in love. And then the man said some stuff about them meeting in the next life and all that."

"Huh, that's weird. Are they anyone you recognise in real life?"

"No, not really. Though I feel like every time I dream it, it's like deja vu. Not that it happened to me before, but it just seems like it did. It's weird."

Before they could continue their conversation, the van had arrived at the place where they were supposed to meet the director of the action movie. Kris had turned down the love story drama previously, and insisted to be brought here.

The minute they walked into the director's office, the director enthusiastically stood up from his seat as he bowed profusely, a huge smile on his face. "Kris-ssi! It's such an honour for you to have come here. Have you decided if you want to try out for the role or not?"

"Yes, I decided that I would like to try out." Kris uttered with a smile as he took a seat on the chair opposite the director's table. "I've looked over the script, and it's really something that I want to do. Of course, we will also be shooting in China, if I'm not mistaken?"

"Yes, we're going to shoot in China. You could go to your hometown and visit your family there as well if we're not shooting." The director replied enthusiastically. It seems as though he really wanted Kris to be in his movie.

"Well, I would be honoured to make my big screen debut through your movie. I'll be sure to come by tomorrow for the tryouts. I do hope I'm good enough for the role." Kris replied pleasantly, standing up from the chair and bowing to the director slightly. The director bowed as well.

"Of course, come by anytime tomorrow! One question, do you know how to do Wushu?"

"Eh? Wushu?" Kris blinked at the question. "No, I don't… Is that a hindrance?"

"Oh no, not at all! I was just asking. We'll have a professional instructor on duty to teach you during the set, so it shouldn't be a problem. You would have no problem learning that and doing stunts, right? If you do, please tell me so I can hire a double for you."

"No, no, it's fine. I want to learn something new anyway. I'll come by tomorrow after my rehearsal!" With that done, Kris and the director bowed to each other once again and bade goodbye, Kris happy that he was going to be considered for the role.

"Good job today, Kris. I've canceled the rest of your schedules, since you seem really tired." Lay announced with a smile as both of them walked to the van. Kris threw Lay a grateful look, before getting into the van and making himself comfortable.

"Thanks, man. You're the best. Can you reschedule my rehearsal tomorrow so it's in the morning again? I want to be able to get to the drama set before lunchtime."

"You? Mr. I-Can't-Get-Up-in-the-Morning, rescheduling your rehearsal for the morning?" Lay spat out with a laugh, looking at Kris pointedly. Kris merely shrugged.

"I don't know, I just really want to star in this movie. I feel like it's going to bring something good to my life."

"Bring something good to your life? You're already living the good life."

"I don't know… I just feel like this movie will bring me something even greater. Like it will bring me closer to someone… But I really don't know. I just have a good feeling about it."

"Psh, fine then, speak no more. The broadcasting station will be happy that you're finally willing to come practice early in the morning. Try to sleep well tonight, okay?"

Kris nodded in response as he leaned on the window. They were silent after that, and Kris soon dozed off.

------------------------------------

The minute Kris got home, he showered and changed into his night clothes as he went straight to his bedroom. He then immediately got his phone out to fire up KakaoTalk- not to talk to other celebrities, but with a certain someone he had really connected with and met quite some months ago.

Kris got home after a particularly boring day. Rehearsals, more rehearsals, and attending some interviews. The shooting for the variety show he was casted in was not until the week after, and he didn't know what to do. He didn't feel tired nor sleepy (though he usually would at this time), and he just ate dinner. There was nothing good on TV, and there literally was nothing else to do.

He then got on his laptop, when he suddenly got a bright idea. Get on omegle, and be a normal person for once. Seeing if people would want to talk to Li Jiaheng, and not Kris, the famous idol of Korea. Of course he won't reveal his real identity though- that will surely cause a disaster.

Some of the people were creepy. Some seemed to know that it's him, since they typed something along the lines of "OPPA I KNOW IT'S YOU." He didn't know if that was even intended for him, but it's still unnerving. After an hour of goofing off and not really encountering any interesting people or conversations, he was about to get off when something pulled him back. Okay, fine. One more time. Just one more time. He told himself, as he was getting quite bored with this whole thing anyway.

