Status

Turning Page (The Legend)

 

Lay and Baekhyun were patrolling the streets of Rowan City. The streets were still bustling of people who were doing their night shopping at the market.

 

The two EXO-K Prime Guards talked to some of the vendors, asking questions about their sales, the status of the peace in the streets, etc.

 

"Good evening Mrs. Karmenlau." Lay greeted an middle-aged woman who was selling fruits at a stall on the side of the street.

 

Baekhyun too, stopped to check on things. "How was your day?" He asked with a smile.

 

"Oh you two!" Mrs. Karmenlau exclaimed in delight. "Well, it was just splendid, thank you very much!"

 

"That's good to hear." Lay said, removing his hand from his weapons belt, seeing as no danger would be lurking here for now.

 

"How about you? Are the boys eating well?" Mrs. Karmenlau asked before assisting a customer. "That'll be 9 brass coins."

 

Baekhyun moved aside as an elderly man got the bags filled with fruits from the fruit vendor. He smiled at the familiar EXO Prime Guards, before paying and tipping his hat goodbye. The 2 boys smiled and waved farewell too.

 

"We're eating regularly of course." Baekhyun answered, but paused. "Well, Xiumin seems to consume more than the average amount, but we're doing okay."

 

The fruits vendor chuckled. "Ah Xiumin. I seem to have a soft spot for that kid." She began to arrange some assorted fruits into a basket.

 

"Aaw. Does that mean you don't love us anymore?" Baekhyun teased. Lay just rolled his eyes at him.

 

"Silly. Of course I do!" Mrs. Karmenlau exclaimed. "You boys keep the city safe. We can't thank you enough."

 

"Well, that's our job after all." Baekhyun replied, flexing his muscles and winking at Mrs. Karmenlau, causing the vendor to laugh again.

 

Lay smacked the side of his partner's head.

 

"Ow! Whatyado that for?!"

 

"Stop flirting! She has a husband you know!"

 

Mrs. Karmenlau laughed at the antics of the Prime Guards. Sure, they deal with bad guys, keep the city peaceful and they constantly have to be fearless. But they're still young-at-heart and that's what makes them so endearing to her.

 

"Lay is right, Baekhyun." She said in a straight face. "It won't work out between us, but I'm still flattered just the same."

 

Baekhyun turned red at the sound of Lay and Mrs. Karmenlau's loud laughter.

 

"You guys are ganging up on me." He muttered, crossing his arms on his chest with a huff.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Seph's breath came out in pants and gasps as she ran through the alleys, bumping into people in the process.

 

"Hey watch it!" An man who was carrying a sack of potatoes snapped in irritation for almost being knocked down.

 

"Sorry!" Seph called back, but didn't dare turn around to check. She was still running away from those two guys at the diner.

 

 

Oh why did I have to open my fat mouth?!

 

 

Yes. She just had to spark up an argument with a Preya. But she couldn't help herself. After she saw that scumbag treating an elder with disrespect, she just had to step up. But now, she was the target. It was unwise for a Streetdweller to speak up. But it was even more idiotic when a Streetdweller dumped a steaming hot cup of coffee on a Preya.

 

 

Damn social heirarchy.

 

 

For as long as she can remember, that societal level has been around even before she was born. Many Prime Leaders before Prime Leader Bronx attemted to abolish that (bless their souls), but it was the people who were ignorant and unyielding. Prime Leader Bronx was even planning to pass a law about the treatment of Streetdwellers (she had scavenged yet another newspaper), but the society would have none of it, especially the Bluebloods. And so up to now, the Streetdwellers were still treated like dirt.

 

 

Less than dirt actually. Dirt is more precious than us.

 

 

Seph ducked behind a dumpster when she heard the two angry voices running from the other corner. They slowed down to a stop near her and she crouched even further back. The two men were obviously not used to running, since they were now gasping for air.

 

"Where is that filthy Streetdweller." She heard the man snarl. She took a peek when she saw the tall man spat on the ground.

 

"Maybe she went this way." His shorter companion said, pointing to the other direction. "Come on!"

 

And then they ran again. Seph sighed in relief, her eyelids closing over her blue-grey orbs as she tried to steady her breathing.

 

 

That was close.

 

 

She knew she was done for it if they had found her. They wouldn't even bother handing her over to the Prime Guards. They'd just deal with her right then and there.

 

She will have to ask for help from the fruit vendor once again. She hated herself for bringing danger to the kind lady, but she desperately needed it. Thank heavens the fruit vendor was a nice person. She believed that Streetdwellers needed a chance in this society too.

 

After making sure she had indeed lost them, she ducked into the shadows and disappeared once again.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

"So how are things so far, Mrs. Karmenlau?" Lay asked, after a few more laughs and wiping a tear from his eye. "Are there any kinds of trouble we should know about?"

 

"Everythin's fine dear." The lady replied, handing over the basket of fruits she was preparing. "Here, take this home."

 

Baekhyun grinned and got the basket from her. "You're spoiling us too much, Mrs. Karmenlau."

