Prologue

Turning Page (The Legend)

 

The alleyways were bare of people as two-cloaked figures swept deep into the night. They were talking in hushed tones, for fear of someone overhearing them.

 

"This is madness, Cornelius!" The taller one whispered frantically as they rounded up a corner. "I should have never agreed to you in the first place!"

 

"Would you rather to have your family killed, Yoko?" Cornelius hissed, his blue eyes shining brightly underneath his cloak.

 

Was it the fear in his eyes? Or the light from the lampost? Yoko didn't think much further, but instead replied to him as they anxiously looked around before disappearing into another desserted corner.

 

"Of course not! But I somehow have a feeling that this will not be successful."

 

"I know that too. But the Black Dragon has a great hold of the law. We will be protected!"

 

"Did it ever occur to you that it will also be used against us if this will not work out?" Yoko questioned, stopping on an alley of their destined meeting.

 

Cornelius was silent for a moment. Yoko could sense that he was thinking very hard. After a moment, Cornelius sighed deeply and looked into his bestfriend's eyes.

 

"We'll just have to do a flawless job in killing the Prime Leader then."

 

Yoko threw his hands in the air. "This is barbaric and you know it!"

 

"I have no choice!" Cornelius hissed. "I love my family, Yoko."

 

"As do I."

 

"Then let's do this!" Conelius pleaded. "You know what the Black Dragon is capable of."

 

Yoko looked at him for a moment, seemingly having second thoughts before he hung his head in defeat.

 

"Alright. But I'm not doing this for the glory."

 

Cornelius clapped a hand on his friend's shoulders.

 

"I know my friend, as do I."

 

A shuffling at the entrance of the alley forced the two friends to stop their discussion. They immediately put on their masks.

 

"Who's there?" Yoko asked, straining to get a good look.

 

"Dorian and Janus?" The deep-voiced stranger asked.

 

Cornelius and Yoko stood a little straighter.

 

"Yes, that is us." Cornelius replied, before he paused. "Are you here for the Black Dragon?"

 

The man walked to them. Although he was tall and intimidating, the 2 men didn't seem afraid, for they knew the Black Dragon wouldn't put them in risk...yet.

 

"The Black Dragon sent me to give you this." The stranger said, giving them an envelope, sealed with black wax.

 

Cornelius took it and chanced a look at the stranger. Meetings like these required disguises and false names, in order to throw away potential spies from their tracks. And true enough, the man was wearing a black mask.

 

"What's inside?" Yoko asked. Peering over Cornelius's shoulder to get a good look.

 

"It isn't mine to tell." The stranger said. "But the Black Dragon also sent me to give a message to you two."

 

"Alright, what is it?" Yoko said, uncertainty filled his mind.

 

"He who betrays the will of the Black Dragon will not have a place in the new Era. All things dear to him will vanish from the lands."

 

"We already know that." Yoko said, scanning the area nervously. "If we succeed-"

 

"When we succeed," Cornelius interrupted, narrowing his eyes at Yoko. "How will we be assured that you will keep to your end?"

 

"The Black Dragon's word is written in stone, my good man." The stranger said, the impatience in his voice evident. "It will be all well when you succeed."

 

Yoko and Cornelius nodded stiffly. There were no words left. The Black Dragon has the final say in everything. With that, the stranger nodded in return and swiftly moved away to the shadows.

 

"Well I'll be damned, Cornelius." Yoko whispered. "We better get this right."

 

Cornelius could only stare at the envelope in his hands. Unknown to them, a pair of blue-grey eyes heard everything from behind the shadows.