Waiting

Turning Page (The Legend)

 

It was a little late, and their 2 teammates hadn't arrived yet.

 

The EXO Prime Guards were gathered at the dining table of their Common House, waiting for Lay and Baekhyun to arrive.

 

"Are you sure they didn't forget?!" Xiumin snapped at Chanyeol. "I'm starving!"

 

"I'm sure! They said they'd pick up dinner after their rounds!" Chanyeol countered.

 

Kris rolled his eyes. He looked up from the table and saw his other teammates' expressions. Chen and Kai were laying their heads at the table, clearly exhausted from the training. Tao and Sehun were long passed out on the couches, saliva dripping from their open mouths. (They would have to clean that later) Xiumin and Chanyeol were bickering at the corner. Suho, D.O and Luhan were rummaging through the fridge and cupboards.

 

"Damn. I should've done the grocery shopping yesterday." Suho muttered, checking the cupboards above the counter.

 

"I can't believe that there's no single bite to eat." D.O said, poking his head inside the fridge.

 

"Unless you want to try this...thing here." Luhan grimaced as he opened the plastic container that D.O handed him. It appeared to be kimchi rice that D.O and Kai cooked for Tao's birthday...3 months ago.

 

"Ugh. It already smells wierd." He gagged and threw the thing in the trash can.

 

Kris sighed, rubbing his temples. "Let's just wait a little bit longer okay guys? If they're not here in 15 minutes, we'll go out to eat."

 

The rest of them who were niether asleep nor exhausted, nodded in agreement.

 

Kris felt a tug at his heart. Normally, they were used to situations like these. They had even gone through 2 days without meals at one point. It was during the first fight between the rebels. The EXO Prime Guards were only established for 6 months when they were thrown out in the middle of it all. Heck, Chanyeol had only been 15 years old at that time and Sehun hadn't signed up for Prime Guard Training yet. But they had survived all that because they depended on each other.

 

The fight lasted for a week and the rebels finally surrendered. The captured rebels were all given 2-year sentences to jail, plus 500 hours of community service. And the EXO Prime Guards are proud to say that all the rebels under their watch had turned in a new leaf.

 

Now, EXO-K and EXO-M were a lot stronger and a lot more wise. They had grown so much over the past years and all the people in EXO planet looked up to them. As a result, more aspiring Prime Guards were signing up every year, in the hopes of leading EXO into a better future.

 

You had to say that with a lot of soldiers in their beck and call, they'd have some extra time to themselves. But more soldiers meant more hours to help them train, plus all the other EXO Prime Guard tasks; military meetings, extra training, community service and of course, the occassional parties.

 

They weren't just EXO Prime Guards anymore. They were war heroes, prominent people, political figures, and social idols.

 

They relished the time that they had for themselves and their teammates. Usually, they had a free day where they could relax in their Common House, eat meals without the need to rush things, and just hang out with each other. Today, all they have is an hour of peaceful dinner, before recharging for next day's activities.

 

 

Suho clamped a hand at Kris' shoulders, ending his train of thought.

 

"Shall we wake Sehun and Tao? It's been 20 minutes."

 

Kris looked at him blankly for a moment, before remembering their agreement a while ago.

 

"Right. I'll go get my wallet." Kris said.

 

Xiumin and Chanyeol's ears perked up at Kris' sentence, momentarily forgetting to bicker with each other.

 

"Are you going to treat us, duizhang?" Chen asked, lifting his head from the table and giving Kris a smile.

 

"This'll be the last." Kris warned, getting up from his chair.

 

"That's what you said the last time." Kai smirked.

 

"Well he can't help it if he loved us so much." D.O teased, following Suho and Luhan to the couches to wake up the two maknaes.

 

Kris just rolled his eyes at them and went inside the room to get his money.

 

_______________________________________

Meanwhile...

 

 

Lay and Baekhyun accompanied Mrs. Karmenlau and the mysterious Streetdweller back to the lady's house. Well more like stealthily following them.