 

"Thank you. You didn't have to, you know." Lay smiled at her kindly.

 

"Oh it's nothing!" Mrs. Karmenlau waved her hands, dismissing the thought. "You boys need all the strength yu can get. Plus, I added a lot more apples than last time. I'm sure Chanyeol would like that-"

 

But her sentence was cut short when a blur of grey and black robes ducked behind her. Mrs. Karmenlau let out a yell of surprise, when the figure reached out a hand and grasped the lady's arms. Instantly, Lay and Baekhyun drew out their sabers with determined expressions.

 

"You! Unhand her at once!" Lay said, walking to the figure crouched underneath the tables.

 

"Oh no, Lay it's alright-" Mrs. Karmenlau interjected but Baekhyun pulled her behind him, managing to loosen the hold of the filthy stranger from Mrs. Karmenlau.

 

"Stay behind me, Mrs. Karmenlau. We'll deal with this." Baekhyun said, still poiting his sword at the now trembling figure.

 

"Answer me!" Lay shouted. "Who are you and why are you manhandling Mrs. Karmenlau."

 

"Really! Lay, Baekhyun drop your sabers!" Mrs. Karmenlau snapped at them. Surprise flickered at the eyes of the two as they stepped back. They didn't lower their sabers yet, when they watched the lady walk behind the stall, crouched down and put a comforting arm around the stranger.

 

"She's a friend." Mrs. Karmenlau said simply.

 

Lay and Baekhyun just raised an eyebrow at each other, lowering their sabers. They were about to comment when a noise in a near distance grabbed their attention.

 

"You there, old dog!" A tall man yelled at an old man selling grains, leaning in closer to intimidate him. "Have you seen a female Streetdweller around?"

 

"She's about this height, with long brown hair." His shorter companion explained.

 

The old man nodded shakily and pointed at the direction of Mrs. Karmenlau's fruit stand.

 

The two men followed the direction of the old man's outstretched hand, their eyes narrowed at the EXO Prime Guards and Mrs. Karmenlau.

 

Lay and Baekhyun exchanged confused looks and glanced at Mrs. Karmenlau whose face was white as a sheet of paper. She looked down at the figure with concern written all over her face.

 

"Please. Help me." A voice said, before looking up and meeting eyes with Mrs. Karmenlau.

 

Baekhyun had only a glimpse of the girl before Mrs. Karmenlau stood and grabbed his arm.

 

"Please. Help us." The woman begged, her eyes dancing from one Prime Guard to the other.

 

Lay just looked at Baekhyun with an unreadable expression.

 

The two men were now close to the fruit stand, and Mrs. Karmenlau pushed the girl further behind the fruit crates to hide her. She then sat at an upturned wooden box to block the view.

 

"Good evening, Prime Guards." The taller, greasier man bowed in respect to Lay and Baekhyun. The two nodded their heads in response.

 

"Mrs. Karmenlau." The shorter one acknowledged the lady, eyeing the crates closely.

 

"Good evening Armel. Caris." Mrs. Karmenlau smiled stiffly. "What fruits will you be buying?"

 

"Oh we aren't here to buy, Mrs. Karmenlau." The tall one, Caris, said. He moved his gaze from Lay to Baekhyun. "We just had a bit of a situation down at the diner. And we're here to ask some questions."

 

"Mrs. Karmenlau wasn't at the diner." Lay said, moving protectively in front of her. "We can vouch for that."

 

"Oh, we know, kind Guard." Armel replied, taking his steely eyes off the crates. "We'd like to ask her, if she has talked with a certain friend of hers..." He locked eyes with Mrs. Karmenlau. "...about that situation."

 

Mrs. Karmenlau drew out a shaky breath. "No. I haven't been able to talk with anyone today."

 

Caris spat on the ground. "Now you listen here, you old cat!" He yelled. "I know what kind of people you're fraternizing with!"

 

Lay and Baekhyun instantly stepped over protectively. They must remain calm. They must neutralize this situation quickly before things could take a turn for the worst.

 

"Caris. I don't think this is wise-" Armel tried to reason with his companion, holding Caris' shoulders before he does anything stupid. But Caris was too consumed with rage that he forgot Lay and Baekhyun were there. He shrugged Armel's hand off and took a menacing step towards Mrs. Karmenlau.

 

"Tell me where are you hiding that filthy Streetdweller or else-"

 

"Or else what?" Lay whispered, his cold eyes bore into Caris'.

 

Caris' arms immediately dropped to his side, but you could tell by the way he was balling his fists that he was trying very hard to control his anger. Armel just lowered his head and silently seethed at the Prime Guard.

 

"Now listen here." Baekhyun said. "I don't know what kind of situation you had at that diner, but you will not exercise any form of violence here."

 

"But sir." Caris growled in response, making Baekhyun frown at him. "That woman there," he continued, pointing a finger at Mrs. Karmenlau. "Is helping a filthy Streetdweller escape from her crimes."

