MENSTRUAL CRAMPS

Menstrual Cramps

 

There she was, writhing in pain as he stood by her bedpost, not knowing what to do. It was so disorienting; seeing someone writhe from the pain that she was feeling and not knowing what course of action to take.

 

He didn’t really know what to do. Aside from giving her the pain killers that she had requested and placing a hot compress on her abdomen, there was nothing else that he can do (or so he thinks).

 

“What should I do?” Luhan asked himself as his younger sister rolled over her bed, clutching her abdomen as she curled and dug her toes deep onto the bed sheet. It resulted to her hair to be more disheveled than ever, as well as crumpling the newly replaced bed sheet that she had wrapped around her bed that same morning.

 

“Luhan-oppa, help me… please.” Miyoung pleaded as she rolled about, closing her eyes as she felt another round of intense pain course through her body.

 

“I-I’m sorry, Miyoung-ah… I don’t know what else to do.” Luhan sat on the bed, dropping his head to his hands as his brain began to be filled with dreadful thoughts on how he couldn’t even help his younger sister on such things.

 

“Just stay by me, that’s all I ask.” She replied, finally looking at Luhan’s concerned face. “I’m so sorry for asking you to come over, oppa. I was in so much pain and I didn’t know who else to call for. I tried calling Joonmyun-oppa, but your manager told me that he has a schedule and that he couldn’t be here with me.”

 

“You know that you don’t have to apologize just because you called me. I’m always here for you. And you don’t have to always call Suho for help. You have me too.”

 

“Ah, my cheesy elder brother strikes again.” She cracked a lame joke that only made Luhan smile a little.

 

The three siblings have always been close to each other, with the two older males doing whatever they can do for their youngest and only sister. After Suho and Luhan debuted as members of EXO, Miyoung felt as if she should not bother them, more so, because they are always tired from their practices that last for more than ten hours a day, five to six times a week.

 

Before they knew it, Miyoung was starting to lean away from them, always wanting to not disturb them when they were at home and relaxing. She had thought that they did not want her presence anymore, especially because they were quite popular already. What she did not realize then was that her older brothers were always looking for time to go home and just be with her like the old times. It’s heartwarming, really, to have two older brothers who would take care of their younger sister whenever and wherever possible.

 

“Don’t worry, Miyoung-ah, he’ll be back home soon. I know that he won’t let you suffer this much.” Luhan shushed her to sleep, gently massaging her temple as he couldn’t really touch that part of her body although he is her brother. It sounded too inappropriate to him and he didn’t want to do something that he isn’t accustomed to. Sometimes, he wishes that they have another sister who would know exactly what to do in days like that.

 

“Eh? Did you call him and ask him to go home soon?”

 

“I didn’t. Manager-hyung asked me why you called, and I told him, then he told Suho.” Luhan explained. “I wouldn’t have disturbed your favorite oppa from his schedule, and you know that.”

 

“Do I smell jealousy from you? Eh, you think that I like Joonmyun-oppa better than I like you?”

 

“Well, he certainly knows what to do when you have your menstrual cramps. And he’s less strict than I am, so you probably like him better.”

 

“That’s a stupid reason to believe that I like him better.” Miyoung chuckled lightly.

 

Miyoung had never picked who the better brother was. To her, both Luhan and Suho were the perfect brothers since they were little. The two assumed the role of being Miyoung’s parents as both their mom and dad were always busy with work. While others would probably be annoyed at how protective the two were, she knew that they just wanted what is best for her, and that, she appreciates more than anything else. She knows that she could lean on them anytime, and that the other isn’t better than the other, simply because both were just perfect. They may seem to be a little too clingy and nags a lot, but she appreciates them even more for that. She had seen her friends’ older brothers acting as if they do not care about their younger sisters, and she knew that she wouldn’t want something like that.

 

Her abdominal muscles tightened again, and she rolled once more as the pain intensified again. This time, it was more painful, and even Miyoung had no idea what to do about it. She just knows that she has to do something that would cure it, but she really didn’t know what to do.

