Who would've ever thought a day gone so wrong could turn out so lovely?

Our Love is Like a Song | starring SNSD's Yuri

 

Her black stilettos made a clicking sound as they came into contact with the pavement in an unsteady rhythm as she paced the pavement, a frown etched on her face. Her head turned to the side occasionally, making her brown waves bounce slightly at the sudden movements. A soft sigh escaped as her eyes darted across the screen of her pink phone, re-reading the address emailed to her. She glanced to her left, hoping that she could find any clue of her actual whereabouts but her shoulders slumped slightly as she took in the unfamiliar sight. In her daze, she felt her phone getting knocked out of her grip as her hand was pushed to the side roughly, earning a surprised gasp from her as well as the woman who bumped into her before they both cringed as it hit the ground, the screen cracking almost immediately. The woman offered a short apology while bowing a little before hurrying off in a rush, unnoticed by Yuri who was currently slightly squatting on the ground as she examined her broken phone, almost in tears.

 

Just as she was about to let out a string of expletives cursing whatever higher beings might there be, she felt a cold drop of water on her cheek, followed by another on her head and another on her arm. Her eyes widened slightly in realisation and she shielded her head with her hand, frantically looking for shelter nearby. Spotting a bus stop from afar, Yuri was about to jog slowly towards it when her eyes caught sight of a bus as it drove past her.

 

“118... 118?! I can take that home! Wait!”

 

She broke into a sprint as it slowed to a stop at the bus station, a long queue of people already forming. Yuri heard a snap from beneath her as she went down, her arms darting out to support herself. Falling to the ground, she cursed as she yanked the black stiletto off her feet, its detached heel lying on the ground near her. Hitting the ground with her shoe out of frustration, she pushed herself onto her feet, brushing the dust off her jeans, holding both her stilettos in one hand. Yuri looked down at the ground as she trudged to the bus stop, the rain already beginning to soak her from head to toe, making her hair a disheveled, wet mess. Plopping herself onto the bench, she pouted slightly and watched as the bus rounded a corner, disappearing out of sight almost immediately.

 

“Don’t worry, it was full anyway,” came a voice from beside her. Startled, she whipped her head to the left, blushing slightly as she finally noticed a man sitting on the opposite side of the bench. His head was hung low, making her wonder if he was actually addressing her.

 

“Um—are you talking to me?” she questioned, pointing at herself as she faced the strange man. Her eyes eyed his outfit wordlessly.

 

“I don’t know... Maybe I’ve actually gone crazy and I’m just talking to myself. Considering how horrible today has been, that wouldn’t actually be a surprise,” he muttered, loud enough for her to hear as he tilted his head back, his eyes closed before sighing.

 

“Tell me about it,” she groaned, rubbing at her neck tiredly as she shivered from the cold. The silence overcame them once more as they silently contemplated on their next course of action.

 

She darted her eyes back and forth from her companion’s face to the floor, opening slightly before closing it again, hesitant about saying anything else. Her mind made up, she sat up a little and dropped her hands to her side, gripping at the bench slightly as she rocked back and forth.

 

“So do you play?” she questioned, gesturing at the guitar case that lay by his side. He chuckled lowly before turning to her with a teasing smirk on his face, amused at her awkwardness.

 

“No. I just like to lug this around to impress girls, noona,” he replied, waiting to see her reaction. He didn’t have to wait long as Yuri turned to him with widened eyes, agape.

 

“W—what did you just call me?” she stuttered, tripping over her own words as she stared at the younger man in disbelief and a slight embarrassment, evident in her warm cheeks.

 

“You dropped this,” he replied, tossing her a familiar wallet, making her pat frantically at her jean pockets, cringing at her carelessness as she took her wallet back.

 

“I could call you by your name but I’d rather you tell me your name yourself. Unless you prefer to be called Cinderella-sshi...” he trailed off, staring pointedly at her stilettoes with a smirk. Yuri was at a loss for words as she looked away, embarrassed, a small smile playing on her lips. She chuckled lightly, the only response she could muster to avoid making a bigger fool of herself.

 

“Told you I had a horrid day,” she muttered quietly, pouting as she stared at her feet. The rain made a irregular tapping sound as it hit the roof of the bus stop, filling the awkward silence. She looked up abruptly, only realising that he was probably waiting for her to introduce herself to him.

 

“Um. Yuri. It’s nice to meet you,” she croaked, her voice cracking slightly much to her embarrassment as she cleared before sticking her hand out, offering him a handshake. He stared amusedly at her as she stared right back, unfazed, only looking away once to glance expectantly at her outstretched hand.

 

“Kai—and the pleasure is all mine” he stated before reaching for her hand, keeping his eyes trained on hers as he bent down to place a chaste kiss on her fingers. Her eyes widened at the sudden contact as she pulled away to rest her hands in her lap, feeling her cheeks warm up once again. She fidgeted in her seat, twirling her fingers distractedly as Kai observed her actions secretly, feeling the corners of his mouth curl up in amusement. Her eyes flickered from one object to another, looking in every direction except in his as she silently prayed that the rain would stop soon. As if mocking her further, it just began to pour heavier as thunder roared, further adding to her anxiety.