Suddenly, there was this one person who he talked to, but instantly connected with. He was just bright and friendly, and was able to hold interesting and smart conversations. They talked for about an hour, before Kris glanced at the clock in horror. 1 am. NO. He NEEDED his beauty sleep!

He bade goodbye to the person, but he knew that he needed to get his contact number. He didn't want to just leave him, since this person was really fun to talk to. He felt as though he was finally going to have someone to bug and message during random times, aside from Lay that is.

"Hey, do you have any way I can contact you? Not by phone though, I'm not allowed to give out my phone number," Kris waited for a reply, and then sure enough after some seconds he did reply.

"How about KakaoTalk? My ID is WushuPanda."

"AngryBird90. I'll add you, okay? I really have to go!" With that, he disconnected, but quickly got on his phone to fire up KakaoTalk. Sure enough, the person was still on. He quickly added him, before yawning and then finally going to sleep, not pleased that he wasn't getting his full 8 hours, but still somewhat happy as he felt that he had just made a good friend.

Sure enough, the person was on. He would sometimes talk to him while he's reading over his scripts, composing lyrics, or practicing his rapping. There was never a day he had not talked to him at all.

AngryBird90: Heeeey~ I just got home man. >.< Lots of work today. Sorry I wasn't able to even message you at all.

WushuPanda: Psh, it's fine. It's past 10 though. Don't you need to go to bed?

AngryBird90: Yeah I do, but I can stay up for a while to talk.

WushuPanda: No, go to bed. I can message you tomorrow.

AngryBird90: Fine. Are you sure you're not just sending me away?

WushuPanda: I'm not. I know how much you need your "beauty sleep". ^^

AngryBird90: I think I just heard you say that out loud in a mocking voice. :p

WushuPanda: Oh, you noticed? ;) Go to bed though. You've got to wake up early tomorrow right?

AngryBird90: Yeah, I do actually. One of those rare days I have work in the morning. Talk to you tomorrow~ Night!

WushuPanda: Night. ^^ Sleep well.

Kris felt bad having to log out after such a short conversation, but he really needed to go to bed. He could barely keep his eyes open, and he had to wake up earlier tomorrow because of the morning rehearsal. Suddenly, he regretted having his rehearsal moved to the morning, but nothing could be done about that anymore. His comeback was in a few weeks, and he really has to give it his all. Besides, there was that movie tryouts he had to go to.

------------------------------------

After one intense morning rehearsal (it was getting more and more intense as the comeback draws near), he quickly went to take a shower and dress up to go to the tryouts. This was the part of the day he had been looking most forward to. When he got there, the director quickly bowed and went to him, and then suddenly announced something that he wasn't expecting to hear.

"Kris-ssi! I'm really thankful you've come. You got the role!"

"Eh?" Kris blinked a few times, making sure that he wasn't hearing things. "How come? I haven't even shown you what I can do. And what about the other actors trying out?"

"Well, there was only one other actor we had in mind, and he backed out at the last moment because he was offered a bigger project. As you know, I am very particular about who plays the roles in my movies, and he and you were really the only ones we had in mind. So if you are still willing to be the main role, then you got it!"

"Wow, really? Well, that's great then!" The good news finally sunk in and Kris bowed with a smile, offering his hand which the director heartily shook. "I look forward to working with you!"

After getting the full script and the schedule sheet, Kris and Lay walked to the van, Lay looking through the schedule sheet to see what else Kris was supposed to do for the day. The minute they got out of the broadcasting station's doors though, the overenthusiastic shouts of fans and some reporters met them. Kris blinked in surprise as Lay tried to block the fans from running over to Kris.

"Kris-ssi! We've just heard that you got the role for the movie! Congratulations!" One reporter shouted out. Kris nodded and smiled at the reporter, which made the fans go even more crazy.

"Yes, I was quite surprised at it myself. I'm really looking forward to working with the director!" He then waved and winked at the fans, who grew even wilder with their undying love for their 'oppa'. He and Lay then hurried to the van before the fans go crazy. Once they were safely inside the van, Kris heaved a deep sigh as he brought out his phone. Lay meanwhile, looked over the schedule they have for the day once again, as he was interrupted by the fans.

