Chapter 1: It all started...

2010: A Certain Kind of Feeling

I was born in Hangzhou (杭州), a city not very far from Shanghai (上海), on the dawn of Nov. 1, 1994. My parents named me Kim Iseul (金/김 이슬), and it has the meaning of morning dew. There is a Chinese proverb describing how the little dew looks unnoticeable and weak, but has the ability to create a hole in a stone over time. My parents wished for me to become a person like that, to have the strong persistence and belief and live life to the fullest. 

My father was a graduate student studying in China at the time, and my mother accompanied him. Three years after I was born my father graduated and got a job at Canada, our family moved to Canada. My father was always very busy traveling to several other countries, running a top management position at a well known company TN Entertainment. 

Since I was small, my parents signed me up for all kinds of professional programs. Everyday after school, I always have classes to go to. Mostly dance classes, but also piano and vocal. Ever since I can remember, my dream was to become a K-pop idol singer, or so I thought my dream was. 

Alone, at age of 14 I moved into Suwon (水原/수원) with my older cousin there, a place I called home though it was the very first time for me step into its ground. Suwon is a city not too far from central Seoul, about an hour of public transit. 

Korea was very different from China and Canada, but I adjusted fast enough. Soon I got back to my routine of training, except this time, I started to traine under a large label company, JYP Entertainment. 

Seulong (임슬옹oppa was one of the nicest oppa I met in JYPE. Because I had hardly heard any other genre outside of the popular songs, when he introduced me to a song I was left dumbfounded. It was a song named "In Your Shadow" by Vanilla Unity (바닐라유니티). It was a rock song that immediately captured my ear. I nagged Seulong oppa to share me songs everyday, and I began to walk into the indie and rock scene. Despite my parents' disagreement, I started to work at Doollidooli Café (둘리두리) in 2009 as a onstage singer. I left Suwon. Me and my best friend No Mikyung (노미경) rented with two guy friends, Park Hyungseok (박형석) and Kang Hyukmin (강혁민) who were both very popular amongst female students, recognized publically as famous Ulzzangs.

I did not tell my parents about my job, they'd get worried and say that I should spend all my time doing the "right" thing so I can debut earlier. Besides, I saw that it's their dream for me to become a K-pop star, not a part-time Café singer. 

 

One particular day in the late autumn of 2010, Hyungseok was hosting a party at our house. While Hyungseok tried to convince me to stay to meet his friends, I had to head to Doollidooli and half joked, "Come to my café with your friends later!" 

That night, I just had an hour of stage time. I sang some songs by Jaurim (자우림), as well as  rock songs by my favorite rock band, Queen. 

Hyungseok walked inside the cafe at 11:10, along with some other unfamiliar faces. I was beginning to play the piano for my last song, "Truly Madly Deeply" by Savage Garden. 

I was surprised that Hyungseok decided to come here, so as soon as I got off the stage I went over to his table, "Oppa--" I noticed Chihoon, who I am friends with and met up just this morning at training. 

Hyungseok smiled at me and pulled me to sit between him and another guy, "Iseul-ah, they are my friends, Taejun (태준), Jiho (지호), Chihoon (치훈), and Joonyoung (준영)." 

I looked at that man beside me. I bowed my head, "Nice to meet you, I'm Kim Iseul." 

He smiled, "Jung Joonyoung, call me Joonyoung oppa is good too." 

His smile was pretty, but disturbing. 

So disturbing I wasn't able to sleep well that night. 

So disturbing... Because I felt something weird inside me fluttering the moment I saw his smile. 

 

We drank together, not coffee but soju, at the sidebar. I was still underage by quite a bit, but it was common to drink a little even for middle schoolers. We chatted about how's life and played games together. 

Park Taejun was a very mature guy, he's much older than me by almost 10 years. He is a fun person who is easygoing and can easily become friends with. 

Park Jiho is relatively quiet. He has a very gentle smile, and he seems to be a nice boyfriend. And yes, I do think his girlfriend Hyeju (헤주) is really lucky to have a man like him. 