 

She flinched in surprise as a convertible stopped right in front of her, beeping repeatedly.

 

“Yuri? Is that you?” a female voice called out from inside the car as the window on the passenger side rolled down. Both their faces immediately brightened as their eyes met.

 

“Tiffany!” Yuri exclaimed as she caught sight of her close friend, immediately running towards the edge of the bus stop, unwilling to step into the rain. She ducked her head to peek into the red two-seater from Tiffany’s window, bowing slightly as she greeted Tiffany’s partner. She had missed Tiffany dearly since the two lost contact when Yuri moved away to live by herself after getting her dream job. They exchanged numbers and promises to meet up soon and Tiffany regretfully left her at the bus stop, unable to bring her along in the car.

 

“Bye! Thanks for the umbrella!” Yuri called out as the car drove away before turning around to face Kai as he awkwardly rubbed at his neck quietly, having been excluded out of the little conversation the two girls shared. Gesturing at the umbrella, Yuri shot him a meaningful look as she grinned.

 

“Let’s go,” she cheered, beckoning for Kai to walk with her. The younger man shrugged nonchalantly before slinging his guitar case over his shoulder, taking the umbrella out of her hands. He opened it with ease and offered her his arm with a mischievous smirk, making the older woman giggle as she linked her arms with his, somewhat glad that she met him.

 

“Noona, your shoulder is getting wet,” Kai urged as he positioned the umbrella closer to her side.

 

“Stop calling me that! It makes me feel old,” she complained, pushing the umbrella back towards him. They continued to quarrel as they walked along the pavement, the umbrella moving back and forth between them, both unwilling to back down.

 

“Look, why don’t we just not use the umbrella? Okay? Now we’ll both be sick,” Yuri suggested irritatedly, knowing she would never win the argument but still not wanting to admit defeat. She snatched the umbrella from Kai’s hands and closed it, making Kai freeze suddenly as the rain began to drench him. He turned to Yuri, slightly taken aback at her impulsive actions. They shared a meaningful look and he shrugged as they continued walking, twirling occasionally, feeling like kids again.

 

“There’s no turning back now.”

 

“...I’m not sure I want to either.”

 

Yuri’s shoulders shook uncontrollably as she placed a hand over , the other on her stomach, her loud laughter barely muffled.

 

“Complicate girl! Jeoldan noran daedap hajima... Na gwaenchanheun namjaran geol! Don’t be silly, girl. You’re my miracle,” Kai sang with his eyes closed, kicking at the puddles on the pavement, splashing water everywhere. His eyebrows were wrinkled in mock focus as he attempted to imitate the dance movements he saw in the music video, much to Yuri’s entertainment.

 

“Ring ding dong ring ding dong ring diggi ding diggi ding ding ding,” he continued, making Yuri double up in laughter as he messed up on the movements purposely, grinning at her as she knelt on the ground, holding onto her stomach. Listening to her laughing hysterically, Kai couldn’t help but join in as well as he approached her, helping her up on her feet as her laughter subsided. She giggled some more and stumbled back, gripping onto his arms, dizzy from laughing so hard. He supported her easily, chuckling at her silliness and began pulling her along, continuing on their journey to the nearest subway station.

 

The rain gradually stopped amidst their conversation, consisting mainly of lame jokes, unnecessary laughter and a lot of teasing. They stepped into the warm subway station, still immersed in their pointless chatter, oblivious to the curious stares they got, considering they were wet from head to toe.

 

“I'll send you home Yuri-sshi. It’s partly my fault that you’re drenched. I wouldn’t want you to faint somewhere when you’re alone,” he offered as they stood near the platform, waiting for the train.

 

“You don’t need to! I can take care of myself!” she insisted even though she clearly knew she wouldn’t win this argument. Kai prove her right, pestering her until she gave in, just as the train slid to a stop in front of them.

 

“After you,” he crooned, bowing dramatically as he gestured at the train door, a playful smirk on his face. Yuri laughed at his actions and curtsied jokingly before making her way onto the train with mock elegance, dragging him with her. They sat in a comfortable silence opposite each other, staring out the window, exhausted from the day’s events.

 

He paced back and forth restlessly, mentally practicing what he was going to say. Everything he rehearsed multiple times in the mirror went out his head when looked up hearing tentative footsteps approaching him, belonging to the one girl who he dearly missed. The same girl he has never shown his real self to. How ironic to think they are in a relationship. They were practically living half a lie. They both stared at each other wordlessly, taking in each other’s appearance, neither willing to start saying anything. Kai instantly grinned but wiped it off almost instantly, nonchalantly holding out a bouquet of flowers which she hesitantly accepted, her expression unchanging, before taking a seat on a bench nearby.