"You're done for the day, Kris." Lay declared, but received no response. When he lifted his gaze from the paper, he saw that Kris was engrossed in whatever he was doing on his phone. Lay raised an eyebrow and cleared his throat quite loudly, which made Kris quickly look up from his phone.

"Huh? What?" Kris blinked at Lay, quickly putting his phone in his pocket. Lay, not wanting to pry, merely shook his head with a smile and repeated what he said.

"We're done for the day. Do you have anywhere you need to go to? The van can drop you off."

"Yeah, just drop me off at the convenience store near my house." Lay nodded, and the rest of the ride was uneventful.

When the van arrived in front of the convenience store, Lay told the driver to drive further away from the store for safety reasons, while he waited for Kris to put on his disguise. With someone as famous as he is, a disguise was always necessary. After he was done, he slowly alighted from the van, careful that no one will recognise or see him.

He bade goodbye to Lay as he walked down to the convenience store, relieved that people weren't paying attention to him. The clerks at the store, one girl and one somewhat tall, dark-haired guy, both bowed to him but showed no signs of recognising him. Good, he was safe then. He quickly got what he needed, and at that moment, his phone alerted him of a text.

Hey~ What are you doing right now? ^^

A small smile formed on his face as he walked up to the cashier, put down his things in front of the register, and waited for the clerk to ring it. The clerk, a somewhat tall, imposing guy with dark hair, immediately snapped out of his texting as well. Kris was still looking at his phone and not paying attention to his surroundings as the clerk greeted him softly, almost inaudibly. He then rung up Kris' purchases, and then the minute Kris put his phone away after he had sent a text message back to the person he was texting, the clerk's phone alerted him of a text message. Coincidentally, it was the same as Kris' text tone, so he pulled out his phone and was surprised when it wasn't his. He blinked and finally looked up at the clerk, who was focused on putting the things he had already rung up in a plastic bag. Kris made nothing of it and waited for him to finish.

After a few minutes, the clerk had finished ringing up his purchases. "That would be 60,000 won, sir."

Kris nodded and fished the money out of his wallet, handing the money to the clerk without looking at him as he was busily watching his phone for the reply. In the process, their hands touched a bit, and Kris couldn't help but feel a little… something. He couldn't quite put what the feeling was, but there was something. He looked abruptly up at the clerk, who gasped a bit, almost inaudibly, as their eyes met.

Time seemed to stand still between them as they stared at each other for what seemed like eternity, but in reality was only a few seconds. Kris' mouth stood agape, as he wanted to say something, anything, but he didn't know what. He was just standing there stupidly, mouth opening and closing, but he couldn't say a word. Any word. The clerk stared at him likewise, a look of surprise, confusion, and a hint of recognition present on his face. Both of them just stood there like that for a few seconds, before they were brought back to the real world by the girl clerk who was working with the boy.

"Ya! Why are you so slow at getting the money? We have a line waiting, you know." Her scowl at the boy turned into a sweet smile at Kris as she bowed slightly. "I'm sorry for that sir, he is new to this store."

"A-Ah, that's… that's fine." Kris managed to squeak out as he was rudely snapped back to reality. Likewise, the boy clerk behind the counter seemed to be flustered as well, as he kept putting the money in the wrong slots in the machine, which earned him another scolding from the girl clerk.

Kris gathered his groceries and was about to turn back to the boy and ask his name when a girl came out of nowhere and bumped into Kris. As she apologised to him, she looked up and gasped audibly, causing the other people in line to get curious.

"Oh my god, it's Kris! You're Kris, aren't you?!" The girl squealed as she jumped up and down while trying to grab Kris' coat. Kris' eyes widened as he moved back away from the fan.

"No, no, you're wrong! I'm not--" He then backed into a shelf, causing his hat to fall off, revealing his bright blonde hair that was recognisable from anywhere. Immediately, the fans screamed as they tried to get to him. He dashed to the cashier and pulled the boy clerk along, running to the back of the store away from the fangirls.

The boy clerk, completely taken by surprise, stumbled as he was pulled along, but he quickly regained his balance and managed to match Kris' pace. "Wait! Why are you bringing me along?! Where are we going?!"

"Show me the back exit of your store! We don't have much time!!!" The clerk then sped up and led the way, Kris still holding on tightly to his wrist.