 

“Relax, Miyoung-ah, it’s going to be just fine.” Luhan tried to soothe her.

 

“Says a guy who does not even know how a menstrual cramp feels like.” Miyoung unknowingly snapped.

 

“Aish, seriously, I don’t know how to help you!”

 

“I told you oppa, just stay here and distract me.”

 

Luhan was about to reply when his cellphone rang. He checked who was calling and when he saw that it was Chanyeol, he answered right away after going out of Miyoung’s room, “yeah?”

 

Hyung, is Miyoung okay? I heard from Su—“

 

“I told you, Chanyeol-ah, you’re not allowed to date my sister.” Luhan cut him off protectively.

 

It wasn’t that Chanyeol wasn’t right for Miyoung. Truth be told, Luhan thinks that Chanyeol is just the perfect guy for his sister. They’re of the same age (even sharing the same birth dates), attracted to each other and are both great persons. Luhan sees Chayeol’s sincerity with his sister too, something that no one can deny. However, Luhan knows the consequences of Miyoung dating an idol, so he always makes it a point to make it known that his sister is off-limits. Heck, even Suho disallows it. Definitely, it is harder to court a girl who has two protective older brothers. The attraction, the magic, the… everything is there, but Luhan and Suho always stop it, not helping Chanyeol to claim Miyoung as his own.

 

Hyung, I was just going to ask if she’s okay. And I heard from Suho-hyung that she’s not feeling well, so what I did is to ask him to go back to your house right away and try to make her feel better. I’ve come in place of him, don’t worry about it. I also gave him a couple of hot compresses, a bowl of hot soup and pain relievers. I’m not sure if that would be enough, but I think that it would be.” Chanyeol finished his speech, only to add two words that made Luhan chuckle slightly. “… or not?”

 

“You know what? If you aren’t an idol – in the same group as me and Suho are in too – I would have let you date my sister. But no, you’re an idol so you’re not allowed to date her.”

 

 “That’s really unfair, hyung! Can I really not date her? Please?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“No.” Luhan answered firmly, affirmative that he wouldn’t let him do as he wanted.

 

“One day, your conscience would eat you up because you haven’t let your sister date someone that she likes. Maybe, she even loves me.”

 

“You’re getting ahead of yourself, Park Chanyeol. Look, I appreciate what you did for her – thank you for that – but aside from that, I couldn’t let you do anything else aside for you to remain as her best friend.”

 

“We’ll see, hyung, we’ll see. One day, when she decides that she wants me too, I hope that you wouldn’t stop her.”

 

“Come on, you’re making it sound like you’re Romeo and she’s Juliet! I am not that bad! I even let you talk to her!”

 

“But you don’t allow me to court her!” Chanyeol argued. “You don’t even allow her to talk to me without you or Suho-hyung by her side.” He added softly.

 

“Let’s talk about this next time, alright? For now, let me tend to my sick sister. She’s shouting in pain again.” Luhan told him before saying a quick goodbye and walking briskly back to her room.

 

“Is Joonmyun-oppa on his way home?” Miyoung asked, assuming that Luhan was talking to Suho when he went out earlier. If she had known that it was Chanyeol he was talking to, she might have brightened up and would have forgotten her cramps momentarily.

 

“Uh, yeah. It wasn’t him that I was talking to though. It was one of the members wishing for you to be well soon, so princess, you have to feel better.”

 

“It’s not like I want to feel this pain, oppa.” Miyoung muttered.

 

Suddenly, an idea formed in Luhan’s mind. It was something that made so much sense, and he does not even know why he did not think of using that method to help ease the pain she was feeling.

 

Luhan hurriedly went to the bathroom where the cupboard containing the medicines that Suho had conveniently restocked was placed. Once he found the cool menthol rub that he always uses to get rid of his physical pain, he went back to Miyoung’s room and handed it to her.

 

“Here, apply this wherever you feel the pain.” He instructed.