 

“So was he your cousin or—” Kai started, his face a mask of indifference before he was abruptly cut off.

 

“He was not my cousin,” Krystal replied, monotonously, looking away from him.

 

“Ah right. Your childhood frie—” he continued, unfazed, only to be interrupted once again.

 

“He’s not just a friend, Kai! He’s my lover. I love him. Not you! I am cheating on you Kai, don’t you get it?” she stated bluntly, already shouting by the time she finished the sentence as she stood up from the bench, staring at him with cold, teary eyes. Kai turned to stare at the ground silently, his mouth set in a straight line. He saw how they behaved intimately with each other but didn’t want to accept it, only worsening the blow when it finally came and struck him across his face.

 

“This—is the problem with you Kim Jong In,” she added as she gesturing at him pointedly. “You are so clueless when it comes to me! I don’t even know if you like me anymore! Do you even care? Did you stop caring after you finally got me? Heck! I’m not even sure you liked me in the first place! Was it just my imagination? Kim Jong In, answer me!”

 

He remained silent throughout her outburst, not wanting to say or do anything to fuel her anger. Krystal breathed hard as she stared at him in disbelief as he did not even make a move to ask her to stay. Scoffing, she wiped away at the wasted tears she shed for him and turned to leave, not looking back.

 

A tear slid down his cheek as he stared at his phone, his eyes darting across the screen repeatedly, rereading the words over and over again.

 

‘If it wasn’t clear enough for you, we are over.’

 

“Jung Soojung. Soojung. Crystal. Krystal. Born October 24th 1994 in San Francisco. Allergic to apples. Still loves eating them. Hates cucumbers. Loves mangoes, avocadoes, burritos and meat. Relieves stress by screaming. Cold-hearted. Blunt. Sarcastic. Hot-tempered. Stubborn. Sometimes adorable. Kind at times. Secretly caring. Occasionally sweet,” Kai muttered as he stared quietly at his phone screen, staring at the same ten words as it remained unchanged, “Was the best thing that’s ever been mine...”

 

“She didn’t know me. The real me. But I have come to know the real her. Does it matter now?”

 

He spaced out as he stared out the window, rearranging his thoughts when his eyes refocused, resting on the reflection of a pretty brunette, her eyes closed as she leaned against the glass, her expression at peace. She suddenly let out a sigh, making Kai turn away, not wanting to be caught staring at the older woman as she sat across from him, her own troubles temporarily forgotten.

 

“So you dance too, huh? I find that hard to believe considering how awful you were back there in the rain,” Yuri teased making the younger man scratch the back of his neck, flustered as he recalled the scene.

 

“I was just trying to make you laugh!” he defended weakly as he kicked at the ground, making the older woman giggle in amusement.

 

“A—anyway, I wouldn’t want you to faint from my charisma,” he added haughtily, desperate to regain his dignity. Yuri simply smiled at him in response, still unconvinced though she kept shut, not wanting to bruise his ego even further. Noticing that Yuri was still skeptical of his skills, Kai pulled out his iPod, plugging it into his mini speaker, shoving it into her hands resolutely. Stepping in front of her with a determined look on his face, he began to pop and lock to the music, occasionally moving closer towards her teasingly though she remained calm throughout, a small smile playing on her lips. He ended his short performance and posed like a professional, smirking expectantly at Yuri.

 

She brought her hands to cover as she let out a fake yawn as she turned her attention to his iPod instead, browsing through his songs, impressed at his taste in music. With his mouth agape, Kai stared as the older girl walked away from him, disinterested, scowling at her back. He sulked silently as he fell into step beside her, shoulders slumped defeatedly making the older woman smile even wider in amusement. Chuckling slightly, she glanced at the younger man, nudging him slightly, still earning no response for him.

 

“You were absolutely wonderful Kai. Best thing I’ve seen all day, honestly,” she crooned, rolling her eyes as his face instantly brightened, clearly pleased by her words.

 

As they reached her doorstep, she turned completely around to face him, laughing as she noticed that his silly smile have not left his face.

 

“Thank you for everything Kai,” she whispered quietly, sincerely grateful.

 

“Everything?”

 

“Everything.”

 

“Thank you too, Yuri-sshi. And don’t fall sick.”

 

As he turned to walk away, Yuri called out to him, making him turn to look at her, his eyebrows raised.

 

“Do you think we’ll be able to meet again soon?” she asked, her head tilted to the side, already halfway into her house.

 

“Well I do know where you live don’t I?” Kai teased, smirking slightly.

 

“Hmm... I’ll take that as a yes and hold you to that! See you around Kai!” she teased back, her tongue slightly sticking out as she closed the door.

 

Kai laughed at her actions and hailed down a cab, knowing that it will cost him a lot to get to his house on the other side of town.

 

“I’d do it all over again.”

 

~

 

Wheeeee~ Longest oneshot so far...

It's a happier one this time...

I'm no longer sick!

Sorry for the wait!

 

Thank you for commenting and subscribing~

Till next time...