Once safely out of sight of the rabid fangirls, both boys stopped to catch their breath as they panted heavily.

"Th-thanks…" Kris managed to blurt out in between deep breaths. The clerk only nodded his head, as he couldn't quite catch his breath yet.

"I… should get back to work." The boy finally blurted out after some moment of somewhat awkward silence. Kris couldn't help but notice his accent.

"Your accent… are you, by any chance, Chinese?" Kris asked as nonchalantly as he could. The boy nodded slightly.

"Yes. I just came from China a few months ago… I'm still learning to speak Korean like they do."

"Ah… that's… nice." A few minutes of awkward silence passed between them, before the clerk finally made a point to move. He bowed slightly towards Kris, and began to half walk, half run back towards the store.

"Please get home safely." He called to Kris as Kris stayed behind, blinking in surprise as the situation hadn't quite sunk in yet, but waving at the boy as he disappeared into the store again.

"Ack… I forgot to get his name…" Kris clicked his tongue in frustration as he shoved his hands into his pockets and walked home. He then kicked a lone can in frustration as he just realised that he also forgot his groceries inside the store as he was in such a hurry to get out.

Looks like it's going to be ramen for dinner tonight. Again.

------------------------------------

The girl clerk was waiting with her hands on her hips and tapping her foot impatiently when the boy finally walked in. He bowed towards her in apology, before taking his place at the cashier again. Everything had calmed down then, and the mess had been cleaned up.

"How do you know Kris?" The girl asked the boy menacingly, a scowl on her face. He merely shook his head profusely.

"I-I don't know him at all! He just grabbed me because he needed to know where the back door was in order to escape."

"Liar. He obviously wouldn't leave his groceries behind here if he didn't know you. He left it here because he knew you were going to bring it to him anyway." The girl accused. She then took the boy by the collar, fire present in her eyes. "Where does he live? What's your relationship with him?! TELL ME!" It turns out, she was one of Kris' many obsessed fans.

"I-I swear, I really don't know at all! This was my first time meeting him. I didn't even know it was him!" The poor boy looked like he was about ready to cry, but the girl refused to back down.

"I KNOW YOU KNOW HIM!" She was shouting now, attracting the attention of the other customers who were in the store. "YOU'RE BOTH CHINESE TOO! WHAT'S YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM!?"

"I-I really don't know!!!" The boy raised his voice as well, but not as much as the girl's. "I really don't know him! If I did, I would have told you! And if I did, I wouldn't be working in a place like this!"

"What's happening in here?!" The manager suddenly came from the back room. The girl immediately backed down, while the boy looked at him in horror.

"He was just saying that he didn't like working in a place 'like this'!" The girl suddenly piped up, twisting the boy's words so that it seemed that he was the bad guy. The boy shook his head violently and was about to explain, when the manager interrupted him.

"You're fired. I knew you were trouble from the very start. I only hired you because your pay is cheap, but I don't want anyone like you causing trouble at my store!"

"N-no, you don't understand sir, I--"

"GET OUT!"

The boy recoiled in horror as he sighed, went to the back room to change into his street clothes, and quickly got out of the store.

What am I going to do now…?

 

 

______________________

A/N: Okay, so I am back. xD With TaoRis. I'm so obsessed with this pairing right now, seriously. So here it is! :D

Just a few notes here. Pardon me for any inaccuracies about KakaoTalk, as I've actually never used it before. xD And also, their KakaoTalk ID's. Yeah, I thought of them, but if there are any actual users out there whose ID's are these… I'm sorry. xD I truly didn't know, since I don't use KakaoTalk. And I can't think of anything else that matched them lol. And also, yes. Lay is Krisala's manager. I know, totally badass, right. Let's just pretend that same age guys can be managers for an idol. Idk. xD Be careful who you interact with on omegle. It just might be Kris, or some other English-speaking idol. ;D

Anyways, I hope you like it! :D Leave a comment and subscribe for faster updates ^^ Also, this is dedicated to my friend YuriNamja. You're the best, man. ;D You inspired me to do this fic. He's actually the one who introduced me to this pairing, and to EXO-M in general. So thank him too if you liked this fic! ;D