 

It took a while before Mrs. Karmenlau persuaded them both, saying that it was of utmost importance, but it wasn't safe for them to discuss it out in the open.

Lay and Baekhyun were sceptical, but knowing Mrs. Karmenlau for years, they knew she wouldn't lie. They agreed to talk in her house.

 

So they all followed the Streetdweller into the dark alleys of the city. It wouldn't be wise for them to walk together in the open, for it would definitely raise suspicion amongst the crowd. 

 

 

They both had a good look at the Streetdweller or as Mrs. Karmenlau told them, Seph, throughout their walk. They guessed she was around their age, but they couldn't be really sure.

 

Her body, which was covered with tattered grey and black robes, were too thin and frail, as if she would easily be blown by the wind. Her hair was messily tied into a ponytail with what appeared to be a piece of spare rope. There were dark soots on her face and arms where the robes failed to conceal. Lay and Baekhyun guessed that her legs and feet were also dirty, considering that she didn't even wear slippers or shoes. If she reeked of sewers and dirt, they didn't voice it out.

 

They felt sorry for the poor girl and didn't want to further embarrass her. Streetdwellers didn't have the luxury that the Bluebloods have, or even half of the Preya's priviledges.

 

"Just a bit further." Seph whispered, her hoarse voice making almost no sound in the desserted alleys.

 

"Yes. I think I recognize these streets." Mrs. Karmenlau responded, pausing to check on Baekhyun and Lay. "You alright there boys?"

 

Lay and Baekhyun gave a small smile. "We're fine, Mrs. Karmenlau."

 

And then they relasped into another silent journey, allowing Lay and Baekhyun to further observe the two.

 

They had been intrigued, of course. Why would a Preya like Mrs. Karmenlau associate with a Streetdweller? Not to be judgemental, but Streetdwellers have nothing to offer after all and most, if not all, were sketchy characters. So why help them?

 

They calculated the girl's moves, her facial expressions when talking to Mrs. Karmelau and vice versa.

 

The girl didn't seem to have anything against Mrs. Karmenlau. She couldn't possibly threaten the lady into doing something. In fact, Mrs. Karmenlau seemed to be the one making all the decisions and urging the Streetdweller girl. All they could see in Seph's eyes were honesty and gratefulness for the fruit vendor.

 

"We're here." Mrs. Karmenlau alerted the boys. They stopped in an alley in front of a row of red and brown houses. There were big, brass numbers on the doors indicating house numbers.

 

Mrs. Karmenlau reached into her coat and pulled out a silver key attached to a long string.

 

"My husband won't be home until later in the evening." She said. "We'll have enough time to talk."

 

Seph, Baekhyun and Lay nodded at her words. They were quite nervous, not really expecting how the night will turn out.

 

"I suppose you should go in first." Lay suggested to Mrs. Karmenlau. "Check if the coast is clear, then signal at us."

 

Mrs. Karmenlau nodded and briskly walked out into the street and up to her house number. She looked behind her back, to her left and right. She then inserted the hey into the hole by the door handle and twisted it. The lady checked again for signs of someone peering curiously from their windows, or some suspicious individuals lurking by. There were none. She quickly motioned to the three to hurry and get inside, which they did.

 

Once inside the house, Mrs. Karmenlau locked the door shut and beckoned the other 3 into her living room. None of them made a sound as they cautiously walked in.

 

As Mrs. Karmenlau closed the curtains, shielding the room from the outside, Lay and Baekhyun settled themselves on the couch that was situated in front of a small fireplace. They both glanced up and saw that Seph was awkwardly standing at the farthest corner.

 

Not really knowing what to do since this is the first encounter they had with a Streetdweller, Lay cleared his throat and asked.

 

"Would...would you like to sit down?" He directed it to Seph, who was somewhat shocked at being addressed by a EXO Prime Guard.

 

She mumbled something in reply which the two boys didn't quite catch.

 

"I'm sorry, what?" Baekhyun asked again, causing Seph to lower her head.