 

Lay and Baekhyun looked uneasily at Mrs. Kamrmenlau for a brief second. Their eyes locked and they could see the desperation on the lady's face.

 

"If you have complaints, you could always report it to the Prime Guard's Station." Lay said, his face and voice betrayed no emotion. "If that Streetdweller really is responsible, let the officials take care of it."

 

Armel and Caris just stared at them head on, not making anymore arguments.

 

"And would it kill you to treat your elders with respect?" Baekhyun asked, his voice irritated. "If I hear you verbally maltreating your seniors again, you will hear personally from me. Got it?"

 

It seemed like an eternity when Caris nodded stiffly. He turned his back to walk away. "Let's go." He said to Armel.

 

Armel took one long look at the crates and disappeared with him.

 

 

Lay and Baekhyun made sure that Armel and Caris had completely gone before turning to Mrs. Karmenlau.

 

Baekhyun looked at the older woman with a sigh. He ran a hand through his hair, which was a sure sign he was stressed and nervous.

 

"What was that?" Lay asked, his brows furrowed in confusion at the lady.

 

Mrs. Karmenlau just shrugged, getting up from where she sat. She turned to the crates and talked with the mysterious Streetdweller in whispers

 

"I don't know what to think right now." Baekhyun muttered to Lay.

 

"So do I. Caris and Armel was livid as hell. I wonder..." Lay trailed off, not really knowing what to say. It had been quite an interesting event. Preyas associating with Streetdwellers? That's a first.

 

"Do you think..." Baekhyun lowered his voice, glancing at Mrs. Karmenlau and the undistiguishable figure. "...we could trust her?"

 

Lay clenched his jaws. "We've trusted Mrs. Karmenlau for years..."

 

"I know that! But, but what Caris said was a bit sketchy. You know how Streetdwellers are..."

 

"Why? What do you know about Streetdwellers?"

 

Lay's sharp tone surprised Baekhyun for a moment. It was 180 degree turn for Lay's personality towards his friends.

 

"I'm merely concerned about the stories I've been hearing about them." Baekhyun explained patiently. He was just asking after all. He'd only heard stories about the Streetdwellers. He didn't know if those stories were true, but he couldn't trust blindly either.

 

"Sorry. Sorry, I just..." Lay sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. It wasn't Baekhyun's fault. Streetdwellers were mysterious and unreadable folks. Of course he would be taking second guesses.

 

"Let's hear her out first, okay?"

 

 

 

 

Seph could feel her cheeks dampen from her tears. But she forced herself not to make any sound. She could still hear Caris and Armel's voices outside, along with those two EXO Prime Guards.

 

She didn't know if she could trust them. Mrs. Karmenlau knew of her secret about that night in the alley. Seph knew she burdened the older lady with her problems, but Mrs. Karmenlau insisted that they had to do something about it. Prime Leader Bronx was the finest EXO has ever seen. But this news of a potential assassination could cripple the government and she feared EXO would be in bad hands.

 

Seph made her promise not to tell anyone just yet. She had to make sure they could be completely trusted.

 

She heard Armel and Caris begin to walk away, and she let out the breath she was holding. At least her worst troubles for today had passed. She wiped her face on the sleeves of her dirty robes. She wouldn't let Mrs. Karmelau see her cry.

 

"Seph?" Mrs. Karmenlau's voice came from her left. "Are you alright dear?"

 

The kind lady peeked from the behind the crates she was hiding. Seph could see the worry on her friend's face.

 

"I'm alright Mrs. Karmenlau." Seph was surprised at how hoarse her voice sounded. "I can't thank you enough."

 

"It really is no problem dear." Mrs. Karmenlau said. "Come on. Let's get you out of there."

 

She held out a hand for Seph but the young girl hesitated. She glanced quickly at the front and saw that the two Prime Guards were still there, worry and disbelief on their faces.

 

"A-are they..."

 

Mrs. Karmenlau patted her cheek adoringly. "They can be trusted. I promise."

 

"But I'm not sure if they can trust me." Seph said. "I'm a Streetdweller after all."

 

Mrs. Karmenlau smiled sadly at the young girl. Seph had been through so much in the past 2 years. It would be a while before she can learn to trust. Trust in herself, and in others. But she knew the EXO boys well. They were kind, loyal and above all, virtuous people. They would definitely be a help in this problem of theirs.

 

"They will be a big help, Seph." The woman said kindly. "We'll explain to them everything. This is a matter for the EXO Prime Guards. We could prevent a national catastrophe."

 

Seph listened carefully. She knew it was a very important issue. The fate of the whole planet lies in her hands. She didn't like that burden one bit. But she looked back at the things that Prime Leader Bronx had done. It was because of him that Streetdwellers were given jobs. Albeit a little degrading, but it was a start. And it was also him that proposed a law for the benefit of the Streetdwellers. If the plans of the Black Dragon fell through, there would be no future for them. EXO would be in the hands of people like the Black Dragon.

 

She couldn't let that happen. She promised her father that she'll fight. She promised him that she'll always do the right thing. She knew she had to do one thing.

 

"Alright."