 

“I hate its smell.” Miyoung replied in disgust as the strong smell that she had always referred to as the ‘old man’s smell’ infiltrated her nose. She didn’t like it at all but apparently, Luhan loves it so much. She does not understand why though, as she could only say that she hates it for its smell.

 

“Yah, Kim Miyoung! You better rub that ointment now or I’ll do it for you!” Luhan threatened although he did not look threatening at all. In fact, Miyoung thought that her brother looked adorable.

 

Knowing that Luhan does not give empty threats, she immediately rubbed it across her belly, massaging herself in the process too.

 

“Good. Now, go to sleep. I’ll keep you company and wait for Suho with you.” Luhan laid down beside Miyoung, scratching her head lightly as she snuggled close to him.

 

“When Joonmyun-oppa arrives, wake me up, okay? He knows how to stop the pain better than I do.” Miyoung murmured sleepily once she was snuggling comfortably against him.

 

Luhan simply murmured back in agreement before taking the book that he gave her and reading it as soothed Miyoung and waited for Suho to arrive.

 

It wasn’t long before Suho arrived. Given that Miyoung was in great pain, Suho asked Xiumin (who brought his car to their schedule) to drive him home as quickly as possible. He couldn’t simply leave Miyoung to Luhan although he knew that he wouldn’t really leave their sister in her room by herself; he simply needs an assurance that Miyoung is not feeling as bad as she always does when that time of the month comes.

 

“Thank you, hyung! I’ll make it up to you somehow!” With the soup and other things that Chanyeol had asked him to deliver to Miyoung safely in his arms, he ran up the stairs as soon as he locked their house’s door. It didn’t take him a minute before he bounded up the stairs and knocked on Miyoung’s door.

 

“Is she okay now?” Suho asked when he saw Miyoung sleeping.

 

“I don’t think so. She told me to wake her up when you’re here.”

 

“I’ll do it. Just rest, I know that you’re tired.” He told Luhan with a smile.

 

“Not as tired as you are. What happened during the shoot? How did Chanyeol know?”

 

 “He’s a bit… sneaky, I should say. While I was talking to you over the phone, he was listening in. Then right after I hung up on you, he went to the drugstore across the street then to the Chinese restaurant to buy her what she needs. When he came back, he handed me all the things that Miyoung-ah would probably need.”

 

“That boy’s a bit too persistent, isn’t he?” Luhan commented, also chuckling in the process.

 

“Yeah, I agree. I think it’s time to let him do as he wants, eh?”

 

“Yeah. I’m beginning to think that we should let him court our Miyoung.” Luhan answered affectionately. “But still, I don’t think that it would be right for her. We both know that not everyone would be accepting her as Chanyeol’s girlfriend. I wouldn’t want her to be hurt because of our fans.”

 

“You two know that this is a matter which I should be deciding on myself, don’t you?” Miyoung suddenly muttered, surprising her older brothers. She opened her eyes then and looked at them.

 

“You heard us. It’s not that we don’t want Chanyeol for you. We don’t want what the fans could do to you.” Luhan told her.

 

“But I also like him. You two know that more than anyone else. In fact, you are the only people I told about my little crush on Chanyeol.”

 

Actually, her crush on Chanyeol had been going on for years. Ever since the first time Suho brought him to their home when they were still trainees, Miyoung had already seen him as a potential love interest. However, her brothers weren’t too happy to hear about it.

 

“Both of you also know that I am more than capable of knowing what I’m going for, right?”

 

“Of course, Miyoung-ah. But dating an idol is one of those decisions that you shouldn’t even be thinking about! Look what happened to those girls that our sunbae had dated. They were bullied and harassed! We don’t want you to experience anything like that.” Suho explained gently.

 

“It’s not like we’re going to go all out. Chanyeol and I had talked about this, actually. We both know that it would be hard, but we have decided to always just lie low and not to go on dates in the public.”

 

“Come on, let’s talk about this tomorrow. For now, just eat this soup that Suho brought you.” Luhan told her as he opened the bowl’s lid. “And Chanyeol bought for you.” He added.

