Chapter 2

The Fall of Gods

Athena delicately scrunched his nose in confusion and asked, “Care to elaborate?”

 

Aphrodite humorlessly chuckled. “Ah, I forget that I am an older God than you, child of Zeus. I am the child of Uranus, the Sky. That alone makes me unique, since he had not had any children prior to creating me since he had Kronus, father of Zeus, and his littermates. I was created out of ocean foam, and was raised by the Titan Ocean and his daughters far from men and Gods, back when the world was young.

 

Zeus found me. He recognized the power that I possessed, and despite my innocence, deemed it inappropriate to leave me alone.”

 

“Why on Earth would Father do that?” Key asked.

“Zeus always disliked anyone having anything over him. Not even the King of Gods can withstand Love. He did not feel the need to eat me like he did your mother when she was pregnant with you and your brother, but he did bind me to Olympus.”

“I don’t have a brother…” Athena whispered.

“You sprang out of Zeus’s skull after you absorbed your twin. Denial and blind admiration of your father will not change the facts,” harshly uttered Aphrodite.

 

“Taemin, you never were this cold before…”

“I came to Olympus where I was quickly married to the hard working God Hephaestus, whose only real defect was his horrible bouts of sangtae. But despite the defect that infuriated Hera, his mother the Queen, Onew was an innocent sweetheart back then. I foolishly thought I was happy; I had no reason to be cold.

 

I turned my eyes away from the dealings of Olympus; I was either building a happy home with my husband, Onew, or playing on Earth while he was working on another invention or request from other Gods. It was a simple time, with the wars with Titans and Men from the Metal Ages over, back when humans were purer and Greece was softly flourishing. When new Gods popped up from either Zeus’s marriage or from his indiscretions, I just welcomed them with open arms. I innocently only saw the good in the world.

 

Perhaps it was that innocence that sealed my fate.”