Chapter 3

The Fall of Gods

When Aphrodite fell silent and started playing with his long sleeves, Athena prompted him gently, “What happened next?”

 

Taemin mumbled out a reply so softly, that Key had to strain his ears to hear, “It was fated that I was born a cheater.”

 

Key scoffed, “Monogamous love among Ancient Greek Gods is unheard of, and you know it.”

 

Taemin sighed. “Being attracted to an occasional human was something Onew could overlook; he knew that I had a weakness for beautiful things, and he saw them more as playthings than anything else. It was his older full blood brother Ares, the God of War, that my husband never forgave me for.”

 

At the mention of his half-brother, Key grimaced. “How did that even happen? I never understood what you saw in that .”

 

The God of Love tiredly smiled at his friend’s reaction. “I never looked at him. He was volatile, loved mindless bloodshed, irresponsible, cold, and too used to being treated by Hera as the golden child, when he could not hold a candle to Onew’s kindness and integrity. I think she adored her eldest because he was the handsome son, and because Zeus could not stand even being in the same room as him for more than 5 minutes.”

 

Key chuckled darkly, “The only time I can stand Ares is when I kick his out on the battlefield. The God of mindless stubbornness and competitiveness annoys the out of me, just like it does Zeus.”

“You really are a daddy’s girl…”

“Hey! I take offense to that! I just prefer wisdom and justice more than seas of blood.”

 

Taemin smiled slightly; he loved teasing his best friend, especially when Key never made it easy to do so.

The smile melted faster than a snowflake by a fire when Key asked, “So, what happened?”