Trying to Not Care

Believe the Lyrics

PLEASE READ THE BRIEF FOREWORD!  ^^

 ALTERNATE ENDING TO CHAPTER 41 of "I'm Emotionally Unstable and I Thank Super Junior For It" (BamxAngiee)

 PART ONE

 

Uki POV

 

Before I could fight Shindong for the ice cream scoop, I felt a tug on my shirt near my midriff and turned to see Alex.

 I complained at the hindrance, "Aleeeex~ Ice cream!"

 I stopped momentarily when I thought I had seen a hint of sadness in Alex's eyes, but before I could examine it, she looked down at the iPod she had somehow conjured into her hands within the past 45 seconds.

 

"Alex..." I questioned her as she pointedly avoided my eyes.

 "Can I talk to you," she murmured, cutting off my lingering doubt.

 "Ye—"

 

 She had already grabbed my wrist and started dragging me towards her room still fussing with the iPod in her left hand. I pondered over what could have caused her sudden change in demeanor, but decided to allow her to vent her obviously bottled up feelings.

As she pulled me past the boys, I stretched out to snatch a bowl of ice cream from Siwon's hands but he nonchalantly held it over my reach as I passed. Aigoo, the boys are stealing all that ice cream that was supposed to reward my hard work.

 

My focus came back to the current issue as I felt Alex's fingernails dig into my hand. She kicked the door to her room shut without even a glance back. Before she pinched off my skin, I peeled her digits off of my wrist and yanked her upper arm towards myself to look at her in the face.

Her angry, red eyes filled with tears stared straight at a spot above my head as I furrowed my eyebrows in shock.

 

"Alex?"

 

She ignored my searching eyes as she looked back down to turn up the music on her iPod so that I could hear the lyrics:

 

"I don’t care geumanhallae niga eodieseo mwol hadeon
(I don’t care, I’ll stop caring about what you’re doing wherever you are)
ije jeongmal sanggwan anhalge bikyeojullae
(From now on I really don’t care, I’ll get out of the way)
ijewa ulgobulgo maedallijima"
(From now on don’t come to me and cry, and cling on)

 

I dropped my arm to my side in silence and she swiveled around to face her dresser. She gave a shaky sigh and placed the iPod and one of the earbuds on the surface of the table. She kept the other one in her ear as though she needed the meaning of the song to be engrained in her brain forever.

"Cause I don’t care e e e e e e
I don’t care e e e e e e"

 

"What happened?"

 She looked at me through the mirror and although I thought it was impossible, Alex's face dimmed even more. My heart hurt in confusion as she ripped her eyes from mine to stare into her own, lifeless ones. She tore a scrunchie out of her hair to distract her hands. She let the unusually disheveled strands fall in front of her silent tears which were slowly leaking out of her tear ducts. She sniffled loudly and breathed shakily again.

 

I suddenly understood everything all too well. I marched to her side and glared at the side of her head.

 "Alex. What did he do?"

 Her only reply was a sudden cough and her hands smoothing away her tears and locks away from her face. She regained her emotionless composure as she reached to tie the hair back into a ponytail.

 I huffed and walked towards the door, swearing, "I'm gonna kill that maknae."

 

"No," Alex's voice cracked slightly.

Flinging the hair-tie aside, she wrapped both arms around my right elbow and shook her head, eyes wide in worry. I slid my right arm out of her grasp and clasped her upper arms to face her torso towards me. I looked determinately at her, but she wavered from my gaze and glanced at her iPod to change the song. One click had Ryeowook's fluid voice in her ear.

 

"Chinguin geonji
(Are we friends)
sagwineun geonji
(Or dating)
na yojeumen niga
(Nowadays, I'm confused about you)
deo hetgalryeo naega"
(And even more about myself)

 

As she absorbed the lyrics, her bottom lip quivered slightly as she twisted out of my hold and hurled the iPod away from the dresser towards the opposite wall. Her throw fell short and the device landed on her pillow on her bed.

Alex screamed slightly and collapsed backwards onto the dresser, unintentionally slamming her back into the corner of the table as she sunk to the ground. She hiccupped and lifted the back of her left wrist to meet her tears. She tried to nestle her knees as close to her body as she could while I sat next to her, circling my left arm around her waist, letting her cry. Her tears fell faster as she sobbed out her story.

 

"I c-can't do this anymore! What did I do WRONG?! Huh!? I was so stupid, t-trickin-ing myself, saying it'll be fine! Kyu hasn't even looked at me, let alone asking me for that s-stupid date!"

 

She coughed violently, unable to see through her thick teardrops. I nudged her folded knees until they were straight in front of her.

I cradled her face between my palms and shushed her, "Alex, listen to me. None of this was your fault. If Kyuhyun hasn't bothered to ask you out on a date by now, he is the one who is the jerk, okay?"

 

We could still hear the painfully romantic duet from across the room as Alex struggled to return to her normal breathing. She cleared and strained as I heard the door creak behind my crouched back.

 

 Speak of the Devil...

 

I stood up to face the intruder and narrowed my eyes threateningly.

"You're currently not welcome here, Kyuhyun..."

 

Songs

 

I Don't Care (2NE1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAGAKwZq78o

 

When Falling in Love with a Friend (Beige Ft. Ryeowook)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gumEzK2VuoE

 

Alex belongs to sujudork602

Uki belongs to BamxAngiee

 

Please leave me constructive criticism! ^^