Chihoon, who I was already friends with, is a stunning heartthrob type of guy. A sentence from him charms the waitresses every time they come near. He is really a sweet ideal type of guy, and he hardly drank while the other guys drank cup after cup. He had been doing some work with my agency, JYPE, and that's how we got to know each other. But he had told me to not tell anybody about him working there, so I pretended I met him for the first time in front of his friends. 

Joonyoung though... I don't know much about him. Other than his name and age. I couldn't tell his emotions very well. Though he was nice and often making jokes, I wondered if he was only acting like he was having fun. 

Perhaps he noticed that I was looking at him often, he leaned over to me and asked, "Is there flowers on my face or something?" 

I shook my head quickly, "No no no--" 

His lips curved up a little, looking at me seemingly entertained, "Never seen a good looking guy before? Cause you're always with Hyungseok." 

I laughed and turned to look at Hyungseok. I realized Hyungseok was very drunk already, so I suggested, "Hyungseok oppa, let's go home, kay?" 

Hyungseok nodded, holding on to my hand to stand up. 

Chihoon stood up and called the waitress over, making a little joke as he paid for the drinks. Chihoon didn't even drank half a bottle through the whole night, he smiled, "Yah Iseul-ah, I'll drive Taejun and Joonyoung back. But do you want any help?" 

I choked. This is not the first time, I've always taken care of Hyungseok. "No, of course not. I'll call Kang Hyukmin if I ever need help!" 

Chihoon hesitated and gave me a look, but then smiled again, "Nice meeting you! I'll text you later!" 

I let Hyungseok's arm rest over my shoulders, and walked onto the street. I felt a constant stare at the side of me and it was Joonyoung, but I pretended I didn't know about it. As Chihoon's car pullover and the guys got in, I called the cab. When I tried to let Hyungseok sit in the taxi, he started waving his arm while mumbling something unclear which caused me to panic a little. I looked at my phone and started dialing Hyukmin's number. 

Chihoon's side door opened again. Joonyoung took my phone away, "Don't call Hyukmin hyung, he's sleeping already. I'll go with you." without my permission, he quickly stuffed Hyungseok inside and pushed me in, seat belting both of us at the speed of light. Then he went to sit at the front beside the taxi driver, and gave out me and Hyungseok's address. 

I blinked blankly. Jung Joonyoung is so weird. He was pretty drunk himself,  how is it that his actions are so quick and un-drunk like? 

 

When we settled Hyungseok, it was already 4AM. 

I could tell Joonyoung was still very drunk by the he speaks, so I told him to go take a shower and sleep. After showering, Joonyoung came to my room, he sat down on the end of my bed, "You're 17, right?" 

I hesitated, "Korean age yes..... I'm turning 16, international age wise." 

"Ah I see..." he reached out to my hair. 

My motion paused, and I felt stiff. I looked to him, "Joonyoung-sshi, are you.. Okay?" 

He moved to sit closer, "Cute... Little..." he fell into my arms before he finished talking. 

I felt his body heat as I hesitated to act, "Joonyoung-sshiJoonyoung-sshi!?" his body was hot, burning hot. 

I carefully straightened his body and felt his forehead. 

Fever... He was out with a single shirt in the cold night of fall, and it was raining slightly, plus he was drunk. 

I regretfully hit my head. Aish... Should have insisted for Chihoon to take him back. I was tired, but I got on my feet and lifted Joonyoung on my bed and decided to call Hyukmin up. As soon as I got to Hyukmin's room I changed my mind, Hyukmin oppa has early schedule tomorrow and he hasn't been in very good condition himself. I passed by Mikyung's room to see her sound asleep. Hah... I signed and went to get a wet tower and medicines. 

When I went back to my room, Joonyoung was lying flat on his stomach clearly not feeling well. 

