Drunk

First Comes Marriage

 

Shin Hye was helluva drunk. She knows it and she’s not even going to be apologetic about it. She’s going to throw up all over their living room carpet for her insufferable husband to clean.  The husband who wouldn’t allow her to work. In what era does he thinks he’s living?

A wife should stay at home, Yong Hwa said that morning dismissively to end their conversation. That very sentence sparked an argument that left both in a very sour mood. And when her friend called her to meet up, she immediately said yes, she’ll come. To hell with cooking dinner and folding the laundry.

Shin Hye struggled to keep herself from tumbling down. She wobbled to the elevator and mistakenly went off the wrong floor, twice, before getting it right. She was fumbling with the keys. Her keys weren’t cooperating with her she thought, exasperated. She threw the keys in frustration and banged on the door instead.

An irritated Yong Hwa opened the door. He crossed his arms over his chest as he looked at Shin Hye disapprovingly. “I’m surprised you even decided to come home.” He bit out condescendingly.

“I’ll come home whenever and whatever time I want to.” Shin Hye pushed Yong Hwa aside and marched inside in an unsteady manner.

Yong Hwa closed his eyes and sighed to curb the bubbling anger coming forth. Earlier in their marriage he learned not to match her anger. It's better if one of them is collected while the other is angery. When he reached the living room, his wife of almost two years was unloading everything she drank and ate on the carpet. “You’re a mess.”

Shin Hye looked at him sharply. She opened to say something, but her stomach wasn’t finish unloading. She doubled over, clutched her stomach and threw up some more.

Yong Hwa clucked his tongue, walked to her, held up her hair and gently rubbed her back. He’s still angry with her, but he can’t just watch her be a mess.

“Sit on the couch.” Yong Hwa directed when it seemed like Shin Hye’s finish throwing up. He caringly assisted her on the couch.

“Did you cook your own meal, dear husband?” Shin Hye slurred as she watched Yong Hwa go to the bathroom. “That’s a wife’s job, you know!” She shouted.

Yong Hwa looked at her pointedly as he emerged from the bathroom carrying a wet towel. He silently and gently wiped her face with the towel. Afterwards, he knelt down and removed her stilettos. He softly wiped her feet with the towel then massaged her foot. He knew her feet always ache after wearing high-heeled shoes.

“You’re angry.” Shin Hye stated the obvious. “I feel awful.” What happened to not being apologetic? But how can she not feel bad when her husband’s taking such good care of her even if he’s angry with her?

“If you feel awful now, wait until you wake up later.” Yong Hwa looked up. He was surprised to see tears running down his wife’s flushed cheeks. “What? Why?” He abruptly stood up, alarmed by the tears.

“Why are you so nice?” Shin Hye wailed. “You should be livid! It’s past midnight!”

“And you’re drunk. Don’t forget that.” Yong Hwa reminded. 

“No! I’m not drunk!” Shin Hye hotly denied then her lips quivered as more tears streamed down her face.

Yong Hwa shouldn’t smile. But his lips had a life of their own. He was smiling despite himself. How can she look so adorable even though her eyes were puffy and her nose red? It must be the pout or the way she talked. In the last couple of minutes she was reduced to baby talk, albeit slurred.

“I’ll be angry with you when you’re sober.” Yong Hwa stood up and sighed as he looked at the mess on the carpet. He sighed again as he sat beside her. “Don’t cry…” He delicately cupped her face with his hands. His thumbs wiped her tears.

“I won’t work if that’s what you want.” Shin Hye yielded.

The whole day Yong Hwa thought of their argument. She had a valid point for wanting to work again. He just didn’t want her to work since he can provide well for her. He simply wants her to live comfortably. But that thought didn’t came out well from his mouth.

He draped an arm over her shoulder and pulled her closer. Shin Hye sniffed as she rested her head on the crook of his neck. “It’s okay. Work if you want to.”

By the time Yong Hwa arrived home, he already decided to give in to what his wife wants. He was going to tell her over dinner. But she wasn’t home. The note she left mentioned that she’ll be out with friends and don’t bother her.

Of course he tried calling her. But she was ignoring him. By midnight he was tired of trying to reach her and waiting for her to get home. So he decided that he’ll sleep after 5 more minutes of waiting. The 5 minutes stretched to more 5 minutes until she arrived home, drunk.

“No I won’t, that’s what you want.” Shin Hye shook her head as she looked to him.

Yong Hwa tucked an errant hair to her ear. “I thought about it the whole day. You have every right to work.”

“Don’t be so good. I’m feeling more awful now.” Shin Hye pouted, sobriety slowly coming back and also the tears. “Why aren’t you shouting at me? Deriding me for acting like this?”

“Dear, you’ll feel a lot worse when you wake up later. That’s enough retribution for me.” Yong Hwa smiled wickedly at her before kissing her forehead. “Now, let’s get you out of your smelly clothes.”

Shin Hye stood up then wobbled again. Before Yong Hwa could do anything, she threw up again.

Ten minutes later, Shin Hye lay on their bed sleeping and Yong Hwa standing over his wife’s vomit. It’s almost one in the morning, he’s tired and sleepy. But he has to clean their living room. He turned to the room where his wife sleeps. She’s a handful sometimes, but he wouldn’t have her otherwise.

 

AN: My laptop crashed and went haywire. The hard disk was replaced and I lost all my files. That means all my story drafts, gone! Gone! Argghhh! But no fear, since my doctor told me to rest for 3 weeks, I had time to re-write some chapters. =P