 

"She said she didn't want to soil the seat covers." Mrs. Karmelau responded for her, emerging from the kitchen holding a small, triangular light source (the one that they often used in blackouts) between her hands. "It's no use persuading her, I've already tried that." She added.

 

Lay and Baekhyun nodded, thinking it would be best to leave the girl to her wishes. Mrs. Karmenlau placed the light source on the table between the couch and fireplace, and settled on a red armchair beside the boys.

 

They said nothing for a while, just staring at the glowing blue liquid inside the triangular source.

 

"What is really going on Mrs. Karmenlau?" Baekhyun asked, after a moment. "What is it that you deemed so important to tell here, in secret?"

 

Mrs. Karmenlau in a breath. For a moment, she looked utterly spent. The bags under her eyes were made even more visible in the bluish light.

 

"I guess I should start from the moment Seph and I met." She said.

 

Lay and Baekhyun could only look and listen.

 

 

 

»FLASHBACK»

 

 

It was already late in the night when Mrs. Karmenlau decided to close her fruit stand. She made sure her fruits were stored and locked completely away before shrugging on her coat and heading back home.

 

She waved goodbye to the other vendors who were also staring to pack up for the night. The trip home was uneventful, until she heard urgent voices in the alley before her street.

 

"...He who betrays the will of the Black Dragon will not have a place in the new Era...."

 

She hastened her pace when she heard that. She only heard stories about the infamous Black Dragon. Stories that were passed on brought fear and anxiety to the people in the streets. Only sketchy and dangerous criminals associate with the Black Dragon.

 

Mrs. Karmenlau stiffled a gasp when a tall, hooded figure rounded from the corner. She ducked into the shadows and waited for the man to disappear, praying very fervently for the man not to notice her.

 

She only had a breath of relief, when the next two conspicuous figures also stepped out and then went on separate ways.

 

What is going on?

 

Her curiosity got the better of her, and she decided to scout the alley for some information about what she had witnessed.

 

She believed she was sent there for a reason. Maybe if she could find a clue, she could give it to the authorities for them to investigate. After all, the Black Dragon is the most wanted criminal mastermind in all of EXO. Even the famed EXO Prime Guards couldn't put the Black Dragon behind bars.

 

What were they planning?

 

She was about to give up when she heard a scuffle near the dumpster. She looked behind it and was surprised to see a girl crouched behind it, her blue-grey eyes were wide with fear and clouded with unshed tears.

 

"Are you one of them?." The young girl whispered hoarsely, her body shaking. "Please don't hurt me."

 

Mrs. Karmenlau immediately understood what she meant. She shook her head softly, squatting down to meet the girl's eye level.

 

"I'm not like them. I won't hurt you." She promised, extending a hand.

 

Seph didn't take it just yet. She searched the lady's eyes for some kind of clue, but she could only see kindness and compassion. Still, she didn't dare touch the kind lady. She feared she might just dirty the good lady's precious hands.

 

Mrs. Karmenlau sensed this, but she already grasped the girl's hands and pulled her to her feet.

 

Seph was shocked by the sudden contact that when she was fully standing up, she backed away from Mrs. Karmenlau immediately.

 

"Don't." She said. "I'm a Streetdweller. You can't help me."

 

"But I want to." Mrs. Karmenlau answered patiently. "Streetdwellers deserve better treatment too."

 

Seph could only look down to hide her teary eyes. If only there were more people like this kind lady.

 

"I'm Mrs. Karmenlau, by the way." The lady smiled at her. "What's your name?"

 

"Seph." She mumbled.

 

"Don't look down when someone's talking to you, Seph." Mrs. Karmenlau said, lifting Seph's chin with her pointy finger. "You have the loveliest eyes I've ever seen, my dear." She added kindly.

 

Seph could only smile weakly at her. Mrs. Karmenlau patted her cheeks affectionately and began to pull Seph towards her house.

 

"I'll fix you something to eat." She declared, ignoring the girl's mumbling protests.

 

"Then you can tell me what you have seen and heard."