 

“Yes, Chanyeol bought this soup for you… everything I have with me, in fact. So you should just eat up then sleep to feel better.” Suho gave her a warm smile, as if telling her that he approves of something. What it is, she wasn’t sure.

 

Unnoticed by Miyoung, Suho and Luhan shared a look, agreeing on something.

 

“Are you feeling better?” Suho asked after she ate.

 

“Yeah. The smelly medicine seems to really make wonders.”

 

“Smelly as it may be, it feels good, doesn’t it?”

 

“It does. Now, if only I could pass on this experience to the male population.” She grudgingly spat out. Out of all the things she could experience, having her monthly period is something that she has always hated.

 

“If it’s that bad, then I wouldn’t want to have that, princess.” Luhan stood up from her bed, tucking her in to let her sleep again. “Call us if you’re feeling unwell again, okay?”

 

“Good night, princess!” Suho called out before he and Luhan walked out of the room and into their living room.

 

“We’ve no choice now, right?” Luhan asked Suho as they sat.

 

“I believe so… you know, I’m more than okay with Miyoung dating Chanyeol. He may be playful, but he’s more than serious with our sister, I know.”

 

“Yeah. He talks to me about her every day, asking if I would let him take her out on a date. Let’s face it, she’s right. She’s old enough to make decisions by herself.”

 

“Mm, you’re right. And I know just how we could bring them together.”

 

 

 

Oppa, what time will you be home?” Miyoung asked as pain infiltrated her system once more.

 

“I’m sorry Miyoung, but Suho and I couldn’t go home tonight. We have a schedule to finish, and I doubt that it’ll end even before the night falls.” Luhan excused.

 

“How will I get through this, then?” She whined.

 

“You’ll get by, I promise. The smelly medicine’s in the bathroom, take it and apply it to yourself then go to sleep.” He answered before telling her that he had to go.

 

“Ugh, fine! But go home as soon as you can, okay? Go to my room and sleep beside me.”

 

“Okay, I promise you. Good night!”

 

As soon as Luhan had hung up, a knock came to her bedroom door. She shouted for the person to come in as she rolled over again in pain, doing the same things she did when she felt the same exact pain exactly a month ago.

 

“What are you doing?” A deep voice asked her, also chuckling a little.

 

“C-c-chanyeol-ah! What are you doing here?!” She asked, flabbergasted to see him there.

 

“Well, your brothers told me that you’re having your period and that you might need my help, so here I am! Oh, and I bought you sanitary napkins.”

 

“They told you what?!”

 

“That you have your period and you might need –“

 

“Oh, I’m killing those two!” She began thinking of ways to show her grudge towards her brothers as she felt extremely embarrassed about what they did. Telling a boy that a girl has her period is just a big no-no. And asking him to bring her sanitary napkins is an even bigger no-no.

 

“Relax! They meant well.” He placed the items on her bedside table, also opening the lid of the bowl of hot soup he bought for her. “Eat this, I heard that this eases the cramps.”

 

“Shut it, Chanyeol. I don’t want you talking about my cramps as if it were normal.” She told him quietly.

 

“But it is normal for boyfriends to take care of their girlfriends when they’re sick. I believe that you’re sick, and I’m here to take care of you!” He gave her a warm and big grin, instantly comforting her.

 

“But still –“ she realized what he said just then. “What do you mean by ‘boyfriend’”?

 

“Well, your brothers have finally agreed to let me date you. I believe that you would want me to be your boyfriend as much as I would like for you to be my girlfriend, Miyoung-ah.”

 

She remained speechless, not knowing how to react to his statement. Slowly, her frown turned into a smile, and as he took her hands, Miyoung knew that she already have three boys who would take care of her when her cramps bother her again.

 

 

 


 

 

What did I just write? Haha!

I certainly wish that I have an older brother who would take care of me while I’m having cramps. LOL. Unfortunately, I don’t have an older brother. And although my younger brother helps by buying me medicine (and sanitary napkins), it isn’t really a lot when the pain’s too much. LOL.

Why am I even telling you this?

Anyway, I hope that you liked the story!