"Joonyoung-sshiJoonyoung-sshi, turn around, ne?" I called to him, turning him to lie on his back. He mumbled something that sounded like "Eomma..." 

I wiped his face with wet tower several times, and covered his forehead in the end. I sat by him, uncertain of what else I should do. I watched his every little facial expression. He frowned a little, intuitively I reached out and slightly touched his glabella area between his thick eyebrows. For some very weird reason, I didn't want to see him frowning. "Gwaenchanha?" 

He squinted to look at me, moved his lips to say something, but nothing came out. I pulled toward him, "Mworago?" 

He didn't speak further but bobbed his head up and his lips touched mine for a very brief moment, before I could react he fell back and closed his eyes and flipped around again lying on his stomach. 

I stared at him blankly for about the 10th time in a night. What... Was that? D--did he just...? 

I touched my lips slightly in shock. I shook my head quickly, its not like that. He didn't mean to, he's drunk, he's unconscious, it was an absolute accident. 

I gave out a sign, and went to search the internet for how to make Haejangguk (해장국; a kind of soup that helps to cure hangover). 

According to what the recipe suggested, I decided to cut out some cabbages and other vegetables and ran to the street food booth three blocks away to buy some ox blood pudding. I begged that ajjuma to let me buy some, because there are no markets opened at this late of night, so she finally gave in and kindly gave them to me. I followed the instructions on the internet carefully step by step, at my fastest speed it took about an hour to make. I looked to the clock, and realized it was 6 in the morning already. I covered the hot beverage and brought it into my room and left it on 

Jung Joonyoung was silent asleep. I watched him closely for a while, fascinated by his good looks. I watched him until I tired quickly and fell asleep sitting beside the bed. 

 

When I woke up again at 8, I found him not there anymore and the blanket on me instead. I stood up rubbing my eyes, "Joonyoung-sshiJoonyoung-sshi?" and walked out into the hall, looking into both Hyukmin and Hyungseok's rooms. Where could he go?! Worried, I grabbed Hyungseok's phone and searched his initials "ㅈㅈㅇ" for his number. As soon as Joonyoung picked up, I quickly asked "Where are you, Joonyoung-sshi where are you?" 

Through his breath, he seemed to have chuckled a little. 

"Mwo... Joonyoung-sshi!" that just made me worried. He's a bit of a weird guy, who knows if he's conscious or not and what he could do. I didn't. I just met him for the first day. "Jeogiyo!" 

"Yeogi (here)." the voice came from the phone, as well as directly behind me. 

I turned around, looking at him blankly. 

"Already missed me?" Joonyoung smiled at me. 

I didn't know how to react, "Wh...where were you? I looked for you..." 

He shrugged, "I was in the kitchen area." 

I suddenly got annoyed, I yelled, "Yah! Jung Joonyoung!" 

He obviously was taken by my sudden yelling, "Wae...yo?" 

"I called you like that many times, did you not hear?" I lowered my voice again as I walked to the kitchen. 

"I didn't hear you.." he said in a small voice. We were both silent for a while before he spoke again, "Mianhae... geurigo.... gomabda." 

He spoke so softly that I can just barely hear what he said. I don't even know why, but that strange feeling approached me again. That disturbing feeling I had when I first saw him smiling at me. That disturbing and foreign feeling that I never have felt before. I didn't know what kind of feeling that was, but its weird and foreign to me, and I wanted to avoid it. Very silly, I thought to myself myself perhaps I need to go see a doctor. 

Joonyoung smiled at me, "Ja... Oppa prepared breakfast and fruits to thank you, do you want to eat it or not?" he winked, but not in a playful way, in a cheerful way. 

I rushed to sit down at the kitchen table and waited for him to give me food, "Yea." 

He seemed to be pleased, and turned to take food out. "Oppa..." with his back facing me, I heard him say, "It's not Joonyoung-sshiOppa-ibnidang. Call me oppa! (준영씨아니에요오빠입니당오빠 말해봐!)" 

"Neh?"